Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I didn't dig issue 1, but beside the gross turban-clad terrorist killing action, 2 was enjoyably bananas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I am REALLY enjoying Bendis and Derrington's Batman Universe. It's a fun Raiders Of The Lost Ark-paced Batman story where the character's always a bit out of his element, set in a DC Animated/Modern DCU pleasant meta-continuity.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Tom King has really run the Bat/Cat thing into the ground, especially "it was a boat" "no, it was a street" thing. I'd probably enjoy it more if every issue with them didn't feel like they had the same dialogue. Like you could take those issues and switch them around and it wouldn't effect the story that much.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gaunab posted:

Tom King has really run the Bat/Cat thing into the ground, especially "it was a boat" "no, it was a street" thing. I'd probably enjoy it more if every issue with them didn't feel like they had the same dialogue. Like you could take those issues and switch them around and it wouldn't effect the story that much.

Agreed. There's nothing to their relationship but the beats of those impactful initial issues played over and over again. Plus, King's ultra-decompressed dialogue is starting to come off as a guy padding pages to meet the weekly quota. This issue was a total dud, and while I get that "Batman and Catwoman are back together!" is ostensibly a big story beat in the plot he's writing, the actual substance of the plot here could have been put across in a single page.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
People probably aren't too interested in WW right now 'cuz the book hasn't been explosively epic, but I actually think the last couple of issues have gotten really interesting (don't they always, right before a writer gets ready to leave? :sweatdrop:). Cheetah manages to kill Aphrodite after a Luthor-given power-up and this makes everyone lose the ability to love which is its own issue of course, but it also affects Diana to the point where she can't actually effectively battle anymore because, well, love is the source of her power and motivation! I got a great big kick out of Veronica Cale going "And I thought Superman's Achilles Heel was stupid."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

People probably aren't too interested in WW right now 'cuz the book hasn't been explosively epic, but I actually think the last couple of issues have gotten really interesting (don't they always, right before a writer gets ready to leave? :sweatdrop:). Cheetah manages to kill Aphrodite after a Luthor-given power-up and this makes everyone lose the ability to love which is its own issue of course, but it also affects Diana to the point where she can't actually effectively battle anymore because, well, love is the source of her power and motivation! I got a great big kick out of Veronica Cale going "And I thought Superman's Achilles Heel was stupid."

I like that no love means people stop going to work because without doing it for the people they love, no one gives a poo poo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Breaking Glass is the best thing DC has put out all year

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yannick_B posted:

I am REALLY enjoying Bendis and Derrington's Batman Universe. It's a fun Raiders Of The Lost Ark-paced Batman story where the character's always a bit out of his element, set in a DC Animated/Modern DCU pleasant meta-continuity.

I plan on getting the trade next month. Thanks for the reminder. It looks really good.

And I still live for King’s Batman/Catwoman. Especially with Clay Mann on art.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gaunab posted:

it was a boat" "no, it was a street"

They are from different universes and actually barely know each other because a Comic Books happened.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 13, 2019

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Here we go again.

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1172510587835863042

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Golden Child looks sick and appears to be coughing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sweet I loving love Eddie Murphy

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

glad they got someone who seems more Miller-esque to do the art

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

chaosapiant posted:

The Golden Child looks sick and appears to be coughing.

A lot of dust gets kicked up during a big fight and joker stole all of the dust masks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I WANT THE BATARAAAAAANG

PLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSE.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I sounded that out in my head just perfectly, thank you!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm so there for Rafael Grampá.

edit: Another Black Label announcement: Wonder Woman: Dead Earth by Daniel Warren Johnson
WW post-apocalypse.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/diana-takes-on-the-post-apocalypse-in-our-exclusive-fir-1838098073?IR=T

ee: Oh, also December Solicitations
https://www.newsarama.com/46928-dc-comics-december-2019-solicitations.html

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 13, 2019

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm so there for Rafael Grampá.

edit: Another Black Label announcement: Wonder Woman: Dead Earth by Daniel Warren Johnson
WW post-apocalypse.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/diana-takes-on-the-post-apocalypse-in-our-exclusive-fir-1838098073?IR=T

ee: Oh, also December Solicitations
https://www.newsarama.com/46928-dc-comics-december-2019-solicitations.html

I love Daniel Warren Johnson so I guess I'm buying Wonder Woman comics now!

Rafael Grampá is my new favourite comic artist name.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is something I'm interested in

https://twitter.com/Jody_Houser/status/1172633158887432193?s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I kind of hope they'd make Kara like Super Hero Girls where she's a good-natured rocker thug.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

quote:

Accepting his destiny as the Gray Son, Ric Grayson joins his great-grandfather as the newest Talon! He’s cleaning up Blu?dhaven and restoring order to a city that has been in complete and utter disarray for the past year. But at what cost? When he faces off against a new enemy whose metal tests his mettle, everyone’s values will be tested.

what the gently caress have they done to dick

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

quote:

Accepting his destiny as the Gray Son, Ric Grayson joins his great-grandfather as the newest Talon! He’s cleaning up Blu?dhaven and restoring order to a city that has been in complete and utter disarray for the past year. But at what cost? When he faces off against a new enemy whose metal tests his mettle, everyone’s values will be tested.

Whoever wrote the bold part should have been executed where they stood.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Are they still trying to do the Ric Grayson thing? gently caress, man...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It rules DC broke the 3 good Robins for todd and the tskmaster

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

X-O posted:

Whoever wrote the bold part should have been executed where they stood.

No the Gray Son part was the stupidest.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

No the Gray Son part was the stupidest.

In a city as crooked as Blüdhaven, things are never... black and white

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

From here on out, all Robins will now just use their last name as code names.

Gray Son
Drake
Wayne
Brown
Todd

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
How insane is the new Neal Adams Batman?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Gray Son
Drake
Wayne
Brown
Todd

You joke, but the newest Young Justice has an Earth-3 Robin that goes by the name Drake because it's a bird and the cahracter is an rear end in a top hat.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

At least the costume looks OK? Which is literally probably the only good thing about this series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

You joke, but the newest Young Justice has an Earth-3 Robin that goes by the name Drake because it's a bird and the cahracter is an rear end in a top hat.

Whoooosh.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Codependent Poster posted:

Gray Son
Drake
Wayne
Brown
Todd

This post reminded me that all of the Robins have now appeared as Bat(wo)man.

(I don’t know if Jason Todd actually has because nobody cares about Jason Todd)

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

On the last page of Event Leviathan who are the two male detectives to the left of Zatanna?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

frameset posted:

On the last page of Event Leviathan who are the two male detectives to the left of Zatanna?

Elongated Man and... I dunno, but I think maybe John Constantine? Little bit of research seems to indicate that it is, yeah

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Elongated Man and... I dunno, but I think maybe John Constantine? Little bit of research seems to indicate that it is, yeah

It was weird to think that Plas got invited to play detective with Batman and others, but it turns out Ralph was actually with the other team

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Xelkelvos posted:

It was weird to think that Plas got invited to play detective with Batman and others, but it turns out Ralph was actually with the other team

Yeah there was a Newsarama interview that confirmed for me that that's Constantine (and someone dressed as Deathstroke but not Slade Wilson, because of the poo poo going on in the Deathstroke book) where Bendis is like "Yeah people have been bugging me about Ralph for months now and I wanted to tell them 'guys, relax, we have this under control'"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think it's rad that Lois was just like "okay whatever, Batman, I'm gonna get the actual best detectives"

I really like how Bendis is writing Lois. (And Rucka, fit that matter.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

That is also gonna be what Tim goes by going forward, along with the new ugly costume.

Because nothing like using your actual last name for a code name to preserve your identity.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
When I was in college there was an incident (or a whole series of incidents, but one that is germane to this) where a bunch of my friends were disinvited from an alumni event for our housing group because they had recently left and were remembered as disruptive troublemakers.

As it turns out, the connective tissue of fifty years of this housing group was that it was the underfunded and disaffected group they stuck all of the underfunded and disaffected people on campus into, so removing the ~20 years olds out of that group did very little to keep the people aged 21-70+ from being disruptive troublemakers and the entire thing turned into a mess. There was a fair amount of vandalism, mostly related to in-jokes but there were also a couple of huge block letter tags that were just my friend's (uncommon) first name.

When questioned about it, he dismissed the accusations, pointing out that he'd have to be some sort of stupid lunatic to sneak into an event he was banned from and then write his name in giant letters on the side of the campus building, that would be insane. Obviously someone was trying to get him in trouble. The campus police ultimately decided this made sense and dropped the charges.

He did sneak into the event and write his name in giant letters, and when people questioned his wisdom he asked who would ever believe he was so stupid and brazen to just straight up sign the vandalism like that?

Anyway I think a lot of secret identities work like that, so why can't Tim Drake use the codename Drake? That would be so unsubtle that Tim Drake would never do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The Gotham thread was titled "I am Bruceman" for a while