Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

My ex had a severe peanut allergy, with seizures, epipen, the whole nine yards. And it's true that boomers love saying poo poo like, "Kids didn't have so many allergies when I was young!"

I dunno man, maybe you never met other kids with allergies because they mostly died undiagnosed.

We're also eating food that they never ate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's like "nobody had autism when I was a kid, must be all these vaccines!" when all that's happening is we're getting better at diagnosing people and not just tossing them all in the special ed class and forgetting about them forever

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
And even when you had the rare educated enough parent who acknowledged things like mental health, many would still hang onto their own prejudices. Y'know, the whole:

"Oh no honey, that stuff doesn't happen in THIS family! Those are things that happen to OTHER kids!"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

purple death ray posted:

It's like "nobody had autism when I was a kid, must be all these vaccines!" when all that's happening is we're getting better at diagnosing people and not just tossing them all in the special ed class and forgetting about them forever

With respect to allergies, rates actually are increasing even when you adjust for better diagnoses and improved survival. There're hypotheses out there that it is related to environmental conditions and increased hygiene impacting immune development.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

There Bias Two posted:

With respect to allergies, rates actually are increasing even when you adjust for better diagnoses and improved survival. There're hypotheses out there that it is related to environmental conditions and increased hygiene impacting immune development.

Yeah I was going to say, boomers are actually right about this one

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Rockbear posted:

It's weird how often "food allergies" come up in these stories, and always about a daughter-in-law.
I've seen a lot of stories of problem parents pushing boundaries around food and children- not just allergies but food things in general, like being the first to feed a baby solids or give them their first taste of ice cream, or feeding kids junk food when the parents have said not to do that. It's just another way for them to show that they can't be told what to do. I've tried to find a story I read a while ago about a woman whose father/father-in-law and sister/sister-in-law let her young daughter go swimming without permission. The woman didn't want her kids swimming because it was early in the season and the pool would be too cold, and sure enough, later that night the daughter had such a severe asthma attack from the cold pool that she spent several hours in the emergency room. The sister/SIL had been pretty manipulative in getting the girl into the pool as well (the girl spilled food on herself and the sister/SIL had her change out of the dirty clothes and into a swimsuit, took her down the back stairs so the girl's older brother wouldn't see them and stop them), and it was all extremely weird and inappropriate and both the kids felt weird about lying to their mother.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Gaps so big they’re counted in a Tony Hawk level.

Goddamn, I really appreciate people holding the red flags. I’ve gotten better at reading between the lines when they’re shown like that.
Me too.
Here is something I've wondered for a while: do narcissists and people with narcissistic tendencies repeat themselves a lot? The estranged parents seem to repeat themselves over and over again (the woman who adopted a couple of kids and blamed their "genetics" for their behavior just posted a 1,275-word recap of her life story), and the people I've dealt with in real life who behave this way would repeat themselves a lot. One woman told me the same story about her dog three times in about two weeks, right down to the same wording. Another person would take any opportunity to launch into the story of his health problems.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

trickybiscuits posted:

Here is something I've wondered for a while: do narcissists and people with narcissistic tendencies repeat themselves a lot? The estranged parents seem to repeat themselves over and over again (the woman who adopted a couple of kids and blamed their "genetics" for their behavior just posted a 1,275-word recap of her life story), and the people I've dealt with in real life who behave this way would repeat themselves a lot. One woman told me the same story about her dog three times in about two weeks, right down to the same wording. Another person would take any opportunity to launch into the story of his health problems.

Yup. It's their rehearsed reality. Re-telling the story reaffirms their bullshit and smooths off the edges so it becomes the same tale over and over again.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I was a very picky eater when I was a kid, as someone on the spectrum though that's kind of normal. I'm not a picky eater anymore, because my family made me feel like a freak every chance they got. When I was like 11 a couple of my "cool older" cousins were up late watching Iron Chef. When I asked if I could watch they said "they make things other than chicken nuggets so you wouldn't like it haha" and so I went back to my room to play Playstation.

I stopped eating chicken nuggets then and haven't since, and I still feel uncomfortable when I hear people maiking fun of people who do despite the fact that I don't even eat them anymore.

I guess my point is it's weird how much other people care about what I put in my mouth lol, and it's definitely not just boomers.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yeah I was going to say, boomers are actually right about this one

Yeah, but that still doesn't entitle them to pretend it's all fake and test it until someone gets dragged to the ER with an insincere mea culpa as your only reward for it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Slightly off-topic, but when I was working out I was intolerant to onions, I found this batshit article. I've had it open in a tab for a while, but nowhere to post it.

https://medium.com/@tinyfleu/not-the-onion-why-i-cant-eat-onions-or-drink-milk-737b48a964c7

My grandma has been pretty good about me coming out as unable to eat onions, although I'm not sure she 100% believes it. The woman in this article is just nuts.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

trickybiscuits posted:

Yeah my parents do that. If my stepmother doesn't get the reaction she wants after telling some long, boring story about herself, she will turn to the next person and start telling it again. Doesn't matter if you already heard her. Sometimes she'll just start telling it to the same person again. She's always the hero of the story who managed to figure out something someone else couldn't possibly have done. She's very smart, you see. Or it's her laundry list of made-up problems about her health, because she needs attention 24/7. She has claimed to have various problems including polio, brain damage because a surgeon pulled her out of her mother's womb using metal tools and damaged her skull, and wall-eye vision. Her own parents had no memory of her ever having polio or that brain trauma story. Her oldest daughter has type 1 diabetes. Nobody can mention that without my stepmother going into her own pre-diabetic symptoms in depth. All she has to do is get a little exercise and stop eating Cheez-Its and gummy bears all day. The last time she told me she had no depth perception I offered to drive her over to the DMV. If she doesn't have depth perception, she shouldn't be driving a car, and we should go turn her license in. She stopped making that particular claim, but is still a worthless leech.

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

I distinctly remember some poo poo on Reddit being posted about a grandmother killing her granddaughter with a coconut allergy despite multiple warnings from the parents

This was followed by everyone in her family alienating her

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Truniht posted:

I distinctly remember some poo poo on Reddit being posted about a grandmother killing her granddaughter with a coconut allergy despite multiple warnings from the parents

This was followed by everyone in her family begging the mother to forgive the grandmother

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Truniht posted:

This was followed by everyone in her family alienating her

https://rareddit.com/r/JUSTNOMIL/comments/7qmed5/you_can_come_over_again_when_you_bring_me_my

Behind a spoiler tag:

gently caress your coconut posted:

My mother had put coconut oil in both my daughters' hair when they were playing the previous day before bed. The girls loved it when my mom did their hair and so they had asked for braids and my mom was doing their hair. She put coconut oil in both their hair because it would make for smoother braids. According to my son, OD started to get a little dizzy and itchy when my mom was doing her hair so my mom gave her some kids benadryl which made her sleepy. Since it was close to bedtime anyways, the kids then went to bed. Giving her benadryl was something we did whenever she had a mild reaction since it usually meant she accidentally came across some coconut from a secondary source. We also showered her from head to toe immediately to erase any lingering traces of it. My mother simply gave her some benadryl and kept the coconut oil in her hair and put her to loving sleep. The benadryl made her sleepy and unable to wake up or be conscious enough to wake up her brother or cry. She vomited in her sleep and the rash spread all over. Her little body was swollen to twice the size. She had asphyxiated in her sleepc. She died painfully and slowly in the early hours of the morning.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Nettle Soup posted:

Slightly off-topic, but when I was working out I was intolerant to onions, I found this batshit article. I've had it open in a tab for a while, but nowhere to post it.

https://medium.com/@tinyfleu/not-the-onion-why-i-cant-eat-onions-or-drink-milk-737b48a964c7

My grandma has been pretty good about me coming out as unable to eat onions, although I'm not sure she 100% believes it. The woman in this article is just nuts.

Huh. I guess this puts the worst person in history debate to rest once and for all.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Jesus loving Christ

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

That is the most annoying "LOOK AT ME AREN'T I SPECIAL" way of saying "I got food poisoning one time and my dumb brain latched onto one particular food. Now it freaks out and goes all "POISON" if I even think of eating it." Which happens. I couldn't eat KFC for like a year because my dumb brain latched onto that since I ate it about an hour before I got sick (from something else).

But, drat, girl.

Rockbear
Sep 11, 2001

Milady, 'tis the clobbering hour.

:stonk:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I want the estranged parents forum version of the coconut allergy death story.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Their daughter got sick and died, and they blamed me for it even though I had nothing to do with it"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Jabor posted:

"Their daughter got sick and died, which made ME very sad. and they blamed me for it even though I had nothing to do with it which makes ME sadder. Please internet, tell me how great a grandma I was"

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, my dad has a severe fish allergy that at least some family members thought he was using as an excuse to not eat gefilte fish.

Edit: I actually like my dad's side of the family but yeah...

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 13, 2019

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I want the estranged parents forum version of the coconut allergy death story.
"I made a terrible mistake which I cannot take back, and my daughter refuses to forgive me or even talk about it. I've apologized for everything I can and even for things I haven't done. Her anger has torn the family apart."

quote:

I recently heard a grown woman share her story of estrangement from her father. Her story didn’t make much sense to me and frankly she seemed like a pain in the neck including the way that she treated her staff – which was horrible. A month later she shared that her father had died and that she experienced an uncontrollable crying session with incredible grief that she said she just didn’t understand. She didn’t know about my situation with my three children being estranged and I listened with interest. My takeaway – she has a true mental disorder. Frankly I can’t stand her and I had zero empathy for her upset. It was all brought on by her own hateful actions.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 13, 2019

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mother's in law almost getting their children or grandchildren killed because they don't believe in allergies seems to be a disturbingly common thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JUSTNOMIL/search?q=allergy&restrict_sr=on

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This poo poo hits home real hard.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Look the world isn't fair and if you want something you have to be willing to work for it instead of sitting on your computer feeling sorry for yourself. Nobody's going to give you anything for free, you have to want it. I would suggest going over there with some nice clothes and a well written resumé, giving them a firm and decisive handshake and present your demands in a calm and respectful manner while maintaining eye contact. If that doesn't work, you're just not trying hard enough.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nastyman posted:

Look the world isn't fair and if you want something you have to be willing to work for it instead of sitting on your computer feeling sorry for yourself. Nobody's going to give you anything for free, you have to want it. I would suggest going over there with some nice clothes and a well written resumé, giving them a firm and decisive handshake and present your demands in a calm and respectful manner while maintaining eye contact. If that doesn't work, you're just not trying hard enough.

This sort of argument is really interesting in that it's so common and yet it contradicts itself. If the world isn't fair, it can't also be a meritocracy, because then that would be fair.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
That's the great delusion. "The world isn't fair, yet I earned this, so why can't you?"

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Clitch posted:

It...kinda does.

I'm not religious at all, but this website has great rebuttals to any of you with religious parents who try to use the Bible as justification for their abuse and guilt trips

http://www.luke173ministries.org/

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

quote:

Every year for 7 years we spend our holiday with my bff. She knows and her family knows my story. Having 2 ED’s and no family. Last year her father-in-law wouldn’t stop with questions about ED’s. So I finished my dinner and started to mingle with other people. This year she gave me every excuse in the book why we are not invited. She said she got stressed because her fil was bugging me and she doesn’t want that. I told her o could care less. She also told me she never wants us to be alone on a holiday and if she did all the holidays we would always be there. So now we are alone again. I never mentioned that I felt badly. We were uninvited. Later that evening I expressed how I felt that I was sad. I feel there are other things going on. She always was there for me. Feeling sad. How would yu feel?

quote:

On my previous post I wrote about my best friend not calling me
for 6 weeks and not being invited for the holiday, well I got the scope on Saturday when she finally called. She told me she can’t have us anymore because she gets too stressed out and has terrible anxiety. This is a friend we have been spending 7 years with. I told her I feel badly because this is the only holiday we ever spent with a family. She knows I have 2 ED’s and no family. I told her I feel badly but I understand. She turns around and said by saying I feel bad made her have more anxiety and a TRUE friend would never say anything. So because I mentioned I’ll miss everyone she thinks I’m not a true friend. That hurt me deeply and I was in tears all day yesterday since Saturday.
She turned on me. I’m so hurt. Ruby66

I'm guessing this lady ruined the holidays by bellyaching about her estranged children for sympathy and attention and friend's FIL saw right through her bullshit hence the "questioning". Her friend at last sees her for the manipulative hag she is, especially when she tries to guilt trip her about not being invited back.

But she just can't see where she did anything wrong! I only told her I was sad!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Ebola Roulette posted:

I'm guessing this lady ruined the holidays by bellyaching about her estranged children for sympathy and attention and friend's FIL saw right through her bullshit hence the "questioning". Her friend at last sees her for the manipulative hag she is, especially when she tries to guilt trip her about not being invited back.

But she just can't see where she did anything wrong! I only told her I was sad!
Is this the woman who needed two separate threads to share the story, both of them made on Sunday?

quote:

Thanks for all the great words and replies to my post. I wanted to address the question on my ES’s rude behavior. Where do I start would be the question so I’ll do a quick summary. Right after my new wife and I were dating he would come by the house (we live with my parents) and he shows up unannounced to us to visit his grandparents. Does not call me, does not even tell me he is there (we live downstairs and have no clue if someone comes to visit). He will come and go without a word to me. The first time we sat down to have dinner with everyone I thought all was ok but afterwards my wife was so upset she said she would never visit with him again due to the most hateful looks he was giving her. I thought maybe she was misreading him until my mother recently told me she could see it when he looks at her. So there is an issue with him not liking her…..who knows. I knew something was up one day when he visited. My wife and I were working on my boat and he walks by with just….hey and a look of hate. I was puzzled because before this event if he had seen me working on my boat he would have stopped and asked if he could help. Now my wife does not want to even be in the same room as him and I don’t blame her. That is why we have no desire to sit down with him when he visits. Then there is his girlfriend. She is the rudest person and gives both my wife and I these looks that almost makes my wife want to smack her into next week.

He has NEVER acted like this in his life and I did not raise this young man to act like this. I’m absolutely certain his mother is behind his attitude and I’m sure since the divorce all she has done is bad mouth me. I say that because the very first time my wife met my children she said it screamed to her that they had sided with their mother. Prior to that meeting I had never gone into detail about their attitudes with me.

Now that I’m remarried I’m sure his mother has really turned up her running me into the ground. His mother cheated on me and left me for another man that does live with her and he moved in very shortly after the divorce so I don’t get the anger of me getting remarried 7 years after the divorce.

Is he safe to be left with my parents…..I believe so, he has never had anger issues and I do feel safe leaving him there. With him showing disrespect to me and my wife we have no desire to sit and watch his dirty looks being given to us.

I look forward to seeing more people chime in on this because I know I’m not the only one dealing with issues such as this. I will not have access to a computer over the weekend and will check back on the board Monday.

"My son (age not given) has stopped talking to me since I got married. What should I do?"
"Anything but sit down with him and ask how he feels about the situation!"

Edit: The son is 24, it just wasn't in that specific post. The stupidity of not talking with him is still there though.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 14, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This is like the first act of an Ari aster movie, what the gently caress. I'm actually struggling to accept a real person would do this

Malah
May 18, 2015

teen witch posted:

might put this in the OP if it isn’t fuzzy on desktop

Could someone substitute Bobbie's av and star here with her permabanned one? Thanks!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Malah posted:

Could someone substitute Bobbie's av and star here with her permabanned one? Thanks!

I’m fully ok with this - I’m sadly sans editing app atm but if anyone wants to adjust it, I’ll fix it when I’m sober

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

teen witch posted:

I’m fully ok with this - I’m sadly sans editing app atm but if anyone wants to adjust it, I’ll fix it when I’m sober

here I did a lovely job

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The true closure was the abusers we enabled along the way

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

trickybiscuits posted:

"My son (age not given) has stopped talking to me since I got married. What should I do?"
"Anything but sit down with him and ask how he feels about the situation!"

"Look, he was clearly giving us hateful looks as he said 'hey.' This is objective proof of his becoming a monster."

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Huntersoninski posted:

here I did a lovely job

Tbf, so did she

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kubinyi
Sep 9, 2012
I'm fascinated by this topic even though it's not something I've gone through in my life. Thanks to everyone who's been posting. After reading about so many of these situations, I was a little appalled to see every red flag this thread has taught me to look for in a person writing to Carolyn Hax this morning:

"How dare my adult son and his wife ask me to stay at a hotel while visiting? Let me provide you with an itemized list of why this is offensive to me."