Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is Kevin Nash's best match from a workrate point of view?

When he fought Thomas Jane in The Punisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Probably his match with Bret at Survivor Series 1995.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

vs Bret at SS95, most likely

edit: although it's close with the match with HBK where he ripped off Mad Dog Vachon's fake leg and used it as a weapon

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I recall his match with Taker at WM being surprisingly watchable for early in the Streak.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Definitely Bret, but this is a man who went home instead of doing a job to the point that it extended to his role in John Wick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You're talking about a man who did all the work in a five-man match, and only lost when he pinned himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzxcnfgpaS0

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wrong, it was that one match in TNA where he did an armdrag

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

You're talking about a man who did all the work in a five-man match, and only lost when he pinned himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzxcnfgpaS0

Please, that was just a spot fest to get some out of towners over.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My favorite thing about Super Shredder is that the ooze made his costume's blades bigger, too.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Helicity posted:

Is there an effort post somewhere on how/why Inoki almost destroyed NJPW?

I know this was a few pages back but I have a slightly different take on this era that I wanted to share - I'd actually argue that in the long run that era was beneficial to New Japan.

Key thing to remember is that it wasn't just NJPW declining in that period: it was literally everyone; an industry wide thing. NOAH managed to do a fair few strong big shows (including the two big Dome shows) but if you look its all with nostalgia main events; Misawa and Kobashi remained on top and they never could elavate anyone to fill that spot and by the late 2000s they'd burned through a lot of those matches and were going down. Every other wrestling company had a weak decade as well: Dragon Gate were formed and had a decent run but they were never a top tier promotion at the level of a New Japan; everyone else basically struggled through the decade. Hell look at Joshi: the whole scene cratered in the 2000s where most of the old companies died or massively shrunk and by the late 2000s you had a couple of companies like Sendai Girls and WAVE trying to be more old school in front of no fans; and then the idol-based promotions that sort of formed the base of Stardom doing better but also tending to be a lot more short lived and dying as quickly as they formed. Lots of reasons for this - the economy was in decline throughout the entire decade, you had the MMA boom taking a lot of fans away etc etc.

When you take that into account the decision to look at MMA and the success of Pride and think "hey we should capitalise on this" makes sense: they saw that same old same old stuff wasn't going to work for much longer especially since the inter promotional feuds that they'd done for the back half of the 1990s were almost all burned out after the All Japan feud. They went in a new direction and it actually worked in the short term - going with Bob Sapp was entirely sensible since he was a big star in Japan (although perhaps stripping him because he lost a shoot fight was dumb) and although the numbers are all worked from what reliable stuff we do have they didn't really fall off the wagon properly until later on; and even when they did they were still the biggest company in the country. The Lesnar stuff stunk but that was all post-Inoki and really from a point where they didn't really have an identity or an idea to what they wanted to be. I'm perhaps biased since I genuinely like the matches from that era of New Japan but I think a lot of the takes on this are incredibly simplistic.

Why was it for the best long term? It cleared out the top of the card of a lot of people who'd been around forever and where the natural tendency would be to go back to in order to draw a big house. This basically forced them to use new stars very quickly and they already had Nakamura ready there from the Inoki days (although the excursion to Mexico is what really made him) as a top level person; Tanahashi was there as well and you had a dojo class that had Okada and Naito in it starting out during that period. When you compare them to NOAH; New Japan almost had to give main event matches to their younger talent since they didn't really have anyone else while NOAH always could go back to Misawa-Kobashi; or do a dream match like a Misawa-Mutoh or appeal to the past, and so when they couldn't anymore they really had no one at the same level of stardom (as much as I like Marafuji and KENTA they never got there). Its the same thing that WWF had in the mid 90s where the old main eventers left so they had to push newer guys to fill the gap and when they found their guy (who they'd never have pushed had the old dudes been there) it worked; or for a more modern example Stardom since Kairi Sane and Io Shirai left basically had to push a lot of their younger people to fill the gap and its actually led to them becoming a significantly better promotion to watch plus helped their business since they've got new fans. It took New Japan a long time to build back up again but they're back again and its mostly with (relatively) young home grown stars that they had to build up from nothing.

Plus New Japan's worst business years were actually in the very late 2000s when the person on top was, err, Hiroshi Tanahashi. Just that they bottomed out at that point and grew from there while NOAH and others kept on falling.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 16, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

El Dandy was the best wrestler in the world for a while in the early 90s
Eh, I doubt that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Eh, I doubt that.
:catstare:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Eh, I doubt that.
J-Ru, please ban

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Halloween Jack posted:

Eh, I doubt that.

Maybe once at like 3am for about an hour when every other wrestler in the world was either asleep or passed out. Then I guess technically his post is correct.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Maybe once at like 3am for about an hour when every other wrestler in the world was either asleep or passed out. Then I guess technically his post is correct.

Who are you to doubt El Dandy?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I really hope some day people start appreciating Dandy as more than just a meme. The Negro Casas and Santo matches are all incredible.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I watched both those el dandy matches people posted last time there was a doubter. I dont remember if they were uwa or what promotion but el dandy had a hardcore, think AAA style match and the other was more of a CMLL match and both were a good lucha thing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Whoosh

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I wish WWE signed him. He would have been the perfect spokesman for their social media video product.

"Who are you to Tout El Dandy?"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I appreciate this choice of emote, considering the Hart clan's love of cats.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

frankenfreak posted:

I appreciate this choice of emote, considering the Hart clan's love of cats.

That's why I used it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Halloween Jack posted:

Eh, I doubt that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Alaois posted:

wrong, it was that one match in TNA where he did an armdrag
The crowd erupted in a "this is awesome" chant for that, so Big Kev keeps proving you should work smarter, not harder.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MassRafTer posted:

I really hope some day people start appreciating Dandy as more than just a meme. The Negro Casas and Santo matches are all incredible.

No matter what accomplishments other wrestlers claim, until Shinichiro Watanabe makes an anime tribute to you like they did for Dandy, you ain't poo poo.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Endless Mike posted:

That's why I used it!
You're good people.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Diesel/Michaels vs. Ramon/1-2-3

Nash more than pulled his weight in that imo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

What was the story pitch that was so bad it struck Vince -Vince - dumb for like a minute and then he just got up and left the room?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

What was the story pitch that was so bad it struck Vince -Vince - dumb for like a minute and then he just got up and left the room?

I think a writer pitched that the guy who eventually became Heidenreich would be a frozen Nazi from World War II who gets unfrozen and decided to become a wrestler.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Jerusalem posted:

I think a writer pitched that the guy who eventually became Heidenreich would be a frozen Nazi from World War II who gets unfrozen and decided to become a wrestler.

Heidenreich was weird because of all that worked stuff where he attacked a kid as a heel, then becoming friendly to them after turning face. He was kind of funny after the latter (or maybe it's my teenage nostalgia).

Could anyone tell me more about Bob Sapp? I understand that he became quite popular in Japan... was he legit good? He mostly looked goofy to me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I think part of the pitch was that he'd also be managed by Heyman, to ratchet up the offensivness

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

ah yes that’s the one

I was reminded of it becaus I was thinking of the dumbest and worst possible ending to the cuck storyline and came up with what if the father was the ghost of Harley Race

E: or the ghost of Chris Benoit, turn it into a proper Rosemary’s Baby horror movie kind of angle

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 17, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

ah yes that’s the one

I was reminded of it becaus I was thinking of the dumbest and worst possible ending to the cuck storyline and came up with what if the father was the ghost of Harley Race

E: or the ghost of Chris Benoit, turn it into a proper Rosemary’s Baby horror movie kind of angle

they could use the hologram technology they used with Tupac to have Benoit make an appearance.

i can't act like i wouldn't be glued to the screen while this car wreck happened, however.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok. Now I keep hearing that Maria and Mike Kanellis took Vince for a ride to the tune of 500k/year.
is that their combined contracts or each?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok. Now I keep hearing that Maria and Mike Kanellis took Vince for a ride to the tune of 500k/year.
is that their combined contracts or each?

I'm not sure, every time I've ever read a report on it, it's always worded as,"Mike and Maria signed for 500k a year" with no distinction where it was each or as a combined act. Even if it is "only" 2.5 million they grifted out of Vince McMahon, that's not bad for a bare minimum guaranteed yearly salary for the next few years. The REALLY important thing is that they grifted him and he's totally not mad about it at all nosiree he's totally fine he's perfectly cool and good and unbothered by the whole thing!

That said, at the time they made the deal, the story going round was that WWE had shifted to 5 year contracts and was making 500k a year the standard offer to try and keep people from going to AEW which they're also totally unconcerned and not shook by why it's pure coincidence they moved NXT to USA on Wednesdays 2 weeks before AEW's new show started on the same day what a stroke of luck! so I would not be at all surprised if Mike and Maria are getting 500k a year each.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 17, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I still think 'grift' is relative in this context if MRT stating that WWE only shared about 8% of it's profits with the workers (not even taking into account stuff like travel). More like 'they are making money closer to what they deserve relative to the success of the company' is accurate. (Which I think he based on the Observer...this is back during the big New York 64 podcast)

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The league minimum for a first-year player in Major League Baseball is about $500K/yr, for perspective. Not guaranteed, and they go back to making pennies if they're sent to the minors, but still.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

I still think 'grift' is relative in this context

They signed a deal for big guaranteed money to keep them away from other promotions, knowing that Maria at least was going to be out of action for a significant portion of it due to pregnancy that WWE wasn't aware of yet, and they wouldn't have been able to get signed elsewhere anyway. By the time WWE found out, the contracts were already signed and too loving bad, you got grifted Vince McMahon :hellyeah:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that the same Maria that Mick Foley had a problem with? I never read his third book and didn't pay attention to TNA or anything at the time, what was with that whole debacle?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

They signed a deal for big guaranteed money to keep them away from other promotions, knowing that Maria at least was going to be out of action for a significant portion of it due to pregnancy that WWE wasn't aware of yet, and they wouldn't have been able to get signed elsewhere anyway. By the time WWE found out, the contracts were already signed and too loving bad, you got grifted Vince McMahon :hellyeah:

I think it's messed up to say a woman signing a contract and getting pregnant is somehow a grift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

Could anyone tell me more about Bob Sapp? I understand that he became quite popular in Japan... was he legit good? He mostly looked goofy to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dCNym6sO3E