Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Free Jack Ketch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Soricidus posted:

sadly the guillotine is a french idea, and if there's one thing the english working class hate even more than being oppressed by inbred posh aristocratic horsefaced fuckheads,

The Halifax Gibbet was in use 200 years before the Guillotine, and is pretty similar in design,as was the Scottish Maiden. And the actual Guillotine prototype was built by a German.

In other words, it should be celebrated as a symbol of Pan-european solidarity over the okay yeah that won't work either, see your point

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Halifax Gibbet was in use 200 years before the Guillotine, and is pretty similar in design,as was the Scottish Maiden. And the actual Guillotine prototype was built by a German.

In other words, it should be celebrated as a symbol of Pan-european solidarity over the okay yeah that won't work either, see your point

It's still there, but the axe is bolted to the top and is almost certainly blunted too.

Anyway, content:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:trumppop:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

TinTower posted:

Bring back the gibbet instead. :colbert:

Blood eagle.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

TinTower posted:

It's still there, but the axe is bolted to the top and is almost certainly blunted too.

Anyway, content:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Loving how the unarmed citizen still gets armed in the face. :downsrim:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

:vince:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

:golfclap:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

From here: https://alexdanco.com/2019/09/07/positional-scarcity/

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Passed by a workshop on zoöps today.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Paladinus posted:

DLC for Control looking good

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Surprisingly the article is kind of an interesting model, though it definitely feels like "ah, look at these clever ways to obtain rent despite having an abundance" unironic liberal but what if we monetized the rot.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

foobardog posted:

Surprisingly the article is kind of an interesting model, though it definitely feels like "ah, look at these clever ways to obtain rent despite having an abundance" unironic liberal but what if we monetized the rot.

Yeah I think he has a lot of good points, he's obviously clever, but that diagram is something special.

Paladinus posted:

Holy poo poo the amount of terminology.

I guess it's "non-humans" because we can't call them animals? Presumably because humans are also animals?
I guess #8 is what we'd call a breeding programme?
What the hell is a zoönomic instrument, then, is that a person or a thing?

https://www.libarynth.com/zoop
[quote]
It is the name of a variety of the legal format of the co-operation in which humans as well as certain collective bodies of non-humans can be owner-employees.
[quote]
Wait, so non-humans can be owner-employees, then surely they're not talking about animals but something else?

Edit: Oh wait they're referring to the New Zealand thing where a river or a forest can be a legal entity. Wow. Then what the hell is #8?

Where did you run into this, it's some of the weirdest stuff I've seen in a long time.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Sep 13, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah I think he has a lot of good points, he's obviously clever, but that diagram is something special.

Holy poo poo the amount of terminology.

I guess it's "non-humans" because we can't call them animals? Presumably because humans are also animals?
I guess #8 is what we'd call a breeding programme?
What the hell is a zoönomic instrument, then, is that a person or a thing?

https://www.libarynth.com/zoop

quote:

It is the name of a variety of the legal format of the co-operation in which humans as well as certain collective bodies of non-humans can be owner-employees.
Wait, so non-humans can be owner-employees, then surely they're not talking about animals but something else?

Edit: Oh wait they're referring to the New Zealand thing where a river or a forest can be a legal entity. Wow. Then what the hell is #8?

Where did you run into this, it's some of the weirdest stuff I've seen in a long time.

It was the Neuhaus exhibition in Rotterdam's Nieuwe Instituut. It was mainly about modern critique of the Bauhaus philosophy, but also had those weird workshops. One of the examples of zoöperation they had was some study on patterns of behaviour of urban pigeons with GPS trackers that helped with, uh, they didn't really explain how or what was accomplished with it, I don't think, but the idea was that there should be an organisation representing those pigeons, signing their employment contracts, overseeing how their personal information is stored and processed, etc., and then collecting money on their behalf and spending it on seeds or whatever. Maybe pigeons also start paying fines for making GBS threads on statues? But it doesn't have to be a collective of animals either, even trees or algae can participate in zoöps. It's some pretty out there stuff combining hippie worldview with distopian cyberpunk capitalism, but I think it's good that people are exploring cooky ideas like that, because ultimately it helps with adoption of more reasonable ecological policies.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Sep 14, 2019

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
So it’s a plan to replace HR with pigeons? I’m sold

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Paladinus posted:

bröther may I have some zoöps?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Stoatbringer posted:

bröther may I have some zoöps?

Being from a Dutch conference, it is more likely it's the Dutch use of the symbols. Dutch has diphthongs using two vowels and indicates long vowels by doubling them (after certain consonants), and uses ¨ to break that rule. So zoöps is pronounced to rhyme with co-ops instead of as a long o (it would not rhyme with coops in Dutch if spelled as zoops as a long o-sound is different, but it is the same idea).

That is different from Scandinavian languages or German, which uses dots to make new vowel sounds. Scandinavian languages mostly made old diphtongs into new vowels either using ¨ (i.e., oe becomes ö in Sewedish) or altogether new letters (oe becomes ø in Danish). Danish indicates short vowels by doubling consonants around them.

This is all, of course, different from metal dots, where they are just there to look cool.

klafbang has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Sep 14, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s how The New Yorker uses diæreses.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah that diphtongue should have tipped me off that this was from somewhere in the Netherlands.

I actually didn't look into what zoöp even was, I just immediately assumed it was some new weird programming or business thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It appears that zoop is basically this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNjJutK_4A&t=90s

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah that diphtongue should have tipped me off that this was from somewhere in the Netherlands.

I actually didn't look into what zoöp even was, I just immediately assumed it was some new weird programming or business thing.
Devops, more like zoops you know?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/biogeobiochem/status/1172547837046820864

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I eat zoöp with a zpoön

HerStuddMuffin has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Sep 14, 2019

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

"OK class, I'm going to need you to purposely make bad charts so I can get internet points. Your final grade depends on it."

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

kazil posted:

"OK class, I'm going to need you to purposely make bad charts so I can get internet points. Your final grade depends on it."

Well “make a bad chart with real data and explain what is bad about it” seems like a good exercise if you somehow try to make it something you’d see on the news (and it was probably extra activity)

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

ZZZorcerer posted:

Well “make a bad chart with real data and explain what is bad about it” seems like a good exercise if you somehow try to make it something you’d see on the news (and it was probably extra activity)

Sure, but all the charts were just "funny caption + comic sans + blingee + pink," not "misrepresent data" or "completely wrong chart type."

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

klafbang posted:

Sure, but all the charts were just "funny caption + comic sans + blingee + pink," not "misrepresent data" or "completely wrong chart type."

The one about the earthquakes was pretty good. "Earthquake magnitudes are continuous, but you'd never know that from this chart"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's entertaining to see and would've been fun as hell as a short project after learning about data presentation and legibility, it can still get you to think about making real charts even as a less serious activity.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

klafbang posted:

Yeah, they’re pretty low effort ‘bad’ bad charts.

(But I like the idea, give people some data and make them do presentations trying to show absurd points via bad practices)

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Oh, I don't hate the assignment, I'm just disappointed that is the best university students can do (or the teacher is an idiot). The winner, while it could use a scale, a legend and perhaps ordering the colors by the color spectrum, while ugly is pretty clear (I'm guessing it's uniform colors of good and bad guys in Star Wars).

I did enjoy representing gender as a continuous number between 1 and 2. Also, the chart with chicken weights was pretty good, but not due to the lolsorandom title as pointed out by the teacher, but due to using wrong plots (and possibly misrepresenting data - what is the bar height).

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The assignment should have been "take some data that clearly shows a conclusion, then make it show the opposite conclusion." The goal shouldn't be to inflict poison upon the eyes, but to mislead in the way that bad charts (even ones with good graphic design) often do. That would be more educational, and more interesting.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Or even just hide the conclusion; more charts are useless than actively misleading.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I had a bad computing class in high school that taught us incredibly dull things to do with visual basic. A bunch of us did the exercise of the day in two minutes and spend the rest of the time making programs that did the stupidest thing possible, and i believe we learned more about programming from making windows fly around the screen and swear at you than we actually did from the lesson

My point is that the students had fun by making computer code do silly things and that's good actually. They explored the boundaries of software, and they got to actually experience enjoying themselves in a programming context. The gags aren't necessarily sophisticated but neither were the puns my lecturers made about maths and they still served a purpose in breaking up the tedium

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

I don't see the ring, but I feel it

I almost want to have the entire idea of pie charts of any type scrubbed from Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil: