Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

lets talk about rainbow six patriots, a game so overloaded with obama era lib nonsense that it got cancelled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCQysh2Ci0c

Oh my God yes, the OWS are terrorists game that they planned. Good thing Ubisoft doesn't make political loving games!

God I tender how disgusted I was when this was announced.

And it's kind of weird how almost no one talks about how extremely fascist the very concept of The Division is. There was a bit of talk about it around the release of one, but even Jim Sterling's talk of how 2 is political kind of just stalled at the if you were a gun owner you survived. And no one really hammers home the whole government extrajudicially murdering Americans to "establish order" is extremely political, the point of the game, and incredibly fascist

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 23:50 on Sep 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Ubisoft sucks in general. I don't like any of the poo poo they make.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Ubisoft sucks in general. I don't like any of the poo poo they make.

Buck Bumble was really good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Oh my God yes, the OWS are terrorists game that they planned. Good thing Ubisoft doesn't make political loving games!

God I tender how disgusted I was when this was announced.

Setting all the political stuff aside, absolutely nothing about the scenario in that demo makes a single bit of loving sense. Why is Rainbow Six waiting for terrorists from the top of the Brooklyn Bridge? Why are terrorists fighting on the bridge when their goal is Times Square? They could've just driven there. There's no sane reason that there would be a shootout on the bridge, except as a weak excuse for a video game setpiece. If Manhattan was already in chaos, there wouldn't be tons of people on that bridge trying to get in and causing the traffic jam.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Setting all the political stuff aside, absolutely nothing about the scenario in that demo makes a single bit of loving sense. Why is Rainbow Six waiting for terrorists from the top of the Brooklyn Bridge? Why are terrorists fighting on the bridge when their goal is Times Square? They could've just driven there. There's no sane reason that there would be a shootout on the bridge, except as a weak excuse for a video game setpiece. If Manhattan was already in chaos, there wouldn't be tons of people on that bridge trying to get in and causing the traffic jam.

Cause they're super smart shootymans who will show those c nasty dumb left wingers whos boss

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

which game was it where in the opening chapter youre a cia agent helping some terrorist mastermind blow up a russian airport

i remember coverage of that being pretty nuts because the gaming press was gushing about the deep moral ambiguity of the situation

i wanna say this was around the time that zero dark thirty came out because it felt like they were just copying the same extremely dumb talking points about why that movie was brilliant too

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

which game was it where in the opening chapter youre a cia agent helping some terrorist mastermind blow up a russian airport

i remember coverage of that being pretty nuts because the gaming press was gushing about the deep moral ambiguity of the situation

i wanna say this was around the time that zero dark thirty came out because it felt like they were just copying the same extremely dumb talking points about why that movie was brilliant too

Modern Warfare 2 has you shoot up a Russian airport.

Modern Warfare 3 has Russia invade the US and Western Europe and minted aren't launched , those hackers got real chuddy real quick.

Tough I don't think anything tops Black Ops 2 when the Mujahedeen subdue protagonist and leave Holm buried up ro hiya neck on sand because even though they're fighting the USSR, America has always been the real enemy has always been America

Jump to 18 mintues in

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like how you have to resist being mind controlled into shooting the guy or something to make sure the scene stays video gamey but then someone else shoots him anyway and no one seems to have learned or accomplished anything

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I mostly quit playing Call of Duty after the original Modern Warfare. I love how the plot in Black Ops 2 involves a globe spanning conspiracy by a Nicaraguan drug lord to form a private army to destroy the United States. And it reaches all the way to the Mujahideen?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I mostly quit playing Call of Duty after the original Modern Warfare. I love how the plot in Black Ops 2 involves a globe spanning conspiracy by a Nicaraguan drug lord to form a private army to destroy the United States. And it reaches all the way to the Mujahideen?

I stopped playing COD after Black Ops, I pirated 2 to see the single player and after this cut scene I quit and uninstalled it and haven't looked back. Three World War 2 one head new intrigues but I heard it wasn't good

Black Ops 2 is so disgusting, the first level has you fighting with the UNITA rebels in Angola and routing the MPLA.

There's almost the idea that should just spring that all of the bad things that happen on the hanger come from the US doing poo poo in places it has no business, but you have ro squint to maybe get that because everything its played so straight

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thats just a baked in problem with the propaganda at this point the american military has spent so long loving around in areas it has no obvious strategic interests that question just pops up spontaneously time was you could just say that the soviets were doing it first they werent but theyre not the bogeyman they once were even if the democrats obviously wish they were

idiots will see this in pop culture and conclude that the work in question must be nuanced or deep to openly present a scenario where the justification for american military intervention is presented ambiguously completely ignoring the fact that all of these scenarios are in fact happening in the real world and the reason we dont hear more about them is because theyre such obviously pointlessly evil ideas that the government knows they cant actually sell them to us

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

also China

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

like look at korea thats a relatively benign case where american soldiers are just sort of inexplicably there and not actually killing anybody but in the aggressive lack of any actual reason for them to be there even trump gets moments where he wonders why korean military bases are even a thing

so to take the onus off of that pop culture and the intelligence services have teamed up to create a bizarre nonsensical fantasy version of north korea where commonly held knowledge frequently contradicts other bits of commonly held knowledge and the only way to maintain suspension of disbelief about how our leaders claim north korean culture works is to just avoid thinking about it

yeah im still salty about how a dumb racist stoner movie somehow became obamas grand stand for distracting everyone from how lovely the sonyleaks made hollywood look freedom and democracy on the korean peninsula what of it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

All of our enemies secretly being in cahoots with each other is the only possible way to make it look like America is threatened geopolitically.

Some Guy TT posted:

like look at korea thats a relatively benign case where american soldiers are just sort of inexplicably there and not actually killing anybody but in the aggressive lack of any actual reason for them to be there even trump gets moments where he wonders why korean military bases are even a thing

so to take the onus off of that pop culture and the intelligence services have teamed up to create a bizarre nonsensical fantasy version of north korea where commonly held knowledge frequently contradicts other bits of commonly held knowledge and the only way to maintain suspension of disbelief about how our leaders claim north korean culture works is to just avoid thinking about it

yeah im still salty about how a dumb racist stoner movie somehow became obamas grand stand for distracting everyone from how lovely the sonyleaks made hollywood look freedom and democracy on the korean peninsula what of it

The north koreans were a hair's breadth away from reunifying the peninsula, and then we stepped in and just destroyed their whole country. Half of South Korea too for good measure. Then we sat on South Korea and never left. Anybody would go insane after that. The sheer scale of American atrocity was enough to make McCarthur vomit, and there's never been any reconciliation for it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Didn't MacArthur want to just go full hog wild war atrocities and start nuking China to "liberate it" from Communism since, well we're at the border anyway

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

watch the host (2006) and mother (2009)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

just saw an ad for zombieland 2 and it reminded me that zombieland is classist trash

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

just saw an ad for zombieland 2 and it reminded me that zombieland is classist trash

Would you mind explaining? I recall liking the movie when I watched it several years ago, but just a very standard zombie movie set up.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Would you mind explaining? I recall liking the movie when I watched it several years ago, but just a very standard zombie movie set up.

yeah it's been a while for me too but as I recall all the zombies are people who ate gas station food (poor) or couldn't make it like the main character by being to slow, too dumb, too unwilling to shoot someone in the head or whatever I.e. losers in a meritocratic system. then the smug protagonists gleefully mow zombies down with luxury SUVs, it all struck me as pretty gross

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

if i was going to pick one thing to be bothered about zombieland it would probably be the twinkies

like i seriously cant tell if it was product placement or if the people who made that movie really did seriously believe that twinkies are some kind of magic god nectar

picking that of all foods to fetishize is admittedly kind of funny in the context of the fat person mockery though

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
have any of you had a gas station hamburger???

although, “Thank god for rednecks” said from the cabin of the latest Hummer model was a little jarring.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Didn't MacArthur want to just go full hog wild war atrocities and start nuking China to "liberate it" from Communism since, well we're at the border anyway

it’s one thing to have an abstract idea of nuking China, and another thing to actually see the kind of absolute deprivation people were reduced to by the US firebombing campaign on Korea.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

yeah it's been a while for me too but as I recall all the zombies are people who ate gas station food (poor) or couldn't make it like the main character by being to slow, too dumb, too unwilling to shoot someone in the head or whatever I.e. losers in a meritocratic system. then the smug protagonists gleefully mow zombies down with luxury SUVs, it all struck me as pretty gross

Yeah, thinking it like that I can see that angle, though it really gets muddled with things like the zombie survival guide that was popular at the time. But yeah that reeks a lot of Obama era poo poo.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it’s one thing to have an abstract idea of nuking China, and another thing to actually see the kind of absolute deprivation people were reduced to by the US firebombing campaign on Korea.

I don't know, MacArthur was a racist monster so I wouldn't mind a source on this because I just have such a hard time thinking he had arbut shred of humanity.

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 13:37 on Sep 17, 2019

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

if i was going to pick one thing to be bothered about zombieland it would probably be the twinkies

like i seriously cant tell if it was product placement or if the people who made that movie really did seriously believe that twinkies are some kind of magic god nectar

picking that of all foods to fetishize is admittedly kind of funny in the context of the fat person mockery though

It's been years and years since I've seen it but I'd imagine the twinkie thing is just the old urban legend that they last forever.

Also to go back Call of Duty the best part of "No Russian" (the shoot up an airport level) is you're a cia agent working with russian terrorists and at the very loving end as you're leaving they shoot you knowing full well you were an american and out you in the media so america gets blamed for causing the worst terrorist attack in russian history.

Serf
May 5, 2011

zombieland is a remarkably low-energy movie with a main character who today would be understood as an incel

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Woody Harrelson was good though

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Sep 17, 2019

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

why does the king of the koopas turn so much to necromancy between supers mario 1 and 3

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Peanut President posted:

It's been years and years since I've seen it but I'd imagine the twinkie thing is just the old urban legend that they last forever.

Woody Harrelson's character specifically calls that out and says that his quest is more urgent because they do, in fact, expire.

Shuan of the Dead was the better rom zom com.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

something that I've found frustrating since my turn leftward has been how unassailable the consensus is that it was North Korea that "invaded" during that conflict

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Woody Harrelson's character specifically calls that out and says that his quest is more urgent because they do, in fact, expire.

Ah, like I said it's been years.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's pro-life propaganda, OP

I liked it too and I didn't see it as pro-life. I mean climate change is about to wreck humanity just as hard as the monsters in that movie and having a child isn't currently considered a radical pro-life move.

Anyway thanks for your comment because it led me to find Richard Brody of the New Yorker's review and holy loving poo poo he's so dumb lmao.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

I wouldn't mind a source on this

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/08/21/we-burned-down-every-town-in-north-korea/

how about his own testimony to congress?

quote:

After Truman fired Gen. MacArthur in May 1951, the former supreme commander testified to Congress, “The war in Korea has already almost destroyed that nation of 20 million people. I have never seen such devastation. I have seen, I guess, as much blood and disaster as any living man, and it just curdled my stomach, the last time I was there. After I looked at that wreckage and those thousands of women and children … I vomited.”

McCarthur disputed that he recommended using nukes on China, but he did secretly promise allied governments that he'd carry the war into Communist China to try and take out Mao's government. That's why he was sacked by Truman.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/08/21/we-burned-down-every-town-in-north-korea/

how about his own testimony to congress?

McCarthur disputed that he recommended using nukes on China, but he did secretly promise allied governments that he'd carry the war into Communist China to try and take out Mao's government. That's why he was sacked by Truman.

Hmm, either he was lying to Congress or he had more humanity than I gave him credit for

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Goebbels also got nauseous watching the execution of Jews. you shouldn’t assume that mass murderers lack “humanity,” because they’ve got plenty of it. the state of humanity is a neutral value.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Listening to the Citations Needed podcast ep on the West Wing, and the clips played of it in the ep is the first I've anything directly from it since the show came out at a time when I was young and did not give a poo poo about political drama, and for being supposedly a good guy in the show's eyes, it was surprisingly just how vile of a person Toby Ziegler (who both clips focused on) sounded like.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

lol terminally online "woke" libs loving suck. RIP the young bull

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zerilan posted:

Listening to the Citations Needed podcast ep on the West Wing, and the clips played of it in the ep is the first I've anything directly from it since the show came out at a time when I was young and did not give a poo poo about political drama, and for being supposedly a good guy in the show's eyes, it was surprisingly just how vile of a person Toby Ziegler (who both clips focused on) sounded like.

He'sa piece of poo poo. Check out the Worst Wing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

He'sa piece of poo poo. Check out the Worst Wing.

That a lot of Obama era lanyards were influenced by this show really explains a lot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Goddamn those movies got so loving lazy after the first one

Barry had a great John Wick reference in Season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Toby Ziegler is how libs imagine Rahm Emanuel is like. In real life Toby Ziegler would help the police cover up a murder.