Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

5er posted:

These 2k - 3k 5day things are my jam lately. Going to have RHCSA & RHCE by January, and I'm absolutely going to move on CISSP next. Once that's in my email signatures, our slapdash, fly-by-night, former marketing executive run network security will leave our department the gently caress alone a bit more often.

My company is looking at getting some certs and when given the option between a $3.5k per user 4 day course and a learn by yourself then take an exam for $200, they took the $200 option. Got any good methods for getting them to shell out, other than shaking them by the hair and yelling "This is chump change, you cheap bastard"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

NPR Journalizard posted:

My company is looking at getting some certs and when given the option between a $3.5k per user 4 day course and a learn by yourself then take an exam for $200, they took the $200 option. Got any good methods for getting them to shell out, other than shaking them by the hair and yelling "This is chump change, you cheap bastard"

$2000 to $2900 is pretty much the standard fee for about a 5-day, 40 hours class that'll prep you for a cert, that's just a thing they're going to have to accept. If they want to have people staffed with certs, if they really have a goal in enriching their workers, that's the standard ask for 'official', good quality training.

I apologize, I don't have advice on how to loosen up a cheapskate holding the purse strings. My department chair, as well as the one I worked under prior to him, get really enthusiastic about anyone in their department trying to grow their role, and didn't argue with any of the training bids I've asked for. I've just had some good bosses the past few years.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Yeah that's exactly the issue, 70-740 was (mostly) useful because a lot of the stuff I use "daily" or could use daily at a different job, but a lot of 70-741 feels like poo poo that I won't touch because you have other vendors to do these things better.

Welcome to Microsoft exams: a majority, or at least a significant plurality, of the content that they test you on is never used in the real world. I don't think anyone ever used Server 2k3 as a switch or router, but you had to know how to configure it as one.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

KillHour posted:

I'm FINALLY going to take my CISSP exam (I know, I know), but before I do, my employer offered to pay for any classes I think I need to pass it. I feel pretty prepared, but since they're paying, is there something that's really worth the time and money?

Remember, the test is not technical. Know a few details about particular ciphers, maybe. It's mostly value statements, things like WHAT SHOULD YOU DO FIRST, WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST type stuff.

The crammable stuff is things like what a data owner/custodian/user are, or the types of controls.

This doc is a little sloppy, but if nothing in here seems foreign or scary to you, I think you'll do fine? Good luck! https://www.scribd.com/document/422669108/CISSP-DOMAIN-NOTES

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

AlternateAccount posted:

Remember, the test is not technical. Know a few details about particular ciphers, maybe. It's mostly value statements, things like WHAT SHOULD YOU DO FIRST, WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST type stuff.

The crammable stuff is things like what a data owner/custodian/user are, or the types of controls.

This doc is a little sloppy, but if nothing in here seems foreign or scary to you, I think you'll do fine? Good luck! https://www.scribd.com/document/422669108/CISSP-DOMAIN-NOTES

Ah the good old sunflower guide. I used to work with the guy who made that. Can’t meet a more friendly and helpful guy than him. Get it from https://www.sunflower-cissp.com/ though, he keeps updating it every so often.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just finished a four day course on AZ103.
12-14 hours a day staring at the azure portal.

Then the labs failed to load in the exam. The invigilator was all “it might not count towards your score :shrug:
Fuuuck
I passed so I guess they didn’t but gently caress me that’s not good for my blood pressure.

Can’t deny it’s a good way to get a cert quickly but drat my brain is exhausted. Gonnae grab a couple tinnies on the train home

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

The invigilator

How do I make this my title? It's the most :black101: title ever.

Edit: please tell me the feminine version of that is inviligatrix :rock:

e2: it totally is https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/invigilatrix

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 22, 2019

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

bitterandtwisted posted:

Just finished a four day course on AZ103.
12-14 hours a day staring at the azure portal.

Then the labs failed to load in the exam. The invigilator was all “it might not count towards your score :shrug:
Fuuuck
I passed so I guess they didn’t but gently caress me that’s not good for my blood pressure.

Can’t deny it’s a good way to get a cert quickly but drat my brain is exhausted. Gonnae grab a couple tinnies on the train home

I'm getting ready to take that cert. I took a cruddy udemy course, failed two lovely practice exams, and I'm just reading through a bunch of Microsoft documentation. I think I'm just going to take the test and likely fail it, just so I can see what the real test is like.

Maybe I'll pass. I use azure for real work things but not most of the stuff the exam covers. Tagging is certainly not necessary for the kind of environments I work with

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I took a practice exam the night before and I failed - that really knocked my confidence. The questions on the day were better than I expected. One of the biggest advantages of the course was the instructor knew the sort of questions that show up in the test, so there was nothing there I hadn't heard of.

btw killhour, what do you call the people who monitor exam candidates? Didn't occur to me that word wouldn't be used in America!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
In the US the usual word is "proctor."

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Passed my AZ-103 exam. Really thought I was going to fail. Guess I'm an Azure Administrator Associate now.

The first lab hosed me over. After 4 tasks the Azure portal wouldn't load any resources. Tried logging out, back in, refreshing page, etc. I ended up connecting to Azure with Powershell and doing as much as I knew how to do. It cost me about an hour that I, apparently, did not need.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Congrats!

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
So the company i'm going to work for deals in Palo Alto firewalls, which I have no experience with. I just recently passed my CCNA Security, how quickly do you think I could knock out the lower level Palo Alto cert considering that? Also, are there any good materials out there to look over while I wait for accounts to get set up and get access to the actual stuff they have?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

siggy2021 posted:

So the company i'm going to work for deals in Palo Alto firewalls, which I have no experience with. I just recently passed my CCNA Security, how quickly do you think I could knock out the lower level Palo Alto cert considering that? Also, are there any good materials out there to look over while I wait for accounts to get set up and get access to the actual stuff they have?

I never got certified in anything Palo Alto but I did sign up for their online classes here:
https://portal.netdevgroup.com/learn/pan8-ce-pilot/
And I had a pretty easy time transitioning. I like the Palo Alto GUI more then I did ASDM and it was a fairly painless transition.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think once you have the hang of what a firewall is then adjusting to different platforms (as long as they are sane ones) is pretty easy, and you just need to get the hang of the order that NAT/ACLs etc. are applied in. Nothing that quality documentation and some lab time wouldn't solve.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah the major firewall vendors are all pretty similar: Fortinet, Palo Alto, SonicWALL and ASA (I haven't used any other Cisco stuff).

There are intricacies with how they apply things and how you need to frame stuff, but terminology is typically the same, they do the same functions etc.

Click around for a bit and you'll see how it works, look at what other ppl have done and it will make sense.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I never got certified in anything Palo Alto but I did sign up for their online classes here:
https://portal.netdevgroup.com/learn/pan8-ce-pilot/
And I had a pretty easy time transitioning. I like the Palo Alto GUI more then I did ASDM and it was a fairly painless transition.

That link is very helpful. Never would have thought you could find full on labs like that for free. The interface on the Palo Alto is miles better than what I had to deal with in ASDM for the CCNA Security.

I figured different vendor firewalls couldn't be too difficult, protocols are protocols after all.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Once you're at the point where the functionality of the device just sort of 'clicks' in your head, which you'll get with experience no problems, then it's always surprising how transferable your skills can be across vendors. I can pretty much sit down at the CLI of any access switch and figure out what's going on just by use of the tab and ? keys.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
Are there any recommendations for Juniper books or resources for people coming from CCNA/CCNP?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Captn Kurp posted:

Are there any recommendations for Juniper books or resources for people coming from CCNA/CCNP?

Their day one books are good and free. They have some specific ones for you Cisco people.

https://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/jnbooks/day-one/fundamentals-series/junos-for-ios-engineers/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Considering going for the MCSA. I hear good things about CBTNuggest and have used them in the past for CCNA, so I was planning on using them for my main training material. I also have free access to Lynda.com and Pluralsight. Any thoughts?

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

Moey posted:

Their day one books are good and free. They have some specific ones for you Cisco people.

https://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/jnbooks/day-one/fundamentals-series/junos-for-ios-engineers/

Thank you, this looks perfect. Do they have any virtual resources available to practice that you know about? Cisco has the VIRL system which allows you to practice configurations from a browser, I was curious if Juniper had anything similar?

I purchased a couple refurbished EX4200s to practice with but figured I'd check. Thanks for all the help!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Captn Kurp posted:

Thank you, this looks perfect. Do they have any virtual resources available to practice that you know about? Cisco has the VIRL system which allows you to practice configurations from a browser, I was curious if Juniper had anything similar?

I purchased a couple refurbished EX4200s to practice with but figured I'd check. Thanks for all the help!

You are on a good track with the EX4200 switches, you can throw em in a virtual chassis and do some routing as well.

You can get trials of the vSRX (firewall) and vMX (router). Apparently you can shove these into GNS3 as well (never tested), so depending on how you do your testing/learning, you have some different options.

They also have vLabs, that are just hosted/virtualized environments (with pre-built labs depending on what you want to play with).

https://jlabs.juniper.net/home/

Their words - "This service provides a variety of preset topologies in routing, switching, and security to give you a chance to try out Juniper technologies. vLabs access is free to the public."

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

Moey posted:

You are on a good track with the EX4200 switches, you can throw em in a virtual chassis and do some routing as well.

You can get trials of the vSRX (firewall) and vMX (router). Apparently you can shove these into GNS3 as well (never tested), so depending on how you do your testing/learning, you have some different options.

They also have vLabs, that are just hosted/virtualized environments (with pre-built labs depending on what you want to play with).

https://jlabs.juniper.net/home/

Their words - "This service provides a variety of preset topologies in routing, switching, and security to give you a chance to try out Juniper technologies. vLabs access is free to the public."

Absolute life saver, thanks!

EDIT: Not the candy

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Captn Kurp posted:

Absolute lifesaver, thanks!

No problem. I really like Junos CLI.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

FCKGW posted:

Considering going for the MCSA. I hear good things about CBTNuggest and have used them in the past for CCNA, so I was planning on using them for my main training material. I also have free access to Lynda.com and Pluralsight. Any thoughts?

Which MCSA? Server 2016?

My experience with Pluralsight is very hit or miss. It’s entirely dependent on the instructor. E.g. I found their ICND1 class very well done while the Sec+ class was unbearable. I used them somewhat for the AZ-100, and it was decent but a little out of date.

Might be worth checking Udemy also. Like Pluralsight they’re extremely hit or miss, but if you catch it on sale you’re at worst out $12.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Space Racist posted:

Which MCSA? Server 2016?

My experience with Pluralsight is very hit or miss. It’s entirely dependent on the instructor. E.g. I found their ICND1 class very well done while the Sec+ class was unbearable. I used them somewhat for the AZ-100, and it was decent but a little out of date.

Might be worth checking Udemy also. Like Pluralsight they’re extremely hit or miss, but if you catch it on sale you’re at worst out $12.

I’m guessing 2016, MS site says the 2012 cert is discontinued now.

I’m not a fan of Udemy, some of their courses seems janky and they have a bad habit of selling stolen content so I’d rather not give them my money. I did use them for A+ and Network+ though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Taking the 220-1001 on Thursday morning as part of my WGU program. Studying for this one is a lot more trivial when you have a decade of experience and your Net+ already lol

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

cage-free egghead posted:

Taking the 220-1001 on Thursday morning as part of my WGU program. Studying for this one is a lot more trivial when you have a decade of experience and your Net+ already lol

I was surprised when WGU included those courses in my course plan even though I submitted my CCNA. Guess it won't hurt, but it just seems silly.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

cage-free egghead posted:

Make sure you know your different DVI connectors and your fiber optic wavelengths! CompTIA needs that $$$!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'm trying to get my CCNA for WGU before Cisco changes everything in February. At first I thought I could get by using Boson NetSim, but I'm running into quirky bullshit when trying to follow along with CBTNuggets because NetSim apparently doesn't like it when you do anything outside of their step by step instructions for their labs. So I'm thinking of picking up a lab kit from Ebay. Anyone have any experience selling these back after their done with them? How much of a reduced price to they take them back for and would it even be worth it with the cost of shipping?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I have a giant stack of switches and routers that I intended to sell at some point, but the thought of shipping all of it is a nightmare so instead I've kept it all and added more to it when i got some free stuff.

To be honest, I don't think there is anything on the CCNA R&S that can't be done in packet tracer and maybe GNS3. Only bother with physical equipment if you really feel like you would learn better by plugging things in to other things.

CCNP or CCNA security is a whole different ballgame, though. All the route stuff can be done in GNS3, but there are a lot of switching stuff missing in Packer Tracer.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
What's wrong with packet tracer?

If you're going to physical lab route, you're better off buying equipment piecemeal. The lab kits kits are often brand new shiny equipment with more equipment than necessary and extra poo poo you don't need with a hefty premium thrown on top. They're also pretty hard to sell when you're done. My boss dropped way too much money into one and he's struggling to make back even a fraction of what he paid for it.

The extent of my CCNP Switch lab was a pair of 3560 switches that I snagged on e-bay for less than $50 and it was sufficient. I'm not sure off the top of my head a good router to buy but there's nothing wrong with using GNS3 for the routing part and leaving it at that. I'll ballpark and say, I'm sure you can find 3 routers that will do the job for less than $100 and have a $150 lab that will carry you into CCNP.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 18, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

siggy2021 posted:

CCNP or CCNA security is a whole different ballgame, though. All the route stuff can be done in GNS3, but there are a lot of switching stuff missing in Packer Tracer.

I wouldn't recommend GNS3 for switching for...anything really. The VLAN implementation on GNS3 is a bodge which assumes that you have a pretty good understanding of it already, which will just confuse you if you're just starting out. It's not worth it.

I did the entirety of my CCNA in packet tracer and it was perfectly fine.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Renegret posted:

I wouldn't recommend GNS3 for switching for...anything really. The VLAN implementation on GNS3 is a bodge which assumes that you have a pretty good understanding of it already, which will just confuse you if you're just starting out. It's not worth it.

I did the entirety of my CCNA in packet tracer and it was perfectly fine.

I'll second this. For a base CCNA R&S Packet Tracer will do everything you need it to do.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

I'm trying to get my CCNA for WGU before Cisco changes everything in February. At first I thought I could get by using Boson NetSim, but I'm running into quirky bullshit when trying to follow along with CBTNuggets because NetSim apparently doesn't like it when you do anything outside of their step by step instructions for their labs. So I'm thinking of picking up a lab kit from Ebay. Anyone have any experience selling these back after their done with them? How much of a reduced price to they take them back for and would it even be worth it with the cost of shipping?

I used Boson for my CCNA and for SWITCH.

You'll be fine, just follow along on the Boson labs. Helps if you have 2 screens so you can put their lab instructions on 1 and the simulator on the other. No need to go crazy buying old equipment to get setup unless you want a bunch of dusty old equipment taking up space in your house. In fact I'd go so far as to say that buying physical equipment to lab with will slow you down. You have to wait for stuff to boot, worry about getting everything cabled correctly, etc.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
For the true testing experience, put everything on half of a 800x600 monitor, plug in a cheap mouse that gives you carpel tunnel, disable the scroll wheel, turn the sensitivity to the lowest setting, and make it so that one click of the arrows on the scroll bar jumps you 3 screens so you can't actually read the output to anything. Don't forget to break the legs off of your keyboard.

Then set the temperature to your room to either 60 or 80 degrees. No in between.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

I did WGU last year. I bought a networking kit for about $330 and resold it on SA-Mart for $200 I think.

I found the kit helpful for ICND1 and some lower level stuff to get familiar with the concepts and how stuff interacts, but eventually moved to using GNS3 and Packet Tracer exclusively by the end. For $130 out of pocket it was worth it though.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
Where is a good place to get some CEU's for my Sec +?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fhistleb posted:

Where is a good place to get some CEU's for my Sec +?

Do ISSA meetings count for those? I think they do/did for CISSPs but not sure about Sec+.