Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

BioEnchanted posted:

And even Aloy's like "Are you sure they didn't just drink out of them?" whenever the collector tries to ascribe a deeper meaning.

I really wish vessel collector had his beliefs validated by finding a "#1 Dad" mug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Metro has a :smith: version of this where someone is playing with shadows and having kids guess which animals they are but they keep saying the name of the monsters that live on the upper world because they never saw anything else in their lives.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Got back into playing FF9 - and I loved everything that happened with Cleyra.

Starts off with this chill little tour of rat town, building up the lore of the place and characters - then you get to watch a bunch of river dancing rats and then you get to watch the town get blown to pieces not even 10 minutes since you've been introduced to everything.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I love how crazy combos you can make in Slay the Spire.

I was just fighting against double bosses who both have 250 hp. These are one of the end bosses in a normal run, so pretty tough.
Usually you can make like 5-30 points of damage per turn.

-I had used a power card that let's me play my first card of the turn twice
-Drink potion to get 2 action points (ap 4 -> 6)
-Play a card that has 0 ap cost and doubles my action points (gets played twice, ap 6 -> 24)
-Use a couple of ap to manipulate my magic orbs, so that the first orb in the line is a dark orb (these are magic attacks that get a bit stronger every turn if you don't use them, this had been there for few turns so the attack value was 36 or something)
-Play a card that uses the first orb as many times as you have action points (22 * 36 = 792 damage)

Feels good man.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Sep 14, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just got to the introduction of real telekinetic powers in Control, and it's so satisfying to yank stuff from behind your enemies and then throw it at them for a free one-two punch. Also everything you levitate makes the most adorable little spooky :ghost: noise when you make it fly over to you :3:

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just got to the introduction of real telekinetic powers in Control, and it's so satisfying to yank stuff from behind your enemies and then throw it at them for a free one-two punch. Also everything you levitate makes the most adorable little spooky :ghost: noise when you make it fly over to you :3:

Just finished it, and the lore and little poo poo in this game easily has made it one of my top 3 in the last decade, overall. Really well put together, overall. Hope you're playing on PC with RTX, looks _vastly_ superior to console.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Haha sadly no, I know I'm missing out on some goodness but between not wanting the ongoing hassle of keeping a PC current, and finding a separated game platform convenient, I've mostly moved to console gaming.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

I also love that even if you aren’t targeting anything in particular, Jesse will just grab whatever’s handy, or straight up rip chunks out of the environment if she has too, so it never fails you when you use it. That and the fact that it’s easily accessible on one button makes it my favorite video game telekinesis.

Related, I love that every power is just a button press away. No fiddling around in menus means I’m always using and getting the most out of my full suite of abilities. I liked that Mega Man 11 bound weapon selection to the right stick for the same reason.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Samuringa posted:

Metro has a :smith: version of this where someone is playing with shadows and having kids guess which animals they are but they keep saying the name of the monsters that live on the upper world because they never saw anything else in their lives.

If I recall, it's an old man doing an elephant, the kids don't believe that they existed, and the old man gets sad.

gently caress Metro was good.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Blasphemous is a bit of a mixed bag for me so far, but man the setting is wild. I walked into a room and was confronted by a giant topless woman with a bunch of swords impaling her torso, blood pouring out everywhere. She says a bunch of biblical poo poo about taking her suffering unto myself or something, then pulls one of the swords out of her chest and hands it to me, at which point it turns into glowing light and my character absorbs it, and...turns out this is what health upgrades look like in this game?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh god OK KO Let's Play Heroes just totally called out the Roxanne Gambit with the normal guy feeding lines to the idiot - KO predicts that that's what Gar's gonna ask him to do so he can talk to Carol as he keeps getting tongue tied, and when Gar asks how he knew he was gonna ask that KO just responds "Cause Adults and weird and so I just thought of the weirdest thing you could ask me to do :)"

This game is pretty great.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

The character art in the Phoenix Wright games is really impressive imo; the designs are fairly clean and simple but the range of body language is super expressive, and the combination of artwork/soundtrack/vibrate gets a surprising amount of subtlety and drama out of relativity few building blocks per character, especially during the trials. I found the bonus case in the first game a bit of a slog, frankly, but Damon Gant's deeply unsettling pauses etc. were really masterful at making him seem like an incredibly dangerous, untouchable opponent.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Triarii posted:

Blasphemous is a bit of a mixed bag for me so far, but man the setting is wild. I walked into a room and was confronted by a giant topless woman with a bunch of swords impaling her torso, blood pouring out everywhere. She says a bunch of biblical poo poo about taking her suffering unto myself or something, then pulls one of the swords out of her chest and hands it to me, at which point it turns into glowing light and my character absorbs it, and...turns out this is what health upgrades look like in this game?

As someone who grew up Catholic, and has always had a fascination for the darker side of Catholic culture and symbolism (reliquary saints, bone cathedrals, flagellation, etc), I can quite firmly say...

Game is more Catholic than Mass. It's very heavily inspired by that side of Catholicism, specifically of the Spanish variety. And I love it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Werong Bustope posted:

The character art in the Phoenix Wright games is really impressive imo; the designs are fairly clean and simple but the range of body language is super expressive, and the combination of artwork/soundtrack/vibrate gets a surprising amount of subtlety and drama out of relativity few building blocks per character, especially during the trials. I found the bonus case in the first game a bit of a slog, frankly, but Damon Gant's deeply unsettling pauses etc. were really masterful at making him seem like an incredibly dangerous, untouchable opponent.

I miss that period when every mod and admin here had a Phoenix Wright character as their avatar.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I might have to get into Spiderweb games again. I liked Geneforge, and that Queens Wish game sounds neat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Hygiene posted:

One little touch I love about TK and levitate is that when those powers are active, they have a sort of area of effect. When Jesse flies too close to an electric light it starts flickering. When she's holding a large object in the air, it will disturb small objects it passes near even if it doesn't touch them directly.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Playing The Surge and I really appreciate that if I really want the equipment that enemy has I just have to rip their limbs off for the pieces :unsmigghh:

also that I can deposit my currency in the rest point if I have a big stash and am not very sure that I'm going to get through this one run alive.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

space hulk

walking through enemy viscera makes you leave bloody footsteps for awhile.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Digirat posted:

space hulk

walking through enemy viscera makes you leave bloody footsteps for awhile.

That's been a thing since Duke Nukem 3D and I always check for it in blood, snow or sand.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

That's been a thing since Duke Nukem 3D and I always check for it in blood, snow or sand.

In the case of Duke 3D, don't forget the lizard poop.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

buddhist nudist posted:

I really liked how HZD handled it, for the most part they were able to figure things out because they're humans with human brains and the errors are largely from encountering things they don't have a proper frame of reference for.

Then you have stuff like the metal flowers that are a mystery for both the player and Aloy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite will always be "The Pitt" in Fallout 3 and how the power armor in that dlc is painted black and yellow to venerate the old gods

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite will always be "The Pitt" in Fallout 3 and how the power armor in that dlc is painted black and yellow to venerate the old gods

holy poo poo I never put this together lmao

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

RBA Starblade posted:

A sports team, I'm guessing?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm partial to the coffee machine in Civilization Beyond Earth: Rising Tide. Archaeologists believe it was used in religious rituals.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Samovar posted:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
The mobile game Deep Town has the most reasonable explanation for mysterious artifacts.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Samovar posted:

Every Pittsburgh team wears black and gold. Pittsburgh sports fans are known for being...

...enthusiastic.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

River City Girls has the best co-op partner revival mechanic, just curb stomp your partner's soul back into their body.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
We were talking about crafting in the dragging-down thread, and one thing for this thread is how World of Warcraft handles your materials bank.

The game treats everything in your bank as on your person, which is one of those things you take for granted (not just in MMOs, but most every game with crafting) until you play one of those other games and realize how annoying it is that you need 10 golden bear asses to craft Golden Bear rear end Essenses, but you only took eight out, and you have to go back and forth and ugh.

WoW, though? You always have those golden bear asses on you, because it's in your bank. It's a (semi?) recent QoL change that more games (again, not just MMOs) should do.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

We were talking about crafting in the dragging-down thread, and one thing for this thread is how World of Warcraft handles your materials bank.

The game treats everything in your bank as on your person, which is one of those things you take for granted (not just in MMOs, but most every game with crafting) until you play one of those other games and realize how annoying it is that you need 10 golden bear asses to craft Golden Bear rear end Essenses, but you only took eight out, and you have to go back and forth and ugh.

WoW, though? You always have those golden bear asses on you, because it's in your bank. It's a (semi?) recent QoL change that more games (again, not just MMOs) should do.

There are several Minecraft mods that do similar things, such as linking your crafting table to the chest/crate/box beside it. It's such a simple little QOL change, but like you said, you don't realize how useful it really is until you try to play without it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

PremiumSupport posted:

There are several Minecraft mods that do similar things, such as linking your crafting table to the chest/crate/box beside it. It's such a simple little QOL change, but like you said, you don't realize how useful it really is until you try to play without it.

There are mods that let you stuff everything in a big box and craft from that box anywhere a short distance away using an item in your inventory. You can also add on stuff to the system that lets you craft things automatically.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
My favorite “protagonist encounters objects familiar to the player but utterly alien to protagonist” is still Pikmin 2. You’re a tiny humanoid alien an inch tall exploring earth for the first time, and all the treasures you bring back are mundane earth objects. Each object gets a description from your protagonist Olimar, which are more contemplative and personal, and also one from your ships AI, which drums up each item as a sales pitch for prospective customers back home, , and both are very wrong almost always.

For example, one item you find is a little makeup compact, with a tiny mirror inside it.

Mirrored Stage
Olimar's journal
“Every day, it's nothing but work, work, work. Sometimes I need to just get it off my mind. So, I set this thing up as a stage and taught the Pikmin a song-and-dance routine. Red, purple, white, yellow, and blue Pikmin danced in perfect unison and sang their little hearts out. When I return home, I should take up a career as a dance instructor.”
Sales pitch
“Come rain, wind, or typhoon, this stage will always support the hidden singer deep in your soul. It is a lovely instant dance stage. How about taking one on tour with you, star of rock?”

They’re all so good, reading each interpretation and description is a real treat and an honest to god motivator to keep playing. https://www.pikminwiki.com/List_of_Pikmin_2_treasures

Overall it’s incredibly charming, Nintendo I already bought the switch please give me the pikmin content I crave.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

MisterBibs posted:

They’ve done a bunch of QoL changes over the years. Most quest items now go into some offscreen bag with infinite space. Before this was in WoW, I saw something like that in the Warhammer MMO. In that there was a separate tab you clicked to, not an invisible thing like WoW.

They’ve made looting much easier too. If someone from you faction attacks an enemy, you and others from your faction can attack it too, and you’ll all get your own loot from it without having to group up. If the monster is a named guy who part of a quest objective or a rare spawn, you don’t even need to be from the same faction, unless you have pvp mode activated. (PvE and PvP sergers are no longer a thing. Now you head to a capital city and activate “War Mode” which phases you into a PvP version of your server until you deactivate it at any rest area.) If a quest involves picking up objects off the ground, most often you and other players each see your own versions of the objects so there’s no competition. I think this somewhat applies to ore deposits and herbs that you gather for professions too.

If you kill more than one monster, you no longer have to individually loot each one. Click one, and you’ll see the loot tables of every lootable corpse in a certain distance.

The skinning profession is the one relic of the old system I think. Once a beast corpse has been looted, the first skinner to click it gets the leather, and it disappears. They’re looking into changing it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

PremiumSupport posted:

There are a few simple but extremely powerful mods like this in Stardew Valley that absolutely broke the gently caress out of that game. Since I'd already played it through several times, I figured why not crack the thing wide open while waiting for the next content release? It's really fun, but--at least for me--best used only after you've already wrung the game dry and are looking for something new to try.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

There are a few simple but extremely powerful mods like this in Stardew Valley that absolutely broke the gently caress out of that game.

Any favorite examples or experiences? I've only played vanilla Stardew.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

Seconded, I've played an absolute ton of Stardew but I've never really hosed around with mods, but I've done pretty much everything there is to do in the game so maybe it's time.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

They’ve made looting much easier too. If someone from you faction attacks an enemy, you and others from your faction can attack it too, and you’ll all get your own loot from it without having to group up. If the monster is a named guy who part of a quest objective or a rare spawn, you don’t even need to be from the same faction, unless you have pvp mode activated.

I think they lifted those from the Warhammer MMO as well. It had the same, or at least very similar mechanics. I remeber a few quests requiring bear asses going much faster just because someone was farming them in the same area, so as long as you damaged their enemy and they damaged yours, you both got the look from both enemies.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Sure!
  • I have the CJB Cheats Menu, which is highly customizable depending on what you want and need (i.e., how much you want to cheat).
  • Automate is insane. I was musing about hoppers and chests in Minecraft and wondered if you could do something similar in Stardew Valley, and with this mod, you can. For example, I connect a chest to a cluster of animal-product-processing machines and throw all the raw materials into the chest; they get routed to the correct machines, with the finished product routed back to the chest. Throw all your eggs in the chest, come back later for a bunch of mayo all in one place. That's just the tip of the iceberg; it's a very powerful mod.
  • Then there's the Deluxe Auto-Grabber, which enhances the auto-grabber you can buy from Marnie (for a pretty penny) once you reach Farming Lv. 10. Now it works in the coop, too...but can also collect all forage (even on the beach, in the secret woods, and in the desert!), fruit off your trees, and your crops. It's very customizable, and works well with Automate.
  • Finally, Chest Anywhere gives you access to all of your chests anywhere you are. You can turn off access while in the mines if you want a fairer shot. It lets you label your chests and make them work in certain ways with Automate.
Then there's CJB Item Spawner; it's extremely cheaty, so use it prudently. I still have fun completing the community center bundles, so this is more for the aforementioned Auto-Grabber and other stuff I just can't be bothered to craft toward the end of year 2. There are so many QOL mods on Nexus, too, so browse through there and see if any of them check the boxes for your own personal playing style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

That post just reminds me how much I still love Terraria and its endless updates with more QoL adds each time, on top of an increasingly robust modding community that adds even MORE QoL adds and really cool cheat functions for those who just want to build cool homes after playing out the exploration aspect.