Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

e X posted:

That honestly doesn't sound all that great...

I don't really think Carcer's original character really works any longer, either. I especially do not want to hear a white Vimes giving his "the system works" speech to a black actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't really think Carcer's original character really works any longer, either. I especially do not want to hear a white Vimes giving his "the system works" speech to a black actor.

Maybe, but there is really no reason to use him at all. And what I am worried about is that his character doesn't sound very Pratchett, but it doesn't sound pretty generic prestige TV drama.

edit: Like, and I admit that might be somewhat of a stretch, but the image that comes immediately to mind is him trying to "break" Carrot, because he is so idealistic and naive.

e X fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 12, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

David Mitchell as death.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jerry Cotton posted:

David Mitchell as death.

Gods, yes. It'd be absurd and delightful. But who'd be Albert?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Rob Brydon

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

He has to play the imp in the dis-organizer so that he can get some mileage from his tiny-man-trapped-in-a-box voice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mad Hamish posted:

Gods, yes. It'd be absurd and delightful. But who'd be Albert?

Is David Jason still alive and not in jail for sex crimes?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

David Mitchell has too many chins imo. Death ideally only has the one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tooterfish posted:

David Mitchell has too many chins imo. Death ideally only has the one.

Like, are they going to have death on-screen as just a guy with skull face paint? If so, that's a problem, yeah.

In that case it's either Bruce or one of the Chuckle Brothers, can't remember which one.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Doesn't matter, I'll still be able to hear the extra chins!

And I hate to keep talking ideals, but ideally you'd want the Chuckle Brother that isn't dead. It's hard to get a decent day's work out people who've shuffled off the old mortal coil. I blame the unions.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tooterfish posted:

Doesn't matter, I'll still be able to hear the extra chins!

And I hate to keep talking ideals, but ideally you'd want the Chuckle Brother that isn't dead. It's hard to get a decent day's work out people who've shuffled off the old mortal coil. I blame the unions.

Less make-up.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

True.

It's a big role though, he might be a bit stiff for the part. And you can forget about riding the horse, no one's signing off on that. Not after what happened to Reeve.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tooterfish posted:

True.

It's a big role though, he might be a bit stiff for the part. And you can forget about riding the horse, no one's signing off on that. Not after what happened to Reeve.

Barnacle Jim as pale horse.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like most voices for Death flop because they try to do intense bass and this doesn't really work when you actually have to hear it.

I like the voice they used for Death in that one recording of Thief of Time with a bunch of different actors. He didn't try to pitch deep but just went incredibly calm and uninflected.

(I would really love to see some alternate recordings of Discworld novels, maybe with a full cast to do the voices. I'd particularly like to see the witches as narrated by women.)

(Also, Angua should have a strong Eastern-European-aristocracy accent. It bugs me when the books give her a lower-class British voice.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

strong Eastern-European-aristocracy accent.

You mean flawless French, English, German, and Russian? (And possibly the language of their home country.)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Rand Brittain posted:

(Also, Angua should have a strong Eastern-European-aristocracy accent. It bugs me when the books give her a lower-class British voice.)

I'd have assumed her not having a distinctive accent would been part of her wanting to distance herself from her family. They were very... traditional in that regard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like most voices for Death flop because they try to do intense bass and this doesn't really work when you actually have to hear it.

Christopher Lee did a great job. So did Ian Richardson. Sadly they are neither of them with us now. James Earl Jones could do it - Death should sound a lot like Vader but with slight echo instead of electronic processing - but he is pushing 90 and I wouldn't want them to have to recast halfway through.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rand Brittain posted:

Death's voice is described as the sound of leaden coffin lids slamming closed and that feels like hella bass is called for, though? I don't feel that it has to be super deep - I did earlier say that David Mitchell would be hilarious - but I can understand why they often go for it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Christopher Lee was absolutely the best voice for Death. He had the perfect strength behind it. I feel like Ian Richardson was slightly too weak at that point.

GO’s Death with Brian Cox was terrible.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, he's played by a black actor because they chose to cast a black actor. And why doesn't Carcee's original character work any longer? Not every villian has to have a sympathetic backstory justifying his villainy. You can still just have a bad guy who's a bad guy.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Camrath posted:

Bit worried by how young the actres they've picked for Sybil is. She's meant to be a matronly type in (I'm guesing) her 40s.

The big thing about Sybil is that she's supposed to be heavy. Lara Rossi looks...not heavy.

narm00 posted:

From the press releases, it looks like they're taking bits from across the Watch books, including Night Watch. E.g.: we've got a newbie Carrot joining a disempowered Watch (Guards! Guards!), which has Angua and Cheery (who joined in Men at Arms), with Angua as Carrot's mentor.

That said, there's distinct implications of messing with time as the main plot.

And I'm really not sure how I feel about that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Fighting Trousers posted:

And I'm really not sure how I feel about that.

Depends what she's mentoring him in ;)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Depends what she's mentoring him in ;)

Oh, Angua's definitely more experienced than Carrot on multiple fronts, wink wink nudge nudge. Which may be why the idea of her mentoring him feels weird. When a mentor figure also becomes a sexual partner, that starts getting into some tricky territory. Plus, Angus was a diversity hire after Guards, Guards. Why would a female werewolf who's always been running away from something be a part of the shabby boys club of the pre-Carrot Night Watch?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Why would a female werewolf who's always been running away from something be a part of the shabby boys club of the pre-Carrot Night Watch?

If I pare the question down to just that, it seems pretty obvious that the answer is 'because no one else would take her'. It's just changing the timing of when she joined the Guards.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

When a mentor figure also becomes a sexual partner, that starts getting into some tricky territory.

That’s already the case in the book I feel, here they just switched the roles.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The Angua/Carrot dynamic was that they both slightly confounded each other, highlighting each other's blindspots, while helping them become more aware of how to deal with the problems of those blindspots. They benefit each other, and either could be the others superior provided they listened to and respected the other.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Why would a female werewolf who's always been running away from something be a part of the shabby boys club of the pre-Carrot Night Watch?

I could be wrong, but I'm getting the impression that this thing is going to start with Carrot joining an already expanded City Watch.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Avalerion posted:

That’s already the case in the book I feel, here they just switched the roles.

True, though Carrot comes across as so simple and naïve (even though he isn't, really), it never really read that way to me. And there's the whole "trying to giftwrap the city" angle. He wants her to love A-M just as much as he does, but what keeps her there is him (and to a lesser degree, Vimes).

Epicurius posted:

I could be wrong, but I'm getting the impression that this thing is going to start with Carrot joining an already expanded City Watch.

Yeah, this is obviously a remix, not an adaptation, which seems like a missed opportunity, but oh well.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Good omens suffered for being too close to the books so I’m not opposed to them taking a lighter approach here.

Especially if it means not having to wait for say Cherry and Detridus.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

So long as we get the dwarfs vs trolls confrontation from Men at Arms.

"It Troll New Year".

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Avalerion posted:

Especially if it means not having to wait for say Cherry and Detridus.

No casting for Detritus yet, and Cheery isn't being described as a dwarf in any of the marketing stuff so far.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Oh ...well that’s def going too far then, could be another Rook situation which would suck.

quote:

...Constable Cheery, the ingenious non-binary forensics expert, ostracized by their kin and finding a new home and identity...

The ostracized by their kin sounds like she’s still a dwarf though, or who else would be “their kin”. And there’s her name itself too.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 16, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If they're gonna have Detritus at all he really needs to be a recurring minor antagonist for the first season.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Avalerion posted:

The ostracized by their kin sounds like she’s still a dwarf though, or who else would be “their kin”. And there’s her name itself too.

Could just be a person disowned by their family for being non-binary.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Epicurius posted:

No casting for Detritus yet, and Cheery isn't being described as a dwarf in any of the marketing stuff so far.

They gonna get their guhooloog heads kicked in if they don't have Detritus.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Avalerion posted:

The ostracized by their kin sounds like she’s still a dwarf though
It doesn't, because Discworld dwarves are non-binary by default.

Cheery is ostracised for presenting as female.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Found one more bit that I'm not sure how to feel about : Sybil 's a what now? :confuoot:

quote:

Lara Rossi (Crossing Lines) as as the formidable Lady Sybil Ramkin, last scion of Ankh-Morpork’s nobility, who’s trying to fix the city’s wrongs with her chaotic vigilantism;

Though at least dwarves aren't cut entirely, Carrot's still explicitly called out as being raised by them.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 16, 2019

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Dragonwoman?

I guess they decided Terry would have had some things to say about the MCU?

Not feeling great about this. I'll watch it but I'm gonna be calibrating the hell out of my expectations.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Okay, this is starting to sound loving awful tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's going to be an off-brand Batman remake.