Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe I'll watch Tigers tomorrow... this weekend is my Rob Zombie Rewatch-a-Thon, in preparation for 3 From Hell on Monday. I just finished House of 1000 Corpses, and man does that movie seem to get worse every time I watch it. I mean there's a little bit of the Rob Zombie (the filmmaker) I grew to love in there, but he so didn't hit his stride until Devil's Rejects. And then he broke stride, then hit it again, then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I almost forgot 3 from Hell comes out next week. I snagged tickets real fast to an almost sold out screening.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm not going to believe the early hype "It's better than Rejects, guys, seriously!" reviews until I see it for myself. I'm expecting to get fuckin' blown away Monday and it better not disappoint.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m expecting to be wined and dined by Bill Mosley tbh

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've got my 3 From Hell tickets, really happy the theater pretty much sold out. I remember when I went to the 31 midnight premiere it was pretty empty. Can't wait for Monday!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I went for the poster because posters are cool and I can have a tangible thing going “I WAS THERE” if I ever met Rob Zombie. I can be like, yeah dawg I got you.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I went for the poster because posters are cool and I can have a tangible thing going “I WAS THERE” if I ever met Rob Zombie. I can be like, yeah dawg I got you.

i feel you i CLEANED OUT the merch booth last time I saw him perform

If you haven't seen Rob Zombie perform live you HAVE TO. One of the best shows I've been to.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’ll hate me more because I don’t really listen to much music, outside of movie scores. Only band I dig enough to go out of my way to see them is Tenacious D and I spent way too much money there

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe I'll watch Tigers tomorrow... this weekend is my Rob Zombie Rewatch-a-Thon, in preparation for 3 From Hell on Monday. I just finished House of 1000 Corpses, and man does that movie seem to get worse every time I watch it. I mean there's a little bit of the Rob Zombie (the filmmaker) I grew to love in there, but he so didn't hit his stride until Devil's Rejects. And then he broke stride, then hit it again, then...

Oh gently caress now I want to rewatch Ho1kC and TDR.

But I'm 2 hours into the 7 hour F13 documentary...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I was going to put Tigers Are Not afraid at the top of my "favorite horror movie of the year" list, but apparently it came out in 2017.

What the hell? Why did it take me two years to find out about this amazing movie? I thought I was pretty plugged into movie and horror nerd culture, but I guess I need to start paying more attention.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It came out this Thursday. It’s been stuck in distribution hell for 2 years.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
It played a lot of the major genre film festivals in 2018 but unless you pay attention to those you wouldn't have heard much about it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

It came out this Thursday. It’s been stuck in distribution hell for 2 years.

Ah, in that case shame on the distributors for not putting this amazing movie out sooner because goddamn is it good.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

i feel you i CLEANED OUT the merch booth last time I saw him perform

If you haven't seen Rob Zombie perform live you HAVE TO. One of the best shows I've been to.

Ozzfest '99, though I can't remember if it was him with White Zombie or his solo thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The podcast The Movie Crypt just had her on and she explained what happened. No spoilers fyi

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I watched the PBS Raúl Julia documentary and now I wish there was some way I could watch Julia play Dracula on Broadway.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stink Billyums posted:

It played a lot of the major genre film festivals in 2018 but unless you pay attention to those you wouldn't have heard much about it.

Yeah it's only just now getting any sort of release, only on streaming in most places but it got a tiny limited theatre run here in Toronto as well. I first heard about it when it ran Fantasia Fest last summer.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

watched Head Count last night and it was quite enjoyable. the constant "who's missing? where is everyone?" guessing game was good fun, especially in the panning-camera never-have-i-ever circle. the monster effects were a bit creaky though, and it had a bit too much exposition. but some really good unsettling shots.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1173084021460353029?s=21

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to practice more gouache paintings.

Dunno what this is. Certainly nothing this silly could have an entire film franchise based around it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hell yea! Raw was so good.

I also recently watched the first two slumber party massacres for the first time. Both are pretty great, but the sequel was surprisingly good and heady. Also super nostalgic, since aesthetically, the house was just like my aunt's house when I was a kid.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

married but discreet posted:

I think IT is just a hungry boy who wants good food.

Then why didn't IT just eat? On multiple occasions in this movie and previous one, IT has one of the Losers trapped, helpless and available for munching and IT lets them go or otherwise doesn't bother to complete the kill. Either IT has some other purpose for them that requires them to remain alive, or IT knows that IT is in a movie and is not allowed to snarf any of the main cast until near the end if it all.

I'm fan-wanking the "priesthood" idea because as it stands there's just some bad writing. Also, I kind of like the idea of the rituals and sacraments because that inverts the nature of ITs action. When IT is active, IT isn't feeding. IT's planting seeds of fear, despair and rage in Derry. Those seeds ripen into poisoned fruit within the town, sickening and twisting the next generation of Derry and letting IT bend them to ITs will and feed on their spirits. That's what IT feeds on, not the kids IT kills when IT's active.

Also, isn't interesting how all the Losers seemed to become very successful as adults. Bill's a best-selling author with a movie. Ben is a sought-after architect. Richie is a successful stand-up comic. We don't get much detail but Stan and Eddie seemed to be living well. Bev's marriage sucked but she clearly married someone wealthy and powerful. Even Mark runs the Derry Public Library, which is probably a job with some prestige in that town. No one's in jail or homeless or just living hand-to-mouth in a crappy job. Perhaps that's because they were all, in a weird, roundabout way, "blessed" by IT.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I've been trying to practice more gouache paintings.

Dunno what this is. Certainly nothing this silly could have an entire film franchise based around it.

Please make this my avatar until I can get it tattooed on me

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Necrotizer F posted:

Then why didn't IT just eat? On multiple occasions in this movie and previous one, IT has one of the Losers trapped, helpless and available for munching and IT lets them go or otherwise doesn't bother to complete the kill. Either IT has some other purpose for them that requires them to remain alive, or IT knows that IT is in a movie and is not allowed to snarf any of the main cast until near the end if it all.

I'm fan-wanking the "priesthood" idea because as it stands there's just some bad writing. Also, I kind of like the idea of the rituals and sacraments because that inverts the nature of ITs action. When IT is active, IT isn't feeding. IT's planting seeds of fear, despair and rage in Derry. Those seeds ripen into poisoned fruit within the town, sickening and twisting the next generation of Derry and letting IT bend them to ITs will and feed on their spirits. That's what IT feeds on, not the kids IT kills when IT's active.

Also, isn't interesting how all the Losers seemed to become very successful as adults. Bill's a best-selling author with a movie. Ben is a sought-after architect. Richie is a successful stand-up comic. We don't get much detail but Stan and Eddie seemed to be living well. Bev's marriage sucked but she clearly married someone wealthy and powerful. Even Mark runs the Derry Public Library, which is probably a job with some prestige in that town. No one's in jail or homeless or just living hand-to-mouth in a crappy job. Perhaps that's because they were all, in a weird, roundabout way, "blessed" by IT.

In the first movie, he couldn’t eat Beverly because she wasn’t afraid of him enough. Maybe I just inferred the wrong thing, but I got the sense that the kids were too resilient in some way to be his prey, like there’s a psychic or metaphysical component to his feeding.

Anyway, I’m reading the novel and there’s a five-page span where Ben remembers looking up a girl’s skirt as a kid and getting a huge boner, hears a white guy do an “n-word voice” (there’s a lot of white guys doing n-word voices) and then as an adult looks at a high-school girl’s shirt and notices that she’s not wearing a bra and has hard nipples.

If I had read it at 15 I probably would have loved it, but how do adults ever get to be Stephen King fans? Isn’t IT supposed to be one of his best novels?

There’s also a part where the characters meet up as adults and talk about their lives, and after Ben describes how he told a guy off asa kid, Eddie tells him that he doesn’t think kids would talk that way. It’s a surprising amount of self-awareness.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don’t think of IT as one of his best books, just the most well known. Off my head I’d say The Stand, Carrie, Pet Semetary, The Dark Half, Misery, etc are all books I prefer to IT.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Anyway, I’m reading the novel and there’s a five-page span where Ben remembers looking up a girl’s skirt as a kid and getting a huge boner, hears a white guy do an “n-word voice” (there’s a lot of white guys doing n-word voices) and then as an adult looks at a high-school girl’s shirt and notices that she’s not wearing a bra and has hard nipples.
If this is your first Stephen King book, you should know he does include a lot of really weird things in his books like that. The one that stood out most to me in his Dark Tower books where he focused a lot of detail on a baby's penis. Not even kidding. You haven't even gotten to the worst part of the IT book, though chances are you know what THAT scene would be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stephen King isn't the master of horror, he's the master of Creepy Sex Stuff.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

In the first movie, he couldn’t eat Beverly because she wasn’t afraid of him enough. Maybe I just inferred the wrong thing, but I got the sense that the kids were too resilient in some way to be his prey, like there’s a psychic or metaphysical component to his feeding.

Except that the others Losers were clearly scared out of their minds during their encounters with IT. Why weren't they munched? Again, the answer is IT wanted something else from them or they were in the main cast.

Hell, even taking Beverly bumps up against that. If IT could physically move her to ITs outer lair despite her lack of fear, why couldn't IT have killed her? Hell even if IT couldn't truly eat her, it could have just drowned her.

Taking Bev does work with my idea. Taking her pushes the Losers into a confrontation where IT can give them the choice to let Bill sacrifice himself. That lets IT have Bill to work on and twist as IT desires (and Bill, even as a kid, would clearly be a superior asset to Henry Bowers). Plus, having made that one deal with IT, the other Losers can potentially be pressured or enticed to make further bargains. That way, instead of simply having the adults of Derry be blind to IT, IT has a group of human servants among them actively working ITs will and growing ITs power in the world above. Perhaps to the point that IT grows strong enough to eat this world as IT claimed to have eaten others.

I don't know. I guess I just prefer the idea that there was a whole plot that could be inferred but never made explicit to the idea that the writers just couldn't be arsed to develop any kind of decent internal logic for ITs actions.

If I had read it at 15 I probably would have loved it, but how do adults ever get to be Stephen King fans? Isn’t IT supposed to be one of his best novels?

There’s also a part where the characters meet up as adults and talk about their lives, and after Ben describes how he told a guy off as a kid, Eddie tells him that he doesn’t think kids would talk that way. It’s a surprising amount of self-awareness.

As an 18 year old in college I loved it. I even thought that scene was awesome and showed King to be a badass writer. Now... not so much.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Necrotizer F posted:

I even thought that scene was awesome and showed King to be a badass writer.

dude what the gently caress lol

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kvlt! posted:

dude what the gently caress lol

...when I was a stupid-rear end 18 year old in college, remember.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I read The Stand when I was 12 or 13 and I really liked it. And in high school I read the four Dark Tower books that were out at that time, and the only creepy thing I remember is an old lady fingering Susan and possibly eating out her butt (?) to do magic or something. I realize now what an extremely weird thing that is to put in your fantasy adventure story.

I guess before the internet, perverts had to find their weird sex stuff in mainstream avenues. I remember like Buck Rogers had bondage poo poo in it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Oh yeah Stephen King always has some sort of Weird Sex Stuff. One of my nieces was interested after getting into Stranger Things and being a big reader, but there isn’t much I can recommend for a 12 year old girl because of all the weird sex stuff. Even The Stand has an extended aside about the Trashcan Man being forced to suck a dude’s dick

El Duodenum
Dec 27, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Oh yeah Stephen King always has some sort of Weird Sex Stuff. One of my nieces was interested after getting into Stranger Things and being a big reader, but there isn’t much I can recommend for a 12 year old girl because of all the weird sex stuff. Even The Stand has an extended aside about the Trashcan Man being forced to suck a dude’s dick

The Eyes of the Dragon might be an okay recommendation. It’s pretty tame compared to his other books, and it was the first King book I read, when I was 12. Of course, once you read that, where do you go from there, other than to his adult novels? I think I read It when I was 15...

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my mom gave me a copy of the stand when i was 10 i remember reading it and going "hmm"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was a strange read. I enjoyed it but I thought the new movie was better. It filtered it in through a rad dark Amblin movie and took out all the weird stuff and made it a more fun experience.

Some stuff I liked in the book are missed but I’ll gladly trade those moments for the scenes of Bev watching Henry Bowers and Hocksetter(??) check out each other’s dicks and Bev thinking about all the little details on them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Don't remember Salem's Lot having any weird sex stuff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was and am still a bigger fan of his short stories than anything.

I really enjoyed the Stand up until they got the settlements made and then they went into spy master poo poo.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kings shortest stuff is generally his best. His short stories are really good, and I always thought his smaller books were better than his giant epic ones (although I always have a soft spot for Needful Things). Also hsi stuff written as Richard Bachman is all really good, among his best work.

Also it's really remarkable not only how prolific he's been, but the sheer amount of his stuff that's been filmed. Especially since most of it isn't series stuff or using the same characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

If you guys like gore/splatter/exploitation/giallo/SOV stuff, there's a new streaming service called the Midnight Movie Society that has a HUGE selection of really great stuff, everything from 60s gore to 80s to modern underground stuff. Really impressed with the curation, it's got the quality of shudder but specifically for more extreme flicks. It's even got all the old sex poo poo like Emmanuelle which I'm not into but if u are you should sign up. I'm not affiliated with the company i just thought other ppl might be interested its 5 bucks a month

Definitely gonna do a trial of this.