Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mystes posted:

I think the reason banks in the US gave up on 2FA is that they don't want to deal with people who lose their tokens.

again that’s where the card readers shine. they’re interchangeable. lose it? use your partner’s, or drop into a branch and pick up a replacement. your “token” is your bank card, and everyone knows how to deal with lost cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
old people in the us would immediately be flooded with fake tokens that charge their cards.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

again that’s where the card readers shine. they’re interchangeable. lose it? use your partner’s, or drop into a branch and pick up a replacement. your “token” is your bank card, and everyone knows how to deal with lost cards
This makes sense but it would also make it even more inconvenient to report your card stolen.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

android isn't doing this poo poo any favors. Those poor suckers have to jump to a new phone install with new tokens every time they change devices, meanwhile I am using the same software token that I setup on my 3gs and have been migrating through 3 phones now
I assume you mean "google authenticator" not "android" since you can use any TOTP app for google?

In theory you don't want someone to be able to steal the token from your phone but I guess it doesn't necessarily make sense based on the actual threat model since it's much better to make it easy to use the tokens.

The recommended procedure is to just save the recovery codes and use those to get a new token for your new phone, but yeah that's massively inconvenient.

In practice people who can steal the codes from your phone are probably going to have an exploit to get root and steal them even if you don't allow backups. I guess if you were really worried an alternative compromise might be to save all the codes to somewhere safe (and encrypted) at the time they're generated but still use an app that doesn't allow you to export them.

U2F seems really nice because it helps protect against phishing (because it's based on the domain) and you only need one token, but almost nobody is using it yet.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Microsoft authenticator encrypts its icloud backups with a Microsoft account so you can do backups without the backups containing plain text totp codes.

for android I guess it just uses your Microsoft account to store the backups.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mystes posted:

U2F seems really nice because it helps protect against phishing (because it's based on the domain) and you only need one token, but almost nobody is using it yet.

u2f tokens still have insane markup if you want to buy them retail (aren't yubikeys still like $50/ea?) and ios blocks rfid for anything that isn't their own payment system so we're stuck with u2f only making sense for your company's SSO

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TinkerSec/status/1172174714833428482?s=20

mystes
May 31, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

u2f tokens still have insane markup if you want to buy them retail (aren't yubikeys still like $50/ea?) and ios blocks rfid for anything that isn't their own payment system so we're stuck with u2f only making sense for your company's SSO
Yubikeys do a ton of stuff that u2f tokens don't need to do. U2f tokens are dead simple and don't need any writable storage at all, so they are already cheaper and probably would be dirt cheap if there was actual demand for them.

(FIDO2 tokens, which support passwordless login, do need some actual storage to remember usernames though.)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
yeah yubikeys are also smart cards with built-in card readers.

we use them for our GPG keys (which in turn are used for SSH).

they own

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Soricidus posted:

come to Europe. uk banks all hand out chip devices where you stick in your debit card and enter your pin to get a one-time code, or some of them just have authenticated tokens that are the same principle but the thing-you-have is the token rather than the card

not perfect probably but a hell of a lot better than loving sms

what no they don't, not all anyway. HSBC and santander use fingerprint id on mobile now, with the HSBC app generating one time logon/signing codes for Web access as well.

and HSBC were way behind on their mobile app compared to others until recently so I'd assume the rest are better.

edit: before that HSBC used a custom key generator pad thing... santander idk, natwest used the card reader thing but I think have stopped.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 12, 2019

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
yeah the only british banks i'm aware of that use a cardreader for 2fa are (were?) nationwide and lloyds business, and the latter forces you to set a memorable phrase which can be used to bypass it

i wouldn't even mind sms for 2fa. marcus do it when logging in from a new location. other banks (lloyds group retail, tsb, santander) just have a second password they ask for specific characters from. it's hardly ideal

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaggar posted:

I like azure mfa w/ the Microsoft authenticator. its cool because they have plugins for basically everything so you can stick MFA everywhere with little effort.

approving without opening the app or typing in a code is nice.
I wish more sites that let you use TOTP supported that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

This makes sense but it would also make it even more inconvenient to report your card stolen.

I assume you mean "google authenticator" not "android" since you can use any TOTP app for google?

In theory you don't want someone to be able to steal the token from your phone but I guess it doesn't necessarily make sense based on the actual threat model since it's much better to make it easy to use the tokens.

The recommended procedure is to just save the recovery codes and use those to get a new token for your new phone, but yeah that's massively inconvenient.

In practice people who can steal the codes from your phone are probably going to have an exploit to get root and steal them even if you don't allow backups. I guess if you were really worried an alternative compromise might be to save all the codes to somewhere safe (and encrypted) at the time they're generated but still use an app that doesn't allow you to export them.

google authenticator doesn't back up to icloud

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Rufus Ping posted:

yeah the only british banks i'm aware of that use a cardreader for 2fa are (were?) nationwide and lloyds business, and the latter forces you to set a memorable phrase which can be used to bypass it

i wouldn't even mind sms for 2fa. marcus do it when logging in from a new location. other banks (lloyds group retail, tsb, santander) just have a second password they ask for specific characters from. it's hardly ideal

oh yeah nationwide were the ones with the card reader, not natwest

and yes santander web access sucks: enter your security number (6 digits) and then like letters 2,4 and 7 from your login password or something,which is a pain in the rear end when you set that password to a 12 character random string.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mystes posted:

Yubikeys do a ton of stuff that u2f tokens don't need to do. U2f tokens are dead simple and don't need any writable storage at all, so they are already cheaper and probably would be dirt cheap if there was actual demand for them.

(FIDO2 tokens, which support passwordless login, do need some actual storage to remember usernames though.)

yeah I bought a couple yubikeys on sale and they basically sit unused because like 3 sites I use actually support them vs the dozen or so that support totp 2fac, so as a result I basically haven't bothered maintaining them since it's easier to just have totp everywhere and have the habit of checking the totp app

and since apple blocks nfc I can't do it via my phone either, another win for totp

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also I lost one of the three tokens I'd bought and I guess that means on each of the sites where I'd added them, I'd need to remove all three and then re-pair the two I still have, since it's not like they have names or anything

u2f is expensive, cumbersome, and mostly useless outside of a corporate environment. so perfection in the eyes of any security pedant, joining the ranks of e.g. RADIUS and DNSSEC

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

to be clear I think u2f is perfect for when you get your work issued laptop with a yubikey included to be used with your corp SSO login, but expecting someone to buy, carry around, and janitor several tokens just for the three sites that actually support them (assuming you never want to log in on an iphone/ipad) is a bit ridiculous

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
u2f tokens are like $10 and you can use the same one for an unlimited number of sites

it sux that IOS doesn’t support ‘em but you’re being a toddler about it

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
i do think it's interesting that there does seem to be some form of support and more for u2f stuff for ios 13. safari currently only supports usb only at the moment, and apple has licensed the lightning port for a yubikey product.

https://support.yubico.com/support/solutions/articles/15000006479-getting-started-on-ios

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
All places that recognize Yubikeys also let you name them, so you can remove the one you lost. If you mean the yubikeys themselves, you can always use label printer or write some notes into the the smartcard area...

Also yeah, it sucks that you use Apple's lovely products and they won't let you use proper security, but I guess that's the apple tax I keep hearing about. :v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xarn posted:

All places that recognize Yubikeys also let you name them
Are you talking about U2F keys or specifically about old sites using the HOTP-style yubikey authentication method where it acts like a keyboard?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Man claims to be technician, steals ATM from San Jose museum

Nobody noticed until a month later when someone found the ATM dumped on the side of a highway. Amazing what you can get away with by dressing the part.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

klosterdev posted:

Man claims to be technician, steals ATM from San Jose museum

Nobody noticed until a month later when someone found the ATM dumped on the side of a highway. Amazing what you can get away with by dressing the part.

that's how kevin mitnick did most of his work. he would just pretend to be an employee or a mover and just walk into places and steal computers.

honestly you can get away with a lot that way even today.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

and since apple blocks nfc I can't do it via my phone either, another win for totp

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/corenfc?language=objc

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

those docs are great. core nfc is supported in iOS 11+, but they tell you to check readingAvailable before doing anything, which is only in the forthcoming iOS 13. the NDEF sample app also requires 13+.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

mystes posted:

Are you talking about U2F keys or specifically about old sites using the HOTP-style yubikey authentication method where it acts like a keyboard?

U2F, I disabled the keyboard emulation after my first hour using yubikey. :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that's how kevin mitnick did most of his work. he would just pretend to be an employee or a mover and just walk into places and steal computers.

honestly you can get away with a lot that way even today.

yeah it owns

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
in fact just being confident and having any sort of badge (even a blank card) hanging off your pants and most people wont question what you're doing.

i've gotten pretty far in places that way before being asked to leave

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remember kids, scope is everything on a pentest

quote:

Two security contractors were arrested in Adel, Iowa on September 11 as they attempted to gain access to the Dallas County Courthouse. The two are employees of Coalfire—a "cybersecurity advisor" firm based in Westminster, Colorado that frequently does security assessments for federal agencies, state and local governments, and corporate clients. They claimed to be conducting a penetration test to determine how vulnerable county court records were and to measure law enforcement's response to a break-in.

Unfortunately, the Iowa state court officials who ordered the test never told county officials about it—and no one evidently anticipated that a physical break-in would be part of the test. For now, the penetration testers remain in jail.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/check-the-scope-pen-testers-nabbed-jailed-in-iowa-courthouse-break-in-attempt/

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

the article doesn't mention the contract at all. My experience has been that pentesters (especially in the last 5-ish years) are not one to invent scope. I would be shocked if physical access was not spelled out in the contract the SCA signed, agreed to and failed to read. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

someone is going to get sued

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey, the good news is that they passed the test!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also the pentesters probably know how to break out now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

in fact just being confident and having any sort of badge (even a blank card) hanging off your pants and most people wont question what you're doing.

i've gotten pretty far in places that way before being asked to leave

ya lol. ive done it by just waving at the guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiEMcjSQOzg&t=22s

i mean idk how much is staged in these videos but its definitely a real thing

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Winkle-Daddy posted:

the article doesn't mention the contract at all. My experience has been that pentesters (especially in the last 5-ish years) are not one to invent scope. I would be shocked if physical access was not spelled out in the contract the SCA signed, agreed to and failed to read. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Maybe, but this ain't tinkersec's first rodeo so I'm sure they know what to put in the contract.

lol tinkersex

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Krankenstyle posted:

ya lol. ive done it by just waving at the guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiEMcjSQOzg&t=22s

i mean idk how much is staged in these videos but its definitely a real thing

clipboards work too

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
i... think we agree? also, I didn't realize this was tinkersec, he's usually incredibly careful.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/HackerMovieBot/status/1172567829893111809

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:5:

whatever the smiley is

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
how do you guys deal with legit services that have browser extensions that demand full read and write data?

just dehumanize yourself and etc.?

the "this is mega convenient" + "this is a serious business" - "they will eventually get hacked" balance is hard to reconcile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

how do you guys deal with legit services that have browser extensions that demand full read and write data?

just dehumanize yourself and etc.?

the "this is mega convenient" + "this is a serious business" - "they will eventually get hacked" balance is hard to reconcile.

full read and write on all sites? disable and trash