Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

they're all good boys :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The prince is extremely sexy

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
im glad that toi reunited with his two boyfriends

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
When the opening started playing at the end I laugh-cried. I'm gonna tell myself this is normal.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RottenK posted:

im glad that toi reunited with his two boyfriends

:yeah:

One of the better anime of the season next to my usual shonen series.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

All the big symbolism wrapup stuff had me just kind of staring at everything like One Punch Man going "ok". But then the ED with Toi really brought everything back down to earth and got me good.

This was such a good series :3:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

That was a much more optimistic ending than I was expecting, and I'm ok with that.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Holy hell, this final episode. That might be the best Ikuhara finale since Utena, and I am saying this as someone that liked Penguindrum's bittersweet ending.

Also, LMAO at "I am an abstract concept". Thanks Otter, wouldn't have figured that one out in a million years.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 21, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I know Toi was selling weed, and killed some people, but it felt like him going to juvie came out of nowhere. I guess he was caught at some point, and arrested? Presumably not for murder, because that would have been way more than 3 years.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't know what the law is like in Japan. I'm supposing that he decided to come clean to the police about what happened, and got a lenient sentence due to extenuating circumstances - that he was acting in self defence, that the victims were gang members intent on doing harm to him and his brother, that he was a child in a stressful situation, that he was acting like that due to the influence of a corrupting adult and probably expressed remorse.

EDIT: clearly we need to convince LegalEagle to watch the show and determine whether Toi got a reasonable sentence.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 21, 2019

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

I love that Toi went to juvie It slammed everything back down to reality in a way that gave no shits but also didn't have any dead kids.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gibbering posted:

I love that Toi went to juvie It slammed everything back down to reality in a way that gave no shits but also didn't have any dead kids.

It was hosed up seeing real people instead of bathroom sign people.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hello check out this Sarazanmai AMV

https://youtu.be/c1tzr0n_Usk

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I feel like sarazanmai is a dangerous watch being gay with a heart condition.....

loving drat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anime over. It was just kind of okay, didn’t blow my mind or anything.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Kind of mad Kazuki stopped crossdressing after he made up with his brother but otherwise it was pretty good.

7/10 butt orbs. Pretty gay but could have been gayer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
At the end of the series the boys are now a gay throuple who can still turn into kappa. :colbert:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
i was going to say it's kinda hosed up that nobody's inviting Harukappa to become a cute little magical turtle frog with them, but then I remembered the transformation process :stonk:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Also, LMAO at "I am an abstract concept". Thanks Otter, wouldn't have figured that one out in a million years.

I lost my poo poo at that line, too. That's some next-level lampshading.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I watched a bit of the dub just to see how they handled things...kawausoiya has been changed to "otterly sexy" and I felt like I was going to have a stroke

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx-A67J8RTo

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Well, the effect is lessened when they add "soiya" to the end, but I'm still cringing while wanting to hum along, so that's close enough.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
Took me forever to get to see the final episode, I just caught up on the thread as I was scared of anything remotely in the neighborhood of spoilers so bowed out reading here around the 3rd episode. So just wanted to throw in a few comments, aside from the fact that I loved this show.

Equeen posted:

New avatar, new me

The poledance was the best background bit.

The_Doctor posted:

So is this just one season, or will there be more? Because there’s a lot still going on.

Well the three mean girls from Utena didn't do a cameo so far as I noticed at least so I'm holding out hope this means there will be another season!

MissAnthropic posted:

Whoa, hey there! Last place I expected to find this before it was even finished! This is an article from Musashino University's scholarly publication, I found it and scanned it, got it translated (thank you so much Youzicha), and have the completed thing up on my website with the article images (couple boobs) and with all the obscure (and less obscure) references linked to resources for!
Disturbing, Traversing, Borderless, Shaking Sexuality: The Place where Revolutionary Girl Utena was Born

Your website is awesome.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Holy hell, this final episode. That might be the best Ikuhara finale since Utena, and I am saying this as someone that liked Penguindrum's bittersweet ending.

I thought so too, I love penguindrum dearly but Ikuhara really landed the ending so well on this. Let me add my love to the Abstract concept line too.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.
https://twitter.com/abbysayswords/status/1171968783264690178?s=19

...welp, a friend of ours found this out today. I dunno if anyone is interested but the Utena musicals have been amazing so I've got high hopes for a buttastic stage show.

Sooper Gila posted:

Your website is awesome.
drat, didn't see this-- on behalf of my wife, thanks! We keep on finding new stuff even now, like the aforementioned musicals.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

What the what?!

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
The guy who played Saionji in the first Utena musical is playing Chikai and none of us know how to handle this knowledge because he's a total goober.

https://twitter.com/ohtori_nu/status/1172043871276036096?s=19

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

OMG this is gonna be GLORIOUS.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So is this for a live action remake where they actually climb into giant butts?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I just have so many questions.

Are there going to be warhorse style zombie puppets for the kappa boys to climb into the butts of?

How are they going to show the kappa form, is this going to be some kind of horror costume?

Will they go to the effort of putting Kazuki's actor into a beautiful Sara outfit with makeup?

Are the otter cops going to tear off their shirts onstage?

I am excited.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Just how gay is it going to be?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It's a musical stage show so it's already starting at 70%

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

They'll put forward a proposal to have the actors have sex on stage, assuming this time, surely someone will stop them.

no one will stop them

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

The new Utena musicals have been GAY AS HELL so I can't see them backing down on that.

Here's Megan's thread on the information we have so far:

https://twitter.com/AnimeSocMegan/status/1172025439147220992?s=19

Aaaaaaand Megan's basically doing for Sarazanmai what Vanna and I do for Utena, so check out their site for pretty much all the Sarazanmai info the english-speaking fanbase has access to. They're also going to be guesting on the Kappa Connection podcast as soon as we can work out a recording date. Hopefully we have more musical info to talk about by then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Can you hang dong if it's a legitimate stage play about otters and butts?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopefully someone films it somehow.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Hopefully someone films it somehow.

If they do it the way they did Utena-- which is likely but not guaranteed-- they'll stream the last performance or two online, which means if you have a vpn and an account at the streamer you'll be able to watch live and maybe also VOD. For the last Utena musical it was a Rakuten account and you need an address in Japan to get one of those (there's a service called Blackship that does this).

Vanna has already offered her help in getting a subtitle out into the community tho, just in case someone happens to grab the stream (if it happens). If for some reason a stream never happens, we will at the very least have a friend in the audience who can describe it. She's agreed to go in completely blind, I'm looking forward to her take.

If you want to know about the process of getting access to the (probable) stream, we've done this before and we can answer questions. Either way, we're at least going to get a full report on it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Japan is very odd with their ‘putting on a stage show of a thing that has no business being on stage’ thing. My bf is currently playing Persona 5, and last night I found out there’s going to be a stage play of that in December. Which is pretty :psyduck: honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNVFEgIUKF4

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
you could do a stage play of neon genesis evangelion complete with giant robot battles and it still wouldn't be as strange to me as Lion King On Ice

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Ticket information, for anyone interested!

https://twitter.com/butaisarazanmai/status/1177181092295503872?s=19

If anyone wants information on the process of getting a ticket, Vanna and I can probably help out. It's not our first rodeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The_Doctor posted:

Japan is very odd with their ‘putting on a stage show of a thing that has no business being on stage’ thing. My bf is currently playing Persona 5, and last night I found out there’s going to be a stage play of that in December. Which is pretty :psyduck: honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNVFEgIUKF4
All these things happen in Tokyo, right? Well they have a huge audience for whom it's a day trip, an even larger audience (almost all of Japan) for whom it's a weekend trip at worst, and there are some hardcore maniacs who fly in from overseas. I doubt they're making mad cash but I expect they turn a profit, especially if they mostly make stage plays for "proven" properties like Persona games.