Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

axeil posted:

for a fun time go post that on the arena subreddit and watch the howling masses lose their minds

I hate the 2:1 wildcard thing too, but the MTGA reddit is OBSESSED with it. Only 2:1 wildcard that I would be fine with is for sets like Modern Masters/Horizons/etc., but they will change it back of Historic isn't doing so great. It'll be future good pr and a promotion. Ppl just need to calm down about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have a feeling they're gonna lose this one. They're also losing it because people are more interested in card previews than people who have never spent a dime on the game begging people to not spend money on the game.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

fadam posted:

Regardless of how superficial the similarities between them, never count any two fictional characters out as being related. People go nuts for it.
Whenever you think about storyline stuff in wotc, contemplate if you'd see it in a 2002 big 2 comic book, because that's what their team likes.

MikeCrotch posted:

Speaking of if anyone has not yet purchased a Kaya av for 3000 gold, you need to re-evaluate your life
True, but I only pledge allegiance to the hotness (of Sarkhan)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Realtalk it was only after seeing the trailer for WAR that I realized "Oh the Gatewatch is basically the Avengers/Justice league"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm using Ral because I hope his smug visage enrages my opponent

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ral is even voiced by Superman!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I use Karn because Im not a goddamn philistine

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I use Jaya for the same reason.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

OP committing style crimes over there.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
i think using any premium counts as a style crime

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Arena needs white border lands that look distinctly played, so I can make my deck half white border lands

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Moose posted:

Arena needs white border lands that look distinctly played, so I can make my deck half white border lands

I absolutely hate that they are doing the premium cards the way they are instead of doing alpha frames, white borders, and art reprints from the 90s.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ruling question brought up in spoilers: If Oko makes a casket or Deputy of Detention into an Elk, does the "til" ability still persist?

Huxley posted:

I absolutely hate that they are doing the premium cards the way they are instead of doing alpha frames, white borders, and art reprints from the 90s.
Honestly they're probably holding that stuff back, if the game is currently making "Hasbro Happy" money dropping cosmetics that good is just winmore

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Huxley posted:

They gave us Mirage lands, I hope the rest is just a matter of time

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

zoux posted:

I have a feeling they're gonna lose this one. They're also losing it because people are more interested in card previews than people who have never spent a dime on the game begging people to not spend money on the game.

I think they are too. It's a dumb thing to change but it makes sense why they're doing it. I just hope it means Historic isn't stillborn due to lack of a playerbase.

I still think they might decide to axe the 15-20 random cards and just start adding sets as blocks though as that makes more sense for a format.

As for avatar I use Karn because I'm a sad robot too :v:

Huxley posted:

the planecation events giving away different land art has been the only cosmetic i've been interested in so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As time goes on, it's going to be a lot more expensive to stay current with standard than historic, a new set might have a couple of cards that slot into your favorite Historic deck, but maybe not and then there's no reason to buy anything from new sets at all. So I imagine that WotC would rather people play standard than historic and support for historic will probably reflect that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

I'm using Ral because I hope his smug visage enrages my opponent
I use Nicol Bolas because wanting to loving kill everybody so they'll shut up and do what I say speaks to me

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Alpha frames or 90s reprint art would be awesome. The special cosmetic art for all the cards (the 3D shift/wobble thing) is lame as hell. And it seems like it'd be even more work to produce than previous art reprints.

I figure they just saw gold cards from Hearthstone and tried to do that, except it was one dude, and he was tasked with coming up with a plan in a week.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’m surprised at how much negativity I’ve seen surrounding the plans to throw a bit of non-standard spice into Historic every few months. As long as it’s not a pain in the rear end to get the cards, making Historic more than just slightly bigger standard seems like a great idea, and putting stuff banned in Modern in does a lot to make it more than just “Modern, but lovely”

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

zoux posted:

As time goes on, it's going to be a lot more expensive to stay current with standard than historic, a new set might have a couple of cards that slot into your favorite Historic deck, but maybe not and then there's no reason to buy anything from new sets at all. So I imagine that WotC would rather people play standard than historic and support for historic will probably reflect that.
you've played hearthstone. you know it doesnt work this way.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I can't fault them too much for wanting to prioritize and incentivize the play pattern most likely to keep them in a job.

So 2:1 is a slim bummer, but it is a problem a wallet can solve if I want it to badly enough, so it'll all work out one way or another.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I like it but some people want Historic to grow naturally.

Which is stupid of course because it means it's not worth playing for like four years.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you don't buy the Kaya AV you've outed yourself as racist already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Wave posted:

you've played hearthstone. you know it doesnt work this way.

That's exactly how it works. Wild got zero support for years, they didn't make a card change to help it until they nerfed Patches

big turtle!

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 12, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Because people want to see the emergence of a new modern to supplant the "Budget decks are only $890" format that Modern has become. Oh I guess burn is only 696. So more than I paid for my S10 to play burn.

The adding random cards thing confirms it as a joke and also further increases the high price of entry for anyone who joins the format later on, as wizards has long loved rarity bumping old powerful cards.

Personally I'll finish my cycle of checklands and maybe play it next year, I feel like Brawl in October will carry me with Throne for the rest of the year.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Yessssss I finally got a 7 win on M20 Draft. God drat it I love drafting I wish I wasn't so bad.

1RR + 2RR Chandra and the GR Elemental ayyyyy

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
At some point, "good and fair cards that we're never going to put in standard again" entering the card pool is really exciting, and as long as there's a way to get them other than happening to be online during the week they put them in (which obviously there will be), I don't see any downside whatsoever.

What are people even mad about? At some point a Shock format grows into a Bolt format, and putting in Bolt is going to be the right call. Same for like, Birds or Snapcaster or one of the good Lilianas.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

putting in bolt will not be a good call unless your intention is to invalidate like 90 percent of the playable creatures.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bolt would be too good in the first year, but 3-4 years from now it'll be safe.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

how will bolt ever be safe if the rest of the format was not designed around bolt?

Like I get it eternal format magic players want to play with the same 15 cards for all eternity but lets not pretend there's any other reason to put it in there.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 12, 2019

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

No Wave posted:

how will bolt ever be safe if the rest of the format was not designed around bolt?

Like I get it eternal format magic players want to play with the same 15 cards for all eternity but lets not pretend there's any other reason to put it in there.

There are plenty of decks that don't particularly care if you're 1-1ing their creatures with a bolt. If you want to double bolt Kethis or Golos go right ahead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Huxley posted:

Bolt would be too good in the first year, but 3-4 years from now it'll be safe.

We’re all gonna be dead tho

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

There are plenty of decks that don't particularly care if you're 1-1ing their creatures with a bolt. If you want to double bolt Kethis or Golos go right ahead.
would it break the format? probably not. but is there any good reason at all to print it besides making the eternal formats feel more similar to one another?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

We’re all gonna be dead tho

I made children, so for my own sanity I have to live in hope that humanity holds out long enough for them to cast Lightning Bolt in Magic The Gathering: Arena.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

we already have bolt for all intents and purposes, we have the spectacle bolt. It didn't invalidate 3-toughness creatures any more than lava coil invalidated 4-toughness creatures. Also lightning strike sees a lot of play.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Dude, Skewer isn't even close to Bolt.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wish the game would tell me how many times I cast Wizard's Lightning for 1 vs 3.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

lightning strike seeing a lot of play is a great reason NOT to print bolt

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm afraid if you cannot bolt the bird it's just not real Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shock the Goose would be common if Goose sees lots of play, which it currently doesn't look like it will.