Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Now that I’m looking at it, this all might be fun to put in a modern mono red deck with things like Boros Reckoner and Spitemare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's just the unplayable, absurdly high-CMC red spell of the set, there's one every time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

At least it's not an enchantment.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Silhouette posted:

It's just the unplayable, absurdly high-CMC red spell of the set, there's one every time.

A couple decks played Brass's Bounty, right?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AlternateNu posted:

A couple decks played Brass's Bounty, right?

like literally two decks in the history of magic? maybe that many, maybe less

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Silhouette posted:

this plus irencrag feat is a two-card, four-mana “gently caress up your opponent’s entire day.” I wonder if Big Red with Irencrag, Ilharg, Drakuseth etc. might be a fun tier 2 archetype.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Silhouette posted:

I have a certain fondness to the obligatory red rate every set that’s something like “Flip 3 coins, if two come up heads, you win. Any other result, you lose”

It’s always red and it’s always ungodly unplayable

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I love that it's unplayable because I'm going to run it with Feather in one of my jank runs at the lgs.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

It’s not even good to icencrag out. I’d much rather rush out something proactive that’ll win me the game if I’m putting that in my deck.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Honestly the 3/2/2 split (or 5/1/1, or 3/3/1, etc) means the 'bad' mode is still a really good limited card, so I'm happy with it.

I do kind of wish the Adamant mode was even more insane. I don't think it would be format-breaking even if it was something ludicrous like 7 damage to up to 7 targets. Sure, it's a 6 for 1 that deals 7 to their face at that point, but RRRRRRR is still a mana cost.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

InterrupterJones posted:

Now that I’m looking at it, this all might be fun to put in a modern mono red deck with things like Boros Reckoner and Spitemare.

Why?

Oh, wait. I get It.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 14, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

is it just me or is there something hosed with the perspective in the art for this? like the green dino's head is entirely under the arc of the swing yet somehow got cut off at about the same time as the flying dino's above it?

the longer i look at it the less anything makes sense

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 14, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's like an escher painting. The visual cues of the arc tell you that the flying dino is in front of the one on the ground, but where they actually overlap the one on the ground is drawn in front.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mike N Eich posted:

I still can’t believe Arboreal Grazer, which was seen as maybe the worst or among the worst cards in its set, is an integral part of several tier 1 decks

Magic rules

It lets you drop Teferi, Time Raveler on turn 2 and protects him from criminals far better than Llanowar Elves can protect a planeswalker. It's a worker of a 1 drop.

Meanwhile, Bell-Haunt is outperforming Seraph of the Scales, another Orzhov 4-drop that reads far, far stronger.

But one of them blocks Goblin Chainwhirler and wins.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1172890604541534210

A neat little clockwork gnome.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

An artifact creature body that sandbags aggro a little and cantrips seems constructed playable in the Monoblue Artifacts shell that's been trying to break into the limelight for a while.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Is gnome a new creature type?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tibalt posted:

nope, there's been gnomes for a while https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type%3Agnome

mostly lil artifact duders, though there was a fleshy gnome back in antiquities

I just realized they're probably a riff on garden gnomes uh.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
do you think gnomes are extinct and all that remains are those artifacts in their approximate likelyhood?

What the hell killed the gnomes

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tibalt posted:

gno

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kurtofan posted:

do you think gnomes are extinct and all that remains are those artifacts in their approximate likelyhood?

What the hell killed the gnomes

Lawnmowers

Edit: Sorry, Urza's Lawnmower

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

YggdrasilTM posted:

Why?

Oh, wait. I get It.

I don't. Do some damage to them, direct the same amount to a target you could have hit in the first place? You're not giving it deathtouch or lifelink in monored.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Lawnmowers

Edit: Sorry, Urza's Lawnmower

another war crime

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't. Do some damage to them, direct the same amount to a target you could have hit in the first place? You're not giving it deathtouch or lifelink in monored.
Creature or planeswalker.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

BizarroAzrael posted:

It deals 7 to three different targets, so you could choose your opponent plus two Reckoners and deal the full 21 to their face.

If you're in Tinseltown, though, you might as well just cast Star of Extinction for the same mana and hit them for 40.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
this was much funnier than it has any right to be.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
from a local facebook group:

Wonder how such a thing just sticks around, unopened for ~22 years.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrBling posted:

Hoarder brokebrains is a thing.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

MrBling posted:

from a local facebook group:

1600 euro seems like a stretch. Tempest is a cool set but you’ll never open close to that much money from it

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I got a cold and couldn't go to FNM so I spent the evening scanning Sideboard #2 after I was reminded that Sideboard actually existed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

xarph posted:

I got a cold and couldn't go to FNM so I spent the evening scanning Sideboard #2 after I was reminded that Sideboard actually existed.

Dude I love you but I really need that Duelist scan with the OG trade sharking article like you would not believe.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
lots of times lgs's have unsold inventory that just sits around until the lgs goes under - my store just recently bought a whole bunch of sealed invasion/odyssey product (boosters / starter decks / precons etc) from a recently closed store, it happens all the time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

tinaun posted:

lots of times lgs's have unsold inventory that just sits around until the lgs goes under - my store just recently bought a whole bunch of sealed invasion/odyssey product (boosters / starter decks / precons etc) from a recently closed store, it happens all the time.

If only there were some way for them to exchange all that product for money, they might not have gone under! But, alas...

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

tinaun posted:

Do you all's LGS not have Alpha/Beta/unlimited sealed product in inventory???

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Man reflector and meddling mage are brutal to deal with

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Toshimo posted:

If only there were some way for them to exchange all that product for money, they might not have gone under! But, alas...

dude you can't sell now, the prices will just go up uP UP!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Am I the only one who occasionally goes to flea markets and garage sales with the fantasy of a "yard sale find" of some old shoebox with some beat up OG duals interspersed among the wood elementals and living walls, or a sealed box of some old set?

Probably increasingly vanishingly unlikely as that stuff gets consolidated into big time collections and cultural osmosis has made people aware that Magic Cards can be worth a mint, with a rough valuation only a google search for a given card name away.

Still fun to dream.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

1600 euro seems like a stretch. Tempest is a cool set but you’ll never open close to that much money from it

Old sealed product always sells for more than its EV.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

Old sealed product always sells for more than its EV.

granted, but usually it’s more ballpark than this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Toshimo posted:

Dude I love you but I really need that Duelist scan with the OG trade sharking article like you would not believe.

Do you know which one it was? I'll put it on my watchlist.