Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man, I really miss all the Spelunky stuff a lot of folks used to do. it's such a hilarious game.

I'm watching a playlist of Friends Without Benefits(specifically, Alpharad and Don) trying to get to and beat hell co-op in spelunky and it's incredible. this moment in particular, when they Buy Grom and the subsequent explanation of why you should Never Buy Grom, I'm literally crying, red in the face, from laughter.

the perfectly timed shot of Grom falling from the top of the screen down off the bottom of the screen immediately after they go "Grom is stupid as gently caress" nearly killed me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuhdj3s-blE&hd=1&t=375s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spelunky 2 can’t come out soon enough

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJBlWYqVQbQ

Jim Sterling hinted at doing a video about how Microsoft is bad in their own way when it comes to microtransactions in video games, but not that he would be this brutal about it. Nonetheless, I kinda have to agree with the title of his video. If anything, he doesn't go far enough back in time. Microsoft wanted people to pay for online access from the very beginning.

Additionally, someone in the comment section said that Konami is trying to go back into video games as a result of Japanese regulators coming down harder on gambling. That sounds like gently caress Konami News fodder if there ever was one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jay Exci has Views on the ending of Steven Universe and how it tanked the series for him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

It's not even the ending is it? It felt like a finale but supposedly the show is continuing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mokinokaro posted:

It's not even the ending is it? It felt like a finale but supposedly the show is continuing.

The movie just aired (and was awesome) and there’s supposed to be more to come, right.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

Cartoon Network said the show's continuing but nobody knows for sure if it's a proper season or some sort of Ben 10 sequel/reboot thing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Its pretty disingenuous to specifically describe the confrontation between white diamond and Steven in order to play it down and make it seem less dramatic, though it doesn't negate his criticisms.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

get that OUT of my face posted:

Additionally, someone in the comment section said that Konami is trying to go back into video games as a result of Japanese regulators coming down harder on gambling. That sounds like gently caress Konami News fodder if there ever was one.

Konami owns sports clubs and actual gambling machines worldwide. They're not suffering, so they're not exactly trying to get back into gamers' good graces.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

get that OUT of my face posted:

Couldn't happen to a nicer company

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

Konami owns sports clubs and actual gambling machines worldwide. They're not suffering, so they're not exactly trying to get back into gamers' good graces.

Pachinko was a big earner for them in Japan, and that cash cow has been taken out back and shot with the new regulations. Iirc, what actually changed was proper for-money gambling was legalized somewhat, so people don't have to bother with pseudo-gambling like Pachinko anymore. They can go to real slot machines instead.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Takoluka posted:

They also own Yu-Gi-Oh, which is probably the real thing that keeps them afloat.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pachinko was a big earner for them in Japan, and that cash cow has been taken out back and shot with the new regulations. Iirc, what actually changed was proper for-money gambling was legalized somewhat, so people don't have to bother with pseudo-gambling like Pachinko anymore. They can go to real slot machines instead.

SNK Playmore went down the same path but came back hard with The King of Fighters XIV and all of their big ACA NeoGeo releases. Konami as a boardroom of olds in suits probably doesn't have a major interest in a big return to consoles, since they indeed have Yu-Gi-Oh in multiple forms (TCG, Duel Links, and console games), their entire music arcade game legacy, Pro Evolution Soccer, and classic compilations and re-releases. Like, the Rondo/SotN PS4 set probably cost 4 figures and a week to put together, and it easily made way more than they put into it. There's no good business reason to make a new AAA Silent Hill or Metal Gear except to cater to people who hate them, so they're not going to do it.

I just wish they'd let the Hudson crew out of their basement prison so we can get some more Bomberman titles.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The lesson here is FucKonami

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Takoluka posted:

I just wish they'd let the Hudson crew out of their basement prison so we can get some more Bomberman titles.

considering how godfuckinawful super bomberman r was, i'd prefer that series just stay dead and buried at this point.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

considering how godfuckinawful super bomberman r was, i'd prefer that series just stay dead and buried at this point.

Super Bomberman R is a good game, and the multiplayer is super fun, especially with the bullshit super abilities of characters like Pyramid Head Bomber and Solid Snake Bomber. I will stand by that!!!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Takoluka posted:

Super Bomberman R is a good game, and the multiplayer is super fun, especially with the bullshit super abilities of characters like Pyramid Head Bomber and Solid Snake Bomber. I will stand by that!!!

i do not understand how anyone can possibly hold this opinion if they have played literally any other bomberman game. it fuckin sucks, like really goddam hard. i mean, they hosed it up so bad that somehow it fuckin launched with major input lag that made it completely unplayable.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 16, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i do not understand how anyone can possibly hold this opinion if they have played literally any other bomberman game. it fuckin sucks, like really goddam hard. i mean, they hosed it up so bad that somehow it fuckin launched with major input lag that made it completely unplayable.

I recently played it with friends, and we had a good enough time that we wanna play again! It's great!!!! And we've all played Saturn Bomberman and Bomberman 64. Do you have any other recommendations?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Bomberman: Act Zero

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s loving Bomberman. The single player sucks, and it’s really annoying everything in multiplayer is locked behind tedious grinds, but every time I load it up everyone has a great time.

I bought a loving multi-tap to play Super Bomberman whenever I rented it, so I have a long history with the series.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

bomberman sucked at launch but its been patched a lot and is good now

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Takoluka posted:

I recently played it with friends, and we had a good enough time that we wanna play again! It's great!!!! And we've all played Saturn Bomberman and Bomberman 64. Do you have any other recommendations?

A TG16 Mini with hori's multitap is going to become the gold standard for proper bomberman.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m super nostalgic for the adventure modes from Bomberman 64, Generations, and Jetters and even if they weren’t actually all that great I still miss them :(

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Which was the Bomberman with Pommy, because my friend and I spent what must have been days grinding in that game to get a decent monster buddy.

And for all that effort he still goes and hides during boss fights, the little scamp.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Bonaventure posted:

Bomberman: Act Zero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-faMPGg-F4

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Alacron posted:

Which was the Bomberman with Pommy, because my friend and I spent what must have been days grinding in that game to get a decent monster buddy.

And for all that effort he still goes and hides during boss fights, the little scamp.

Bomberman 64: The Second Attack

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Takoluka posted:

I wish they'd let everyone they own in general out of their ball bearing slave mines, just squatting on IPs forever should get them taken away. :colbert:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CYBEReris posted:

bomberman sucked at launch but its been patched a lot and is good now

always great when it takes multiple patches to make a game as simple and old as bomberman actually playable.

yes. the series was perfected with '93 and frankly they're better off just re-releasing that in perpetuity if the alternative is making games with severe input lag and awful cameras that runs at 30fps.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Sam Faust posted:

Bomberman 64: The Second Attack

Thank you.

I seem to remember that both of those games had some pretty wild puzzles in them. 64 had all the weird bomb bouncing stuff, and 2nd had all the different element bombs.

Also 2nd had a character named Bulzeeb, which I still remember because it's such a weird name.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

always great when it takes multiple patches to make a game as simple and old as bomberman actually playable.

But enough about Tetris Ultimate!!!

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Yardbomb posted:

I wish they'd let everyone they own in general out of their ball bearing slave mines, just squatting on IPs forever should get them taken away. :colbert:

I'd like to see a new Twinbee game sometime.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is that related to Buck Bumble? That has an awesome theme song you know!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder what happened to Steven Universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg06xOuLjf0

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There’s this attitude I’ll never get from a portion of the fandom where the show about teaching kids empathy and self-love is at some point obligated to “Grow Up” and teach them about how some people are monsters that need to be put down. It’s like wanting Mr Rogers to teach your kids Krav Maga

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

I wonder what happened to Steven Universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg06xOuLjf0

It had a really good finale and movie

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Augus posted:

There’s this attitude I’ll never get from a portion of the fandom where the show about teaching kids empathy and self-love is at some point obligated to “Grow Up” and teach them about how some people are monsters that need to be put down. It’s like wanting Mr Rogers to teach your kids Krav Maga

Won't you be my neighborsparring partner?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Augus posted:

It’s like wanting Mr Rogers to teach your kids Krav Maga
Well, now that you mention it, that seems pretty cool

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Augus posted:

Its because theyre 30 year olds making/watching 40 minute long dissertations about childrens cartoons, OP

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ArfJason posted:

Its because theyre 30 year olds making/watching 40 minute long dissertations about childrens cartoons, OP

I wonder how much kids` media is being distorted because of an older, louder, and more financially and socially established fandom crowding out the supposed target audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wonder how much kids` media is being distorted because of an older, louder, and more financially and socially established fandom crowding out the supposed target audience.

That's a hilarious and depressing thing to think about.