Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

The closest that line got to the “original” Alien was the Warrior Alien from the AvP two-pack. The Scorpion Alien was as close as we got to the ones from ‘Aliens’ (and the toy loving exploded, which was :krad: ).

Yeah, the 2 pack was later repackaged individually with the Warrior Alien being a sky blue color for reasons.

Oh how I wish I hadn't forgotten to pack those when I moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

purple death ray posted:

Alien, Terminator, predator, Robocop, I don't care what, there are ever, at most, 2 movies in any franchise worth remembering.

Looking back, it's surprising how many sequels these movies got. I mean, what more can you say about Robocop that the original movie didn't already cover? It got two sequels, a remake, and a tv show.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

There’s a whole lot different than just the dog/ox. There’s a huge subplot where they actually successfully capture the Alien, theres a new opening to the movie, there’s more with a Michael Bishop at the end, and most of the prisoners actually get names if not personalities.

The movie is still flawed, but the assembly cut is a definite improvement.
If it wasn't for the movie starting off with the off screen deaths of Newt and Hicks I'd comfortably rate it good with flaws.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Splicer posted:

If it wasn't for the movie starting off with the off screen deaths of Newt and Hicks I'd comfortably rate it good with flaws.

Change this, take out the rape scene, then we can talk. Maybe.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

The closest that line got to the “original” Alien was the Warrior Alien from the AvP two-pack. The Scorpion Alien was as close as we got to the ones from ‘Aliens’ (and the toy loving exploded, which was :krad: ).

Oh my God this thread is a crazy flood of nostalgia because I think I had the exploding one too! I needed my parents to help put it back together each time until it lost an arm or something.

One of my earliest memories was watching Alien 3 with my dad at a way too young age. The scene where you see the alien's point of view as it chases that guy (and the camera goes upside down to be the alien climbing on the ceiling) stuck with me for years and creeped me out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If you want nostalgia, I’ll post up some photos of my old 90s Aliens merch when I get home, because you’d better believe I kept all of that poo poo.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I watched robocop when I was 6 at my white trash neighbour’s place and I found it loving terrifying. The scene where his hand gets blown off with a shotgun and the bit where the dudes face melts still fill me with revulsion and horror

it’s a shame cos I love starship troopers and that style of satire

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Xenomrph posted:

There’s a whole lot different than just the dog/ox. There’s a huge subplot where they actually successfully capture the Alien, theres a new opening to the movie, there’s more with a Michael Bishop at the end, and most of the prisoners actually get names if not personalities.

The movie is still flawed, but the assembly cut is a definite improvement.

You’re thinking of the Bull Alien toy; while that toyline came out around the time of Alien3 and leaned heavily on Alien3’s “animal-spawned Aliens” idea, it was meant to be more of an Aliens tie-in. There were a bunch of other Alien hybrids in the toyline, like a Snake Alien, Gorilla Alien, Rhino Alien, etc.
IMHO Alien 3, for all its flaws and endlessly miserable atmosphere, is a good film that successfully fought through the godawful development hell it got into to become something memorable.

A lot of these weird alien types though (as seen in the figures) were originally going to be tied-in with a planned cartoon show based on/following Aliens (discarding Alien 3 for obvious reasons), but that fell through and nothing came of it so we ended up with action figures of characters like ATAX who came out of loving nowhere only to confuse any and all fans of the franchise.

That being said, they were some fantastic-looking alien figures considering detail took something of a back seat (they still had drat good detail for toys geared toward kids) to press as many out as possible. The humans were typically cartoonishly paletted but oh well. Sgt. Apone's cartoon figure looks loving hilarious yet so brilliantly "Saturday morning cartoon badass" at the same time.

Gentle Autist posted:

I watched robocop when I was 6 at my white trash neighbour’s place and I found it loving terrifying. The scene where his hand gets blown off with a shotgun and the bit where the dudes face melts still fill me with revulsion and horror

it’s a shame cos I love starship troopers and that style of satire
The body horror in RoboCop fascinated and terrified me as a kid, and the "is it really Murphy?" thing blew my loving brains out a few years later when I was old enough to start (lightly) analysing this stuff. Paul Verhoeven has given us some amazing for many different reasons.

Vote to include the great Total Recall as a valid movie in this thread :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 16, 2019

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Aliens cartoon you’re referring to is actually an urban legend, and it recently got debunked:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/articles/the-operation-aliens-conspiracy/

tl;dr:
Kenner was working on a cross-promotion project alongside their Aliens toys called “Operation: Aliens” that had stuff like school supplies and a board game (I actually have the board game), and they got the idea to pitch a cartoon show. They drew up mock animation frames, but the project never got off the ground.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The part in Robocop 2 where he gets ambushed and chopped up really freaked me out as a kid.

I had a ton of Terminator toys growing up. My favourite was a Terminator factory thing where you'd put putty skins over terminator skeletons and then rip it off.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Xenomrph posted:

The Aliens cartoon you’re referring to is actually an urban legend, and it recently got debunked:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/articles/the-operation-aliens-conspiracy/

tl;dr:
Kenner was working on a cross-promotion project alongside their Aliens toys called “Operation: Aliens” that had stuff like school supplies and a board game (I actually have the board game), and they got the idea to pitch a cartoon show. They drew up mock animation frames, but the project never got off the ground.

I did say "planned", but never really took note of or investigated how far the apparent plans went (nowhere, it seems).

Voting Floater posted:

The part in Robocop 2 where he gets ambushed and chopped up really freaked me out as a kid.

I had a ton of Terminator toys growing up. My favourite was a Terminator factory thing where you'd put putty skins over terminator skeletons and then rip it off.
I had two Terminator figures; the classic T-800 and some weird fire-scorched glow-in-the-dark variant. They each had some rubber thing connecting the hip and chest area so you couldn't pose them in any position looking/aiming sideways or whatever, since the rubber would immediately flick them back into the standard forward-facing pose.

Edit:
Here we go, these fuckers!

This guy lost his projectile almost immediately.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 16, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

If you want nostalgia, I’ll post up some photos of my old 90s Aliens merch when I get home, because you’d better believe I kept all of that poo poo.

:hai:

I had a bunch of Aliens, Robocop, and Terminator toys. I remember getting the Robocop motorcycle for Easter. My brother got a Nintendo. :(

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm of two minds about Alien³. On one hand it does so much unforgivable poo poo like killing everyone but Ripley (even just keeping Bishop alive would've improved things) and being pretty much an inferior retread of the first movie. But on the other hand the film's development and production was so tortured and nightmarish beyond all comprehension that I honestly respect the film for hanging together as well as it does. There's no earthly way it should've been as not-utterly-incoherent and not terrible as it is in either cut.

And it has Pete Postlethwaite in it, which gets it an automatic extra half-star from me.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

wtf was going on in the 80s that satirical, violent, horror/terror movies like alien, robocop, terminator et al were immediately pounced on as marketing opportunities

I guess the answer as always is 'unbridled, cynical capitalism' but ffs. Our (my) parents weren't media savvy enough to filter out that poo poo . robocop really hosed me over and thinking about it still makes me feel anxious (im 38, lol)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

wtf was going on in the 80s that satirical, violent, horror/terror movies like alien, robocop, terminator et al were immediately pounced on as marketing opportunities

I guess the answer as always is 'unbridled, cynical capitalism' but ffs. Our (my) parents weren't media savvy enough to filter out that poo poo . robocop really hosed me over and thinking about it still makes me feel anxious (im 38, lol)

Yeah I think they seemed to miss the irony especially since Aliens and Robocop satire capitalism.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
That's Reganomics for you.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I'm writing an op/Ed on the value of media literacy right now, and I'll probably include starship troopers as an example of why media literacy is so important. The fact that so many people watch that movie and came away with the exact opposite impression of what it was about should raise red flags.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I did say "planned", but never really took note of or investigated how far the apparent plans went (nowhere, it seems).

I had two Terminator figures; the classic T-800 and some weird fire-scorched glow-in-the-dark variant. They each had some rubber thing connecting the hip and chest area so you couldn't pose them in any position looking/aiming sideways or whatever, since the rubber would immediately flick them back into the standard forward-facing pose.

Edit:
Here we go, these fuckers!

This guy lost his projectile almost immediately.

Yes! Had both of those, a regular Arnie, a John Connor-with-motorbike and two T-1000s: a standard cop version that exploded and a helicopter pilot version that shot missiles out its back for some reason.

I also had a weird car that was never in any of the movies, but gently caress it slap a T-800 skull on it and sell it to dumb kids (me). This thing:
https://theangryspider.com/products/tas038150-1991-kenner-terminator-2-mobile-assault-vehicle

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Reading through the setting chapter preview from the forthcoming RPG there's a nice touch. They describe the various tiers of accommodations you can expect on colonies/stations/starships and stuff.

It goes from just absolute miserable open berth barracks, to a really cramped and unpleasant studio unit where if you're lucky the tiny 3/4 bath has a door separating it from the minuscule kitchenette... right directly to the most opulent and well-heeled quarters with wet bars and roboservants and whatever.

There's no middle class in the Aliens universe. You're either a struggling nobody or a corporate honcho/well heeled billionaire.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Voting Floater posted:

Yes! Had both of those, a regular Arnie, a John Connor-with-motorbike and two T-1000s: a standard cop version that exploded and a helicopter pilot version that shot missiles out its back for some reason.

I also had a weird car that was never in any of the movies, but gently caress it slap a T-800 skull on it and sell it to dumb kids (me). This thing:
https://theangryspider.com/products/tas038150-1991-kenner-terminator-2-mobile-assault-vehicle

:allears: I love how toys back then were 'based' on movies in the sense they simply took the name then made whatever the gently caress they could sell to kids. Remember in Batman '89 when the Joker raced around Gotham City on a big gently caress-off bike that fired a big gently caress-off Joker face?

Me neither, but for some reason it exists, along with six different Batmans:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Voting Floater posted:

Man these are bringing back memories. I guess I had a lot of toys as a kid because now I'm vaguely remembering this stuff. The Terminator toys, batman toys, obviously the Aliens toys.

Neato.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That toy there, where you change Michael Keaton into Batman with a bunch of snap on armor, fuckin ruled

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

:allears: I love how toys back then were 'based' on movies in the sense they simply took the name then made whatever the gently caress they could sell to kids. Remember in Batman '89 when the Joker raced around Gotham City on a big gently caress-off bike that fired a big gently caress-off Joker face?

Me neither, but for some reason it exists, along with six different Batmans:

I'm Iron Winch BATMAN

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm Iron Binch BATMAN

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Hi I just watched all of the Aliens movies except 3 over the last week or two and Alien and Aliens are fantastic thanks.

Prometheus looks real cool mostly and then doesn't really stick the landing and goes off the rails fully into stupid town when they wake up the engineer or whatever and he just starts hulk punching people it's dumb as hell.

Covenant is real bad on so many levels. Everyone is a huge idiot.

Resurrection benefits from it being 200 years in the future and clones so nothing actually matters and at least it is mostly fun but the hybrid at the end is just so stupid looking. 'here is the big bad its just... crushing heads I guess idk man" -prometheus and resurrection

I love Aliens tho i will read the thread now thanks

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The level of hubris they displayed in inventing a new monster beggars belief. If your starting point isn’t an artist of the calibre of Herr Geiger, what are you even thinking? I laughed out loud in the cinema when I saw it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I thought it was real funny how they hype this guy up the whole movie like this dude was going to solve all of mankind's problems and reveal the truth behind the very existence of humanity and then they wake him up and he just yells incomprehensibly and beats them to death

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
prometheus is really good in that 60 seconds or so where its just david hanging out by himself

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's weird that these Alien prequels have David as the Ripley stand-in.

Maybe David is the protagonist in these films all along?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I watched the Aliens director cut and it was good

Except it kept making me think of Covenant and Prometheus and making me angry

gently caress you ridley scott

If David invented the Aliens then how were they on the ancient ship on 426? If David invented the Alien on that colony ship then how did an "engineer" spaceship get to LV-426 with them?

Even Aliens had me thinking: how do you start with one or a handful of xenomorphs and end up with a colony? A queen? Why do they look different?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 19, 2019

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Android Apocalypse posted:

It's weird that these Alien prequels have David as the Ripley stand-in.

Maybe David is the protagonist in these films all along?

Maybe the real Ripley is the friends we made along the way.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
How do the aliens produce the material the hive is made out of?

it's cum isn't it? like, those people are just covered in alien cum and that's why they want to die.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
There's a reason their heads look like giant dicks.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Phi230 posted:

I watched the Aliens director cut and it was good

Except it kept making me think of Covenant and Prometheus and making me angry

gently caress you ridley scott

If David invented the Aliens then how were they on the ancient ship on 426? If David invented the Alien on that colony ship then how did an "engineer" spaceship get to LV-426 with them?

Even Aliens had me thinking: how do you start with one or a handful of xenomorphs and end up with a colony? A queen? Why do they look different?

Like bees and ants they hatch workers specialized in particular roles as the colony grows, likely via pheromones or something that alters the organism before they hatch, either in the egg or before they do the chest pop. In alien 3 they could apparently tell that the alien Ripley has inside her was a queen before it burst out, so I'm assuming the latter? I don't think they ever explicitly spell this out but the only other option is that the egg that got newts dad just happened to be the queen, which is unbelievably dumb.

Also we know xenos shed their skin as they grow so change could be occurring when that happens too, who knows.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Hell Stink posted:

How do the aliens produce the material the hive is made out of?

it's cum isn't it? like, those people are just covered in alien cum and that's why they want to die.

It's an orally secreted resin iirc

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Am i misremembering or did the face hugger (do they have more official names?) that got on Ripley have webbed legs? Like it was a "royal" facehugger or something.

The one from the first film was like a lost drone. All the ones from 2 were warriors defending the hive.

It's loving heartbreaking that there have been so many shite films. Imagine how much fun designers/writers could have expanding on that idea of aliens changing and evolving to suit a hives needs. Instead we get daft-kid Predators suplexing aliens (which SHOULD be cool... but it wasn't) and lame re-hashes from a senile old man who rants about Beavis and Butthead.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Yeah, but like what percent? That's a lot of oral secretion. I'm certain there's some poo in there too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Drunken Baker posted:

Am i misremembering or did the face hugger (do they have more official names?) that got on Ripley have webbed legs? Like it was a "royal" facehugger or something.

The one from the first film was like a lost drone. All the ones from 2 were warriors defending the hive.

It's loving heartbreaking that there have been so many shite films. Imagine how much fun designers/writers could have expanding on that idea of aliens changing and evolving to suit a hives needs. Instead we get daft-kid Predators suplexing aliens (which SHOULD be cool... but it wasn't) and lame re-hashes from a senile old man who rants about Beavis and Butthead.

I don't think alien 3 ever shows Ripley with the face hugger on her face, iirc it's supposed to be sort of a mystery why the alien keeps leaving her alive until they discover the embryo inside her

I really don't like alien 3 so I might be wrong, and if I am wrong I honestly don't really care because I pretty much ignore everything but the first 2 movies and I like my explanations better

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've posted this before but going by Alien and Aliens (and the cut scenes from alien) the Alien alien was a jack of all trades starter alien, mobile and fast growing and able to make more aliens using the inefficient goop method. Once a hive gets big enough they can start specialising, so you get the Aliens queen who can afford to be a dedicated egg laying machine. Maybe in really mature colonies you get even more specialised aliens like living wall mounted acid turrets and flying aliens and a bunch of cool stuff that's not sad androids playing erotic flutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

When your head is a dick, that's called cum