Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

FilthyImp posted:

By Kevin Smith's account, Willis harbors no illusions about the kind of films he works on.

And unlike Cage, who will genuinely give a performance, seems that Bruce just checks out if it's a cashgrab.

Meanwhile if you work minimum wage at a retail job you have to give 110% effort every single shift and make sure that all of your valued guests know how much you're thrilled to have the chance to serve them today lol gently caress any actor who will do that when they're making more for that job then some kid at McDonald's makes in 3 years and that kid at McDonald's has to put on acting every single time they go to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

FilthyImp posted:

By Kevin Smith's account, Willis harbors no illusions about the kind of films he works on.

And unlike Cage, who will genuinely give a performance, seems that Bruce just checks out if it's a cashgrab.

I was a bit disappointed to learn that he was something of a dick: not only does he stay blazed in his trailer, he just outright refuses to do any dialogue he doesn't like.

He's no Raul Julia

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FilthyImp posted:

Didn't those two also hate working together?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Len posted:

Didn't those two also hate working together?

Yes, but I imagine a lead taking your shooting script and going "nope, nope, oh hell no... yeah ok let's do page 5 to start" would get on any director's nerve.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Krispy Wafer posted:

To be fair it was a Matthew Perry movie that just happened to have Bruce Willis in it. If I was Bruce, I’d have bet against it too.

I don’t know, this terribly photoshopped poster makes it look like a Bruce Willis movie to me.

(Yes, I recall that Perry plays the main character in the film, but somehow I’m guessing Willis’ presence was the key to the movie’s success)

Blue Moonlight has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Sep 14, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

I don’t know, this terribly photoshopped poster makes it look like a Bruce Willis movie to me.

(Yes, I recall that Perry plays the main character in the film, but somehow I’m guessing Willis’ presence was the key to the movie’s success)

But Bruce Willis sometimes makes a good movie. I’m struggling to think of a single good Matthew Perry film.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The pneumonic device for remembering all the steps of a pre-dive safety check is Bruce Willis Ruins All Films (also a true statement).

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Krispy Wafer posted:

But Bruce Willis sometimes makes a good movie. I’m struggling to think of a single good Matthew Perry film.

According to IMDB, he's been in 11 movies, whereas Willis has been in 100+ so it could just be a numbers game.

E: Perry also spent the majority of his working life as a barely-functioning addict, so that was something of a handicap.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

IIRC that was one of the reasons Moonlighting went down the toilet in later seasons. Once Willis hit it big with Die Hard, he immediately thought "I am a serious movie star now. This show is beneath me" and the relationship between him and Cybil Shepard got even worse.

FilthyImp posted:

Yes, but I imagine a lead taking your shooting script and going "nope, nope, oh hell no... yeah ok let's do page 5 to start" would get on any director's nerve.

From what I can tell they pretty much made each other miserable. Smith accused Willis of being an rear end in a top hat diva while Willis accused Smith of being a lazy stoner. Both those statements are most likely true.

My favorite story from the making of Cop Out is that at one point Willis yelled at Smith "I'm Bruce Willis! I've been Bruce Willis successfully for 25 years! How long have you been Silent Bob, motherfucker?"

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Sep 14, 2019

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I really need an oral history of Cop Out because the one two punch of Smith+Willis+Morgan sounds like there were a lot of bts shenanigans

I mean it's really telling when the most professional person on set is Tracy Morgan 😂

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shut up Meg posted:

I was a bit disappointed to learn that he was something of a dick: not only does he stay blazed in his trailer, he just outright refuses to do any dialogue he doesn't like.

He's no Raul Julia

I’m pretty sure Raúl Juliá was able to make anything watchable.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m pretty sure Raúl Juliá was able to make anything watchable.

Raúl Juliá chews the scenery and asks for seconds.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here's a sort of practice that, I dunno if it's something that didn't age well, or just can't be done anymore. When old TV shows cast the same actor for different roles. I've been watching In The Heat Of the Night on Amazon. A show that's aged really well, actually. It's even got a 16:9 aspect ratio, for a show from 1989!

But yeah, they reuse actors sometimes. There was an episode one season where Walton Goggins played a high schooler who went blind and crashed a car after drinking tainted moonshine. I'm a few seasons later and Goggins is back, as a totally different character, some kind of reclusive redneck shooter. (I'm still watching the episode.) It's one of those things that people watching it when it was new wouldn't have known, especially with a then unknown actor. But it's decades later and it sticks out when you stream shows.

I'm not complaining about seeing Walton Goggins. He's great in everything.

Detective No. 27 has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Sep 14, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Detective No. 27 posted:

Here's a sort of practice that, I dunno if it's something that didn't age well, or just can't be done anymore. When old TV shows cast the same actor for different roles. I've been watching In The Heat Of the Night on Amazon. A show that's aged really well, actually. It's even got a 16:9 aspect ratio, for a show from 1989!

But yeah, they reuse actors sometimes. There was an episode one season where Walton Goggins played a high schooler who went blind and crashed a car after drinking tainted moonshine. I'm a few seasons later and Goggins is back, as a totally different character, some kind of reclusive redneck shooter. (I'm still watching the episode.) It's one of those things that people watching it when it was new wouldn't have known, especially with a then unknown actor. But it's decades later and it sticks out when you stream shows.

You would also have been seeing that episode years after the last, making the actor easier to forget.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Friday Night Lights had one opposing coach from season 1 come back as a different opposing coach for a two episode arc in season 2, and even then his name was spelled differently in each episode.

The guy in Deadwood who kills Wild Bill Hickok comes back in season 2 with a beard and an entirely different role. Weird for an HBO show!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Icon Of Sin posted:

The pneumonic device for remembering all the steps of a pre-dive safety check is Bruce Willis Ruins All Films (also a true statement).

Hmm. 12 Monkeys, Sixth Sense, Die Hard, Unbreakable, and Pulp Fiction are all movies in which he gives a credible performance capable of eliciting a genuine emotional response from an audience. I will nominate The 5th Element as well, even though I personally dislike it. Although in your favour, 6 movies out of 120-odd is not a ringing endorsement of his notional talents.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Icon Of Sin posted:

mnemonic device relates to memory

SCUBA gear would be pneumatic devices

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Doctor Who does this. Freema Agyeman played a bit part in one episode and was recast in a lead role a season later. Peter Capaldi was a supporting character in a three-episode arc for a spinoff series, then came back as the Doctor himself. There are other examples too that don’t spring immediately to mind.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

Doctor Who does this. Freema Agyeman played a bit part in one episode and was recast in a lead role a season later. Peter Capaldi was a supporting character in a three-episode arc for a spinoff series, then came back as the Doctor himself. There are other examples too that don’t spring immediately to mind.

Colin Baker played a random bad guy who tried to kill the Doctor a few episodes before he became The Doctor himself.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

And whenever that happens on DW they usually throw some nonsensical lampshading. Don't think they did that with Freema Agyeman but with Eve Myles (who played both a bit character in the first reboot series then lead character Gwen Cooper in the Torchwood spinoff) they added some technobabble about "temporal multiplicity" when the latter and the Doctor met and in the case of Capaldi, he claims he chose the face of someone he saved to remind himself that he saves people for some reason (which was NOT the aforementioned character in the spinoff series, meaning there are at least THREE people who look like Peter Capaldi in the Doctor Who universe)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

AceOfFlames posted:

And whenever that happens on DW they usually throw some nonsensical lampshading. Don't think they did that with Freema Agyeman but with Eve Myles (who played both a bit character in the first reboot series then lead character Gwen Cooper in the Torchwood spinoff) they added some technobabble about "temporal multiplicity" when the latter and the Doctor met and in the case of Capaldi, he claims he chose the face of someone he saved to remind himself that he saves people for some reason (which was NOT the aforementioned character in the spinoff series, meaning there are at least THREE people who look like Peter Capaldi in the Doctor Who universe)

Didn’t Martha say she had a cousin who worked in the tower that got taken over by Cybermen, or something like that?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Karen Gillan had a bit part in an episode early on and then was cast as the main companion. Same episode as Capaldi (Pompeii one, S4)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

The guy in Deadwood who kills Wild Bill Hickok comes back in season 2 with a beard and an entirely different role. Weird for an HBO show!

He was also in the movie as a different character!

The Irish guy that gets killed in the first episode is also the guy that owns the hotel that Joanie almost shot herself in. I think there was one more person that played a couple of characters as well.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

Didn’t Martha say she had a cousin who worked in the tower that got taken over by Cybermen, or something like that?

Oh right. Yeah, I think that was it.

I think my favorite dumb Who retcon was when they finally explained why Toshiko was introduced in Doctor Who doing an alien autopsy only for Torchwood to establish her as a COMPUTER genius. Owen (the team's actual doctor) was hungover and sent her to "cover for him". So stupid it's hilarious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

I really need an oral history of Cop Out because the one two punch of Smith+Willis+Morgan sounds like there were a lot of bts shenanigans

I mean it's really telling when the most professional person on set is Tracy Morgan 😂
BTS are actually Korean and none of those actors are part of the band.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

BTS are actually Korean and none of those actors are part of the band.

Imagine if they were tho

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

AceOfFlames posted:

IIRC that was one of the reasons Moonlighting went down the toilet in later seasons. Once Willis hit it big with Die Hard, he immediately thought "I am a serious movie star now. This show is beneath me" and the relationship between him and Cybil Shepard got even worse.

It didn't help with the producers insisting on Dave and Maddie loving, either.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Colombo arrested the same actor for murder on more than one occasion.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There’s an actor that’s been at least three different rapists in Law and Order SVU.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Imagine being typecast as a rapist.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Imagine Thanksgiving when your mom tells everyone how proud she is of her son the pretend rapist everyone's talking about.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Who in the gently caress nowadays sees a Bruce Willis trailer and actually gets excited?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Me. I do.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Push El Burrito posted:

Imagine being typecast as a rapist.

Film producers make good money, at least...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

William Atherton was definitely the culprit in more than episode of Murder She Wrote.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

William Atherton was definitely the culprit in more than episode of Murder She Wrote.

I’m pretty sure that Angela Lansbury played the culprit in all the episodes of Murder She Wrote.
Wherever that lady went, people died.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Krispy Wafer posted:

Imagine Thanksgiving when your mom tells everyone how proud she is of her son the pretend rapist everyone's talking about.

Better than a mom proud of the real rapist everyone is talking about.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

oldpainless posted:

Who in the gently caress nowadays sees a Bruce Willis trailer and actually gets excited?

His accountant.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TheKennedys posted:

Karen Gillan had a bit part in an episode early on and then was cast as the main companion. Same episode as Capaldi (Pompeii one, S4)

They also throw a hat on it with Capaldi in his first two episodes ranting about why did he choose this face he saw only once, he must be trying to tell himself something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pretty sure MASH did that.
The guy who played Col. Potter was in a much earlier episode as some senile major/general.