Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I feel for guys who are marginal NFL prospects who might have their one shot at an NFL team derailed. Like, I feel sorry for a guy like Sam Eguavoen getting his one shot in the NFL and ending up playing a bunch of psuedo 3-4 OLB looks rather than MLB looks because he ended up on a team transitioning defenses.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is just an rear end in a top hat. He's got three years of team control, is being asked to do what he was drafted to do, and really has no one to blame about performance other than himself.

I've seen more "never side with labor" takes from TFF than anywhere else on the forum and it's always wild because yall double down on it enough it can't really be ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Chris James 2 posted:

I've seen more "never side with labor" takes from TFF than anywhere else on the forum and it's always wild because yall double down on it enough it can't really be ignored

Really? Wasnt the whole AB thing pre sexual assault "Always side with labor"?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Phobeste posted:

Only mentally weak teams get screwed by karma (for instance the jets and darnolds mono). Mentally strong and adaptable teams handle the vagaries of fate as they come and make karma play left handed

Yeah like the Patriots being able to adapt to the whole Hernandez situation in stride was always impressive to me I don't think many teams would have been able to handle losing a player that well then the cap tomfoolery as well as they did

mcmagic posted:

chickenshit answer bro

You asked what kind of fan I am how am I supposed to answer!!!??!!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I know the chances are that Gase doesn't succeed here but I actually like him personally more than any Jets coach in a long time. He's very forthcoming and honest in the press conferences and he already has taking to making GBS threads on Manish daily.

Metapod posted:

Yeah like the Patriots being able to adapt to the whole Hernandez situation in stride was always impressive to me I don't think many teams would have been able to handle losing a player that well then the cap tomfoolery as well as they did

This is broke brain

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 13, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
who would be surprised if it turns out belichik has a guy in the stadium somewhere that can eavesdrop on the coaches headsets every game

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Play posted:

who would be surprised if it turns out belichik has a guy in the stadium somewhere that can eavesdrop on the coaches headsets every game

I just assumed that happens

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ehud posted:

I just assumed that happens

Like Kyle Shanahan said recently, "some people in the league think that if you aren't cheating you aren't trying"

I feel like that would absolutely be a Bill-style perspective on the world

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

This is broke brain

They handled it very well how is that broke brain!?!?!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Play posted:

and as a partiots fan that rubs off on you right? just a breed apart i suppose\

Not sure what you’re getting at here? It’s a professional football team I grew up following, not part of me

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Chris James 2 posted:

We've all got blood on our hands from this sport, in some way or the other.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Catch me uncritically applying labor theory to infighting between the 1%

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Metapod posted:

They handled it very well how is that broke brain!?!?!

Well they didn't make the Super Bowl that year so technically it was a lost season.

Nov 6, 2002

Play posted:

They used to eavesdrop on Gase but every playcall was just off tackle run or pass to RB in the flat.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Catfish Noodlin posted:

We've all got blood on our hands from this sport, in some way or the other.

Yeah. Every player who gets drafted should Elway the gently caress out of the situation till they get where they want to go.

My quarrel is not with the Dolphins for playing him out of position (or for tanking), or Minkah for trying to live his best life/career, it's for whichever fuckwit in the front office is considering trading him for pennies on the dollar because he's had a sulk.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Yeah. Every player who gets drafted should Elway the gently caress out of the situation till they get where they want to go.

My quarrel is not with the Dolphins for playing him out of position (or for tanking), or Minkah for trying to live his best life/career, it's for whichever fuckwit in the front office is considering trading him for pennies on the dollar because he's had a sulk.

That's the thing the way they're just acquiescing makes it seem like they were thinking about moving him the whole time

Honestly, there's an okay chance he's just not as good as people thought he'd be. It's really hard to tell, because he's on the Dolphins

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Allowing a trade for Minkah is just the Dolphins way of making tanking less obvious.

“Well we lost our best CB, among other things. That’s why we had such a terrible season.”

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Play posted:

That's the thing the way they're just acquiescing makes it seem like they were thinking about moving him the whole time

Also possible, also stupid

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Dolphins want Tua. Tua and Minkah are friends. Minkah leaves in a snit, stinks up the fins management. Tua Elways the fins.

How about just keeping young, under contract talent and use them in a way that benefits the team and the player? Minkah looked like poo poo playing out of position, and very good in position. Seems like a pretty straight-forward solution.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

torgeaux posted:

Dolphins want Tua. Tua and Minkah are friends. Minkah leaves in a snit, stinks up the fins management. Tua Elways the fins.

How about just keeping young, under contract talent and use them in a way that benefits the team and the player? Minkah looked like poo poo playing out of position, and very good in position. Seems like a pretty straight-forward solution.

either you fit brian flores' system the way he wants or you can hit the road, JACK

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ehud posted:

either you fit brian flores' system the way he wants or you can hit the road, JACK

I think that's a big part. "I am the boss, I say things, you do things or you leave." Of course, if you are a winner, then folks say, sure, genius. If you're a first year coach who is going to be lucky to have a 1-15 record, even if understandable, you don't have the cachet to make that work. All people see is: Did not work to make his team a long term success through the draft, cutting expensive players, he hurt the team over the next 3-5 years by trading away young, under contract talent. Why would a player want to come there? Big money? There comes a point where you cannot outbid other teams who have the same cap as you.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

hurtful

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CameronWolfe/status/1172581416519032832

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

now how are we going to win?!

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

now how are we going to win?!

How many positions did you say Minkah can play?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ehud posted:

I mean, putting aside the proposed labor model we will have after the revolution where players freely associate with teams and choose what they do on any given play, the gently caress is the alternative?

You can't put together a defensive scheme where every single player in a single streamlined position designed to maximize their performance for marketing purposes. Sometimes players have to do dirty work, and that decision is at least from a football standpoint probably best made by the coaching staff.

Asking him to play some strong safety isn't doing violence against his person, livelihood, and career.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Enough to keep the loss to double figures.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ehud posted:

I love how Belichick almost never actually does this but all his assistants are totally committed to SQUARE PEG MEET ROUND HOLE OR GTFO MOTERFUCKER!!!

I get not cheating being as smart as Belichick, but it's sincerely impressive how so many guys who spent years with him can't figure out that him being an abrasive prick is mostly incidental, and not the ONE WEIRD TRICK TO ETERNAL RINGZ.

"He's a motherfucker and got 6 rings, so I'm gonna be DOUBLE THE MOTEHRFUCKER and get 18 RINGS!!111!" :shuckyes:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I mean, putting aside the proposed labor model we will have after the revolution where players freely associate with teams and choose what they do on any given play, the gently caress is the alternative?

You can't put together a defensive scheme where every single player in a single streamlined position designed to maximize their performance for marketing purposes. Sometimes players have to do dirty work, and that decision is at least from a football standpoint probably best made by the coaching staff.

Asking him to play some strong safety isn't doing violence against his person, livelihood, and career.

Your sucking up to the final management would have more weight if that defensive scheme hadn't allowed 59 points and proven to be poo poo.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

How many positions did you say Minkah can play?

only one at any given time, unfortunately

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

torgeaux posted:

Your sucking up to the final management would have more weight if that defensive scheme hadn't allowed 59 points and proven to be poo poo.

This is lazy reductionism, and the concept of "sucking up" doesn't even make any loving sense in this context.

The Dolphins didn't give up 59 points because Minkah Fitzpatrick having a gap in the run game sometimes is some sort of criminal coaching negligence.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Catfish Noodlin posted:

This is lazy reductionism, and the concept of "sucking up" doesn't even make any loving sense in this context.

The Dolphins didn't give up 59 points because Minkah Fitzpatrick having a gap in the run game sometimes is some sort of criminal coaching negligence.

Dude, you continuing to defend indefensible positions on behalf of the management is amazing. And, you're right, Minkah wasn't the problem in isolation. The failure to provide over the top help after that was shown to be necessary in literally the first possession was coaching failure #2.

But, you cannot talk about how Minkah is at fault for criticizing a scheme that failed explosively. Or pretend that player buy in is the problem. That was Gase all the way, and it ended predictably. Minkah is excellent at something, above average at others, and woefully unqualified at still others. Pushing him to do one of the things he does poorly is bad coaching. Why not just have him in as nose tackle?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Just heard a doctor on WFAN say that if this was their son and they had Mono he wouldn't let him play football this season.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Just heard a doctor on WFAN say that if this was their son and they had Mono he wouldn't let him play football this season.

well sam darnold is my son and I say it's just a little cold, don't be a pussy go get em tiger!!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Play posted:

well sam darnold is my son and I say it's just a little cold, don't be a pussy go get em tiger!!

This, but unironically.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Darnold could get the Jets to the playoffs if he’s willing to dress up like Brady’s son.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

torgeaux posted:

Dude, you continuing to defend indefensible positions on behalf of the management is amazing. And, you're right, Minkah wasn't the problem in isolation. The failure to provide over the top help after that was shown to be necessary in literally the first possession was coaching failure #2.

But, you cannot talk about how Minkah is at fault for criticizing a scheme that failed explosively. Or pretend that player buy in is the problem. That was Gase all the way, and it ended predictably. Minkah is excellent at something, above average at others, and woefully unqualified at still others. Pushing him to do one of the things he does poorly is bad coaching. Why not just have him in as nose tackle?

The problem wasn't the gameplan. We can discuss scheme poo poo all day if you want, but if you're going to take the Armando Salguero X's and O's of the analysis of the game as gospel because the result was godawful I don't know if I can help you dude.

Given the players you fielded, your best bet was probably putting the defensive game-plan on the backs of your coverage players and hope that despite everything they could hold up against a wicked play-action scheme with pretty much every compounding threat you can think of(option/quality run game/OL/fast skill position players) against them. It's risky, and you were probably going to get roasted some in almost any scenario, but if it worked out you could have made the Ravens play more conservative, ball-control football and maybe in the best-case scenario make a solid game out of it.
Your could have maybe pretended your defensive line could stress the quarterback by collapsing the pocket in a hyper-disciplined, lane-based rush game that could have accounted for a scrambling QB, accountability for the option and the consequent play-action, and use that to keep your coverage players out of conflict vs. the pass and play action. You'd have probably given up less points and less highlight reel plays, but you're probably not contesting the game even if everything goes to plan.

If you want a real alternative, it's not a gameplan. It's probably spending $40+ million in total cap on stop-gap players. Maybe that ends up being the right decision, and you've got every right to be anxious about that choice- but it's really probably something you're going to figure out in retrospect. Minkah Fitzpatrick and all.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Catfish Noodlin posted:

The problem wasn't the gameplan. We can discuss scheme poo poo all day if you want, but if you're going to take the Armando Salguero X's and O's of the analysis of the game as gospel because the result was godawful I don't know if I can help you dude.

Given the players you fielded, your best bet was probably putting the defensive game-plan on the backs of your coverage players and hope that despite everything they could hold up against a wicked play-action scheme with pretty much every compounding threat you can think of(option/quality run game/OL/fast skill position players) against them. It's risky, and you were probably going to get roasted some in almost any scenario, but if it worked out you could have made the Ravens play more conservative, ball-control football and maybe in the best-case scenario make a solid game out of it.
Your could have maybe pretended your defensive line could stress the quarterback by collapsing the pocket in a hyper-disciplined, lane-based rush game that could have accounted for a scrambling QB, accountability for the option and the consequent play-action, and use that to keep your coverage players out of conflict vs. the pass and play action. You'd have probably given up less points and less highlight reel plays, but you're probably not contesting the game even if everything goes to plan.

If you want a real alternative, it's not a gameplan. It's probably spending $40+ million in total cap on stop-gap players. Maybe that ends up being the right decision, and you've got every right to be anxious about that choice- but it's really probably something you're going to figure out in retrospect. Minkah Fitzpatrick and all.

You really just keep talking past the point. One, Minkah wasn't the issue with the drubbing; the scheme was terrible, it was a coaching problem. They were never going to win, but 59 points is a joke from a team that kept its defense relatively intact with some improvements. Two, the team is putting Minkah in positions that are far from his best, and having him practice and prep for so many positions takes away prep time from his more natural position. That's a coaching problem. No, you don't let a player dictate where they play, but you also don't figuratively play Jay Z to him, either, which is what the team is doing. That's a coaching problem. You also don't let all your young talent go when you're ostensibly doing a rebuild based on draft grown talent and reasonable free agency.

Your apparent knowledge of the game play/plan would be more impressive if your conclusions weren't at odds with that analysis.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mcmagic posted:

A kid in my senior class on the team got it and we didnt see him for like 5 months and he came back a ghost

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

torgeaux posted:

You really just keep talking past the point. One, Minkah wasn't the issue with the drubbing; the scheme was terrible, it was a coaching problem. They were never going to win, but 59 points is a joke from a team that kept its defense relatively intact with some improvements. Two, the team is putting Minkah in positions that are far from his best, and having him practice and prep for so many positions takes away prep time from his more natural position. That's a coaching problem. No, you don't let a player dictate where they play, but you also don't figuratively play Jay Z to him, either, which is what the team is doing. That's a coaching problem. You also don't let all your young talent go when you're ostensibly doing a rebuild based on draft grown talent and reasonable free agency.

Your apparent knowledge of the game play/plan would be more impressive if your conclusions weren't at odds with that analysis.

You're not asking Minkah Fitzpatrick to do anything he didn't do at Alabama. Not a single thing. You asked him to basically play two positions vs. the Ravens- slot, and dime linebacker- which was 85%+ of his snaps at Alabama in the "star" position.You're not asking him to learn or do more than a lot of other safeties in the league are doing. Not players in this defensive scheme(Chung, McCourty), and not more than other young, developing players(Derwin James played everything that's being asked of Fitzpatrick week 1 of his rookie season).

If you put Minkah Fitzpatrick in his best position(slot corner), you're contending with him being a part-time position whose presence of the field is dictated by offensive package. He's best at covering in traffic in the middle of the field, pretty much period full stop. If you're going to do that on an every-down basis, you're going to have to give him a gap in the run game, which seems to be what he's balking at.

He's probably got the capability to be a solid free safety, but that's not what he's best at. He's not worth a first round pick as a single-high safety. He doesn't have the explosiveness to get outside of the numbers from center-field. If he did, there's like a zero percentage chance that Nick Saban wouldn't put him there. The guy tells everyone who will listen that Cover-1 is the best shell in football, and having the safety for it is pretty well your biggest constraint to running it. Everything else you're doing substantially changes your scheme. You want him as a split safety who isn't filling a gap between the tackles? You're changing your entire front's scheme to support it, either by explicitly throwing out formations or asking your 220 pound OLBs to drive TEs and Tackles back into the interior gaps on the edges.

There's a price for all this poo poo beyond Minkah Fitzpatrick's individual performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

torgeaux posted:

:agreed: thank you