Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh, and a couple folks in the OP of this thread are absolutely from-the-ground-up success stories. Super Eyepatch Wolf literally got his start from doing a takedown of the Super Best Friend's obnoxious making GBS threads on Hunter x Hunter, and he has become a pretty significant phenomenon(much to his chagrin at times) since then.

Thew Adams is even moreso that type, someone who was literally making terrible recording quality reviews in 240p 11 years ago in his bedroom, and now has a successful patreon that he's been able to take full time and has an office(in his house) he does videos in, high quality video equipment, etc.

from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX2u4W7Hg84

to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKNQTHi7Us&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Arin's closest 'breaks' all come from poo poo like 'a person happened to see the animation he did work hard on and wanted to commission him' stuff, and he's always been super honest that yea that was just as much luck as skill, he knows where came from. Same with Dan and his music.

Game Grumps: Working Class Heroes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm so happy they dropped jontron like a rock and didn't get dragged down along with him and his insane nazi poo poo

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Well there was that one other guy who was part of the group

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOgvdbl314

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Boogie big... boogie very big

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I dunno if he's really a rags to riches sort by its strictest definition, but I'm pretty sure Vinny of Vinesauce got into streaming by his own means without being signal boosted by rich family.

Vinny's also been doing this for like, a bazillion years, which adds to it. He used to stream via justin.tv or whatever back in the day

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Vinny's also been doing this for like, a bazillion years, which adds to it. He used to stream via justin.tv or whatever back in the day

Yeah, Vinny's pretty great, I don't think he's ever had a heated gamer moment or done anything particularly stupid that came out about him.

I mean, besides the nerf dart thing but that's funny and not yikes.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Pants Donkey posted:

I think to penetrate the crowded market you kinda need mommy and daddy’s money to market you. When I worked at Best Buy, a lotta moms were taking their kid in to get streaming equipment.

I think the bigger factor is time - there's a lot of hours at the start that aren't going to pay anything, and a part-time or full-time job is going to put a major crimp on that. One friend started getting the stream life going, had gotten past a few thousand followers and then quickly realized she would effectively need to have a second full-time job if she wanted it to progress past a certain point, and that second job would pay less than her regular one unless she got really really lucky.

It's kinda like how the "entrepreneur risk gene" is bullshit - if you have a financial safety net it's a lot easier to start a business and not have to worry about eating and paying rent: https://qz.com/455109/entrepreneurs-dont-have-a-special-gene-for-risk-they-come-from-families-with-money/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

stillvisions posted:

I think the bigger factor is time - there's a lot of hours at the start that aren't going to pay anything, and a part-time or full-time job is going to put a major crimp on that. One friend started getting the stream life going, had gotten past a few thousand followers and then quickly realized she would effectively need to have a second full-time job if she wanted it to progress past a certain point, and that second job would pay less than her regular one unless she got really really lucky.

It's kinda like how the "entrepreneur risk gene" is bullshit - if you have a financial safety net it's a lot easier to start a business and not have to worry about eating and paying rent: https://qz.com/455109/entrepreneurs-dont-have-a-special-gene-for-risk-they-come-from-families-with-money/

yeah. like id love to just stream games off a ps4 and just talk to people but i am camera shy and my headset broke and i don't even know what i would play. like i don't play fortnight or many multiplayer games and id probably just do it to talk to people in chat and talk about weird stuff. plus i am starting a job soon.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, Vinny's pretty great, I don't think he's ever had a heated gamer moment or done anything particularly stupid that came out about him.

I mean, besides the nerf dart thing but that's funny and not yikes.

I mean back in the day it was a bit more toxic but that was pre-twitch and is lost to time. I'm pretty sure he never did anything racist tho

I wish imakuni would stream at more normal hours

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Vinesauce in general has had quite a bumpy ride, but ever since they decided for everyone to get their own Twitch Channel was when it improved by bounds.

Baka-nin posted:

I think one of the few rags to riches stories in internet personality history was Doug Walker, he started the NC thing while working as a night janitor at some factory and now he owns his own real estate empire (heh) in the Chicago area. and all it cost him was his soul!

The moral conclusion segment of his Lorax review, on which he did a bit after the revival of his character, after the movie with the sudden death that screwed nearly everyone on the site, that had him lecture two corporate goons being played by actors he specifically got for his non-Nostalgia Critic project he dropped nearly everyone for, a lecture about following your heart instead of easy pandering money, was my "CHRIST, WHAT AN rear end in a top hat" moment to him.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 13, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Doug is an rear end in a top hat and hypocrite, but if I remember his decision to end NC also hurt other contributors on the site since most people were going there specifically for that. Other videos were more of a “Oh that looks interesting” click, and because of CA’s awful demands, nobody had YouTube channels or any alternative to CA’s site for viewers to discover them.

Now, I have no idea if the Walkers actually rebooted NC due to pressure from contributors, but it had to have been a factor. Didn’t Doug really really want to move on from NC?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
He wanted to move on, Demo Reel was a big wet fart so he came crawling back.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
anything hosted on something calling itself "Channel Awesome" couldn't have been more than irredeemable trash anyway

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Even on this dead forum that's a harsh and rather unfair statement to make.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
channel epic awzumness with guy who screams a lot about pinky and the brain direct to video never gave me a lot of faith tbh

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Dean of Swing posted:

Having the time and support network to talk at length about videogames and comicbooks like its English Lit 101 is extremely white.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

Doug is an rear end in a top hat and hypocrite, but if I remember his decision to end NC also hurt other contributors on the site since most people were going there specifically for that. Other videos were more of a “Oh that looks interesting” click, and because of CA’s awful demands, nobody had YouTube channels or any alternative to CA’s site for viewers to discover them.

Now, I have no idea if the Walkers actually rebooted NC due to pressure from contributors, but it had to have been a factor. Didn’t Doug really really want to move on from NC?

No, people were free to use whatever hosting service they wanted, but most congregated at Blip b/c of permissive copyright enforcement and perception of it as "the place" for reviewers. Producers were also allowed to syndicate on as many aggregate sites as they wanted, which is why many reviews circa 2012 end with a half dozen stingers for different sites. Exclusivity wasn't the problem, but TGWTG/CA were by far the largest of them with the most traffic so being on NerdVice or whatever posed no meaningful risk to CA's bottom line.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Doug Walker's dickery reflective of Chicago's culture as a whole or am I reading too much into this?
Cause I never want to visit Chicago partly thanks to him.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Last I saw of a Doge Walkman episode was that even though he came back to NC he basically went into Demo Reel stuff of just recreating movies with his crew

though the last time I saw him was his ghostbusters 2016 review

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leal posted:

He wanted to move on, Demo Reel was a big wet fart so he came crawling back.

doug is kinda trapped in his weird gilded Sisyphean hell. he is an rear end in a top hat who burned most bridges and is now trapped doing the same thing forever until the channel collapses. most of the people who got out evolved in into deeper stuff or doing other stuff at their own speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uod_iO661PQ

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 13, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd be interested to see if Doug's viewership is actually increasing or decreasing. I know it was stable and CtA didn't do much to hurt him (unfortunately), but I wonder if folks mostly watch out of habit these days.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There will always be more 12-year-olds and so the cycle will always begin anew.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
No channel ever looses subscribers. Show me otherwise.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Grouchio posted:

Is Doug Walker's dickery reflective of Chicago's culture as a whole or am I reading too much into this?
Cause I never want to visit Chicago partly thanks to him.

1. No.

2. Chicago's a cool and its "reputation" is mostly fearmongering about black people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There will always be more 12-year-olds and so the cycle will always begin anew.

sure but you can only do the same thing for so long before you burn out. i mean look at wings of redemption, it was fun at first and he was an early youtube uploader and now look at him.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 13, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

1. No.

2. Chicago's a cool and its "reputation" is mostly fearmongering about black people.

well that and dickhead corrupt politics and police which help solicit fearmongering bullshit.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well that and dickhead corrupt politics and police which help solicit fearmongering bullshit.
I mean "the police will shoot you dead for no reason" is true in nearly every large American city. Chicago isn't significantly worse than say Houston in terms of the two things you list, but it does have less stigma because a smaller portion of its population are black people.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

AstroWhale posted:

Depends on what you mean.

Leading up to #ChangeTheChannel, Channel Awesome's YT channel was gaining ~20k subs every month. According to SocialBlade's numbers, Their gains dropped 7k between February and March of 2018, and then plummeted to losing ~62k by April. They recovered somewhat in the following months, but their gains have not reached the same heights as before. Oddly enough, their views didn't change at all during this time.

Overall, they made up the lost subscribers within a few months, but that was likely inevitable in any circumstance that didn't collapse the company completely. This is mainly due to how the YT algorithm works as well as exponential growth in visibility-based platforms. It's the same reason channels that got bigger earlier are basically impossible to catch up to.

E:

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean "the police will shoot you dead for no reason" is true in nearly every large American city. Chicago isn't significantly worse than say Houston in terms of the two things you list, but it does have less stigma because a smaller portion of its population are black people.

Yeah, conservatives like to use Chicago as a crutch for expanding militaristic police practices despite it not being significantly different than other large cities. Sacramento, for example, has a lot of problems with police action (e.g. Stephon Clark), has failed to make real progress regarding the DA, and yet it only seems to be talked about within the region.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 13, 2019

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
E: Double post

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I never watched CA or any of its iterations. However, that one Pinky and the Brain video they made (with the original voice actors!) that had Brain being verbally abusive to Pinky was unfunny and uncomfortable.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 13, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You get the VAs for Pinky and the Brain and thats what you decide to do with them.

Didn't Doug try to do some spin off show where they toured bars around Chicago?

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Leal posted:

You get the VAs for Pinky and the Brain and thats what you decide to do with them.

Didn't Doug try to do some spin off show where they toured bars around Chicago?

BarFiesta was the brain child of Rob and Mike but mostly Mike.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why do I feel that a show like that would be an excuse to try and get free beer from businesses in exchange for instagram influencer exposure?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheMaestroso posted:

Yeah, conservatives like to use Chicago as a crutch for expanding militaristic police practices despite it not being significantly different than other large cities. Sacramento, for example, has a lot of problems with police action (e.g. Stephon Clark), has failed to make real progress regarding the DA, and yet it only seems to be talked about within the region.

Yeah, Chicago's got a pretty bad rep I don't think it comes by honestly. I can't find the guy's channel now, but he essentially talked about how Cabrini Green is portrayed in 'Candyman' as this blighted urban hellscape when in reality it was much more like 'Good Times' but white people assume 'lower-class black people' equals 'drug den.'

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why do I feel that a show like that would be an excuse to try and get free beer from businesses in exchange for instagram influencer exposure?

Because you have a memory and basic pattern recognition.

...Although there's no way either of those men understand, or possibly even have a profile on, instagram.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I never watched CA or any of its iterations. However, that one Pinky and the Brain video they made (with the original voice actors!) that had Brain being verbally abusive to Pinky was unfunny and uncomfortable.

i said pinky and the brain completely at random lo and behold reality is stupider than ficiton lmfao

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Chicago's got a pretty bad rep I don't think it comes by honestly. I can't find the guy's channel now, but he essentially talked about how Cabrini Green is portrayed in 'Candyman' as this blighted urban hellscape when in reality it was much more like 'Good Times' but white people assume 'lower-class black people' equals 'drug den.'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-lbCzS_9fc

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

AstroWhale posted:

I mean as long as you don't post cringe you won't loose subscribers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/Silvanatorr20/status/1172319182387478534
:cursed: