Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Why are people talking about their rank? This is the Standard 2020 event, its unranked. I don't think your ranked status matters for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A Moose posted:

Why are people talking about their rank? This is the Standard 2020 event, its unranked. I don't think your ranked status matters for this

You can play it ranked too.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I've decided I do not like this Yarok deck. I don't know if I'm just mispiloting, but I've been mulliganing hard for Reefs and if you don't get one that deck eats poo poo against everything, from RDW to jank. Maybe my list just sucks?

4 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
3 Swamp (ANA) 58
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
4 Swamp (ANA) 63
2 Dread Presence (M20) 96
1 Swamp (WAR) 257
2 Neoform (WAR) 206
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Cloudkin Seer (M20) 54
2 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94
2 Yarok, the Desecrated (M20) 220
3 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
1 Golgari Findbroker (GRN) 175
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
1 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167
3 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
3 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
2 Forest (ANA) 65
2 Hostage Taker (XLN) 223

The list I posted was a definitive Dread Presence deck and you’re only running 2 and some Hostage Takers. You also don’t need the Risen reef in your opening hand you just need any form of acceleration. The deck has multiple engines working inside of it, Reef is one, Dread is one, Neoform gets you to both of them. Risen Reef is very good but Dread Presence is definitely the card that is winning 75-85% of the games I’m playing with it.

To clarify the ultimate goal of the deck every game should be to get a Risen Reef, a Yarok, and a Dread Presence in play at the same time because of that point basically any land or creature you cast has the potential to deal 6 to 8 damage to your opponent getting you that much life while absolutely barfing lands into play and filling your hand.

Even just playing a swamp with 2 DP in play feels extremely powerful, eating planeswalkers or cleaning up the board of creatures or even just refilling your hand

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 14, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Bust Rodd posted:

The list I posted was a definitive Dread Presence deck and you’re only running 2 and some Hostage Takers. You also don’t need the Risen reef in your opening hand you just need any form of acceleration. The deck has multiple engines working inside of it, Reef is one, Dread is one, Neoform gets you to both of them. Risen Reef is very good but Dread Presence is definitely the card that is winning 75-85% of the games I’m playing with it.

It sounds like I have been misplaying, then. I seem to have had Dread Presences but was using them for damage instead of card draw. I should be using neoforms on leafkins and reefs? Should I be running more?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Sinteres posted:

You can play it ranked too.

why would you do that? Isn't the idea of a ranking system to give you better opponents? You want to grind out as many 2-win streaks as possible

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Man this just isn't my loving night. The last few nights I've felt like I can't lose, tonight I can't loving win!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Moose posted:

why would you do that? Isn't the idea of a ranking system to give you better opponents? You want to grind out as many 2-win streaks as possible

Are you saying it's hard to streak in Gold

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It sounds like I have been misplaying, then. I seem to have had Dread Presences but was using them for damage instead of card draw. I should be using neoforms on leafkins and reefs? Should I be running more?

https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/d01xan/standard_elemental_swamp/

I sincerely recommend just reading the OP's first post, he walks through the entire deck and his choices and common lines of play, i wouldve never put together how to pilot the deck correctly without this guidance. Specifically when and how to maximize Neoform

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm going to miss Merfolk.dec after rotation. I don't think it's good enough for Historic. :smith:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

A Moose posted:

If you haven't been playing ranked very much, and your rank is low, then you'll find it relatively easy to get 2-win streaks against lower-ranked opposition.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Arivia posted:

I'm going to miss Merfolk.dec after rotation. I don't think it's good enough for Historic. :smith:

Historic won’t be a hyper powered format out of the gates, it’s gonna be all the Ixalan tribes vs Esper Hero for like the first couple months.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Arivia posted:

well it wasn't good enough for standard so things aren't gonna get better with the addition of more cards

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jabor posted:

If you haven't been playing ranked very much, and your rank is low, then you'll find it relatively easy to get 2-win streaks against lower-ranked opposition.

Yeah, this. In my experience bronze and silver are probably easier than the unranked queue, and while I haven't been in gold very long, it's probably either easier or at worst about the same too. There's not nearly as much jank in unranked as you'd find outside the event.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

well it wasn't good enough for standard so things aren't gonna get better with the addition of more cards

exactly, which is why I liked playing it in durdle casual

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Bust Rodd posted:

Historic won’t be a hyper powered format out of the gates, it’s gonna be all the Ixalan tribes vs Esper Hero for like the first couple months.

Isn't it literally just going to be the current meta right now because Historic is every set in Arena.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Isn't it literally just going to be the current meta right now because Historic is every set in Arena.

Sort of? I think knights might be more of a thing with dominaria and eldraine in the same format

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Several turtles in this set, how close are we to be able to play turtle tribal?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know it's just mtg but flooding out 5/6 games with a 21 land deck makes me want to commit violent crimes

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Simone Poodoin posted:

Several turtles in this set, how close are we to be able to play turtle tribal?

Pretty close, I'd say! With Icon of Ancestry being your tribal engine.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's very satisfying when I can get an opponent to kill themselves with dreadhorde invasion.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lord_Magmar posted:

You're kidding yourself if you think that BW Knights won't get better with Hero's Downfall but with a knight attached.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sinteres posted:

It's very satisfying when I can get an opponent to kill themselves with dreadhorde invasion.

Yes. Also with a Ravnica Jace you bounce in response as they draw their last cards :getin:

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

Yes. Also with a Ravnica Jace you bounce in response as they draw their last cards :getin:

Played against Kethis combo and used Veil of Summer last second. :yeah:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

This deck owns but I think I want to cut Krenko, even if he's the entire reason I made the deck. Maybe for Feather? It has synergy with Hero and Aurelia sorta and I'm usually going 4 God's Willings from sideboard. Feels silly, but a flying 3/4 is better than anything else I can think of. I also don't really like Hero with so few triggers but can't find a two drop I like better either. Plus its not like the opponent knows I ain't got triggers so she definitely soaks removal.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

kater posted:

This deck owns but I think I want to cut Krenko, even if he's the entire reason I made the deck. Maybe for Feather? It has synergy with Hero and Aurelia sorta and I'm usually going 4 God's Willings from sideboard. Feels silly, but a flying 3/4 is better than anything else I can think of. I also don't really like Hero with so few triggers but can't find a two drop I like better either. Plus its not like the opponent knows I ain't got triggers so she definitely soaks removal.

Tithe Taker maybe for the 2-drop slot?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

kater posted:

Feather would work mana-wise since you already have a heavy emphasis on WW in the early game, but you would only really be using her for the body. And I'm not sure about having 4 of a legendary creature that mostly just attacks and blocks in this deck.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been having fun with Sultai Yarok but has Legion's End actually worked out for people? If it's supposed to stop Cavalcade it's not very good

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Legion's End is for taking out zombie waves and any Adanto Vanguards unfortunate to be in the way.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ah, maybe I should take it out of the Standard 2020 deck because I never see Fields in the event

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Legion's End is mainly for clearing out zombies vs Scapeshift decks. It's still good in a lot of other matchups into, but Scapeshift is the main reason to run it. It's great for dealing with Hydroid Krasis since a big Krasis will tend to draw more copies of Krasis, also shuts down a lot of aggro nuts draws like double good one drop, multiple Adantos, RDWs steamkins into dead on 4, double Llanowars in ramp, etc. If you're just seeing Cavalcade decks replace it with Cast Down so you can kill their birds.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gonna try using Finale of Eternity, kill 3 for 1BB seems fun

Lagomorphic posted:

If you're just seeing Cavalcade decks replace it with Cast Down so you can kill their birds.

I wish! I was asking earlier what I'm gonna need to use after rotation instead of my trusty Cast Down/Moment of Craving/Vraska's Contempt spot removal package. I have a pair of Ob Nix's Cruelty for the bigger ones. I killed a bird with it so I should have gotten bonus points for being on flavor point

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 15, 2019

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's mostly useful against cavalcade, but Chandra's Pyrohelix does a similar thing but better and at instant speed a turn earlier

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wish! I was asking earlier what I'm gonna need to use after rotation instead of my trusty Cast Down/Moment of Craving/Vraska's Contempt spot removal package. I have a pair of Ob Nix's Cruelty for the bigger ones. I killed a bird with it so I should have gotten bonus points for being on flavor point

that adventure knight that kills a planeswalker or creature for bb1 and 2 life

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

zoux posted:

I know it's just mtg but flooding out 5/6 games with a 21 land deck makes me want to commit violent crimes

the only violent crimes around here is your posts

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Eej posted:

You're kidding yourself if you think that BW Knights won't get better with Hero's Downfall but with a knight attached.

Okay fair point, wasn’t thinking about the Eldraine additions.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really like Legion’s End for the peek, honestly, it lets you know when you can gun it or when you have to play around important cards

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

zoux posted:

Don't worry as a fellow saltyposter I got your back

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh right I honestly forgot that you can't ran Cast Down because it's rotating. It feels like such a staple/baseline card for removal now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I just can't win 2 in a row to save my life today. This event is cool and I'm glad they are doing it, but getting steam rolled in your second game by either Mono White Life gain or Red Deck Wins is so loving demoralizing after awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

im glad i dont have to do that event at all it sounds horrific