Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Hasn't Linus said before he only does Apple videos because the profit margin is insane?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wirth1000 posted:

Like the whole "Hey, Apple offers 5 years of support for their devices but oh wait it's actually only 5 years from the launch of the phone so it's actually some sort of cloak'n'dagger bullshit!!" point was just insane.

Apple support is some bullshit that tells you they are the best over and over until you believe it.

I have an aunt who was having disabling medical issues from the spring through about a month ago. While this was going on she got an email from apple that her macbook was on the list for a battery recall. Since I was visiting her I made a 1 hour trip up to syracuse to the nearest apple store to get it replaced, because she was spending 90% of her day lying down with the laptop in bed. Made the advance appointment through apple's service app, was thinking "wow I guess this is what you pay for".

I was extremely disappointed by apple's legendary service. When I got there they told me that they'd be boxing it up and shipping it to a service center, 2-3 weeks turnaround time. I was like "what the gently caress did I come all the way here for then?" -- apple's messages on the subject implied that you could ship it to them or have it fixed at an apple store. No mention that the 'genius bar' was just a more involved method of shipping it.

And when I was unhappy and asking if there was any other way to do this, the guy said they could do a battery replacement on site right then -- if I paid like $200 for a new battery rather than doing the recall replacement.

tl;dr gently caress apple and their fake-rear end luxury brand image

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Klyith posted:

tl;dr gently caress apple and their fake-rear end luxury brand image

If you want to get really mad... Watch some select videos by Louis Rossman or iPadRehab on Youtube.

They are 3rd party repair places that champion right to repair and also specifically do repair on Apple products. They definitely have nothing nice to say about Apple and their repair policies.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RIxgAgmfpk

Here it is. The video that made me finally say "gently caress this channel" and unsubscribe from Linus.

Far be it from me to be a fanboy of any product when it comes to Apple vs. Android but the way Linus always loving stretches some point super thin just to get some dig at Apple in any way he can its bizarre.

Like the whole "Hey, Apple offers 5 years of support for their devices but oh wait it's actually only 5 years from the launch of the phone so it's actually some sort of cloak'n'dagger bullshit!!" point was just insane. What is this dude's loving problem? Christ. He's reaching Louis Rossman levels of seeing shadows where there's not and that Adored guy's hatred against nVidia thinking they're the third reich's GPU division.

Linus is being honest and blunt about Apple products, value wise buying the latest iPhone is not a great deal. If you own last years model it will probably still be a functional, usable phone just without all the new bells and whistles of the latest model. In recent years, phones (both Apple and Android) are reaching a point where yearly upgrades are becoming less necessary, the processors are fast enough and new software is not demanding a faster processor.

Linus didn't call the 5 year support claim "cloak'n'dagger bullshit" - he explicitly stated that the $100 price drop for a last generation iPhone is simply taking off paying for 1 year of support. If you buy a new iPhone today (technically, on it's release date) you get 5 years of support (minus how ever many days since the phones release), and if you go with a last generation iPhone you get a $100 discount and 1 less year of support. Longevity wise, Linus claimed this makes a last gen iPhone cost the same as a brand new iPhone due to having to replace the last gen phone 1 year earlier. That said, I doubt anyone who cares much is keeping their phones for 5 or even 4 years so the supported life just shouldn't really matter in my opinion, but the last gen iPhones are not a significantly better value than a brand new iPhone.

I do think Linus has probably made some wrong, incorrect or even just stupid and biased claims in the past, but I cant think of any at the moment and I don't consider this a an example of an unfair claim. Similarly, I will agree that Rossman is a bit of a foamer with a lot of hate towards Apple, but at the same time I think a lot of Rossman's hate is justified, I agree with his point of view on the right to repair. If I made a living repairing iPhones I would be mad too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

stevewm posted:

If you want to get really mad... Watch some select videos by Louis Rossman or iPadRehab on Youtube.

They are 3rd party repair places that champion right to repair and also specifically do repair on Apple products. They definitely have nothing nice to say about Apple and their repair policies.

Their hostility to user repairing is annoying, but I'm not sure how relevant it is to anyone outside the techie crowd. Like, I'd love it if electronics repair was more of an option across all devices, but I'd be pessimistic about how much repairing would actually get done by society as a whole. Electronics & appliance repair was a dying profession even before everyone had glued-together cellphones and laptops that disassemble like a puzzle box. The problem is that a lot of things cost less to buy a new one than to repair, because the assembly is paid in china wages but the repair would be in US wages.

I guess Apple is one of the few companies making stuff that would be cost-effective to repair, and that's why they're so hostile to anyone being able to replace a cracked screen for less than $300.

But Apple hitting a trifecta of expensive, unserviceable, and a lovely time-wasting experience is what makes me lose my mind.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Their hostility to user repairing is annoying, but I'm not sure how relevant it is to anyone outside the techie crowd.

It's relevant to anyone who doesn't live close to an Apple Store. There are a bunch of cell phone repair shops around me, but the nearest AASP is two hours away so I ether get to gamble on grey market parts or take a day trip when my iPhone needs a battery or screen.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I think it's more that it's emblematic of Apple's DGAF about what consumers want/need attitude. The times Apple has been innovative, it's been that they were very good at predicting things users didn't know they wanted. Lately, Apple frequently seems to know what consumers would want and just not give a gently caress.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Just popping in to say that, after about 2 months of getting hooked on a variety of tech youtubers to educate myself properly about the state of hardware these days, my specific feelings can best be summed up as follows: Watching Jayztwocents and Buildzoid is far too familiar for comfort at times, but I keep coming back if they do something on an interesting topic, Gamers Nexus or Der8auer are a golden experience, Hardware Unboxed is always a pleasure and LinusTechTips has me hooked purely due to Stockholm Syndrome by this point. That is all.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I've found myself watching JayzTwoCents in spurts. The watercooling vids tend to blur into one most of the time although one of his recent videos with metal tubing was pretty interesting and different.

That InWin case is also insane.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jayz seems like a douche who thinks he is playing a douche for his channel

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'd just say he's neurotic TBH. It's what makes him actually pretty entertaining when interacting with others on channel, but p overbearing on his own.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I like Jay, he seems like a decent person. In his most recent video he made a build for a friend who's a special ed teacher.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Linus also ends that video by saying 'just buy the newest iPhone as soon as it comes out if you want one', which isn't the most anti-apple message either.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

K8.0 posted:

I think it's more that it's emblematic of Apple's DGAF about what consumers want/need attitude. The times Apple has been innovative, it's been that they were very good at predicting things users didn't know they wanted. Lately, Apple frequently seems to know what consumers would want and just not give a gently caress.
How so? I think Apple knows that people want a headphone jack on the iPhone but DGAF. I think Apple knows people want more than 1 USB-C port per on the Macbook but DGAF. Is this a product of actually making the products, smaller, slimmer, lighter and thus better overall or a result of selling more poo poo? The headphone jack I can sorta see since "everybody is using wireless headphones now" - which could be a result of the drat phone not having a headphone jack in the first place!

Similarly, I had an issue with a group project last year where we had to do a presentation. We finished the presentation, we go to decide who is going to bring the laptop and run the presentation, one of the girls in the group proudly announced "I will bring my Macbook!" Another group member asked if it would connect to the projector to which the girl replied "Duh! it's a Mac! It will connect to anything!" The day of the presentation, the presenter came in late and angry and then proceeded to fumble around for 5 minutes trying to find the non-existent HDMI port on her Macbook. The whole group knew this from the start of the project, we knew the exactly that this would require a laptop or something with HDMI. Finally after the teacher threatened to fail my group the girl agreed to e-mail me the presentation so I could use my HP crap book because her Macbook didn't have a regular USB-A port for a flash drive either.

Also on Linus' Apple hatred, I kinda thought he was a whiny bitch in his Mac Pro repair until I learned that Apple was out right refusing to even allow him to pay to repair the computer. What if a car BMW dealerships treated customers like poo poo this way? You broke your car's seat? gently caress you, buy a new car. You need new tires? gently caress you, buy a new car. Your car needs an oil change? Just change your whole car instead.

TLDR, I am occasionally jealous of (older) Mac hardware but I absolutely loath everything about the ignorant Mac users who just assume their piece of poo poo is compatible with everything

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Apple wouldn’t allow him to pay them to repair his hosed up Mac because of liability and injury concerns to the techs who have to figure out exactly what the very excitable Canadian sandal enthusiast did and how best to clean up his mess.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Apple wouldn’t allow him to pay them to repair his hosed up Mac because of liability and injury concerns to the techs who have to figure out exactly what the very excitable Canadian sandal enthusiast did and how best to clean up his mess.

Nah it was a pricey imac pro and I think anthony dropped the lcd and broke it, and Apple said "welp it's too new and you disassembled the unit WARRANTY VOIDED go gently caress yourselves"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Crotch Fruit posted:

Also on Linus' Apple hatred, I kinda thought he was a whiny bitch in his Mac Pro repair until I learned that Apple was out right refusing to even allow him to pay to repair the computer. What if a car BMW dealerships treated customers like poo poo this way? You broke your car's seat? gently caress you, buy a new car. You need new tires? gently caress you, buy a new car. Your car needs an oil change? Just change your whole car instead.

TLDR, I am occasionally jealous of (older) Mac hardware but I absolutely loath everything about the ignorant Mac users who just assume their piece of poo poo is compatible with everything

That is exactly how a lot of car dealerships would operate. I've read stories of engines going pop within warranty periods which for one reason or another the manufacturer has refused to cover. I know Audi have an internal database of vehicles on which they blacklist cars which have been modified in a way that they believe could affect the car's reliability and I'm fairly confident it is standard practice that warranties will expressly state the conditions for keeping the warranty valid, such as servicing requirements and generally not loving around with the vehicle.

In that situation, Linus didn't break a seat, need tyres or oil, he took the car apart and then did pikachu shocked face when broadcasting him voiding his warranty to his YouTube channel bit him in the rear end.

None of this is in defence of Apple, mind. But I work on the basis that the whole saga was a net win for Linus in terms of additional views and 15 minutes of fame in the wider world as the guy who broke a $5k+ Mac in the most Linus of ways. If nothing else it was a mildly entertaining PSA to other Mac owners not to take their new computers apart less ye be excommunicated from the Church of Cupertino.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Theophany posted:

In that situation, Linus didn't break a seat, need tyres or oil, he took the car apart and then did pikachu shocked face when broadcasting him voiding his warranty to his YouTube channel bit him in the rear end.

Opening A Machine Cannot Void The Warranty.

Apple was being a bunch of dicks about it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AlternateAccount posted:

Opening A Machine Cannot Void The Warranty.

Apple was being a bunch of dicks about it.

It wasn't that it was opened, it was that it was abused, which it was. they destroyed the thing when they opened it. I'm not an Apple defender either, but there's no way the repair should have been covered by warranty.

Also, Linus wasn't even trying to get a warranty repair, he was willing to pay full price just for a repair but Apple doesn't really do repairs, they do replacements and a replacement was going to be very very costly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The ridiculous part was that apple refused repairs while also saying that they're the only people who can do repairs, it's sort of the perfect situation for the right to repair movement to highlight

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah a BMW dealer dgaf if you bring them a clearly out of warranty car. They'll still happily sell you parts and service. Apple won't because gently caress you.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I Imagine if this was Apple instead of Microsoft LTT wouldn't be around any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3bezYerYxQ

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Harminoff posted:

I Imagine if this was Apple instead of Microsoft LTT wouldn't be around any more.

hasn’t he done half a million hackintosh videos? it’s not as if they’re a sponsor or anything

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Did you actually watch the video? It's a response to a bunch of viewers freaking out at the activation notices and he walks them through how activating doesn't make any sense for temporary demo machines, explains his licensing and shows how he keeps licenses on hand for those machines, they just don't get activated.

It's a clickbait title and sane video, which is the same as most LTT content; it's explaining why and how he wouldn't get sued/he's fine if he gets audited, etc. He's not actually a pirate, it just looks that way to the uninformed.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Linus sucks, but his hatred of Apple is correct

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Yeah a BMW dealer dgaf if you bring them a clearly out of warranty car. They'll still happily sell you parts and service. Apple won't because gently caress you.
This is exactly my point, almost any other product I can think of, you can buy a repair part if you break it. Yes, you will void your warranty but who cares if you can actually repair the thing. If I caught my car's seat on fire while smoking a cigarette (and somehow didn't torch the rest of the vehicle), I would like to be able to buy just a seat from BMW and possibly pay a dealer certified trained tech to replace it, but I wouldn't expect to buy a whole new car.

Apple is like the BMW dealer who says they make new seats but the seats are only available for warranty repairs. 3rd party shops can also get the parts, but they are tracked and must only be used in Apple approved warranty repairs or the shop will be excommunicated. Paying for the parts or paying for the repair is impossible because *reasons*.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

How so? I think Apple knows that people want a headphone jack on the iPhone but DGAF. I think Apple knows people want more than 1 USB-C port per on the Macbook but DGAF. Is this a product of actually making the products, smaller, slimmer, lighter and thus better overall or a result of selling more poo poo? The headphone jack I can sorta see since "everybody is using wireless headphones now" - which could be a result of the drat phone not having a headphone jack in the first place!

Similarly, I had an issue with a group project last year where we had to do a presentation. We finished the presentation, we go to decide who is going to bring the laptop and run the presentation, one of the girls in the group proudly announced "I will bring my Macbook!" Another group member asked if it would connect to the projector to which the girl replied "Duh! it's a Mac! It will connect to anything!" The day of the presentation, the presenter came in late and angry and then proceeded to fumble around for 5 minutes trying to find the non-existent HDMI port on her Macbook. The whole group knew this from the start of the project, we knew the exactly that this would require a laptop or something with HDMI. Finally after the teacher threatened to fail my group the girl agreed to e-mail me the presentation so I could use my HP crap book because her Macbook didn't have a regular USB-A port for a flash drive either.

This has nothing to do with macs and everything to do with a bad classmate.

I say this as a guy who bought a used 2015 MacBook Pro this summer because I want the ports on me and not have to carry a dongle.

But again, almost all computer users I know are not tech savvy. Mac users and pc users. They just want it to work.

Same issue I have with the right to repair stuff. Yes, it would be nice. But how many people would actually do it?

In an ideal world, Apple (or Microsoft, who’s surface books are even worse to repair) wouldn’t care and still make it easier for repair shops to fix things... oh wait, Apple just did with their new repair initiative.
Also, the whole Linus iMac issue is just a nice way for him to get outrage clicks. Because he only took it apart to beef it up, something that does in fact void the warranty.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

That doesn't change the fact that it's dumb as hell you can't get it repaired outside the warranty even if you're willing to pay. If I get a drat Dell and I'm willing to pay I can still get them to send a tech out to wherever I want to fix my computer after the warranty expires. I did that with a three year old laptop a few years back because spending a few hundred dollars on a motherboard repair was still cheaper than buying a brand new laptop I didn't need

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GutBomb posted:

It wasn't that it was opened, it was that it was abused, which it was. they destroyed the thing when they opened it. I'm not an Apple defender either, but there's no way the repair should have been covered by warranty.

Also, Linus wasn't even trying to get a warranty repair, he was willing to pay full price just for a repair but Apple doesn't really do repairs, they do replacements and a replacement was going to be very very costly.

Yes. Linus basically said I BROKE IT, PLZ FIX, BILL ME WHATEVER IT COSTS. Apple denied it out of some kind of rear end in a top hat bullshit principle.

LionArcher posted:

Because he only took it apart to beef it up, something that does in fact void the warranty.

Also untrue.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes. Linus basically said I BROKE IT, PLZ FIX, BILL ME WHATEVER IT COSTS. Apple denied it out of some kind of rear end in a top hat bullshit principle.

Also untrue.

Also untrue that they denied it because of principle. Legal reasons are there.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

LionArcher posted:

Also untrue that they denied it because of principle. Legal reasons are there.

I scrolled back up in the thread and didn't see, what was the basis?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus wasn't the only prominent Techtuber to have repair issues with the iMac Pro. Snazzy Labs had an issue where the official VESA mount kit broke the mounting bracket on his system and when the Apple store tried to fix it they mangled the stand and mount even worse. In the end Apple replaced his whole computer but it took him posting a video about the issue for that to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG_NRcy5mxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OceuTkSYNo

Maybe the issue isn't the users here...

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Arivia posted:

Did you actually watch the video? It's a response to a bunch of viewers freaking out at the activation notices and he walks them through how activating doesn't make any sense for temporary demo machines, explains his licensing and shows how he keeps licenses on hand for those machines, they just don't get activated.

It's a clickbait title and sane video, which is the same as most LTT content; it's explaining why and how he wouldn't get sued/he's fine if he gets audited, etc. He's not actually a pirate, it just looks that way to the uninformed.

I'm not rewatching that dumb video again, but from memory he just had a pile of retail keys no a shelf and went "see we got keys! We good!", ignoring the fact there's no way he's complying with MS's licensing terms, there's way better ways to license it as a business that would be 100 times easier to stay in compliance and actually activate them.

But then, he is also the guy that had a dumb giant RAID monstrosity that he had to pay a shitload of money to recover data from when a disk died.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rudager posted:

I'm not rewatching that dumb video again, but from memory he just had a pile of retail keys no a shelf and went "see we got keys! We good!", ignoring the fact there's no way he's complying with MS's licensing terms, there's way better ways to license it as a business that would be 100 times easier to stay in compliance and actually activate them.

But then, he is also the guy that had a dumb giant RAID monstrosity that he had to pay a shitload of money to recover data from when a disk died.

Microsoft licensing also generally allows use of products in dev and test environments without paid licenses. At least if you have a corp SA agreement.

The idea that you should activate a copy of Windows installed for 3 days on a test machine for a video or validation is insane.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rudager posted:

There is no way to volume licence devices that don't already have an OEM Windows install on - so either you burn a license for each board you install the software on, or you purchase enough licenses to comply with the spirit of the licensing but never bother activating them since they are so short lived.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Here's Steve, praying you don't buy a XFX Thicc

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Is there a LTT "tech clown" replacement that doesn't have two baked in sponsor slots, a merchandise plug and a subscription request in every video? I already watch Gamers Nexus for the real info, but need someone to fill my "drops expensive things and sets up a RAID system poorly" desires.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Doesn't Gamers Nexus have all that too? Granted his sponsor spots are better (EVGA CLC hair cooling and cat website still make me smile) but he also does merch plugs if he uses the modmat or tool set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Doesn't Gamers Nexus have all that too? Granted his sponsor spots are better (EVGA CLC hair cooling and cat website still make me smile) but he also does merch plugs if he uses the modmat or tool set

Yeah, but he does it organically as in "hey we're gonna use our tools and our mod mat to take this thing apart" instead of Linus' oh BY THE WAY BUY MY UNDERWAR/AWTER BOTTLE AND ALL THIS poo poo in your face every loving time.