Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

The company structure of CI, a work by M.Escher

e: doubletaxxe

Hazamuth fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm downloading things at the same time as I'm trying to see what that taxxe JPEG is and it's appearing line by line like in the 28.8k modem era. It's very nostalgic. :allears:

CaressMeGently
May 12, 2019

Der Shovel posted:

I'm currently working as a research programmer at a university. Basically this means that when researchers need some software made for their projects, I help them make it, or just outright make it myself.

Recently I've been working on VR stuff as part of a project that studies player experiences in VR, and the various factors that negatively or positively affect it (basically what will come out of this will be a set of guidelines for what to do and what not to do if you want to make a fun, playable VR experience).

One of the very central "underline this poo poo three times so you don't forget" concepts is that you should be VERY careful about taking vision control away from the player. Don't do canned animations where the player's field of view is manipulated by the game and ignoring the player's actual head position, because that's a Autobahn speed shortcut to vomit city.

I bring this up in the Star Citizen thread because cultists insist that VR support is coming and it will just be a case of ... I dunno, refactoring the graphics pipeline full stack backend occlusion containers to V2.1, or whatever the gently caress, and then CIG can put "vr-support = 1" into the config files and away we go.

It's hilarious to think how miserable playing Star Citizen in VR would be. You need fast, steady framerates (90+ minimum, for two independent displays basically), you need to consider FoV and design your entire UI around VR. Even if CIG somehow did that, crobbert's genius "drunken sailor headbob, first person motion captured cinematic loving looks around my plane's cockpit before I take off" is just fundamentally incompatible with how VR games work.

I remember our VR guy telling CR not to take cam control off of the player specifically when the player is getting into the ship as it would make the player sick as a loving dog.

Needless to say, CR knows better.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hi citizens,

So some discussion was recently happening in the Not A Scam thread around frigates, the NPC-controlled ships you land on and fix because you can only hire ship captains not engineers. One of the first things you notice when you gently caress up these maintenance quests is if you fall off the frigate you fall straight down - down being relative to your orientation - until the game decides you're too far away and kills you.

Now since the frigates were patched in - for free - after the whole game was released I figured that the reason you fall down was because when you land on them they were pretend-planets with no floor, so effectively you just hit the 'kill zone' map boundaries.

Well, I ate crow for suggesting this because it turns out that not only are they not faked in the way I thought, but you can "EVA" seamlessly all the way from "planet to pupil", even in VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ1YmUypTL0

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

CaressMeGently posted:

I remember our VR guy telling CR not to take cam control off of the player specifically when the player is getting into the ship as it would make the player sick as a loving dog.

Needless to say, CR knows better.

It's ok, they can pick up a bucket with their grabby hands afterwards.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Ghostlight posted:

it turns out that not only are they not faked in the way I thought, but you can "EVA" seamlessly all the way from "planet to pupil", even in VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ1YmUypTL0

Yeah but have you ever seen a Gek mopping? They've got some cheek calling that a frigate.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 16, 2019

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

quote:

I have a lot of industry friends pat me on the back and say, “Wow, it must be so great to be operating in profit even before you ship!” Their look usually turns to incredulity when I explain that my intention is for all the money we bring in before launch to be spent on development.

No profits, just a purchased a 4.7 million dollar mansion....

What is profit? :iiam:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

[fnord]For everybody above Angel OA, I made a secret thread in the Paranormal subforum to clear the air about Mockingbird.[/fnord]

I heard star citizen is bad and is a scam

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Kosumo posted:

If the only useful thing to come out of star Citizen is that some goon in this thread points me to some nice tequila to try, so be it.

I've just currently started drink tequila about a month ago instead of beer and am ready to sample recommendations.

p.s. tanequila

Drinking really good tequila in shots is a waste. Try Don Julio's "70" (I think it's called), a white anejo. Also do not overlook Mezcal. Vago Ensemble en Barro is the nectar of the Gods.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

DigitalPenny posted:

Renting boats in Monaco is a legitimate development expense. Obviously.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zzr posted:

Star citizen : not a game, and also not a game.

Released, yet not released.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Prawned posted:

I thought Robert's brother was making the single player and he was a semi competent game developer

The impression i have is yes, but also when Erin says things like "How about we focus on core features first and get those shipped" Chris then shouts "FIDELITY", waves his arms, and tells Erin to do something not necessary.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sometimes you just gotta let your children leave the nest, man. Never thought I'd see the day.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

The impression i have is yes, but also when Erin says things like "How about we focus on core features first and get those shipped" Chris then shouts "FIDELITY", waves his arms, and tells Erin to do something not necessary.

Isn't that how the UK studio became the hub? The team around Chris could only churn out JPEGs, if you wanted anything in the model viewer that had to get the UK to help, as Erin had a team that were actually producing stuff....

Erin and co was sent more and more JPEGs to the point they could make no progress on sq42, they restructured and shut down that Austin ? Office and made the UK office even bigger, as thats the only place where stuff was working also they have tax credits.

Now years later its obvious the problem with the restructuring did not address the real problem. Now CR flys first class to the UK and hampers progress of an even larger team.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMgt9Dv5A20

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It looks so good until the very first moment the ships have to interact with anything

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Oh hey...ships literally handle exactly the same as I remember them back in 2014. Zero progress on that in five years.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

CrazyLoon posted:

Oh hey...ships literally handle exactly the same as I remember them back in 2014. Zero progress on that in five years.

This is a shining example of staggered development you see they had a team asking what they should be working on and Chris staggered over and told them to make some mortherfuckin jpegs

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I heard they fired the guy who wrote BL2 and made it funny. Is the new one funny?

Take a wayback machine to reddit 10 years ago and read /r/funny for the same experience as BL3.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I heard they fired the guy who wrote BL2 and made it funny. Is the new one funny?

None of them were ever particularly funny, so yeah. And no. It's BL 2.5.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

DigitalPenny posted:

Isn’t the house owned by a foundation also, to add to the intricate financial arrangement?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It's the Roberts Family Trust. So when they come for Chris Roberts money they can't go after his house since he doesn't own it.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Sandweed posted:

It's the Roberts Family Trust. So when they come for Chris Roberts money they can't go after his house since he doesn't own it.

Not sure how trusts work in some the US, so I could be wrong here but the nature of trusts means It can not have any debt. Maybe ortwin has some next level finance wizardry going on but in theory there is no mortgage on said house.

Yes it does add a very strong layer of protection, but there are some ways around it.

Usually people at a high risk of being sued use em, doctors, lawyers, accountants & The very rich.

Guess I did not know game dev was a highly paid and risky profession...

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 16, 2019

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A reminder to the citizen lurkers, courtesy of the Propaganda thread:

:pgabz: We aim to serve :kheldragar: :pgabz:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

13 September 2019: No

Squadron 42 Official Release Date: -993 days

Can you move around your ship without falling out: No

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

14 September 2019: No

Squadron 42 Official Release Date: -994 days

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

15 September 2019: No

Squadron 42 Official Release Date: -995 days

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

trucutru posted:

The great wheel of Shitsara, according to the backers.

Ah yes, all that violence SA ex-backers have executed.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Someone who reads this thread every day once tried to strangle (allegedly) Chris Roberts.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Sandweed posted:

Someone who reads this thread every day once tried to strangle (allegedly) Chris Roberts.

My guess : she's a relative of someone who's has been lesnicked.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sandweed posted:

Surely that person does not have a platinum account then.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Zzr posted:

My guess : she's a relative of someone who's has been lesnicked.

The Lesnick Maneuver

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DigitalPenny posted:

Not sure how trusts work in some the US, so I could be wrong here but the nature of trusts means It can not have any debt. Maybe ortwin has some next level finance wizardry going on but in theory there is no mortgage on said house.

Yes it does add a very strong layer of protection, but there are some ways around it.

Usually people at a high risk of being sued use em, doctors, lawyers, accountants & The very rich.

Guess I did not know game dev was a highly paid and risky profession...

Who said anything about Chris still being a game dev?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hazamuth posted:

The Lesnick Maneuver

What's that? Cutting in line at the Golden Corral buffet?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Bofast posted:

Who said anything about Chris still being a game dev?

Chris

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

skeletors_condom posted:

Anyone want to help me develop a new game called Scam Crowdfunder Tycoon (also know as SC Tycoon).

It will be a business sim where the main challenge will be to keep maintaining crowdfunding revenue for an indefinite period.

Something like "Mad Games Tycoon" or "Game Dev Tycoon" but instead of real games you make fake demos, 3D assets and some other BS. There will also be a "send money to Swiss Bank" game mechanic like in the original Tropico.

They are "making" it.

I'll make it. Anyone itt who sends me $100 will get a copy of the game once it's finished. If you send me $200, the game will automatically adjust your score to make sure you're higher on the global leaderboard than the people who spent $100.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Do you take bitcoin? I’d like to use a non-reversible transaction method to show how dedicated I am to your cause

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Would you take a grey market Idris? Its value can only go up! Who knows how valuable it could turn out to be in the year 2456, when Star Citizen goes into early beta...

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mr Fronts posted:

Would you take a grey market Idris? Its value can only go up! Who knows how valuable it could turn out to be in the year 2456, when Star Citizen goes into early beta...

Sorry New Money only :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Thanks to the goon who recommended Starsector.

I spent all weekend playing it.