Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I have Different Seasons, which I've never read. I've thought about reading it during Autumn, since IT gave me the craving to read a classic King I've missed.

You'll enjoy it, The Body, Shawshank and Apt Pupil are all really good. Whichever story was the fourth one I didn't like but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
3 From Hell is getting a blu ray/VOD release in October so I'm gonna save it for a mid-Halloween season special screening(which will take place for an audience of one, in my apartment).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Franchescanado posted:

I put off reading Firestarter for years because I thought it was a silly idea. Now it's among my favorite King novels. I'd say Top 5, easy. Along with, yes, The Dead Zone, which is just fantastic. Everyone talks about the assassination in the novel, which is like, maybe 15% of the book. The heart of the book is the melancholic theme of living the remnants of a lost life. Being able to see what could have been, maybe temporarily grasp on small things (a lost love, the hope that a family member is still alive), but really never fitting into the world because such a huge part of your life is missing...That poo poo rocks. The fact that he has premonitions is almost secondary.

I have Different Seasons, which I've never read. I've thought about reading it during Autumn, since IT gave me the craving to read a classic King I've missed.

edit: Fun fact, I've never seen the Cronenberg The Dead Zone. I almost watched it over the weekend, but realized I should save it for the October challenge.

I fuckin' love The Dead Zone (both the book and the movie for different reasons).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

There is now a dedicated museum for Friday the 13th.

https://www.njherald.com/entertainment/20190915/friday-13th-actors-help-to-cut-ribbon-and-introduce-new-friday-13th-museum

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I ended up watching Part VII on Friday night and really enjoyed it a lot more than I remember from the last time I saw it. It has a fun cast, lots of classic Jason kills, and it's the version of Jason that I love the most(post-Jason Lives zombie Jason). Throw in a stealth horror icons crossover(Jason vs. Carrie) and yea, I think it's good. Probably my third favorite after Jason Lives and Part 4.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

3 From Hell is getting a blu ray/VOD release in October so I'm gonna save it for a mid-Halloween season special screening(which will take place for an audience of one, in my apartment).

ur not even inviting me wtf

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

ur not even inviting me wtf

I'm single and 35 years old I can't have children hanging out in my apartment it doesn't look good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i joined this forum when i was 14 now im old enough to legally drink in the US how does that make u feel it makes me feel old

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kvlt! posted:

i joined this forum when i was 14 now im old enough to legally drink in the US how does that make u feel it makes me feel old

Checking IDs for cigarettes, clocking birth dates from the late 1990s and early 2000s, then thinking You can't buy that, you're barely two years old then remembering what year is what makes me feel old.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I watched all the Friday the 13th's this summer (but crammed in V-IX over the weekend). Boy, those middle movies are all way better than I remember but I really appreciated the gore/SFX in Jason Goes to Hell - they really pushed the boat out. It's loving daft and I'm not normally one to be suckered in by easter eggs but the Necronomicon/dagger were very cool to see. What a strange movie, I didn't hate it.

Island of the Fishpeople/Screamers on Amazon Prime really surprised me, it's kinda stupid voodoo too much of the time but also there's a scene with a straight up in-colour classic Creature from the Black Lagoon - complete with pulsing flesh, mad eyes and sharp teeth - front and centre and I loved it. The horror-adventure sub-genre needs more movies.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 16, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Necrotizer F posted:

Checking IDs for cigarettes, clocking birth dates from the late 1990s and early 2000s, then thinking You can't buy that, you're barely two years old then remembering what year is what makes me feel old.

Lots of things can make you feel old. Being able to remember a pre-internet world, working a job where they still had a punch card using computer on site, remembering seeing The Exorcist first run at the show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

Lots of things can make you feel old. Being able to remember a pre-internet world, working a job where they still had a punch card using computer on site, remembering seeing The Exorcist first run at the show.

Yeah, I had an engineer explaining to the co-ops what MySpace was, followed by me calling them babbies because I had to use Geocities.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I’m bummed that I don’t think I can catch it in theaters so this is good news

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I've only seen Cold Fish but I loved it so much, what should I watch next? What are his best movies?

You're a musical fan, right? Tokyo Tribe

Maybe Guilty of Romance? I liked it quite a bit, very odd and intense. Haven't seen Cold Fish yet, but those two and Love Exposure make up his 'Hate Trilogy' so I'd expect some thematic links. It's been mentioned already, but Love Exposure really is a great way to spend an entire Sunday afternoon.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh poo poo I didn't know 3FH was coming to home viewing so quick!! That's the best news.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Trip report?

I didn't ignore this btw I am working on my write up of the Shaw Brothers movies as soon as I finish my Evil Bong writeup

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just watched a horror/comedy on Shudder called "You Might be the Killer". Fun little flick.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Davros1 posted:

Just watched a horror/comedy on Shudder called "You Might be the Killer". Fun little flick.

I enjoyed it too, not a masterpiece but it's fun. The folks who complain about Joss Whedon though will probably hate it, he's not involved but it's got Fran Kranz and Alyson Hannigan and a somewhat similar style of humor.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i hate Whedon almost more than Wan but I will admit Buffy is one of my all time fav shows lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

i hate Whedon almost more than Wan but I will admit Buffy is one of my all time fav shows lol

Angel was better :colbert:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Angel was better :colbert:

That is an extremely accurate opinion.......FOR A POSER TO HAVE

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

It's going to make you feel extra bullied when I figure out which one at the middle school is you

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

The folks who complain about Joss Whedon though will probably hate it, he's not involved but it's got Fran Kranz and Alyson Hannigan and a somewhat similar style of humor.

I enjoyed it very much. At moments it seemed a bit unsteady in the horror/comedy balance, but it's a very fun film that's a nice entry for a marathon of Student Bodies, Bloodbath at the House of Death, There's Nothing Out There, Pandemonium, and Tucker & Dale vs Evil.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

That is an extremely accurate opinion.......FOR A POSER TO HAVE

overall Buffy is better but the last season of Angel is the best of either show

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That's theoretically possible and I've never seen Buffy so I can't be 100% sure, but the first episode of Angel was completely unwatchable so I assume Buffy is better by default.

P.S. if anyone ever tries to make you watch Angel you should cut and run it's not worth whatever they're offering

In Horror news, also going to 3 From Hell tonight. I don't think I hated House of 1000 Corpses as much as people and I also didn't love Devil's Rejects as much, so I'm mostly sad he's not following the Lords of Salem thread instead but still pretty stoked. Lords of Salem was really good.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So on Wednesday will 3 from hell play first or Devils Rejects?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irony.or.Death posted:

That's theoretically possible and I've never seen Buffy so I can't be 100% sure, but the first episode of Angel was completely unwatchable so I assume Buffy is better by default.

I have some terrible news for you

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Tonight I'm just hoping that I don't butt heads with people not sitting in their assigned seats who bought tickets last-minute so they're separated from their friends, or people who theater-hopped to watch the movie they didn't pay for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

In Horror news, also going to 3 From Hell tonight. I don't think I hated House of 1000 Corpses as much as people and I also didn't love Devil's Rejects as much, so I'm mostly sad he's not following the Lords of Salem thread instead but still pretty stoked. Lords of Salem was really good.

I really like House of 1000 Corpses. Nobody itt seems to agree that it's good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I like it! It’s a fun colorful feverdream.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I rewatched it and Devil's Rejects again recently and warmed to House of 1000 Corpses a little more. You can tell Zombie is really excited to be directing a horror film and is just throwing every idea at the wall. It's better when he gets to tease those ideas out more and refine them in later films, but 1000 Corpses still has some charm to it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I enjoy it, but it's definitely lower end Rob Zombie. Above the animated garbage movie and 31, and right around his first Halloween.

Fish man was really funny and grotesque.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The worst prank Jim pulled

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I like it! It’s a fun colorful feverdream.

I look at it as a this is what it's like in the Fireflys heads kinda thing.

MacheteZombie posted:

Above the animated garbage movie and 31, and right around his first Halloween.

Am I the only one who likes The Haunted World of El Superbeasto?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Fish man was really funny and grotesque.

The whole Dr. Satan thing also works extremely well for me, every time I watch it I'm actually kinda bummed that Zombie went with a more generic "crazy psycho family" route for Devil's Rejects.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Basebf555 posted:

I like it too. It’s a little rough around parts but it’s just fascinating to see Zombie throw so much against the wall.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Tonight I'm just hoping that I don't butt heads with people not sitting in their assigned seats who bought tickets last-minute so they're separated from their friends, or people who theater-hopped to watch the movie they didn't pay for.

i will be the biggest rear end in a top hat and get management if someones in my seat. i dont give a gently caress if u wanna sit with ur friends i bought the loving seat bc i wanted to sit there

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

Same here. I'm fine with a long running TV show like that where you have so many people involved in the final thing. I mean it's easily the best thing he's been involved in too and he had way more clout in his other stuff because of it, like Firefly, Dollhouse, hell Dr. Horrible's Sing Along, those are waaaaaay more his voice and "message" compared to Buffy and Angel.

Kvlt! posted:

I didn't ignore this btw I am working on my write up of the Shaw Brothers movies as soon as I finish my Evil Bong writeup

:hfive: You fuckin rule.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I didn't like it when I saw it but I've only watched it once like eight years ago. I'd probably like it more now, I'm planning to rewatch it this October.

My girlfriend is one of the unique people who really likes House of 1000 Corpses but hates The Devil's Rejects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

My girlfriend is one of the unique people who really likes House of 1000 Corpses but hates The Devil's Rejects.

I definitely like Rejects but over the last few years as I've rewatched House of 1000 Corpses a few times, I have to say I enjoy it more. It has an element of fun to it, and Devil's Rejects is just forty miles of bad road. It's exhausting.

Lords of Salem and Halloween 2 are unquestionably his best films though, in my opinion.