Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So instead of making historic prohibitively expensive they'll make it completely pointless.

It's amazing the depths these people will sink to before admitting they really don't want people to play Historic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The very gall, to stoop so low

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GimmickMan posted:

So instead of making historic prohibitively expensive they'll make it completely pointless.

It's amazing the depths these people will sink to before admitting they really don't want people to play Historic.
They've more or less outright stated it, I dont think that's the issue.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I really like the idea of one month of historic before each new set.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

axeil posted:

15-20 random cards was a really bad way to do it. I hope they implement the backwards fill where they add old sets not in Arena starting with the most recent. That's a much more reasonable way to add cards.

they're still adding new cards, and also adding entire sets to historic at a time would gently caress up historic a hell of a lot more than a small curated list every few months

quote:

NEW HISTORIC CARDS
We will start to add new cards to Historic in November. We’ll be thinking through what the right target of cards to add is and how players can acquire these new cards. These cards will be added to the game differently than cards in Standard, but we’re still working on exactly how to do that.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Is it just me or does ELD seem like a low power set so far? I feel like when we were seeing WAR spoilers every rare seemed nasty but a lot of these new rares don't get me excited at all.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dracula Factory posted:

Is it just me or does ELD seem like a low power set so far? I feel like when we were seeing WAR spoilers every rare seemed nasty but a lot of these new rares don't get me excited at all.

It’s pretty common knowledge that they’ve been trying to depower standard for a while now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm no expert for sure, but as a mid-tier player I think lowering the general power level is good. Having every match be full of bombs and "you better be able to counter/destroy/remove this NOW" cards is no bueno.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Low power standards are fine if you have access to Modern so you can get your big combos and synergies off.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

Wait I want to be in the closed beta

Millstone Gargoyle and Millstone Book seem like they'll be pretty good with Mill Yourself Jace. Mill everybody and whoever runs out of cards first, you win either way!

Sinteres posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-update-historic-2019-09-12

NEW HISTORIC CARDS
We will start to add new cards to Historic in November. We’ll be thinking through what the right target of cards to add is and how players can acquire these new cards. These cards will be added to the game differently than cards in Standard, but we’re still working on exactly how to do that.
Good change. Now just name whatever price you'd like and sell an All The Slivers We Ever Printed collection for Historic, WotC, please and thank you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
WAR was probably the highest power level we are gonna see for a while.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CapnAndy posted:

Mill Yourself Jace.

Magic the Gathering Arena: Go Mill Yourself

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If it's anything like HS, the meta gets more and more overpowered as the sets increase and then drops upon rotation. First sets in a "block" are usually lower powered (and usually the first post-rotation meta is the best)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Also saying things like "this looks like a low power set" is a great way to get quoted and made fun of 2 months from now. we just had ixalan, this is way more powerful than that.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I've never played standard before GRN, but I guess it makes sense for the first new set in a rotation to be a little weaker or else you start to get power creep. And I imagine after designing the game for this long they probably have a good idea of how to prevent creep.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it is also a truth in every single card game that people are extremely bad at card evaluation before a set is actually in people's hands

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What were the biggest M20 misses? I don't think anyone saw Kethis coming.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

people thought field of the dead would be terrible

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
:laffo: the arena subreddit is still complaining. Unbelievable. They are not gonna make a format that kneecaps Standard. No weekly win credit is a much more acceptable alternative than the original proposal.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

axeil posted:

:laffo: the arena subreddit is still complaining. Unbelievable. They are not gonna make a format that kneecaps Standard. No weekly win credit is a much more acceptable alternative than the original proposal.

Yeah I was with them before but I think the compromise is pretty reasonable, even if I think Wizards still really really needs to stop doing this 'roll out a bad plan that's too greedy, then cave under pressure' thing because it's extremely toxic for the community and conditions people to riot all the time. I mean this is twice this summer alone.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 13, 2019

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I'm a midrangey valu-town player at heart so I'm psyched that the big splash mechanic in this set is an assload of creatures with a free spell bolted on. It's wait and see on how many of them end up good though because yeah.

flatluigi posted:

it is also a truth in every single card game that people are extremely bad at card evaluation before a set is actually in people's hands

and we also don't have a complete picture of what the other cards in the set are to support it and we don't know what's coming down the line in future sets.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

axeil posted:

It's not just weeklies. It's weeklies and dailies.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

You can get the daily/weekly wins from the historic ranked when it's offered though. So you just play mostly standard unless they're doing a historic event which is what Wizards wants you to be doing and now they can get you to do it without just pricing you out of historic. There was always going to be something pushing people back to standard and this is a really reasonable way to do it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

GimmickMan posted:

Who cares about dailies. You can still do quests in historic, which is nice.

I think I'm mostly fine with these changes because I tend to finish off my 15 weekly wins pretty early in the week anyways, so the rest of the week I can just play historic to do the daily quests.

Edit: The article also says Historic Ranked will count towards everything (dailies, quests, and weekly wins). So really if they just keep Historic Ranked up indefinitely, all our issues would be solved.

qbert fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 13, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lagomorphic posted:

and we also don't have a complete picture of what the other cards in the set are to support it and we don't know what's coming down the line in future sets.

Yeah but that'll never stop the doofus that will pop off with :byodood: SET BAD???? having only seen half the cards.

there's a lot of seeds in this set for Theros 2 too, multiple cards that care about enchantments, and mana intensive costs for Devotion if it comes back.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Adventures are great and food is bad, that's my opinion of the set so far

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I think they're going to do a cycle of standard ranked only when a new set comes out, then they bring in historic ranked once people hit the point where the meta is mostly known and they're just waiting for the new set.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

axeil posted:

These people still complain about the mastery pass.

These people don't understand why wotc is worried about historic in the least. And they don't care.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It was also posted in German, pretty sure it's legit.

RIP adding new cards to historic, a thing that would have made the format way more interesting

uhhh have you seen the current Standard 2020 event? Not a single one of the Eldraine preview cards makes the format anything but terrible.

At least half the "special" event formats re also terrible. I had zero faith in their ability to pick cards that make formats anything but terrible

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Spiderdrake posted:

These people still complain about the mastery pass.

These people don't understand why wotc is worried about historic in the least. And they don't care.
They don't care about maximizing profits for wotc? guess they're not true fans.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kashuno posted:

The announcer from Gauntlet Legends would like to have a word with you.

Also there's going to be some crazy eater-of-food that makes the whole mechanic worthwhile until they have to ban it.

Probably not 'til the next set though.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Kashuno posted:

Food is ok. It was really fun in that town deck when I was able to pump my fae King up to absurd levels by saccing food to it

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Best thing about a bunch of Food in the format is that it makes mono-red worse.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

No Wave posted:

They don't care about maximizing profits for wotc? guess they're not true fans.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qbert posted:

Best thing about a bunch of Food in the format is that it makes mono-red worse.

too slow imo

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

The Goose on T1 into Oko T2 seems fast enough to me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GimmickMan posted:

incorrect

quote:

HISTORIC PLAY QUEUE
A best-of-one Historic Play Queue will be added to MTG Arena on September 26 and will be a way to play Historic that is always available. You will be able to complete daily quests for the Historic Play Queue. This play queue will not progress a player's daily or weekly win rewards. Players can earn daily and weekly win rewards through Historic Events and Ranked Historic events when available.

the win 15 games weekly and the gold/ICRs for daily wins won't get progressed, but you can still do the big 500g/750g+XP daily quests in historic

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

This feels strong enough to keep 1-2 copies of in an aggro deck. The possibilities for this are good. Turn 3 Drakuseth, early equip of a Colossus Hammer, having 2 green usable to make a 7/8 Voracious Hydra to kill something or make it 14/15. IF there's no answers to any of these the game is pretty much over.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Waffleopolis posted:

This feels strong enough to keep 1-2 copies of in an aggro deck. The possibilities for this are good. Turn 3 Drakuseth, early equip of a Colossus Hammer, having 2 green usable to make a 7/8 Voracious Hydra to kill something or make it 14/15. IF there's no answers to any of these the game is pretty much over.

It's too expensive for an aggro deck, and requires you to have even more expensive cards to run with it. An aggro deck doesn't want to be running enough land that a drak is not a dead card in any game where they don't draw this.

A midrange deck maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Waffleopolis posted:

really makes me want to make a big spells deck again tbh

banefire rotates though

edit: right, you're not getting the electrodominance cheat oops