Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JerryLee posted:

I think Narset's passive is an excellent thing to have on a playable card, but I could buy that maybe it shouldn't be a blue card.

Then again, modern Magic is basically the five colors passing around the "be a blood-filled blister on the anus of the format" pipe, so I'm not sure what color you could put it in that wouldn't eventually end up being the fun police.

green

tell me what the gently caress green does to tell you to stop drawing cards

e: priest of forgotten gods t2, t3 acolyte of flame chandra is an absurd lock if you don't have removal.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just beat the event for the 38th time and now I'm done with this stupid poo poo. Honestly, feeling like there were some stakes involved in the games was kind of fun, and seeing a number of different decks I hadn't seen before was cool (if I really hated it, I obviously would have either spent $10 for the levels or said gently caress it), but it's still kind of a relief to be done so I can just play more casually and/or draft until Eldraine.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 15, 2019

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Sinteres posted:

Just beat the event for the 38th time and now I'm done with this stupid poo poo. Honestly, feeling like there were some stakes involved in the games was kind of fun, and seeing a number of different decks I hadn't seen before was cool (if I really hated it, I obviously would have either spent $10 for the levels or said gently caress it), but it's still kind of a relief to be done so I can just play more casually and/or draft until Eldraine.

Dude, that's pretty insane to grind them all out in a row. What deck did you have most success with?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

salt shakeup posted:

Dude, that's pretty insane to grind them all out in a row. What deck did you have most success with?

Putting it in writing did make it feel crazier to me, but fortunately I tended to be pretty lucky and my game 2 winrate was pretty solid, so it wasn't as bad as it sounds--I never really went past the 15 daily wins except by one or two, and don't think i finished them every day. I mostly played a Boros mentor deck modified from the precon to add more of Tajic, Aurelia and the skynights that I got from drafting since I only started playing in July and didn't want to burn a bunch of wildcards before rotation. It plays fast enough that games tended to be pretty quick, and holds up well against cavalcade. Simic flash games were miserable though.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 16, 2019

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Narset doesn't even stop Light Up The Stage, Experimental Frenzy, or Risen Reef. Not to mention Kethis combo which gets its massive card advantage through the graveyard. It's perfectly fine in Standard.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
No but you see, my deck is very bad and I lose with it a lot, so I'm going to laser-focus on one particular card as the sole reason for all my losses

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Arglebargle III posted:

Legion's End and Witch's Vengeance don't trade efficiently against Field of the Dead, as nuts as that sounds. I do mean mono black control. I tried to put my current mono black control deck together in M20 preview and it was bumpy going.

What exactly is trade efficiently here because it sounds like you want it to wipe their board and also Unmoored Ego all their Fields.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wiping the board doesn't do much when your opponent is generating an endless supply of 2/2s. It's purely getting you tempo, you haven't actually answered the threat.

If you want to beat Field, you need some pressure of your own.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well yes presumably by the time they have a giant fuckoff board you have a big flying demon or something to punch em in the face.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jabor posted:

Wiping the board doesn't do much when your opponent is generating an endless supply of 2/2s. It's purely getting you tempo, you haven't actually answered the threat.

If you want to beat Field, you need some pressure of your own.

This is true, when I'm playing Fields I end up wiping my board more often than the opponent does

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I've been grinding the event all week. I've played quite a few decks. Highest win rate by far has been a Golos Field of the dead Gates deck so far.

I love elementals. I've tried a few different versions of a Yarok/Dread presence deck which is super fun when it goes off but is way too inconsistent. Also played a lot of temur elementals. I got really, really tired of my risen reef never resolving or if it did resolve, never surviving through my opponents turn.

Ran a bunch of bant and simic ramp. It's fun to ramp into something huge but it happens so infrequently I just stopped.

Played a lot of grixis as well. Tried aggro and control. It felt like whichever version I was running I'd queue into lots of decks designed to beat my archetype. So I'd swap and then the meta would shift back.

I also played a little simic flash. I can't stand the deck and hate playing against it with a passion, so I decided to join the dark side and play it in order to better understand it's weaknesses. It had the 2nd highest win% for me. The deck is almost as un-fun to play as it is to play against.

I haven't tried feather, cavalcade, priest of the forgotten gods, azorious flyers or esper control/heros.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

I still kinda wonder how mono black got through its standard season without a banning. It was like two-thirds of top eights for two seasons and people just didn't complain that much?

Then again people have some weird rear end fondness for that archetype, going back to the torment deck, even though the torment deck was atrocious poo poo boring gameplay to the pro max.

Now Wake, Wake was a real deck.

hell yeah wake owned, first real deck I made too

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hell yeah Dino power

https://twitter.com/boomerangkevin/status/1173424942827921408?s=19

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was like “Every Red deck is bad now” but that’s a good RDW instead of a dumb & bad Cavalcade deck, thank goodness.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Literally any time I see a deck that is not rotation-proof at this point I'm like "Eh reading this seems useless to me now"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
no deck is rotation-proof, the new cards change the meta which makes your deck worse even if it doesn't technically lose any cards

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jabor posted:

no deck is rotation-proof, the new cards change the meta which makes your deck worse even if it doesn't technically lose any cards
Completely this. It's really frustrating since people introduce the rotation to new players with the whole "Rotation proof" horseshit. And no one ever remembers the lesson of Black/Green zombies I swear!

I mean not that anyone should since it was a non-deck, but eh, that's the point.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah but if I didn't have those cards now I wouldn't think about crafting them (I don't plan to play Historic), so I'm just gonna continue what I'm doing and grind with suboptimal decks from 6 months ago while I use the incomplete spoilers to theorycraft Tier 3 jank

Edit: A Wolf Deck will work, I just know it, that's my goal for the new set

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 16, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's like a hundred more cards in the set and you only need one really good one to define an entire archetype (ie Field of the Dead). Trying to theory craft a deck from what is spoiled now is just as futile as trying to make a rotation proof deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: A Wolf Deck will work, I just know it, that's my goal for the new set

eagerly anticipating another post where you complain about having lost 20 straight games in the casual queue

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought rotation proof just meant your cards would still be legal in the format.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

No Wave posted:

I thought rotation proof just meant your cards would still be legal in the format.

It's used both ways, but some people also get off on pretending people using it one way are using it the other way and making fun of them. Tbf I think some people also deliberately use that confusion to get clicks.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 16, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

No Wave posted:

It does.

The deck will still be legal, no guarantees it'll be any good. It's a minor nitpick, but you know how people can be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I'm kinda surprised they haven't posted anything about the next season battlepass yet. Isn't it starting in like 10 days?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lone Goat posted:

eagerly anticipating another post where you complain about having lost 20 straight games in the casual queue

Not that person, but I made a Selesnya Wolves tribal deck that has some teeth. Not top tier, but it doesn't lose constantly either

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Only need 7 more wins and the daily quests from today, tomorrow and Wednesday and I'll have finished the Mastery Pass with a week to go :toot:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1173645214168375296?s=19

Okay, this is exciting.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
From an ironic distance, that Chandra sleeve at 100 is silly, but having it equipped I actually really like it :shobon:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Looks like this will be a high power, slow speed limited format, what with the adventure cards providing free card advantage and all the common beaters at 4 mana like the 2/5 paladin and the 4/4 beast

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If they actually make Momir the MTGO style of "Yeah we put in every creature card ever" I would play it nonstop

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Does this Momir event have 1k for the first win?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Playing feels empty and hollow now that the grind is over.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Huxley posted:

Does this Momir event have 1k for the first win?

nope, it's a paid event with bad prize payout, like last time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tall as a Beanstalk is adorable design.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

"Yorvo Lord of the Garen Preserve"

GGG

Legendary Creature - Giant Noble

Yorvo Lord of the Garen Preserve enters with four +1/+1 counters on it.

Whenever another green creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Yorvo. Then, if the creature's power is greater than Yorvo's power, put another +1/+1 counter on Yorvo.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Absolutely LOVING the Goethe/Fantasia reference.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Blacklance Paragon looks like a sliver.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheMaestroso posted:

Absolutely LOVING the Goethe reference.

I also love this reference, which I definitely get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

I also love this reference, which I definitely get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DX2yVucz24