Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tom Gorman posted:

Even though Charlie can't read the cards he still intuitively determines what the cards do based on the illustrations. He goes on to make a fortune on the pro MTG circuit, only to blow all the winnings on an ebay auction for "Real Dragon Meat".
I would legit watch that episode and it'd probably be great. Charlie being a Magic savant because his entire world runs on fantasy dream logic just makes sense. Like, he already thinks that if you owned an elf and it got attacked by a dragon, the only logical response is to bake the dragon into a pie, and he's just finally found somewhere that agrees with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Does someone have a decklist for the Yarok sultai deck that's been mentioned upthread a few times? I have a few Yaroks and was wondering how close I'd be.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

qbert posted:

That is so much worse than Reckless Rage. It costs 2, is only Sorcery speed, and none of the creatures in Feather are Knights so it will usually not deal 4 to the opposing creature. You'd also have to make sure your own creature survives the fight.

Exactly, I don't know why anyone would think Joust is a viable replacement for Reckless Rage in Feather.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

Mulatto is a slur now? How about quadroon?

Quadroon and Octoroon are both slurs, yes (u nimrod)

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Does someone have a decklist for the Yarok sultai deck that's been mentioned upthread a few times? I have a few Yaroks and was wondering how close I'd be.

4 Arbor Grazer
- Leafkin Druid
- Risen Reef
- Dread Presence
2 Neoform
- Legion’s End
- Cloudkin Seer
- Cavalier of Night
- Yarok, Dread Presence
3 Hydroid Krasis
- Find/Finale
- Nissa, WStE
1 Cavalier of Thorns
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Breeding Pool
4 Watery Grave
3 Temple of Mystery
2 Forest
7 Swamp

This is the Bo1 build I’m running in the standard 2020 event and I facerolled Silver. Let’s see how this deck handles gold.

I’m gonna try out a Prime Speaker Vannifar as a one of tonight also

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Bust Rodd posted:

Quadroon and Octoroon are both slurs, yes (u nimrod)

4 Arbor Grazer
- Leafkin Druid
- Risen Reef
- Dread Presence
2 Neoform
- Legion’s End
- Cloudkin Seer
- Cavalier of Night
- Yarok, Dread Presence
3 Hydroid Krasis
- Find/Finale
- Nissa, WStE
1 Cavalier of Thorns
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Breeding Pool
4 Watery Grave
3 Temple of Mystery
2 Forest
7 Swamp

This is the Bo1 build I’m running in the standard 2020 event and I facerolled Silver. Let’s see how this deck handles gold.

I’m gonna try out a Prime Speaker Vannifar as a one of tonight also

Funnily enough nimrod being an insult is entirely due to children misinterpreting Bugs Bunny.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008

Also need to add that in feather you can target a 2/2 legionnaire with reckless rage and it will get the counter before the 2 damage goes off at instant speed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm such a mighty hunter before the Lord.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

zoux posted:

Buy packs. I wonder what the average number of R/MR WCs you pull/earn from opening a 45 pack bundle

Without counting vault progress your per per pack rate including tracks plus "random" drops is:

0.333333333 Common
0.366666667 Uncommon
0.175 Rare
0.075 Mythic

So 45 packs is 3.375 mythic rare wildcards.

If you also have a complete set of commons and uncommons you're also looking at 1/90th of a vault per pack* so add an extra 1/2 a mythic wildcard.

*It's actually slightly less since any common/uncommon wildcards will not count towards vault progress.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So you only need to buy 100ish packs to get a full set of one mythic rare card in historic, I don't see what everyone's so mad about.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I've got a lot of Wild cards built up from the last time I played. Should I hold out for the rotation to figure out a deck to try and craft or would it be better to grab something kind of meta-y now?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've got a lot of Wild cards built up from the last time I played. Should I hold out for the rotation to figure out a deck to try and craft or would it be better to grab something kind of meta-y now?

Definitely wait unless you feel a massive need to grind for levels that will give you far fewer rewards than the wildcards you'd be spending in the next two weeks.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

we're just a couple of weeks away,
the question is whether to build a deck that's popular early, or wait even longer to see how the meta settles

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Draft early and do constructed a bit later imo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

the cards will cost the same before or after sep 26 so you might as well wait.

also you'll get all the new player theme decks for this past season on the same day.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

you'll be able to use your wildcards at 1:1 through november for historic cards iirc so if you really want to craft anything that's rotating it can still wait for post-rotation (and after you've put together whatever you want for standard)

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Cavalcade is cheap to craft and good enough for grinding Bo1 while you wait for rotation. If you're winning enough with whatever you're currently playing and having fun just keep doing that though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Mulatto is a slur now? How about quadroon?

In Virginia those are just pre-marriage titles: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/10/us/virginia-marriage-license-race-question/index.html

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Lagomorphic posted:

Without counting vault progress your per per pack rate including tracks plus "random" drops is:

0.333333333 Common
0.366666667 Uncommon
0.175 Rare
0.075 Mythic

So 45 packs is 3.375 mythic rare wildcards.

If you also have a complete set of commons and uncommons you're also looking at 1/90th of a vault per pack* so add an extra 1/2 a mythic wildcard.

*It's actually slightly less since any common/uncommon wildcards will not count towards vault progress.
For those ITT wondering why people are complaining about historic, this means once they add Wurmcoil Engine, opening 90 packs won't even get you a playset. Then next quarter they add another powerful mythic to the format...

They don't want you to play historic unless you're spending a LOT of money. It's just a distraction from the fact that your cards rotate and become worthless.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

They have said you'll be able to get the old cards they add by playing events which is nice for people already playing. It's gonna be hell to get into for new players coming in though since they will have missed these events or just won't have cards to be competitive in them if they started recently.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lagomorphic posted:

They have said you'll be able to get the old cards they add by playing events which is nice for people already playing. It's gonna be hell to get into for new players coming in though since they will have missed these events or just won't have cards to be competitive in them if they started recently.
That's actually the idea. They want established players going into historic but no new players going into it first.

They don't want someone going "What deck should I start with?" and having a mostly commons and uncommons red historic deck being recommended to them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The goal is to have everybody just play standard, but also spend lots of resources crafting cards that are going to rotate out of standard just in case they want to play historic with them later on.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I can't even imagine a current deck of mine that I'd want to bring into Historic, as opposed to just junking it or converting it to Standard

Maybe Mono-U to relive those turn two Curious Obsession glory days?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Jabor posted:

The goal is to have everybody just play standard, but also spend lots of resources crafting cards that are going to rotate out of standard just in case they want to play historic with them later on.

Yeah I get that they want to funnel new players into standard. The issue is in a few years those new players won't be new but the cost of entry of historic will have just gotten too high to reasonably start so it's just a handful of old farts who've been playing since Guilds in the format.

Like my costs for playing historic are a few extra wildcards to make sure I finish my checklands before November and maybe a playset of Teferi's since I never got around to building an Esper deck. Anyone who started with Eldraine is gonna have 80 rare wildcards to spend just to get the checks let alone all the event cards.

On the other hand people do play $1000 modern decks though so Wizards is not necessarily wrong here.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 13, 2019

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Historic loving sucks playing with the same poo poo forever sounds like hell they need to just limit it to dumb bullshit formats.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lagomorphic posted:

On the other hand people do play $1000 modern decks though so Wizards is not necessarily wrong here.
Let's look at Jund, apparently the #2 deck in modern by mtggoldfish's mysterious metrics

$1830 USD

Nice! Also the most expensive card was printed this year in a $7 a pack set.

Halo product wooooo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Spiderdrake posted:

Let's look at Jund, apparently the #2 deck in modern by mtggoldfish's mysterious metrics

$1830 USD

Nice! Also the most expensive card was printed this year in a $7 a pack set.

Halo product wooooo

still not as bad as paying $700 to play burn in the same format

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've never played Boros Feather with reckless rage so, uh, yay?

I mean, I can see why people loved it but I didn't want to spend wildcards on something rotating out.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah I think the fact that they're holding events that give away playsets of all the new-to-historic cards has gone seriously overlooked, whether intentionally or not. if you're an established player already there's nothing specifically targeted at loving you over

of course it's going to be annoying for new players that want to get into historic instead of standard, but the doubled wildcards are meant specifically as a deterrent for exactly those players so I can't say it's not working

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Y'all being way too credulous of WotC. Events to give us the new cards - yeah just like the events to make up for XP that people spent pages ITT complaining about. And why the hell would you develop a new format to intentionally exclude players? Ah yes a growing and active playerbase - a common problem that games are trying to solve.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you're mistaking not buying into end-of-the-world reddit conspiracy theories for being naïve

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kater posted:

Historic loving sucks playing with the same poo poo forever sounds like hell they need to just limit it to dumb bullshit formats.

Eternal formats are the fun ones cause you staple cards together from different sets over the years to create cool interactions

Like Neoforming an Allosaurus Rider into grizzlebees

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

flatluigi posted:

you're mistaking not buying into end-of-the-world reddit conspiracy theories for being naïve

Thinking a f2p game is treating the player base badly to squeeze extra money out of them isn't really a conspiracy, it's just the way the world works. If people are as pissed as they say they are, they should probably quit the game, because even if Wizards climbs down a step on this issue, there's plenty of reason to think there's always going to be a next thing to get pissed about. I mean some of the people saying Wizards was anchoring to get people to accept a slightly less bad version of this down the road were saying it as a defense of this, but so far we have no indication that it's going to change, so the thing Wizards defenders thought was too bad to actually be real might stick.

I'm not personally going to ragequit or organize a boycott or anything, but I will be more reluctant to invest a significant amount of money than I otherwise would be because I don't trust them enough to be sure I'm in it for the long haul.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 13, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
like realistically someone at wizards went 'we need to find some way to disincentivize players eventually sitting on their established historic collection and only playing historic and not caring about the 99% of new cards that won't fit into the decks they've already built' after a long history of seeing established paper players behave the same way

I really don't think it's not a problem they'd eventually want to fix, even if it'd realistically not be a problem until next year's rotation at least, imo. making the decision early probably has some benefits, though? like, I could see them thinking it'd lead to less uproar then having a year with 'regular' wildcard prices and changing it that long into historic's lifespan

honestly my money was on them going with historic-only wildcards and combined every-historic-set packs or something like that so being able to use regular wildcards was already more than I expected

edit:

Sinteres posted:

Thinking a f2p game is treating the player base badly to squeeze extra money out of them isn't really a conspiracy, it's just the way the world works. If people are as pissed as they say they are, they should probably quit the game, because even if Wizards climbs down a step on this issue, there's plenty of reason to think there's always going to be a next thing to get pissed about. I mean some of the people saying Wizards was anchoring to get people to accept a slightly less bad version of this down the road were saying it as a defense of this, but so far we have no indication that it's going to change, so the thing Wizards defenders thought was too bad to actually be real might stick.

you're really softening the sort of rhetoric people are having about the wildcard issue, which has included 'they timed eldraine spoiler season as a distraction!' alongside the sort of stuff salt shakeup is saying

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They said you'd get the new cards for the price of the entry fee to the historic event, so I bet they'll cost a decent amount of gems.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

flatluigi posted:

you're really softening the sort of rhetoric people are having about the wildcard issue, which has included 'they timed eldraine spoiler season as a distraction!' alongside the sort of stuff salt shakeup is saying

I don't read every thread, but yeah that sounds dumb. I think the people saying 'hey this is still a problem even if Eldraine looks cool' have a point, but of course trying to say Wizards is spoiling an upcoming set to distract them is idiotic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Sure, they're doing what they can to make the cards you bought extra super duper worthless but can you believe the tone of reddit? that's the real crime here.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

No Wave posted:

Sure, they're doing what they can to make the cards you bought extra super duper worthless but can you believe the tone of reddit? that's the real crime here.

lol this

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I seriously doubt they will (at least without a major reason like an unpopular standard that sees people leaving the game making them realize supporting other formats would be a good idea as a backup), but I wonder how much announcing they'll eventually add historic brawl would be seen as a valid olive branch. They'd lose out on some people buying full sets of cards I guess, but getting more people to buy one each of more cards could still work out pretty well for them.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 13, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
glad to see you still have that weird vendetta against me, No Wave

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They said you'd get the new cards for the price of the entry fee to the historic event, so I bet they'll cost a decent amount of gems.

I doubt it'll be gem-only unless they want even more uproar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You should really stop and consider what Historic Brawl would look like before pining for it.

Also no one should buying "sets" of anything for Historic of either potential permutation. The number of playable cards lowers immensely very quickly. Modern is incredibly deep to support such a depth of archetypes and most of them require older cards to exist. The rate of playables even when modern first launched was a narrow sliver of the format.

flatluigi posted:

glad to see you still have that weird vendetta against me, No Wave
what's with the blood feuds in this thread