Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Big thanks to everyone who talked up Glow, I'm watching S1 and it's brilliant. Acting, writing, sincerity, characters who resemble real people, legit funny, and keeps surprising me episode to episode. I hope it stays this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
My mom only has a few days left of her HBO free trial so it looks like I'll be watching Generation Kill next.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

wormil posted:

Big thanks to everyone who talked up Glow, I'm watching S1 and it's brilliant. Acting, writing, sincerity, characters who resemble real people, legit funny, and keeps surprising me episode to episode. I hope it stays this good.
It does!

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Only just caught up with the second season of Big Little Lies. Strong stuff. Meryl Streep is goddamn amazing. The writing and acting does not slow down, though I do feel there was less to work with - the 'dream/thought' sequences felt more heavy handed, relying perhaps a bit too much on red herrings to get through the story arc. Still, if I had to characterize it: "This whole fuckin' world's lost its mind. This whole fuckin' planet is inhabited by nut fucks!"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Binged The Boys in about 5 days, which is pretty fast for me these days. Really enjoyed it, looking forward to season 2! The only thing that irked me was if the parents knew everybody would know...

Also finally finished From the Earth to the Moon and :tviv: I had no idea how influential this miniseries was to the next twenty years of film and television...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also finally finished From the Earth to the Moon and :tviv: I had no idea how influential this miniseries was to the next twenty years of film and television...

Why and how was it influential? I've never heard of it, or have forgotten it if I did, but I didn't watch much television back then.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It set the precedent for all prestige TV to star white dudes and only white dudes. The best combo is watching the miniseries and then Hidden Figures back to back.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

wormil posted:

Why and how was it influential? I've never heard of it, or have forgotten it if I did, but I didn't watch much television back then.

They just released the HD remaster online after more than 20 years, before that you either watched it live, bought the VHS, or somehow found the 2005 DVD.

In addition to informing Hank's later works, like Band of Brothers, each episode was done as a vignette it its own style and is obviously an inspiration for later works, especially HBO series.

Beyond the obvious stuff that is heavily influenced by the same subject matter (First Man and The Martian spring easily to mind), later HBO shows like The Newsroom draw liberally from this well. The episode 1968 feels oddly current, minus it's relentless 90's optimism.

I'll have to collect my thoughts some more, because I watched most of it last month, but each episode felt extremely familiar despite seeing them for the first time...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

wormil posted:

Same. It's surprisingly engaging!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They just released the HD remaster online after more than 20 years, before that you either watched it live, bought the VHS, or somehow found the 2005 DVD.

In addition to informing Hank's later works, like Band of Brothers, each episode was done as a vignette it its own style and is obviously an inspiration for later works, especially HBO series.

Beyond the obvious stuff that is heavily influenced by the same subject matter (First Man and The Martian spring easily to mind), later HBO shows like The Newsroom draw liberally from this well. The episode 1968 feels oddly current, minus it's relentless 90's optimism.

I'll have to collect my thoughts some more, because I watched most of it last month, but each episode felt extremely familiar despite seeing them for the first time...

So I'm watching this now, and I think I kinda see what you mean. It definitely has a very strong style for 1998 which you see more in series starting later.

One thing that's striking me is how much of the cast is shared with The West Wing. But Sorkin wasn't involved, and Ron Howard and Tom Hanks were.

Man Tom Hanks is so young.

4 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it, and the realism. However the TV crew episode dragged badly, and I'm not sure what the rule is on black and white vs color? Like Earth is B&W but the mission crew are color, but sometimes Earth is color... IDK.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Finished S2 of The Rain. S1 was just okay and I was surprised when it was renewed. S2E1 was dull and I almost quit the series, since S1 was borderline anyway, but it picks up and goes to crazy town, definitely more exciting than S1 but less grounded with an almost Resident Evil vibe.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

The Dark Crystal is pretty amazing. I had my reservations during the first episode, and I felt a little too much resolution was crammed into the last one, but to make a show entirely with puppets and create proper drama, intrigue, action, tongue in cheek humor... The design is phenomenal, and also supports writing that does not shy away from horror and despair. I was afraid this would just be some reverse engineering of the movie, but it goes above and beyond that. To top it off, the voice acting is just top notch. There's just so much to enjoy about this series, its setting, its characters, its narrative, very much worth the watch.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Just finished The Spy and it's pretty drat good. Sacha Baron Cohen put out a great performance. You'd think that there'd be moments where you'd bust out laughing at a serious scene because it reminds you of Borat, but that never really happened to me.

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Banshee and Justified are two of my all-time favorite shows, and I'm convinced any fan of one would enjoy the other.

Yeah, Banshee reminded me a good amount of Justified simply because both are so drat fun to watch. Justified is an all-time great show IMO. It's SO fun and contains some of the best dialogue and characters on TV (once you get past season 1).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Season 2 may be a completely perfect season of television. It really did elevate the entire rest of the show's run.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
The next one will be coming faster.....

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Having a hard time getting through season 3 of The Handmaid's Tale. The plot often just treads water; the long, lingering shots are boring and crammed with hamfisted symbolism; the choice of music is simply bad and Moss' twitching face and dull, half whispered monologues have become grating to me. There's so few interesting or meaningful moments and characters; Aunt Lydia, Commander Laurence, the refugees in Canada...

I somehow made it to episode 4 and find myself rolling my eyes at the lot of it. The story just doesn't make sense to me anymore and I'm hoping something will come along to explain the inconsistencies in how the characters relate to one another, but I fear I am hoping in vain.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 12, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It picks up plot-wise towards the end of the season but the hamfisted symbolism and june stares aren't going anywhere

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I'm loving 40 and I'm still going "fuckyeah" in my head reading this.
Ah hell, time for another rewatch.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

... And that's why they call it, "organized crime!"

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude

Acht posted:

I'm loving 40 and I'm still going "fuckyeah" in my head reading this.
Ah hell, time for another rewatch.

I think it might be the single most badass line in television history. It's probably time I rewatch too.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I started Barry the other day and am now halfway through the second season. It’s been a while singe I’ve binged anything like this. I had been looking for a good comedy for a while and was enjoying Baskets, but something about Barry has really sucked me in.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

cryptoclastic posted:

I started Barry the other day and am now halfway through the second season. It’s been a while singe I’ve binged anything like this. I had been looking for a good comedy for a while and was enjoying Baskets, but something about Barry has really sucked me in.

Let us know when you've seen episode 5 of season 2. Would love to hear your first impression of it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah S2E5 is something else

Also after you're done with Barry watch Wayne on YouTube premium if you have access to that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Meatgrinder posted:

Having a hard time getting through season 3 of The Handmaid's Tale. The plot often just threads water; the long, lingering shots are boring and crammed with hamfisted symbolism; the choice of music is simply bad and Moss' twitching face and dull, half whispered monologues have become grating to me. There's so few interesting or meaningful moments and characters; Aunt Lydia, Commander Laurence, the refugees in Canada...

I somehow made it to episode 4 and find myself rolling my eyes at the lot of it. The story just doesn't make sense to me anymore and I'm hoping something will come along to explain the inconsistencies in how the characters relate to one another, but I fear I am hoping in vain.

crap this sounds like Season 2, I am not looking forward to this instead of June and the other Handmaid's escaping and then returning to Gilead in Apache Helicopters wielding dual AK's like I was hoping.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

crap this sounds like Season 2, I am not looking forward to this instead of June and the other Handmaid's escaping and then returning to Gilead in Apache Helicopters wielding dual AK's like I was hoping.

I actually liked the writing and acting in season 2, it was pretty good. There was a balance to action and introspection and the plot felt like it was driving the characters in some meaningful direction.

Season 3 has me shouting "Oh gently caress off" at the screen a lot. Well, had. I've given up on it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Finished up The Consultant a four-episode BBC miniseries from 1983. Hywel Bennett was drat good, playing sleazeball computer programming expert Chris Webb. Fun story, doesn't end like you'd expect, but it probably what was deserved. Also very fun for the state of computer technology.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Meatgrinder posted:

Let us know when you've seen episode 5 of season 2. Would love to hear your first impression of it.

It was quite a ride. I don’t know how I felt about the daughter angle. I felt really bad for Barry because he might have to kill a kid, but then they got really weird with it. Was still fun. The fight at the end was something else.

I already watched Wayne. Liking Barry much more, however.

Edit: finished everything. Very good show. Can’t wait for season 3.

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 13, 2019

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Meatgrinder posted:

pahuyuth posted:

Yeah S2E5 is something else
Recently binged Barry and it was fantastic all the way through. I'm somewhat conflicted on S2E5 because while it's absolutely amazing, it also seems too out there. It's a definite break from the rest of the series.

I feel like they should go one of two ways with it; 1) Never mention the girl again; 2) Given the dream-like quality of the episode, it turns out that Barry actually murdered the girl during the hit and the episode is how he rationalizes it (she was a ninja!!!). That would go a ways to making Barry irredeemable which is something they've been hitting on.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I enjoyed The Boys a hell of a lot more than I expected. I was originally going to pass on it as I'd read some of the comics and while I liked the premise and some of the story beats, it was all, like most of Ennis' stuff, a bit too excesive for my tastes. The trailers didn't really do anything to convince me otherwise as the one I saw felt like it was really leaning into this aspect of the comic. But had solid word of mouth convinced me to give it a go anyway and ended up liking it a lot. Some of it still a bit all-in on the shock value for my tastes, but some solid performances and some smart changes to the source material (some I didn't like initially, but understand why and that they're probably for the best) and am looking forward to S2.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Slamhound posted:

2) Given the dream-like quality of the episode, it turns out that Barry actually murdered the girl during the hit and the episode is how he rationalizes it (she was a ninja!!!). That would go a ways to making Barry irredeemable which is something they've been hitting on.

(general Barry spoilers, specifically relevant to s2e5 chat)

I don't think that would work, though. Barry, as a show, kind of relies on Barry constantly being exactly on the line between unsympathetic and sympathetic to work, and pushing him to one side or the other fully would kind of gently caress everything up. He's a deliberately liminal character and the idea that he should be revealed as an absolute monster, or redeemed as a hero, misses the point pretty hard.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Decided to give Better Than Us another try and it improves a lot with episode two and each episode after. The characters find themselves, the story becomes more eventful and engaging.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I like the first few of episodes okay, but it got too dull for me when they started working with the bad guy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm not that far along yet, but pretty much everyone is a dirtbag: lying sneaky cop, dirt bag CEO, dirty coroner, scummy anarchists, murdering robot, edit forgot the creeper mom and crooked attorney. At this point I like the robot most of all but that's probably because she's smoking hot.

Edit, I can see why he would side with the "bad guy" since everyone else is against him and his only other choice is prison.

Edit 2, it was all moot

wormil fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 16, 2019

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Meatgrinder posted:

Having a hard time getting through season 3 of The Handmaid's Tale. The plot often just treads water; the long, lingering shots are boring and crammed with hamfisted symbolism; the choice of music is simply bad and Moss' twitching face and dull, half whispered monologues have become grating to me. There's so few interesting or meaningful moments and characters; Aunt Lydia, Commander Laurence, the refugees in Canada...

Yeah. It's like the show's genre keeps shifting. From [Thriller] to [Horror] to [Action/Adventure].

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
well I guess after I finish 12 Monkeys and HMT I can dump Hulu.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
Anyone watched Undone on Prime? The animation is really cool (rotoscoping, like A Scanner Darkly), but the story and the acting is amazing.

NickBlasta fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 15, 2019

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

NickBlasta posted:

Anyone watched Undone on Prime? The animation is really cool (rotoscoping, like A Scanner Darkly), but the story and the acting is amazing.

Just watched this all the way through and really enjoyed it. I hope it gets a season 2.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Watched all of Carnival Row in one sitting yesterday. Amazon has terrible advertising/cover art - I thought from the thumbnails I saw that it was some kind of Victorian "Jack The Ripper" take and had little interest.

It's actually a political intrigue type thing set in basically the Bright universe (or Shadowrun, or whatever your fancy), in faux 1800s. It's all about racism against human-esque races like faeries and satyrs. Add a detective plotline and romance plotline, and also twenty or so other side plotlines for some reason, and you have the show.

Worth a watch, I think, even if muddled by too much poo poo happening at once. I guess this is their take on Game of Thrones? A lot of stuff I hoped would pay off seemed purely to set up characters for importance in future seasons rather than any real ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I finished all 4 seasons of Last Chance U. The first season had my full attention and was pretty interesting. After that it's more of the same with some different people. Also the coach in s3 & 4 is a loud-mouth jackass who I couldn't stand so I watched those on my second monitor while I did other things. It's a reality type doc of junior college football players hoping to work their way into a "better" school (or get back to in some cases). The teaching staff at both featured schools were pretty impressive and inspirational.

I've been watching On Becoming a God in Central Florida too. Not sure where the show is going but I like Kirsten Dunst so I'll keep watching for now.