Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Zyla posted:

im glad i dont have to do that event at all it sounds horrific

It's not bad, but in order to get the 200 bonus XP you have to win 2 matches in a row. If you just win one, well then you don't get poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

It's not bad, but in order to get the 200 bonus XP you have to win 2 matches in a row. If you just win one, well then you don't get poo poo.

yeah that is horrific!

takes 5 sets of 2-0s lmao id just pay the money

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been pretty good at getting 2 or 3 event clears a day but since I'm gonna cap out on XP anyway might as well switch to S20 ranked

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm glad I'm so far behind due to not playing at all during most of July and August that I'm not even gonna try to catch up.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Feels weird to concede to a player that clearly should've won but doesn't understand when to activate Zephyr Charge such that I can't block.

Also feels weird to still be bronze in draft. Four Heart-Piercer Bows and two Renowned Weaponsmith oughtta win more than one round in draft.

Well, minus the one I conceded. But I felt bad for that fella.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

Lone Goat posted:

that adventure knight that kills a planeswalker or creature for bb1 and 2 life

and then is a 2/3 with lifelink, in case that 2 life was a problem

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Can Wizards please start calling its formats by Bo1 and Bo3 like the rest of the world?

This is the second time tonight I've drafted a deck expecting to go into Bo3 and then ending up Bo1. Those need different cards!

This is what the world gets for incessantly requesting math of me.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Hammer Bro. posted:

This is what the world gets for incessantly requesting math of me.

:confused:

You got a bad deck. What did the world get?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

An explanation of how to approximate trigonometric functions to arbitrary precision on a processor capped at 32-bit data types.

And minor shader magic which feels complicated but might actually be reasonable for those used to working in nonsequential computational environments.

It makes me tired. I need to find some hobbies that aren't brain-drainey and also don't involve lifting other people's furniture then putting it back down.

Jank's been treating me better.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zyla posted:

im glad i dont have to do that event at all it sounds horrific

Sucks for you because that horrific event is going to be the meta for like the next six months

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

Sucks for you because that horrific event is going to be the meta for like the next six months

No, it'll have a complete set to round it out. The problem now is that it's 3 sets and a handful of bad Eldraine cards

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I also tend to forget m20 exists.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Hammer Bro. posted:

I need to find some hobbies that... don't involve lifting other people's furniture then putting it back down.

you have strange hobbies, friend

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GimmickMan posted:

I also tend to forget m20 exists.

4 Sets and a handful of bad Eldraine cards

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Also feels weird to still be bronze in draft. Four Heart-Piercer Bows and two Renowned Weaponsmith oughtta win more than one round in draft.

Don't think 6 spells 34 land is going to be win much of anything.

(show us the deck)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lost three of three games in draft today to mana.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Trip report on Finale of Eternity: It is really good when you have two Nissas on the field and have like 20 mana turn 6

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh when people were talking about playing Standard 2020 ranked I thought you all were talking about a queue, not another event

Why was Ranked not the default mode for this event lol I could have been working towards those styles

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The designers who made Narset should seriously have all their fingers and toes clipped off with pruning shears and be made to eat them.

Like I can’t imagine sitting down to design an uncommon with the text “your opponent can’t draw cards” and not having everyone else in the room go “dude it’s a CARD game, that’s like the whole point, go take five minutes and get rid of that terrible idea”

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
*playing a bunch of scuttling reefy bois*

maybe you should consider drawing cards via mechanics that don't draw

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Bust Rodd posted:

The designers who made Narset should seriously have all their fingers and toes clipped off with pruning shears and be made to eat them.

Like I can’t imagine sitting down to design an uncommon with the text “your opponent can’t draw cards” and not having everyone else in the room go “dude it’s a CARD game, that’s like the whole point, go take five minutes and get rid of that terrible idea”

Narset is easy to kill and you can use card draw on their turn if you just have an Opt, Growth Spiral, Arch activation, etc. It doesn't shut down card draw completely. It's super funny watching people go all in on like a Bontu with one sitting around though. That's more of a general WotS has 18 plansewalkers with passives that will randomly ruin you if you forget about them though than a Narset specific problem.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

You can still draw cards, just 1 on each turn. It's a great check to Krasis and some other annoying cards

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you have any kind of damage threat Narset is basically draw 1 for 1UU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Naw it’s a trash card for dweebs, and I can’t wait for Murderous Rider to enter the format so her reign of terror will be over.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

Naw it’s a trash card for dweebs, and I can’t wait for Murderous Rider to enter the format so her reign of terror will be over.

Are you sure you know how to target her with removal, it seems problematic so far

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think mono black is going to need ritual of soot to stay relevant. Either that or a more aggro focused meta. There are so many greedy archetypes in UG that can go over mono black.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Black is gonna have problems when it has Legion's End, Witch's Vengeance, Epic Downfall, Reave Soul, Swift End and Blast Zone?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Eej posted:

Black is gonna have problems when it has Legion's End, Witch's Vengeance, Epic Downfall, Reave Soul, Swift End and Blast Zone?

Don't forget the best black removal spell, Dread Presence!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eej posted:

I'm not sure if he means mono black aggro or mono black control, one of which doesn't exist and the other can casually have 10+ power on the board on turn 3 so uhhhh yeah it's very confusing

I'm pretty sure the aggro deck fears being wrathed not punching through geese and dryads, assuming goose even sees play

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Are you sure you know how to target her with removal, it seems problematic so far
Targeting narset with removal seems unprofitable

Narset's an absurdly powerful (and unfun) card, if you're going to have a problem with a card existing in this standard it's a pretty good pick.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There are now so many ways in Standard to get cards easily without drawing and thus bypassing Narset, including Narset

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No Wave posted:

Targeting narset with removal seems unprofitable

Narset's an absurdly powerful (and unfun) card, if you're going to have a problem with a card existing in this standard it's a pretty good pick.

I was mostly just picking on him for being unable to deal with the oppressiveness of Narset

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
"narset's not even that good a card"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Reprint Gary and you'll see the real power of standard mono black.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eej posted:

Legion's End and Witch's Vengeance don't trade efficiently against Field of the Dead, as nuts as that sounds. I do mean mono black control. I tried to put my current mono black control deck together in M20 preview and it was bumpy going.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eej posted:

Reprint Gary and you'll see the real power of standard mono black.
I still kinda wonder how mono black got through its standard season without a banning. It was like two-thirds of top eights for two seasons and people just didn't complain that much?

Then again people have some weird rear end fondness for that archetype, going back to the torment deck, even though the torment deck was atrocious poo poo boring gameplay to the pro max.

Now Wake, Wake was a real deck.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No Wave posted:

"narset's not even that good a card"

No one said that.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

3 mana Planeswalkers are a drat plague it don't matter which one we are talking about.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think Narset's passive is an excellent thing to have on a playable card, but I could buy that maybe it shouldn't be a blue card.

Then again, modern Magic is basically the five colors passing around the "be a blood-filled blister on the anus of the format" pipe, so I'm not sure what color you could put it in that wouldn't eventually end up being the fun police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kater posted:

3 mana Planeswalkers are a drat plague it don't matter which one we are talking about.

nah they are cool and good