Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Lords of Salem for sure, my only nitpick with it is the third act drags a little bit, like it reaches a point where every character has pretty much served every purpose they're going to serve/learned and done whatever they're doing to learn and do and it feels like it just repeats itself a couple of times before the very end. Loved it though.

I hated House of 1,000 Corpses the first time I saw it but appreciated it a lot more when I saw it again a couple of years ago.

I.......have somehow never seen The Devil's Rejects, I'll fix in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, maybe my recent rewatch of House was tainted by Chris Hardwick being in it, after finding out what a creepy turd he is. Jerry's obnoxious, but it feels like we're supposed to find him "endearing" in some way and every line out of Hardwick's mouth was like a slap in the face.

Sid Haig was and still is the best part of House of 1000 Corpses. He's overshadowed by Bill Moseley in the sequel, but he's at peak Spaulding in the first movie.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I feel mixed with Rob Zombie's stuff in general, more pointed towards Halloween and The Devil's Rejects. I know it's a weird thing to say about a horror film, but it's all just so unpleasant, if that makes sense. Like in Halloween it feels like almost everyone involved, or a majority of them at least, are just so exhaustion-inducingly terrible that even when they get killed it off it somehow doesn't feel satisfying. Except for Danny Trejo's character who was the most pleasant guy in both films and had to be killed off. Everything I've seen or heard about The Devil's Rejects makes it look overly edgy and like it'd be more annoying than horrifying to watch.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Irony.or.Death posted:

That's theoretically possible and I've never seen Buffy so I can't be 100% sure, but the first episode of Angel was completely unwatchable so I assume Buffy is better by default.

P.S. if anyone ever tries to make you watch Angel you should cut and run it's not worth whatever they're offering

In Horror news, also going to 3 From Hell tonight. I don't think I hated House of 1000 Corpses as much as people and I also didn't love Devil's Rejects as much, so I'm mostly sad he's not following the Lords of Salem thread instead but still pretty stoked. Lords of Salem was really good.

But if you don't watch Angel you won't see the "Smile Time" episode. The "Smile Time" episode is just distilled awesome for your eyeballs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Devils Rejects has such a unique style. It’s so well done.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was just thinking, are there any good ghost movies where it's not actually a ghost, but a gas leak, or the scary amusement park owner?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Shudder's Creepshow series premiere is getting good reviews. Sounds like it's pure schlocky practical-effects fun even if it has some narrative issues.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 16, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if anyone's going to the boston premier of 3FH post here and ill buy u a beer before the screening

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

TheLoneStar posted:

I feel mixed with Rob Zombie's stuff in general, more pointed towards Halloween and The Devil's Rejects. I know it's a weird thing to say about a horror film, but it's all just so unpleasant, if that makes sense. Like in Halloween it feels like almost everyone involved, or a majority of them at least, are just so exhaustion-inducingly terrible that even when they get killed it off it somehow doesn't feel satisfying. Except for Danny Trejo's character who was the most pleasant guy in both films and had to be killed off. Everything I've seen or heard about The Devil's Rejects makes it look overly edgy and like it'd be more annoying than horrifying to watch.

I mean Texas Chainsaw is extremely unpleasant and also the greatest horror movie of all time

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

TheLoneStar posted:

The Devil's Rejects is definitely unpleasant and upsetting sometimes, I didn't like it the first time I watched it for that reason. I rewatched it a few years later though and loved it.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

I really like House of 1000 Corpses. Nobody itt seems to agree that it's good.

I prefer it Devil's Rejects; it just has a fun carny/back road haunt vibe imo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well, I'm glad my post brought the House of 1000 Corpses supporters out of the woodwork. Always nice to know you aren't alone!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Devil’s Rejects is extremely not for everybody. If you can’t handle sexual violence or torture especially. I think it’s an outstanding movie but I don’t begrudge anyone who can’t see past that stuff.

The scenes involving the motel and the folk band really are the deal-breaker for a lot of people. It's a kind of visceral intensity that you really don't get in mainstream horror and if you show Devil's Rejects to someone who's not very experienced in the genre they might not like it at all.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 16, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Devil’s Rejects is extremely not for everybody. If you can’t handle sexual violence or torture especially. I think it’s an outstanding movie but I don’t begrudge anyone who can’t see past that stuff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I ADORE both Corpses and Rejects, but in my experience people who are casually into horror or aren't super into horror generally have a good time with Ho1C because it's a little more "fun", less mean, more kinda wacky and if you're a fan of Rob Zombie's music it definitely fits that aesthetic more.

Rejects is unique as gently caress but it's also unflinchingly violent and dripping with malice despite there being a lot of comedy in it, so horror fans tend to gravitate more towards that imo while people who aren't as into horror can find it a little too mean or overwhelming.

Both of them are in my top movies of all time but I prefer Rejects over Corpses personally.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I forgot to post about the Friday the 13th screening I went to.

First off, it was a sold out screening, so it was a literal blockbuster, including people in shirts and costumes/masks.

There was a banner inside that said "Welcome Campers!" The theater's staff was dressed as 80's camp counselors, complete with short shorts, nametags, and whistles.

One of the camp counselors--"Chevin"--did the introductions for the show. This included "camp rules". He noticed a person had brought it outside food--a cupcake from the local bakery next door--and made an example of them. They passed out free condoms for safe sex.

They started talking various trivia about the film--the naming, Tom Savini, the beginning trend of holiday slashers, and also about Harry Manfredini's score and the famous "ki ki ki ma ma ma" sound. They asked the audio technician for an example, and the stalking music began to play. They then asked for the stalking music to be cut-off, but it kept playing. They called the audio technician's name, but got zero response. When suddenly JASON comes out with a machete, headed towards the camp counselor!

The panicked camp counselor tried to slow down Jason. He then stole the cupcake from the woman who brought in outside food. Then he lit a candle, and got everyone to sing Happy Birthday to Jason, which made Jason stop trying to kill him. Jason took the cupcake and then left. When he was out of earshot, he said "No one tell Jason his birthday is actually June 13th, and not in September."

Then the movie began! Which was great. The audience was totally into it, and not in an obnoxious way.

Oh, and I went out for a beer about twenty minutes into the movie, and the guy that played Jason gave me the cupcake. It was very nice of him.

Fun night! I seriously love this flawed silly movie.

Thoughts on this viewing of F13: Brenda is excellent. Laurie Bartram is one of the best parts in the film, even though her character has less development than any other characters besides Bill. In just her few lines, you can tell she's an animal-loving vegetarian, and really into nutrition and health sciences, has first aid training including CPR, and is fun enough to drink, smoke pot and suggest Strip Monopoly but also responsible enough to know when to leave the party to take care of her cabin (she leaves the windows open), and is willing to leave her own safety to try and help a hurt child calling for help. And yet she has barely any lines, and very little action in the film.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

I ADORE both Corpses and Rejects, but in my experience people who are casually into horror or aren't super into horror generally have a good time with Ho1C because it's a little more "fun", less mean, more kinda wacky and if you're a fan of Rob Zombie's music it definitely fits that aesthetic more.

Rejects is unique as gently caress but it's also unflinchingly violent and dripping with malice despite there being a lot of comedy in it, so horror fans tend to gravitate more towards that imo while people who aren't as into horror can find it a little too mean or overwhelming.

Both of them are in my top movies of all time but I prefer Rejects over Corpses personally.

I actually think it’s the opposite, Rejects has more drama and feels more like a crime film whereas 1000 Corpses is very much so playing to a crowd who understand and appreciates its love for the horror movies that so clearly inspired it.

I always liked 1000 Corpses better. They are both good but there is a goofy charm to 1000 Corpses. I love the colors and the spookhouse environment. It’s not perfect but it’s really fun.

Rejects has an acid-western serial killler vibe that’s great but not nearly my poo poo as the first.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

It's a kind of visceral intensity that you really don't get in mainstream horror and if you show Devil's Rejects to someone who's not very experienced in the genre they might not like it at all.

My fiance admits when I chose it for the movie to see on our first date that he thought it might be a chick flick of some kind as he really wasn't into horror at all at the time, and his past dates always chose films like The Notebook.

Yeah, it was a bit of a surprise for him, but he did like it. He even used it as an example for a law class he was taking for how a good lawyer could've gotten some charges dropped for the Fireflys.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

M_Sinistrari posted:

My fiance admits when I chose it for the movie to see on our first date that he thought it might be a chick flick of some kind as he really wasn't into horror at all at the time, and his past dates always chose films like The Notebook.

Yeah, it was a bit of a surprise for him, but he did like it. He even used it as an example for a law class he was taking for how a good lawyer could've gotten some charges dropped for the Fireflys.

that's a hell of a first date movie

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

WeaponX posted:

I actually think it’s the opposite, Rejects has more drama and feels more like a crime film whereas 1000 Corpses is very much so playing to a crowd who understand and appreciates its love for the horror movies that so clearly inspired it.

I always liked 1000 Corpses better. They are both good but there is a goofy charm to 1000 Corpses. I love the colors and the spookhouse environment. It’s not perfect but it’s really fun.

Rejects has an acid-western serial killler vibe that’s great but not nearly my poo poo as the first.

I mean I agree with everything you say here, (except I prefer Rejects) but I think Ho1C's goofy charm is exactly what makes it more palatable to a less horror inclined audience. Whereas the torture and sex crimes and general nastiness of Reject's tends to turn a less horror-inclined viewer off of the film, as it's def got that acid-Western-serial killer vibe you talked about (that's actually a fantastic description of it tbh) but that's pretty loving niche.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I just wish Rejects didn’t have Freebird at the end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The motel scene is just really really nasty. I get nauseous watching it, it's a little too real for me to "enjoy" it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Is it worth seeing It 2 in 4DX or AVX? I'm able to get a free ticket but not sure if I'd rather save it for The Lighthouse or something.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

Is it worth seeing It 2 in 4DX or AVX? I'm able to get a free ticket but not sure if I'd rather save it for The Lighthouse or something.

Probably? If anything, it'll keep you awake. I don't think The Lighthouse is going to have any of that gimmicky stuff attached to it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

i hate Freebird as much as anybody but I think that's actually the only time in film i've ever been like "wow i actually don't mind it here" it fits i think

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

See, I was always of the camp that House of 1000 Corpses is the more fun horror movie that feels like a fun wink at all his obvious influences. I do like Rejects, just not as much as House. I parrot the sentiment that Rejects feels more like a gritty crime drama/horror movie and for some reason, I recall it being better received by mainstream critics? Could be completely wrong there.

I'm prepping for my yearly Halloween party and guests are attempting to veto classics like Deadly Detour and Monsturd...cowards.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

I loving hate Skynyrd but it works for that scene

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

i hate Freebird as much as anybody but I think that's actually the only time in film i've ever been like "wow i actually don't mind it here" it fits i think

It's the only reason I like that song. I hear it and I go "gently caress yeah Devils Rejects."

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I loving hate Skynyrd but it works for that scene

I don’t have strong feelings about Skynyrd and I recoiled at it in embarrassment. Subjective I guess.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

It's the only reason I like that song. I hear it and I go "gently caress yeah Devils Rejects."

...Not Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas???

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t have strong feelings about Skynyrd and I recoiled at it in embarrassment. Subjective I guess.

You're right, it should have been "That Smell".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I never played San Andreas.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

...Not Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas???

You're right, it should have been "That Smell".

Would have been better. Sweet Home Alabama is the only thing they did that could be worse.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Skynyrd owns, gently caress y'all. One of the most misunderstood bands of all time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

Skynyrd owns, gently caress y'all. One of the most misunderstood bands of all time.

They're literally one of the most well-regarded rock bands through-out the world. I think their reputation will be fine.

Also, they're from my home town, so I'm allowed to say gently caress 'em.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It’s not necessarily about Skynyrd with me, it’s about picking a song that’s been played on every classic rock station multiple times a day for literally decades and slapping it on the climax of your movie. It’s incredibly distracting. Not to mention that it’s the joke song that drunks yell at bar bands to play, or that it’s been used in TV commercials multiple times.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I scream “play freebird” to my friends at parties

and then they play freebird

Wtf.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the Devil's Rejects also features a great needledrop of the good version of Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers

Drunkboxer posted:

It’s not necessarily about Skynyrd with me, it’s about picking a song that’s been played on every classic rock station multiple times a day for literally decades and slapping it on the climax of your movie. It’s incredibly distracting. Not to mention that it’s the joke song that drunks yell at bar bands to play, or that it’s been used in TV commercials multiple times.

it works specifically because it's such a cultural touchstone imo. that scene calls for the ultimate dirtbag "you'll never take me alive" '70s rock song.

and then the music cuts out to remind you that no, this is not a romantic band of outlaws, these are ugly violent people dying an ugly violent death

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Drunkboxer posted:

Would have been better. Sweet Home Alabama is the only thing they did that could be worse.

Though it did work in Con Air because it gave us:

"A bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died... in a plane crash."

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Necrotizer F posted:

Though it did work in Con Air because it gave us:

"A bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died... in a plane crash."

Final Destination did this gag better with John Denver's Leaving on a Jet Plane.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Final Destination did this gag better with John Denver's Leaving on a Jet Plane.

it was Rocky Mountain High iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it was Rocky Mountain High iirc

drat. The joke's still there, just not as on-the-nose.