Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

does nothing with finale of promise, but works well to get to x=10 for the other colors, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Expansion/Explosion is the card you're looking for, or any finale except the red one which is pretty funny.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Spiderdrake posted:

Expansion/Explosion is the card you're looking for, or any finale except the red one which is pretty funny.

oh hey expansion does work on irencrag huh

I was remembering it being 3 cmc or less not 4 or less

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

No Wave posted:

They don't care about maximizing profits for wotc? guess they're not true fans.

If Historic takes off it will actually kneecap wotc's profits lol

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Huh I guess you've already cast the Feat before Expansioning it, and then still have one more to cast after?

I'll probably do this in Niv brawl or something really stupid.

Eej posted:

If Historic takes off it will actually kneecap wotc's profits lol
Can't wait for 400 gem boosters of curated masters sets

400 because 350 isn't a round number and a focus group fround it's "more fun" to pay in round numbers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BTW, is posting it like this alright with everybody

Is magic mirror real good

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Spiderdrake posted:

Huh I guess you've already cast the Feat before Expansioning it, and then still have one more to cast after?

I'll probably do this in Niv brawl or something really stupid.

i feel like it might be too inconsistent in singleton to ramp that hard so early, but also i'm absolutely making a big spells niv brawl deck with thousand year storm in it now that you mention it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rhaegar posted:

Alright, what can we all complain about next?

How about those islands? loving bullshit.

I know right? Clearly rivers. loving Games Workshop.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I'd actually like to see a change where you have to tap 2 islands to get 1 blue mana.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spiderdrake posted:

Can't wait for 400 gem boosters of curated masters sets

400 because 350 isn't a round number and a focus group fround it's "more fun" to pay in round numbers

Really if Historic becomes the next Modern then the only people who truly lose are MTGFinance types and also your LGS. Because there's barely any reason to play paper magic at that point aside from the greater card library and the tabletop experience.

zoux posted:

Is magic mirror real good

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
That gargoyle is real good.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Only the checklands are rotating right? shocklands are still in for a while?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

odinson posted:

Only the checklands are rotating right? shocklands are still in for a while?

Until this time next year.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Propaganda Hour posted:

That gargoyle is real good.

I'd say it has the potential to be good, if someone can build the right mill/control type deck around it.

Grumgully I think will definitely see play in Standard. Makes Chandra, Acolyte of Flame insane and think of the synergies with like Skarrgan Hellkite, Legion Warboss, or Incubation Druid.

qbert fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 13, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

oh hey expansion does work on irencrag huh

I was remembering it being 3 cmc or less not 4 or less

so, who's a judge?

cast irencrag feat. in response, cast expansion copying irencrag feat. a copy of irencrag feat goes on the stack. can you cast another spell that turn?

the way my friends and I think it works is that at first it seems like you can, since copies aren't cast. then, it seems like you can't, since the copy says 'you can only cast one more spell' and it'll count the original irencrag as that spell. however, given that you've already cast both irencrags and are just resolving them, neither of them count as a spell you've cast after either irencrag resolved

it's some fun thinking though

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't think that's gonna work.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm pretty sure it works, Expansion is cast then makes a copy, but happens after Feat is cast but before it revolves the "one more spell" limit. You can't for example use abilities that say "Your opponent can't cast spells" to counter a spell on the stack.

I still don't know how Oko's ability works with Glass Casket/Deputy of Detention, though. I think it doesn't benefit, but I'm not too clear.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

flatluigi posted:

so, who's a judge?

cast irencrag feat. in response, cast expansion copying irencrag feat. a copy of irencrag feat goes on the stack. can you cast another spell that turn?

the way my friends and I think it works is that at first it seems like you can, since copies aren't cast. then, it seems like you can't, since the copy says 'you can only cast one more spell' and it'll count the original irencrag as that spell. however, given that you've already cast both irencrags and are just resolving them, neither of them count as a spell you've cast after either irencrag resolved

That’s not how it works. The copy won’t see you cast the original, the original is cast, you copy it when it’s on the stack, then they both resolve and you get 14 red mana. I’m like 95% on that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

flatluigi posted:

so, who's a judge?

I'm not a judge but I think you can copy and still cast another spell afterwards. Like you said the restriction doesn't go into effect until after the copy resolves. The original on the stack has already been cast, it's just resolving now so you haven't used up your additional cast for the turn.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
One things is for sure, whoever tests it on release day is either gonna feel really big brain or really foolish.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

qbert posted:

I'm not a judge but I think you can copy and still cast another spell afterwards. Like you said the restriction doesn't go into effect until after the copy resolves. The original on the stack has already been cast, it's just resolving now so you haven't used up your additional cast for the turn.

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s not how it works. The copy won’t see you cast the original, the original is cast, you copy it when it’s on the stack, then they both resolve and you get 14 red mana. I’m like 95% on that.

I probably worded it badly (phone typing!) but that is basically what we ended up agreeing on

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Folio of Fancies + Narset seems pretty deece.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Waffleopolis posted:

Turn 3 Drakuseth

Not sure what deck you're envisioning where you can both have 4 mana on turn 3 AND have three of it be red.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

TheMaestroso posted:

Not sure what deck you're envisioning where you can both have 4 mana on turn 3 AND have three of it be red.

You just need 1 G/R source and either Paradise Druid or Incubation Druid on Turn 2.

I'm also trying to brainstorm a 5-color deck that uses Faeburrow Elder as a ramp unit, Niv-Mizzet Reborn as a card draw and a steroid booster for Faeburrow Elder, Kenrith as a swiss army knife, Sphinx of the Guildpact as an additional means to power up Faeburrow Elder and be a fat flyer with some protection, and Golos as a ramp unit with a 5-color upside. I just need to figure out the rest. :/

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yes the casting restriction only goes into effect once a Feat resolves (in this case the copy will resolve first) once that happens anything already on the stack is fine since it's already been cast and you can cast one more spell (probably an Explosion but you do you).

TheMaestroso posted:

Big Red is an archtype that is occasionally good.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 13, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cool it's that devoid card only not sucking rear end this time. Well not a full rear end.

Still lolling they put the extra words on there to make the card slightly worse. Oh no if you have seven targets in EDH and seven red mana you're still playing a suboptimal card!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Spiderdrake posted:

Cool it's that devoid card only not sucking rear end this time. Well not a full rear end.

I seem to remember Kozilek's Return being a staple of at least one deck in the OGW/SOI/EDM Standard season. But that cost 2R and cast for free from your graveyard when you played a big spell.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Could be decent in limited, but if you're going to put a 7 CMC card in your deck in Constructed, there are a lot more powerful/broken things you could be doing than dealing 7 damage divided among 3 targets.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This might be obvious, but if you're someone who doesn't generally play ranked and you're trying to grind the standard 2020 event, doing ranked in bronze or silver is probably easier than the unranked queue. Even if it's roughly comparable, you may as well raise your rank in the process and kill two birds with one stone to get an extra pack or two at the end of the month.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheMaestroso posted:

I seem to remember Kozilek's Return being a staple of at least one deck in the OGW/SOI/EDM Standard season. But that cost 2R and cast for free from your graveyard when you played a big spell.
Return? Return was a staple. You cast it off the octopus fiend.

I'm referring to Serpentine Strike, which you wouldn't remember, but it was memorable to me since there was exactly 1 unspoiled rare in BFZ and it was this:

I just remember it because I was like "Where's that drat last rare?" and it took three scrolls to actually find it since nothing said rare other than the icon.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Waffleopolis posted:

You just need 1 G/R source and either Paradise Druid or Incubation Druid on Turn 2.

I'm also trying to brainstorm a 5-color deck that uses Faeburrow Elder as a ramp unit, Niv-Mizzet Reborn as a card draw and a steroid booster for Faeburrow Elder, Kenrith as a swiss army knife, Sphinx of the Guildpact as an additional means to power up Faeburrow Elder and be a fat flyer with some protection, and Golos as a ramp unit with a 5-color upside. I just need to figure out the rest. :/

Hybrid-mana permanents. They're multi-color even if you only paid one color for them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is it me or is that blatantly Shrek on Barge In?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Spiderdrake posted:

Still lolling they put the extra words on there to make the card slightly worse. Oh no if you have seven targets in EDH and seven red mana you're still playing a suboptimal card!

I think I prefer ember shot for that price.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

SalTheBard posted:

Excuse the typo...I meant STAT tracking (win rate with a particular deck)

https://mtgatool.com/ is what I use. It has stat tracking and overlays and more

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

This event would almost be bearable if they didn't have the stupid anti-mirror match tech turned on. Since 75% of people are playing cavalcade, that means if you play any deck other than cavalcade, you get matched up vs cavalcade.
And now my deck is doing this thing where if I get a cavalcade in my opening hand, it means I get 0 of my 20-drops to play with it. But every opening hand has 3-drops even though the only 3 drops are chandra, chandra's firespitter, and a couple legion warboss. Somehow those show up more often than hasty 1-drops

but at least I'm apparently done with it, according to that tracker. If I miss any more XP, I'm just buying it gently caress this.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 14, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I've decided I do not like this Yarok deck. I don't know if I'm just mispiloting, but I've been mulliganing hard for Reefs and if you don't get one that deck eats poo poo against everything, from RDW to jank. Maybe my list just sucks?

4 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
3 Swamp (ANA) 58
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
4 Swamp (ANA) 63
2 Dread Presence (M20) 96
1 Swamp (WAR) 257
2 Neoform (WAR) 206
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Cloudkin Seer (M20) 54
2 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94
2 Yarok, the Desecrated (M20) 220
3 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
1 Golgari Findbroker (GRN) 175
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
1 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167
3 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
3 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
2 Forest (ANA) 65
2 Hostage Taker (XLN) 223

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flatluigi posted:

so, who's a judge?

On behalf of Judge Academy and my sponsored membership paid by SCG I can confirm this works.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Btw I've literally never seen Cavalcade in this event not even once. Maybe it's cause I'm slumming it in Gold 3.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Somebudy post Sarkan 2020 deck
/?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Eej posted:

Btw I've literally never seen Cavalcade in this event not even once. Maybe it's cause I'm slumming it in Gold 3.

I ran into plenty of cavalcade in unranked, bronze, silver and gold. I wouldn't say it's as omnipresent as some people are making it out to be, but it has to be the single most common deck I've played against.