Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Maybe if you said, people who don’t like big sprawling books stay away from it instead of telling everyone stay away from it? I understand some people just don’t like books that are more than 500 pages. That said I was fine with the length, and Simmons kept me engaged. Funny I read the book when it originally came out in hardback, but I still have yet to watch the series. I plan to correct that before Halloween.

Also Dan Simmons has some really great books before Obama and Muslims broke him. His Summer of Night goes toe to toe with King’s IT, and the Hyperion’s series is amazing (although it finishes weaker than it started).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Hubbardologist posted:

tonight I watched the first few episodes of Undone, new Amazon show done using rotoscope, starring Rosa Salazar and Bob Odenkirk, created by some (all?) of the folks behind Bojack Horseman. i'm real into it. if you liked Scanner Darkly, Russian Doll, and/or generally shows with non-linear storytelling, unreliable narrators and dealing with depression and potential schizophrenia, it seems to be worth trying out.

I just came here to say essentially the same thing. Undone is really good.

Edit: And I just finished it this morning, so I can confirm that it is solid throughout.

Gooble Rampling fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 15, 2019

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Captain Magic posted:

No matter your opinion on The Terror the show, stay away from The Terror the book. Goddamn what a slog.

What the gently caress

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I really enjoyed Undone but was unsatisfied by the ending.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Re-embrace the variety show aspect of it. The whole thing has gotten up its own rear end with continuity and backstory and drama and whatever since The Muppet Movie, but I care way more about Kermit running a theatre than I do about his complicated backstory and long-running relationships.

The Muppet Show is still the best piece of Muppet media because it was just a sketch show centered on being a fun, weird, goofy, funny blast. The original was a wacky take on vaudeville, so make the new one a wacky take on SNL or late night talkshows or whatever light wraparound narrative you need and make it a really inventive sketch show that can do a musical number if it wants to and can have a meta bit with Mark Hamill if it wants to.

I think a similar approach to Scooby-Doo and Guess Who would be the right direction. They're updating and revamping the same core concepts behind The New Scooby-Doo Movies and staying true to what made that work rather than trying to subvert it or do a riff on 30 Rock or whatever that terrible ABC show was doing.

Way back in the '70s, Henson said that the core of The Muppet Show was that if the Muppets had a basketball team, the final score would be Frog 99, Chaos 98.

A lot of the Muppets stuff since he and Jerry Juhl died has gotten away from that, unfortunately.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jim Henson being a basketball guy makes a lot of sense to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished The Terror and goddamn I loved it. Those last few episodes are just loving tragic though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finished up s1 of The Terror as well. Fantastic series that started strong and ended strong and never wore out its welcome. The cast was absolutely incredible.

I hated Fitzjames at first but god drat I loved that dude by the end. He seemed like an incompetent officer in it for personal glory, but he was one of the most competent and decent people on the crew and it broke my heart to see him die. I also really liked the slow reveal of Hickey's character. He started as a scrappy sympathetic guy trying to work his way up in the world and you start to realize as things get more desperate that he's a cunning and merciless sociopath and that every single thing he does is to manipulate circumstances in his favor, culminating in the mutiny and the reveal that he wasn't even the real Hickey. I liked that the monster was an equal or even lesser threat compared to the dwindling resources, traitorous crew members, and rapidly declining morale.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm currently watching What We Do in the Shadows the TV show on Hulu. I was worried that the three main cast members couldn't compare to the movie leads, but they're funny as gently caress.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You are in for a surprise.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

No matter your opinion on The Terror the show, stay away from The Terror the book. Goddamn what a slog.

Correct opinion. The book needed editing badly. Some long, sprawling books earn their length but The Terror did not.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 16, 2019

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i distinctly remember forcing myself to keep reading The Terror but the tv show has me captivated

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

nate fisher posted:

Maybe if you said, people who don’t like big sprawling books stay away from it instead of telling everyone stay away from it? I understand some people just don’t like books that are more than 500 pages. That said I was fine with the length, and Simmons kept me engaged. Funny I read the book when it originally came out in hardback, but I still have yet to watch the series. I plan to correct that before Halloween.

Also Dan Simmons has some really great books before Obama and Muslims broke him. His Summer of Night goes toe to toe with King’s IT, and the Hyperion’s series is amazing (although it finishes weaker than it started).

Yeah Summer of Night is really good. I read it last year and was amazed I'd never heard of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

I'm currently watching What We Do in the Shadows the TV show on Hulu. I was worried that the three main cast members couldn't compare to the movie leads, but they're funny as gently caress.

As soon as I heard Matt Berry was in the main cast I knew it would be gold. The Trial episode is easily the highest point of the season.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

BisterdDave posted:

Just finished watching The Villainess on Hulu, pretty drat good Korean action flick. While watching a making-of from John Wick 3, they mentioned that they got the idea for the motorcycle scene from this movie. It definitely could've trimmed some fat off the meat, but overall it was enjoyable.

If you like Korean movies, check out Along with the Gods:The Two Worlds and Along with the Gods:The Last 49 Days.

If you can find a way, also check out The Witch: Part 1 - The subversion.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Best movie (not TV show) you've seen on Netflix or Prime recently, "sight unseen"? You just randomly clicked on something without knowing much about it.

For me, Cop Car. Minimalistic but tense, good action scenes. Excellent child actors. Had never heard of it before.

What else?

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 17, 2019

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Cop Car is loving great

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I’m rewatching Return of the Living Dead and everyone in this movie is acting their rear end off.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Best movie (not TV show) you've seen on Netflix or Prime recently, "sight unseen"? You just randomly clicked on something without knowing much about it.

I've got two.

I watched Vault of Horror (1973) because it was listed on Shudder's "Essentials" page. Turns out that it's the sequel to the original Tales from the Crypt. It's a five part anthology with a good mix of gruesome and goofy parts.

I can't remember why I watched Let the Corpses Tan (2017), but it was a very good decision. It's probably the best thing I've watched in the past few months. It's about a small gang of criminals hiding out with their hippy friends in the desert after robbing an armored truck. It's all going pretty well until two bike cops show up investigating a missing kid and get into a standoff with the gang that quickly turns into a war of attrition. It's not The Raid, but it's smart and tense and has more style than anything else you've seen this year. It's streaming on Prime and I highly recommend it.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 17, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I know that it can be rewarding, but my watchlist is way too long to ever do this.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
One thing I enjoy doing is taking recommendations from this thread without looking up anything about the title, just going in blind. For the most part it's rewarding, my wife can't stand it though and has to watch a trailer beforehand.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

As soon as I heard Matt Berry was in the main cast I knew it would be gold. The Trial episode is easily the highest point of the season.

I read this as Mary Berry and was, uh, intrigued?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BisterdDave posted:

One thing I enjoy doing is taking recommendations from this thread without looking up anything about the title, just going in blind. For the most part it's rewarding, my wife can't stand it though and has to watch a trailer beforehand.

My friends don't trust me for blind recommendations anymore after I told them they should watch the heartwarming feel good documentary, Dear Zachary. I got my sister to watch it on Christmas.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

My friends don't trust me for blind recommendations anymore after I told them they should watch the heartwarming feel good documentary, Dear Zachary. I got my sister to watch it on Christmas.

That's incredibly mean-spirited, especially since it's an actual crime about an actual child being killed.

Like, you can trick someone into watching Irreversible I guess, but at least they have the benefit in knowing that it's completely fictional.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Medullah posted:

The one time going in blind really backfired on me was when I suggested my wife and I watch The Handmaiden. For some reason I thought it was a horror flick and we were prepared for some scaries. About halfway through (and a couple scissor scenes later) we both looked at each other and just laughed at my stupidity. Ended up watching the rest, it was alright.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does anyone else get this weird glitch on Amazon where the word "demo" pops up in most words in the subtitles?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

veni veni veni posted:

American Honey is pretty good and surprisingly entertaining for a 3 hour movie where not much happens, but saying it was inspired by Harmony Korine feels like an understatement.

Yeah, I just watched this having wanted to see it for a few years now and as much as I enjoyed it, it feels very much like somebody trying to make a "respectable" Harmony Korine film, in a sense. Take that as you will, I don't necessarily mean it as a condemnation. Also made me realize I'm a helpless sucker for something this film (and tons of Harmony Korine films) does: has a group of weird outcast characters dance/sing to pop music.

e: yeah I forgot even my avatar is from the "Everytime" scene in Spring Breakers

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I've watched the first few episode of Unbelievable on Netflix and it's a great show so far, but so utterly skin-crawling to watch. The first episode starts with a warning that sexual assault is in this show (based on a true story) and I would recommend people really loving heed that warning. There is not really any explicit long scenes of sexual assault, but the small snippets you see are very distressing, but even worse is the police questioning later which is somehow worse than the rape itself was. If you want an example of victims being mistreated and re-victimized by the system, well here it is.

Making someone having to repeat themselves constantly about what happened while not being believed, it's just the worst experience. So kudos to the show for capturing it, but don't watch if you're looking for a good time. Really take notice of that initial warning and think about if you want of put yourself through this.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Carnival Row on Prime is extremely my jam. If it looks at all interesting to you I recommend checking it out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
X post from the horror thread:

Trailer for 'Netflix and Chills', Netflix's October horror/thriller releases

Movies

Shadow of the Moon is a psychological thriller in which a detective becomes obsessed with a series of murders that seem beyond explanation.

In the Tall Grass in which a sister and brother venture into a vast field of grass in Kansas after hearing a young boy’s cry for help, but soon discover that there may be no way out. Based on the novella by Stephen King and his son Joe Hill

Fractured in which a man's wife and daughter disappear from an ER, and he is convinced the hospital is hiding something .

Eli in which a boy receiving treatment for his auto-immune disorder discovers that the house he’s living isn’t as safe as he thought.

Rattlesnake in which a single mother accepts the help of a mysterious woman after her daughter is bitten by a rattlesnake. She soon finds herself forced to pay back her “debt” by taking the life of a total stranger in the rural town of Tulia, Texas.

Series

Daybreak a horror-comedy in which gangs of students make their way through a post-Apocalyptic wasteland of monsters and teenage cliques.

Haunted season 2 - a reality series in which real people talk about supernatural encounters, with spooky reenactments.

Marianne in which a famous horror writer who is lured back to her hometown discovers that the evil spirit who plagues her dreams is now wreaking havoc in the real world.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of horror stuff what's the best season of Channel Zero? I just got Shudder and I wanna watch a horror TV show and I can only take so much American Horror Story.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

IMO it’s 3 > 1 > 2 for good channel zero seasons. I haven’t seen the 4th though so I should probably get around to that.

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 18, 2019

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
In the Tall Grass reminds me of an urban legend I read where a farmer walks out into a field of grass and just vanishes in front of his family's eyes. For a while they hear him calling for help, but can't find him. Animals refuse to graze there, and a circle of grass just grows until one day it just stops being spooky, though the farmer is never seen or heard again.

Eli looks like Jacob's Ladder, but with a kid.

I swear there was another movie with a similar plot to Fractured.

They all look good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1174061375825432576

I think the network streaming services like CBS and Peacock are gonna fold first.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1174061375825432576

I think the network streaming services like CBS and Peacock are gonna fold first.

I feel like they'll all stay except quibui and peacock or whatever, but that may be just because I don't recognize those two. If I had to pick more, I guess criterion and cbs are more niche, but the others all have huge money machines behind them so they don't really have to die

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

I feel like they'll all stay except quibui and peacock or whatever, but that may be just because I don't recognize those two. If I had to pick more, I guess criterion and cbs are more niche, but the others all have huge money machines behind them so they don't really have to die

Peacock is NBC. I've never heard of quibui either. You're right about them having money machines behind them, but I can see some getting shuttered because they don't make as much money as the company wants them to make and then putting their library back on Netflix/Hulu/Prime.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Quibi is doomed. It's a 70 year old man trying to micromanage snackable narrative content for teenagers casting people like John Stamos and Kiefer Sutherland in main roles. It couldn't be more wrongheaded.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Speaking of horror stuff what's the best season of Channel Zero? I just got Shudder and I wanna watch a horror TV show and I can only take so much American Horror Story.

3 and 2 are the best IMO for different reasons. 3 is a hyper surreal nightmare and 2 is an emotionally brutal more plot driven story.

1 is mediocre and 4 is pretty good based mostly on the ‘villain’

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looking forward to a streaming service rebooting Lancelot Link Secret Chimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Spy was some really good spy drama. Doesn't wear out it's welcome on a binge watch either at a lean 6 episodes.