Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Radish posted:

Why would you let your kid watch his mom say that she wishes he was never born??? Dad needs to work on his loving his kid for the both of them a bit.

It's not necessarily something he had any foreknowledge of/control over, and he was probably preoccupied with trying to deal with her illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Even then when you are discussing that sort of thing anyone there should probably have the foresight not to leave the door open and the kid outside.

I know the real answer is from a story telling perspective he needed to see it but seriously it's just so over the top cruel.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Radish posted:

Even then when you are discussing that sort of thing anyone there should probably have the foresight not to leave the door open and the kid outside.

I know the real answer is from a story telling perspective he needed to see it but seriously it's just so over the top cruel.

Welcome to Fruits Basket in a nutshell

It only gets worse from here~

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just want to say that Twintail Tohru is good.

e: GREAT TEACHER MAYUKO

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 14, 2019

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That first bit of the new intro messes with me, I keep thinking it's going to turn into Roundabout.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The stuff with Uo and Kyoko is really awesome.

Who the hell are these 3 new rando girls trying to act tough?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I don't know why they switched to a happy opening song now that every episode is depressing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't know why they switched to a happy opening song now that every episode is depressing.

It's all bittersweet. The most recent episode especially. Uo and Kyoko are two of the greatest fictional characters ever and their interactions with everyone are just awesome to watch.

I want to be just like them IRL except I don't want to be dead or from a broken home with an alcoholic dad and a violent hosed up childhood. But maybe that's what it takes to be as amazing as they are.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The part after the ED was great.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

The part after the ED was great.

Felt a lot like the girl segments from Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm catching up since I'm two weeks behind, but now I'm dying.

Kyoko was so cool and good and I'm legitimately bummed out that she's gone. I adore Tohru's momfriends, but god drat it they shouldn't have to be both those things to her :(

Delita
Jan 6, 2005
This episode really shows how much trust her old friends are putting in these boys she's living with now since they know very well that Tohru only had them to take care of her.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Feels like most mothers in anime die and are completely forgotten about or do absolutely nothing for anyone ever

Then you have Furuba and Kyoko's present throughout the vast majority of it, even indirectly and it's great

Uotani and Hanajima are the best mothers Tohru could ask for

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ganbare, Kisa-san.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seriously, series, stop calling out my trauma and making me relate to your characters' suffering. I can only cry so much.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Need to catch up on this. Just finished catching up with Symphogear, so this is next. Also Funimation may actually get me to buy physical media ITYOOL 2019.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I'd forgotten just how good this is.

..are my old Tokyopop editions of the manga good enough, or should I double-dip and get the more recent version instead? Learning Japanese and getting the originals would be the best, but in the interim I want a stop-gap here.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:siren:

:siren:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hmm, latest episode does feel like it has a bit of dated humour. Happy ending as usual though thanks to Tohru-kun.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'd highly recommend that people check out the original version of this week's episode. It's by far the funniest thing in the series, and the direction is like Shinbou despite airing before he became a brand.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
Man, the images during the ED are absolutely stunning.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Treating suicide like a joke hasn't aged particularly well, and Hiro is an absolute little poo poo and I love him

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hanajima is too powerful. As is her little brother.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/bLANp4F.gifv

I hope we get to see more evil Tohru

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I forgot how horrific bullying was in Japan back in the day

21-22 were quite the gut-punch

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Vinylshadow posted:

I forgot how horrific bullying was in Japan back in the day

21-22 were quite the gut-punch

Uhhh it's still really bad. Not that America is meaningfully better.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

Uhhh it's still really bad. Not that America is meaningfully better.

You'd think we'd learn, but naaaaaah...

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
So that was... A twist.

Is this supposed to be like Youkai rules, where centuries of ill will towards the cat have disformed the spirit?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

For various reasons I'm about 6 episodes behind, although I suspect I know the answer I have to ask: is it still really good?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

a kitten posted:

For various reasons I'm about 6 episodes behind, although I suspect I know the answer I have to ask: is it still really good?

It's still a solid adaptation, but some things lack the emotional resonance of the first anime (especially the stuff in the most recent episode).

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I think this is where the original anime ended so looking forward to the rest of the show. Though it is killing me that this show feels like a bland version of the first one, other then Momiji's voice, which is really distracting (and thankfully he's not in it as much as he was in the first show).

Are they missing anything from the book yet, I know they haven't done Ayame's shop yet, but I keep feeling like we're missing stuff.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Yawgmoft posted:

So that was... A twist.

Is this supposed to be like Youkai rules, where centuries of ill will towards the cat have disformed the spirit?

Probably not.

IIRC there's never an outright explanation for what the deal is with the Cat, but there is something that seems like a reason for it once you read between the lines a little.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Not a fan of Kyo's voice when he's without his beads

Was it too much to just ask the VA to pitch his voice down or do it in post?

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
this show has really good episodes when people have conversations that aren’t filled with nonsense screaming, like this one

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:toot:

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1175154679287709696?s=19

Hopefully i can catch up by then

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Awww man I was hoping it'd be uninterrupted seasons.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
For never having watched the original this was a really fun ride. Really high adorable highs and gut punching lows. Just seems really well written and a series of amazing character studies.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Coxswain Balls posted:

Awww man I was hoping it'd be uninterrupted seasons.

We already knew they wouldn't be, I mean, the title straight up says "Season One". That has a meaning. Plus, it's better this way, this long of a series needs breaks to properly give animators time to do their job. Rushing that gives bad results.

Vahtooch posted:

For never having watched the original this was a really fun ride. Really high adorable highs and gut punching lows. Just seems really well written and a series of amazing character studies.

I agree! This series is super good, it's gotten me to cry and resonate with characters and that's one hell of a thing. Can't wait for S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Blaze Dragon posted:

We already knew they wouldn't be, I mean, the title straight up says "Season One". That has a meaning.

I never watch shows that are more than 26 episodes so my apologies for not knowing how this stuff works, I guess!