Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

insertdumbnamehere posted:

Quit tempting me! I already have the maximum amount of cats allowed by my living situation.

Uh you can just keep this one hidden in your beard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
how many is too many? uh.. asking for a friend.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/foster-train-blind-deaf-puppy

this lady is a level of saint i cant even comprehend but OMG puppo i would try

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

quote:

No, it's not always easy. But that's because puppies aren't easy. They are squirming, pooping, biting little balls of hellfire that we forgive because they fall asleep in our laps and wag their tails when they know we are near.

:hmmyes:

this is why what we do

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got a Lizzie update today. She is 8 weeks old, about 2 pounds, loves playing with toys, and has given up the bottle. :3:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I got a Lizzie update today. She is 8 weeks old, about 2 pounds, loves playing with toys, and has given up the bottle. :3:

Lookit that little life you saved :kimchi: I'm so glad she's doing well.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

What a cute little shithead. Great job, IMG.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I. M. Gei posted:

And she looks so fancy in that purple collar! :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you are a good person

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
So.

Sigh.

Miss frog found a kitten.

Again.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

sneakyfrog posted:

So.

Sigh.

Miss frog found a kitten.

Again.

hmm your pictures aren't loading for some reason.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Lookit that scraggly baby :kimchi:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Kitten seems well adjusted and fully functional. Of course it's right before we go on a trip though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:3: stupid loving kittens

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
took it to the vet this morning and the vet just rolls their eyes at me.

"another one huh"

6 weeks old, 0.9 pounds. seems in perfect health. vet was still iffy about the sex as its kinda hard to tell this young.

so i figured id cover my bases and name it appropriately (and also get back at miss frog for naming one fish)

so for now its miss tyrannosaurus rex

i'll get pictures up when the lil bugger is worn out for now its doing that dancefighting with my feet and hands every time i go into the guest room

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

https://imgur.com/qjiocy6

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Good frogs.

What’s your relationship with the vet like?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
they are about a block and a half away and tend to be able to get a new one in or check out any of my animals within an hour if i call. id say they think im the biggest sucker on the planet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

sneakyfrog posted:

they are about a block and a half away and tend to be able to get a new one in or check out any of my animals within an hour if i call. id say they think im the biggest sucker on the planet.

“We have a new fleet billing policy for rescues and shelters, perhaps you’d be interested”

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
at this point making a 501c3 wouldn't be a horrible idea

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

at this point making a 501c3 wouldn't be a horrible idea

Put a sign by your house with an enclosure underneath - "Frog Family Pet Rescue: You're All Horrible Monsters!"

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
This fella came from the local shelter and has grown from a little white walker into a handsome businesscat.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
very distinguished.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
doin a business here :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so after a week or so of travelling..

hey guys look.

kitten and dog update

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So I wanna type up a big thing because that's how I deal with emotional stuff. This is a big story but it's a rescue story so hopefully this thread's a good place for it.

About 14 years back, I picked up my cat Jade at a shelter. I've always loved cats and was thrilled when I first got one. That night I was an utter, utter wreck. I was super, super anxious about suddenly having another living being relying on me, because I often feel like I can barely take care of myself. I was anxious for a few days and eventually everything evened out and I was OK. And for 12 years everything was fantastic.

Fast forward 12 years. She was not eating much of her food but she loved her treats so I chalked it up to being picky. Everyone mentioned she's getting older and I couldn't face that so I kind of just acknowledged it and moved on. I gave her more treats and snuggled her and watched for changes. Then one day she wouldn't eat ANYTHING. I immediately went to the E-vet, she had an abscessed tooth. But while we were there she started shaking during the exam. The e-vet kept her there to do tests, and she was also diabetic and had other blood issues. They gave her a transfusion, they did everything, but after 3 days she just wasn't recovering and I had to make the choice. I was utterly devastated - I felt like the abscess was my fault because I could never get her to let me brush her teeth, because I didn't get her teeth checked, the diabetes was my fault for giving her too many treats, etc. Truth be told I'm still basically in that mindset. Other people tell me it's not my fault but I still feel it is because I kind of just always take on guilt like that.

It's been 2 years almost (In november) and I felt like perhaps it was time to get a new cat. Yesterday there was an adoption event, so I thought that perhaps it was time. I went, I looked at the kitties, I felt SUPER emotional but I thought I better push through it. And I found one kitty who was incredibly friendly. She let me fuss her tummy, she was gentle with her claws and teeth, and it seemed really a good match. So I adopted her.

It only took her an hour or two of hiding to get comfortable at my house. She grew OK with me super fast, had no problems with the food or water or litter box, and is playful and zoomy and great. Last night she cuddled up for bed and aside from being TOO playful at 4am and having to get kicked out of the room for clawing (gently) my scalp and wanting to play, everything was good. That I'm not worried and OK with working out.

The problem and the reason I had to type up a TL;DR is that apparently 2 years wasn't enough time for me. I can't stop thinking about my old cat; getting a new one basically ripped open that old wound. I'm anxious and depressed and trying to be a good person and play with the new cat and make her happy, but I keep lapsing into bouts of being super sad or panicking over literally nothing. I'm sad that Jade isn't around, I'm frustrated that I can't get past this anxiousness and depression, I'm trying to get used to a new cat and get over things. I've got a history of anxiety and am on a SSRI, but that hasn't beeen enough today. I even called the new cat 'Jade' once already by habit and it hit me like a punch in the gut.

I won't take her back, I literally cannot abandon a cat who needs a forever home, that would make me even more broken up. It's just so drat overwhelming. I expected that the 'new cat anxiety' was only due to having never owned one before, and that it wouldn't happen this time but holy poo poo was I wrong.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 15, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time. Grief can be messy and weird and ambush you even after you "should" be over it, and it's totally normal and okay that you're feeling the way you feel; you're returning to cat ownership, and it makes sense that that'd stir up old feelings that have been lying dormant a while. Give yourself time, and consider talking to a therapist or someone else who can support you.

One thing I will say, though: if time doesn't help and taking care of her is a serious mental strain on you, please don't feel guilty about potentially bringing her back to the shelter. I don't know your personal shelter situation, but most of the ones I've known are happy to take animals back if the adoption doesn't work out, and sometimes adoptions legitimately just don't work even with the best of intentions. I hope things work out for you and the new kitty, but if they don't, it's okay to return her to the shelter so she can find another home.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if it helps pal I know I articulated my experience with my cat mo like umpteen decades ago in this thread but even now years and years later, its still just as raw as it ever was and I still get all teary-eyed over it. My suggestion would be that while forgiving yourself is the hardest possible thing to do, you really have nothing to feel bad for (yes I know that's what everyone says) losing a good long term pal is super rough, and no other cat or dog or whatever will ever fit that exact hole in your heart no matter what. That is literally why they matter so much and why its worth using that heart and passion to make another animal happy, well taken cared of and loved. Grief is a bitch, and as the previous poster mentioned if you aren't ready you aren't ready. On the other hand, in the process of collecting the sneakyhorde I wasn't ever ready for any of it, (of course them just practically ringing my doorbell doesn't help either) trust yourself and trust your heart. The experiences you had previous will only make you better, and more attentive and a more experienced pet owner.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So I finally moved into a proper house in the country and I'm strongly considering fostering kittens for the local shelter. I have a spare bedroom with a wood floor and I'm trying to make a list of all the things I'd need for this project. I can keep them isolated from the main house/my cats pretty easily, but I'd love any advice more experienced fosters have before I jump into this!

If I get everything set up like I want to I'll have pictures soon and possibly a kitten-cam. (Probably middle of next month.)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you already seem to have time, desire and space. if you managed to get through the OP and think to yourself "yeah, I can do that" you are better prepared than most.

just be prepared to spend money on toys and other things that aren't really "required" but you'll end up doing it anyways if you enjoy it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

mistaya posted:

So I finally moved into a proper house in the country and I'm strongly considering fostering kittens for the local shelter. I have a spare bedroom with a wood floor and I'm trying to make a list of all the things I'd need for this project. I can keep them isolated from the main house/my cats pretty easily, but I'd love any advice more experienced fosters have before I jump into this!

If I get everything set up like I want to I'll have pictures soon and possibly a kitten-cam. (Probably middle of next month.)

I'm also moving into my first house real soon, gonna turn the third bedroom into a combo home office and foster room. That was I can do work and socialize a lil bugger at the same time! In theory!

I'd recommend they have some place in there they can reasonably hide in. They'll appreciate a "safe" hidey hole as they familiarize with a new environment. Better if you can plan it so it's comfy and accessible for you if the need arises than for there to either be no such hidey-hole or if they improvise one where you don't want one (or try darting out).

Only worry I have is my main cat not liking another cat in the house and changing up her routines (pooping outside box, weird eating, more stressed). Hopefully she accommodates well enough.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:mad: kitten that is not how you do IT work

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

This is Poppy, we rescued her from a shelter on New year's Eve, 2018.

She started off really scrawny:

Then she got sick and blew snot bubbles for weeks and got even skinnier:

As she was getting better we found a brush she really liked.

Then as winter came upon us she started putting on her winter coat, and got a bit regal.

She's also got a really long tongue.

Hey true passion came out, laps.

Wherever she sits down she always wraps her tail around her paws.

And that's Poppy. She's a very good cat.]

Megabound fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 29, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
quality cattes and people :hmmyes:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Catte update : I got over the grief and mental poo poo I was going on about in the previous post.

I then posted images of my kitty to the orange cat thread, and to the calico/tortie thread, because my cat is half and half.

HOWEVER TODAY DISASTER STRUCK.

I thought I adopted a cat, but I seem to have mistakenly adopted a dog instead. Her cunning disguise wore off when she was exhausted after playing and started panting. Clearly dog behavior!

https://i.imgur.com/rODrIBa.mp4

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A+ cat. Would pet.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Your cat is gorgeous and adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Welp, back on the fostering train again.

Last week we took into our care a little black kitty, they reckon about a year old, who was found with nine (!) kittens. The folks who rescued her have been taking care of her with the kittens, but they're big enough to be getting independent, and she really need a bit of space (they have a lot of cats at their place, being the local cat rescue people in that neighbourhood, and there being a feral cat colony in a nearby park).

Her name is Bathsheba, although I'm tempted to be calling her Batshub-niggurath, the black cat of a thousand young. Her talents so far include making blanket forts and staying in them for 12+ hour stretches. She's intensely shy. So far we're just happy that she comes out at night to eat and use the litter box, and that she's occasionally let us get near enough to give our fingers a quick sniff.

I'll post photos once she's actually up to being in a place with decent light.