Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

King Of Coons posted:

“Almost unparalleled “ seems like a gross exaggeration. I can name 5 better coaches off the top of my head and one of them is aui

I like bulba too but I don’t know where you’re getting this Vince Lombardi poo poo from

Bulba:
1st at TI, 3rd at TI, 5/6th at TI, tons of top 3 results at other majors

Aui_2000:
lmao

Bulba is a really, really good coach and also a fantastic drafter. The idea that he's not is moronic. There are other coaches who have good resumes as well - QQQ, Rotk, SunBhie, and Heen are the biggest ones, and then Ceb is another good coach, but Bulba has coaches a lot of different teams to fantastic results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Do not respond to neo Craptacular

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

why is bulba an rear end in a top hat

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I dunno if he is an rear end in a top hat but his drafts suck

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Andrast posted:

nobody remembers the losers :colbert:

idk everyone remembers EE pretty well

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Can confirm that Bulba is a cool dude and not an rear end in a top hat.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Bulba invented basically every hero and eliminated LGD in ti3

Put some fuckin respect

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I don't hate Bulba and according to Cr1t he doesn't draft for them but if that's true it really begs the question of wtf he does in the booth and maybe if he did less or more of whatever the hell it is EG wouldn't look so consistently outdrafted.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Super Rad posted:

I don't hate Bulba and according to Cr1t he doesn't draft for them but if that's true it really begs the question of wtf he does in the booth and maybe if he did less or more of whatever the hell it is EG wouldn't look so consistently outdrafted.

eg's drafts are poo poo all the time because the hero pools of everyone on eg are poo poo

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Zurreco posted:

Can confirm that Bulba is a cool dude and not an rear end in a top hat.

Seems like someone has not seen him call people spics in pubs

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Seems like someone has not seen him call people spics in pubs

oof

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Super Rad posted:

I always thought Fly was in the vein of Kuroky/Puppey where he always has to make the final call for drafting picks, using the coach to bounce ideas off of. I'm a firm believer in Bulba and I think that the crappy drafts were due to the lovely EG hero pool.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Lady Galaga posted:

I always thought Fly was in the vein of Kuroky/Puppey where he always has to make the final call for drafting picks, using the coach to bounce ideas off of. I'm a firm believer in Bulba and I think that the crappy drafts were due to the lovely EG hero pool.

That's kind of the problem though. A coach should be able to tell players "hey, these are the heroes you guys need to be able to play and should be practicing." The coach is exactly the person you'd expect to be trying to remedy the bad hero pool situation. Bulba is like a "cool mom" who lets their kid drink wine coolers and wants to hang out with all their kids friends but has done an incredibly bad job of preparing them for real-life responsibilities

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

That's kind of the problem though. A coach should be able to tell players "hey, these are the heroes you guys need to be able to play and should be practicing." The coach is exactly the person you'd expect to be trying to remedy the bad hero pool situation. Bulba is like a "cool mom" who lets their kid drink wine coolers and wants to hang out with all their kids friends but has done an incredibly bad job of preparing them for real-life responsibilities

you sound very knowledgable about what goes on in the EG boot camp; did you spend your summer there or are you just friends with the staff?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sampatrick posted:

you sound very knowledgable about what goes on in the EG boot camp; did you spend your summer there or are you just friends with the staff?

Do you have any refutations or concerns with my points about a coaches responsibilities on a team

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
who on eg is the stud that players want to play with

is ramzes an rtz fangay??

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
or maybe its legendary coach mr sam bulba

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Sampatrick posted:

Bulba:
1st at TI

No?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Bulba was the coach for EG at TI5

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Hmm, apparently so. I even watched that entire main event and I don't remember seeing him at all. :shrug:

I know coaches were less of a thing back then, but I've even been rewatching a lot of old main event VODs and was loving seeing Ceb as panel talent and Bulba really doesn't seem to come up as much as PPD in analysis.

Edit: Yeah seems like he was an entirely backstage thing back then? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPhIwx6E4Wo you don't even see him anywhere with them in these videos.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 17, 2019

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Lady Galaga posted:

Fly left OG and then they won two TIs back to back so I'm certainly willing to believe Fly is a big part of the problem, which again raises the question of what it is exactly that Bulba does in the booth while Fly is drafting. I mean you can see him in there with a poo poo eating grin on his face the entire time, sometimes they do that coach interview thing post-draft where he's always super optimistic and thinks EG totally have it even though they are obviously outdrafted. Idk if he's not drafting and not making good suggestions and not trying to correct any of mistakes they make over and over again, if he's not encouraging them to grow their hero pools... then either EG are not making good use of him or he's loving useless

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
it is also possible that they have confidence in the heroes that they think are good or scenarios where they think a lineup is good but that confidence is misplaced. if eg was right about all the heroes that are good and when certain lineups are good, they probably would have won ti because that is usually what makes a team win ti.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Super Rad posted:

Fly left OG and then they won two TIs back to back so I'm certainly willing to believe Fly is a big part of the problem, which again raises the question of what it is exactly that Bulba does in the booth while Fly is drafting. I mean you can see him in there with a poo poo eating grin on his face the entire time, sometimes they do that coach interview thing post-draft where he's always super optimistic and thinks EG totally have it even though they are obviously outdrafted. Idk if he's not drafting and not making good suggestions and not trying to correct any of mistakes they make over and over again, if he's not encouraging them to grow their hero pools... then either EG are not making good use of him or he's loving useless

I feel it's more of a question of playstyles rather than the pools, Notail and Fly currently play the same role but Notail with a wider hero pool plays more proactive and aggressive along with his team, Fly sticks to playing pos6 type heroes protecting their cores with saves for his team. What is more scary, an early-mid gank team of Jerax Notail and Ceb roaming around versus Fly and Cr1t making plays around Sumail / S4 (now Abed / Ramzes)?

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 17, 2019

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

You can be successful without actually winning by consistently placing in the top, oh let's say three, of major tournaments.

The manager who proves you don't need trophies to be a winner but he is a winner

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Any team that doesn't win TI is bad. Then if you do win TI we may still call you bad. But we also might not. Depends.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Tenkaris posted:

Edit: Yeah seems like he was an entirely backstage thing back then?

In either Ceb's blog or recent interviews he says coaches only started getting more attention when he started coaching in 2016, soon after he begun to coach was when they started letting coaches into booths to make drafting decisions.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

EG at TI8 had like 75 heroes drafted. TI9 they had 55. Whatever they practiced during bootcamp didn't pan out bc it was too shallow I guess

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tenkaris posted:

Hmm, apparently so. I even watched that entire main event and I don't remember seeing him at all. :shrug:

I know coaches were less of a thing back then, but I've even been rewatching a lot of old main event VODs and was loving seeing Ceb as panel talent and Bulba really doesn't seem to come up as much as PPD in analysis.

Edit: Yeah seems like he was an entirely backstage thing back then? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPhIwx6E4Wo you don't even see him anywhere with them in these videos.

coaches weren't allowed in the booth until last year iirc

ppd has said in interviews that bulba was the one who noticed that nobody on CDEC played leshrac so they didn't have to ban it, and just gave him a lot of credit in general helping prepare for drafts

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://youtu.be/Nt-cHd-cEXA

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Kild posted:

EG at TI8 had like 75 heroes drafted. TI9 they had 55. Whatever they practiced during bootcamp didn't pan out bc it was too shallow I guess

They really liked Lifestealer and Gyro. Gyro was a good hero, but EG didn't see much success with it, and Lifestealer was their preferred carry and that obviously went super badly for them. EG somehow didn't end up playing any Void or any WK on the main stage which is, y'know, pretty unusual. I'm not sure why they thought Void was so bad but clearly it didn't work out for them.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
need 96 spacejam to post any remaining team rumors plz

in spirit EG got 3rd at TI9 because they only lost to the top 2 finishers QED

emdash fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 17, 2019

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/Team_JStorm/status/1174016918950334464?s=20

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RESOLTU1ON

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Hopefully fear will play something else but ogre this time

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Extremely excited for Fear to continue tarnishing his legacy

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

It's been proven time and time again that Clinton "Fear" Loomis is one of the few who knows what it takes to truly be a top player in the DotA community.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Still waiting for the teamup of Moo, Mooz, Moon, Moonmeander, and Moogy. Coached by SunsFan.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://blog.dota2.com/2019/09/matchmaking-update-for-the-next-ranked-season/

for those of you who still play, a bunch of (potentially) good changes coming to ranked

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Somebody at Valve decided that Dota 2's player count falling year over year was a problem that needed fixing, evidently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
https://clips.twitch.tv/ShakingHotCasetteOptimizePrime

ana is literally the best player of all time