Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
Sad I missed out on the closure. Not sad that I can get in at the ground floor again. How does a $4k for cyber sound?

Also, anyone else looking forward to Q1/Q2 of 2020? I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sad I missed out on the closure. Not sad that I can get in at the ground floor again. How does a $4k for cyber sound?

You were sorely missed. I myself am looking forward to all quarters of all years.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

SoftNum posted:

TW2002 or LorD 4 lyf

Love this game

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I think my first video game was a cocktail table version of Surround in the back bar of a Bonanza steakhouse.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Given that I lived in a post-communist European country it's truly a wonder that my first game was Superfrog for the C64.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

I think my first video game was a cocktail table version of Surround in the back bar of a Bonanza steakhouse.

Arthur Fonzerelli?

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-players-arent-impressed-with-the-new-dollar7-fridge/

quote:

Amid the new cosmetic items are a pair of utility items. The refrigerator lets you store food and drink to slow down the speed at which they spoil. The collectron station, meanwhile, sends out a wee robots to search for scrap and junk. They cost 700 and 500 Atoms respectively.

While Atoms can be earned in-game, they can also be purchased for real cash in bundles. Together, they cost 1200 Atoms, so you'd need to buy a 500 and 1100 bundle, amounting to £12/$15. These items, then, cost more than a lot of people paid for the game itself.

Originally, Bethesda said that only cosmetic items would be sold, but that quickly ceased to be true when repair kits were added to the shop.

Tee hee.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

tooterfish posted:

It's a shame those old Atari joysticks weren't natively compatible with the human hand.

loving torture devices.

Did you ever use the Intellivision controllers?

Now those are worthy of the Stimpire!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3_7tXqF5UM

Life-n00bs.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Iceclaw posted:

Something something your mum.

You had to go there didn't you :D

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Go to pussy, Satan.

gently caress you Timo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This is polygon doom levels of bad play right here

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

gently caress you!

Knight rider! Airwolf! Automan! Manimal! Blue Thunder! The Highwayman! Sledgehammer! Magmun loving PI! The A-Team! Miami Vice! Moonlighting! MacGyver!

Case dismissed!

I don't know about the other ones, but surely MacGyver was mid-to-late 80s, not early 80s?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ecavalli posted:

Nah, that expired in 2015: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/12/loading-screen-game-patent-finally-expires

As to why no one else does loading screen minigames, at this point it's kind of a mystery.

Hyrule Warriors allows you to play ocarina notes during certain Free Mode loading screens, at least on the Switch. That's the only one I can think of.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

My first game was probably the "Coleco Mini Arcade" version of Galaxian. Either that or some arcade game that I completely don't remember.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
And here's some vids from a game that actually works and is releasing soon on Steam.

Some combat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApofuOmlddI&t=4330s

Some chilling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFMvu_rC-hA

And a physics experiment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkrBkAsJ2I

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheCoach posted:

And here's some vids from a game that actually works and is releasing soon on Steam.

Some combat

Some chilling

And a physics experiment

This looks pretty great, and really highlights how many problems SC hasn't even begun to consider that will be necessary for the game they want.

Look at this actually functional UI over here.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ManofManyAliases posted:

Didn't they already say it's pushed back Q3?

Quoting the gently caress out of this

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes, MoMA.. It will be very exciting to hear their new, novel excuses for yet more delays.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

This looks pretty great, and really highlights how many problems SC hasn't even begun to consider that will be necessary for the game they want.

Look at this actually functional UI over here.

UI is a heavy work in progress tho.
Shame the chill vid was done by a guy who had some settings a bit too high and thus dropping frames rather badly (I play medium settings on a RX480 and don't drop frames as an example)

EDIT: As for technical stuff yeah, SC is not even really started, here you saw ships that did rubberband in warp but they were travelling near 1000km/s real distance and at those speeds doing collision detection or network correction is near impossible, so it's nice that Flavien managed to do it well enough that you can at least stay in a fleet relatively fine.

After speeds you got scale, it's kinda hard to tell from the perspective of the corvette player just how large the cruisers are as he never approaches them too close so here's a visual aid:
https://twitter.com/HutchingsINovae/status/1171965046466859009 You can pilot the carrier which is for all intents and purposes a flying space station really.

TheCoach fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 12, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

ManofManyAliases posted:

Space Court hits beta in Q2, should be good!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Kind of sad I missed the schadenfreude of the bigoted libertarian dope defending the honor of Chris Roberts's virtual ships with a racist babbling rant by like a month, but I found out about it because the same dope is now freaking out about pride rainbow and trans pride flags in a DLC story background image in Celeste.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
why did thread move

I almost filled my star citizen branded diapers (from the makers of spacedesk)

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Nothing about this sounds like it will be fun to play even if it does get released.

I can probably just try to play Elite Dangerous again or try out Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, or even try to get Freelancer to work instead, unless there's some other good spaceship games I'm missing.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

"This video game just isn't boring or listless enough. And what's with all the action? Ugh"

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Ummm, because you are hundreds of years in the future, supposedly automated systems should be doing this for you?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/patrickgladys/status/1172292085032083456

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

"#cave" "#procedural"

#:laffo:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Why are they building a procedural caves system for a space simulator? How is that a priority right now?

Your dumb game can't even host more than 50 people yet.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TheCoach posted:

Some combat

Some chilling

And a physics experiment

sry, but they triggered me with the word 'pledge'

I am feeling the same stupid rush I did back when I first gave money to CIG with this tho...goddamn sexy spae sheeps...

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Oh good it's time for another summary of

INSIDE STAR CITIZEN

The show where a bunch of flop-sweating idiots desperately scrape the bottom of the barrel to portray trivial crap as serious development milestones! This week's episode: holes in the ground!

Summary:
* Jared is talking, skip skip skip
* "Designers use those tools to create... traversible layers, suitable for a variety of gameplay needs." Maps. You meant to say "maps." You are making video game maps.
* They're interviewing the german devs in front of what is clearly a green screen, with a picture of their development office plastered on it. What the gently caress? Did they lose the office?
* We're talking about caves again today. We talked about caves before, but we're also talking about them again now. We will talk about caves more in the future. Caves are critical to the development of our spaceship game. This is not at all a reflection of how Cryengine basically sucks poo poo at anything that isn't regular FPS levels.
* The caves have lighting. Nobody cares.
* They've modeled pieces of rock to make the caves with. Literally nobody cares. Every video game for 30 years has had caves.
* They've unironically used procedural and fidelity multiple times. All they're showing is just loving rocks. This is the worst.
* Shocker, there will be random NPCshit in the caves. Explore and survive! Your ankles are going to break in the first 30 seconds.
* They realized that uniform grey rocks were impossible to navigate so they painted surfaces with lichen, i.e. bright yellow patches, to "Lead the player towards the navigatable path," just like every other loving video game ever.
* Is Star Citizen even about anything anymore? Is it just about keeping a bunch of video game designers permanently employed? Next year they're going to be doing sewer levels.
* There will be mining in these caves. FPS mining, in a cave, in the spaceship game.
* Oh my god every segment of this loving video is just about caves. The next segment is about atmosphere and lighting in the caves. gently caress this.
* Did you know that caves are pretty dark?
* They decided to add some bioluminescent plants to make the caves look nicer. Nobody's ever had this thought before.
* OH GOOD NOW WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE SOUNDSCAPE OF THE CAVES
* I can't. I just can't.
* Star Citizen is a complete fraud. Nobody asked for this. Nobody is excited about this. None of the fundamentals of the game work. This should have been a feature for your like, third MMO expansion, after you'd solved everything else. Instead it's the total focus of like half your loving company because you are so god drat incompetent that you literally cannot develop anything but the most basic features that CryEngine already provides to you.
* Then you round those incredibly meagre scraps up and try to fluff them into multiple sixteen-minute videos and it's so transparent that you have nothing, nothing that could even be considered a functional game mechanic. You're just frittering away your time and ours, pissing out money until this whole thing collapses.
* gently caress this show, gently caress Star Citizen, gently caress you for reading this. I'm out.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sarsapariller posted:

* They're interviewing the german devs in front of what is clearly a green screen, with a picture of their development office plastered on it. What the gently caress? Did they lose the office?

The true endgame of CIG is spending their millions of pledged, hard-scammed dollars to make massive CGI offices and eventually also people, proving how big their team and studios are still working on this as they slowly run out of money.

And when it finally runs out one day, Crobblers will turn off all the CGI in a massive greenscreen room, walk towards the camera and thank the faithful for allowing him to fulfill his dreams of being a truly avant-garde scam-artist filmmaker.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

gently caress you for reading this.

:(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hav posted:

The number of 'Pong' replies tends to really heavily underline the age of the backers.

My personal vidyagayme journey started with this bad boy;

All variations on small blob interacts with larger blobs. It blew capacitors on a fairly regular basis, and was my first entrance into the world of solid state electronics, a field that would almost completely disappear.

Squash 1 and Squash 2? Wow!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Popete posted:

Why are they building a procedural caves system for a space simulator? How is that a priority right now?

Because the dumb bastards with money burning holes in their pockets eat this poo poo up. They love the fantasy that this game will be every game ever. The more disperate systems they add the more they love it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

We are all hosed on this blessed day

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Popete posted:

Cryengine is pretty good at making caves. It's lousy at simulating a galaxy, space flight, space combat, or apparently elevators.

Besides, caves are probably one of the easiest levels to make, right? Draw distance and whatnot is easily limited in a cave. Nobody complains the sun in in the wrong spot in a cave. Long samey corridors are totally realistic for caves, giving you long travel times between points of interest to make the world seem big and complex. And it's easy to say that none of their buggy vehicles can navigate caves, so it's just a space dude walking around dark corridors. With the occasional large impressive chamber that looks good in screenshots.

A small team should be able to make mad progress banging out cave levels. The Elder Scrolls: Arena (1994) had procedurally generated caves and dungeons, and by TES 2: Daggerfall (1996) they were ridiculously complex to the point of being nearly unmappable and awful, so I assume this is a mature technology. CIG don't even need a sensible automap system, since that's not fidelity and commandos will probably be thrilled to find out that players who tediously map manually have an advantage over casuals. A twisting maze of nonsensical 3D tunnels where only the most dedicated players will be able to find the pirate cove black market or the cool underground lake is exactly what a certain type of player wants.

So you have a few guys make cryengine cave maps. Maybe Chris won't even interfere much since caves are boring. They could wow backers for years with the amazing progress they are making on this minor feature.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Because the dumb bastards with money burning holes in their pockets eat this poo poo up. They love the fantasy that this game will be every game ever. The more disperate systems they add the more they love it.

In a way, Chris owes everyone who has taken the piss out of these whales since this thing started. Because these guys are so terrifyingly insecure they fear being seen as marks, as victims of a scam more than pretty much anything. As a consequence any pathetic addition to Star Citizen has to go through the normal process of being hailed as something "never done before" and the cult must all acknowledge it as further proof that Star Citizen is the exact opposite of a scam: it's the greatest video game ever already.

This profound fear they have of being seen as weak because they believed someone's lies ties in quite closely with the desire to be the respected big man in the new universe. Like Kazan, they all seem utterly desperate for validation and respect.

Chris has struck gold here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
exactly so