Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Historic needs Older Cards for depth.......

Like Brainstorm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Spiderdrake posted:

You should really stop and consider what Historic Brawl would look like before pining for it.

Also no one should buying "sets" of anything for Historic of either potential permutation. The number of playable cards lowers immensely very quickly. Modern is incredibly deep to support such a depth of archetypes and most of them require older cards to exist. The rate of playables even when modern first launched was a narrow sliver of the format.
Yeah, but the problem is, what happens when Theros Revisited card X combos with previously-junk Ixalan rare Y that nobody bothered to craft because it sucked? Everyone’s out 8 WCs?

Honestly it’s just so unnecessary, Hearthstone lets you craft Wild at the normal dust rate and people still focus on Standard, because there’s already plenty of New Players Stick To Standard Goddamn It signposts: those packs aren’t for sale any more and they’re drat sure not the packs you get for free, crafting a whole goddamn deck is already cost-prohibitive on its own, and all the official attention and prize support is in Standard, so that’s what the pros and streamers focus on, and the masses follow them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So I'm hearing some concerns that this f2p pricing model for the digital version of the world's most expensive card game is a bit stingy

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Got pretty frustrated today at ladder -- what's a good deck to mess with that has a good matchup against the fast elemental builds without completely falling over at scapeshift? I brought out Grixis Control for a while but all the decks were going fast enough to go under soot/cry & all my legion's ends weren't working on the risen reefs despite them always landing on turn 2

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

the cards will cost the same before or after sep 26 so you might as well wait.

also you'll get all the new player theme decks for this past season on the same day.

This is why I'm waiting to buy my last packs of RNA/GRN till after we get the npe decks because they each have a shockland.

The bigger thing I'm debating about is if I should craft the Ixalan/Dominaria lands before they become 2:1.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but the problem is, what happens when Theros Revisited card X combos with previously-junk Ixalan rare Y that nobody bothered to craft because it sucked? Everyone’s out 8 WCs?

Honestly it’s just so unnecessary, Hearthstone lets you craft Wild at the normal dust rate and people still focus on Standard, because there’s already plenty of New Players Stick To Standard Goddamn It signposts: those packs aren’t for sale any more and they’re drat sure not the packs you get for free, crafting a whole goddamn deck is already cost-prohibitive on its own, and all the official attention and prize support is in Standard, so that’s what the pros and streamers focus on, and the masses follow them.

No one plays Wild because Blizzard doesn't give a poo poo about Wild

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Got pretty frustrated today at ladder -- what's a good deck to mess with that has a good matchup against the fast elemental builds without completely falling over at scapeshift? I brought out Grixis Control for a while but all the decks were going fast enough to go under soot/cry & all my legion's ends weren't working on the risen reefs despite them always landing on turn 2

You'll laugh, but the WAR meta RDW will poo poo on both of these decks. WAR Chandra really is a beast and I've had very good winrates against both those deck types.

Of course, the WAR meta RDW has horrifically bad matchups against Mardu Vampires and Simic Flash but that's what happens when you use an old meta deck.

Cavalcade RDW works too.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

axeil posted:

The bigger thing I'm debating about is if I should craft the Ixalan/Dominaria lands before they become 2:1.
This and maybe 2 mythic Teferi are the only things I'm going to finish.

Other stuff just feels rather uncertain. Like I'm not going to want to play historic til it feels different from the six months of Standard before now, so who know what will actually be useful?

Also checklands tend to come back so then I'll have those when they're back, which will be cool.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

:shrug: i dunno, ever since arena came out, my friends who used to get together every friday to cube/edh/draft/play frontier have slowly reduced to less and less regularly, to the point where we havent played in a month and a half :smith: None of them have played any paper magic or bought cards in a while

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
So existing players wont' have access to the ToE NPE Decks?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SalTheBard posted:

So existing players wont' have access to the ToE NPE Decks?

existing players are getting them on patch day

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There are NPE decks paired with Core 2020 that established players get on the 26th

There aren't Eldraine NPE decks to my knowledge

There is a bonus of 10 rares and some additional packs in the free track of the mastery pass for logging in on the 26th (or something, it's kinda vague)

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah the current NPE decks are the guild themed ones they used in the event. Anyone who doesn't have them yet gets them on the 26th and the remain the NPE until they decide to update those again, which will likely around the next core set once the Ravnica stuff starts getting close to rotation.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

flatluigi posted:

existing players are getting them on patch day

Oh gently caress yeah! Thats cool.

EDIT: Whats the best Arena overlay? I would like one that shows my deck, but also has state tracking. I used untapped.gg but it doesn't seem to have state tracking (at least that I can see)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

axeil posted:

This is why I'm waiting to buy my last packs of RNA/GRN till after we get the npe decks because they each have a shockland.
Is that how it works? I thought with precons that they add whatever cards are necessary to your collection to be able to build it, but if you’ve already got the rares or whatever, they don’t just give you an extra one anyway.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

During the NPE I got definitely added on new copies of cards. I remember reading it added vault progress, back then.

The big question with these is whether or not 5th copies give gems or vault progress. I feel like they spent time coding it so it doesn't do the former but perhaps the latter?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Eternal formats are fun, I hope wizards doesn’t kill this one through mismanagement

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Modern is fun, it lets me cast Angel's Grace on turn 4, into Ad Nauseum allowing me to drop to 1 life, pick up my entire deck, pitch 3 Simian Spirit Guides, play Lightning storm, hold priority, pitch 9 lands to put 9 charge counters on Lightning Storm and blast my opponent for 21. Also that deck will probably never be playable with arena's UI lol

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hey the mastery pass said i got 2 arclight phoenixes for my mythic card reward, but when i checked my collection i only had a single one, what gives

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Davincie posted:

hey the mastery pass said i got 2 arclight phoenixes for my mythic card reward, but when i checked my collection i only had a single one, what gives

Graphical bug, you only got one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

So I'm hearing some concerns that this f2p pricing model for the digital version of the world's most expensive card game is a bit stingy

Precisely. Comparing Arena to any other F2P game doesn't make a lot of sense to me... mostly because Magic is just a better, more fun game to play with a much higher skill ceiling than absolutely anything else available. For the first time in history, you can play real, competitive magic... basically for free. You can build a collection and play a variety of decks without ever spending a dime, and the only thing you have to do is actually play Magic. I can't stress enough how revolutionary Arena is for the game and how great it is to see an affordable way to play standard for the first time since loving Lorwyn block.

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

During the NPE I got definitely added on new copies of cards. I remember reading it added vault progress, back then.

The big question with these is whether or not 5th copies give gems or vault progress. I feel like they spent time coding it so it doesn't do the former but perhaps the latter?

In a video from a few weeks ago they said the NPE decks won't provide vault progress (and also implied they won't provide gems). Basically, if you already have the cards in these decks, you get screwed over. Don't open GRN/RNA packs until the 26th if you can help it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SalTheBard posted:

EDIT: Whats the best Arena overlay? I would like one that shows my deck, but also has state tracking. I used untapped.gg but it doesn't seem to have state tracking (at least that I can see)

I don't know what you mean by state tracking but untapped.gg is the best by far

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

flatluigi posted:

I don't know what you mean by state tracking but untapped.gg is the best by far

Excuse the typo...I meant STAT tracking (win rate with a particular deck)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SalTheBard posted:

Excuse the typo...I meant STAT tracking (win rate with a particular deck)

it is in fact doing that in closed beta right now (and it owns)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait I want to be in the closed beta

quote:

Stonecoil Serpent – X
Artifact Creature – Snake – Rare
Reach, trample, protection from multicolored
Stonecoil Serpent enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0

quote:

Countryside Villa

Land - Plains
Countryside Villa enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more other Plains. If Countryside Villa enters the battlefield untapped, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Does Bonecrusher Giant's ability apply when it's on the stack being cast as a creature, I wonder?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

IMJack posted:

Does Bonecrusher Giant's ability apply when it's on the stack being cast as a creature, I wonder?

No.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Take it with a grain of salt, because this was posted in a discord but it looks official enough? I don't speak French but it seems pretty clear to me that if this is true that 2:1 is dead, as is their plan to add 20 random cards every now and then.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It was also posted in German, pretty sure it's legit.

RIP adding new cards to historic, a thing that would have made the format way more interesting

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

RIP adding new cards to historic, a thing that would have made the format way more interesting

I'm sure they'll still add new cards in some way, even if it's not exactly how they planned it originally.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Historic not getting new cards and not counting towards weekly wins is just gonna kill the format more than 2:1 WCs will.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-update-historic-2019-09-12

NEW HISTORIC CARDS
We will start to add new cards to Historic in November. We’ll be thinking through what the right target of cards to add is and how players can acquire these new cards. These cards will be added to the game differently than cards in Standard, but we’re still working on exactly how to do that.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Eej posted:

Historic not getting new cards and not counting towards weekly wins is just gonna kill the format more than 2:1 WCs will.

It gets new cards literally 4 times a year

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why you'd do "Historic Ranked, for a limited time." Like, MTGO supports a fuckton of formats and it may not be instant queues but it isn't terrible from my understanding. Why is it so hard for them with Arena to add one more

e; everything else seems good

e2; nevermind they still are adding new cards to Historic before the format even has a chance to get going on its own so???

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 13, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The black knight being a human super pissed me off because that something like a ghost or a zombie would be able to do but a normal human that isn’t like a wizard shouldn’t be a 0/0.

All that said there being a straight up Monty Python reference in magic to gathering is so loving cool and twee that I am kind of having a moment about it.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Alright, what can we all complain about next?

How about those islands? loving bullshit.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rhaegar posted:

Alright, what can we all complain about next?

How about those islands? loving bullshit.

I'm hoping 2020 is the Year of the Swamp

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
historic is still going to get new cards -- and it should because there's gonna be decks that overtake the format to a large degree and there's not really a better way to fix that than by releasing cards that help curb those decks

printing them in regular sets is a no-go for a few reasons, primarily that regular sets have several years of leadup in development time + there are just going to be cards too strong for standard that fit better in an extended format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

I like MTG Arena Pro. Has all kinds of stats and will even track the rewards/packs you unlock to give you updated odds on pulling a specific card.

Plus it has a really useful deckbuilding tool and meta analyzer.

CapnAndy posted:

Is that how it works? I thought with precons that they add whatever cards are necessary to your collection to be able to build it, but if you’ve already got the rares or whatever, they don’t just give you an extra one anyway.

I'm pretty sure they said you would get the cards in the NPE decks unless you already had 4 of them in which case you won't get anything.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Take it with a grain of salt, because this was posted in a discord but it looks official enough? I don't speak French but it seems pretty clear to me that if this is true that 2:1 is dead, as is their plan to add 20 random cards every now and then.

Guess reddit's complaining worked.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

15-20 random cards was a really bad way to do it. I hope they implement the backwards fill where they add old sets not in Arena starting with the most recent. That's a much more reasonable way to add cards.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 13, 2019