Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the "critical software update" is for the touchbar, whose firmware authors are evidently clowns from the circus

about 50/50 on hitting that error with any given osx update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

have literally never had an os update fail on a Mac across multiple (like 10?) personal devices and mdm managed ones at two different companies

sorry about your bad IT department/brain

git apologist fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 17, 2019

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

woah you'd think after the 9th one broke you'd have stopped buying more

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

e. gently caress

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

You should try cleaning your floppy drive, no problems updating here

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

You should try cleaning your floppy drive, no problems updating here

next you're going to tell me that a mote of dust isn't enough to destroy the keyboard!!!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

"Hard Drive"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mike12345 posted:

"Hard Drive"

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

new pulseaudio out, this time with support for dolby truehd and dts-hd master audio!

and even more important more fixes around avoid_resampling, guess that will bring down the cpu utilization even more

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Notes/13.0/

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

i love how u can tell apple hosed up recently by the activity in the linux desktop thread. mac users have to come and feel better about their lovely hardware company

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Helicity posted:

finder does the job if youre a boomer desperately searching for the 12 copies of a vertical cell phone video of when you snuck the grandchildren to McDonalds before stopping at cvs to fill your prescriptions

literally not finder's job, that's Photos.app (which is great)

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Pine64 just announced a competing smart watch for $25 just to troll everybody, because yes that's how much it actually costs to make a smart watch

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

finder is just really unintuitive for me on simple actions. if I didn't live in terminal and have access to great tools like fzf and ripgrep id probably be more inclined to learn the shortcut to show hidden files

the hardware is by far the most frustrating thing with a current mbp. ive had two of them get insanely hot for no good reason and it reminds me of when I took apart my personal mbp and found the heatsink slathered in thermal paste. the fingerprint scanner works just enough to tempt you to keep trying for a minute the times it doesn't work. the keyboard is a legit problem and several keys double fire or don't fire.

this is on a 3 month old laptop that ive taken care of. I'd be furious if it were my own money

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Helicity posted:

finder is just really unintuitive for me on simple actions. if I didn't live in terminal and have access to great tools like fzf and ripgrep id probably be more inclined to learn the shortcut to show hidden files

the hardware is by far the most frustrating thing with a current mbp. ive had two of them get insanely hot for no good reason and it reminds me of when I took apart my personal mbp and found the heatsink slathered in thermal paste. the fingerprint scanner works just enough to tempt you to keep trying for a minute the times it doesn't work. the keyboard is a legit problem and several keys double fire or don't fire.

this is on a 3 month old laptop that ive taken care of. I'd be furious if it were my own money

should have gotten a surface lmao

the worst you get is a BSoD about every 3 months of daily use

this is only a semi-ironipost

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Lenovo 6th gen x1 carbon is great, only minor negative is the touchpad, but I don't like touch pads at all, and it even feels nicer to use in Linux than windows

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

TimWinter posted:

Pine64 just announced a competing smart watch for $25 just to troll everybody, because yes that's how much it actually costs to make a smart watch

after wearos 2.0 my watch went from being a device that i could manage music/podcasts/messaging/notifications/payments/email triage on so my phone stayed in my bag or elsewhere 2/3rds of the time, to being a really expensive smart lock paperweight chargenoyance, so id be happy to just replace it with something cheap that tells time and does smart lock

BSDLSD
Sep 11, 2019
I've just finished customizing my t440p. Got it used, bought Intel i7 4702QM, 1080p IPS panel, m.2 SSD, 16GB of RAM, and ANSI layout keyboard and of course T450 trackpad. Replaced everything I didn't like about machine I got used for 180e (it came with 256gb ssd but that's about it). Only thing that is left intact is battery which holds for 5 hours, not bad, but I intend to buy 9 cell one, if I find good genuine deal.

I am quite happy with the machine I got. Previously I sold MacBook Pro 2015 13", which started to behave really bad because of loving retarded thermals, I assume thermal paste got worn off, that piece of aluminum of getting quite hot very easily lately.

Now I have to say I am quite happy and I regret that I didn't do this a year ago. I dual boot Windows 10 and Linux (plain i3, xterm and emacs).

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

emacs will be better post-rms because we will finally get llvm-based c++ support

Richard M. Stallman resigns from FSF o and also MIT good riddance.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

im assuming he resigned to focus on competitive foot skin eating

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Breakfast All Day posted:

after wearos 2.0 my watch went from being a device that i could manage music/podcasts/messaging/notifications/payments/email triage on so my phone stayed in my bag or elsewhere 2/3rds of the time, to being a really expensive smart lock paperweight chargenoyance, so id be happy to just replace it with something cheap that tells time and does smart lock

https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-watch-series-5-500-or-linux-pinetime-smartwatch-25/

Or, lol, $500 hackinwatch.

TimWinter fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 17, 2019

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/LAM_Barrett/status/1173751694485860352

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Soricidus posted:

lol if those aren’t the same program for you

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Athas posted:

ROCM is not a replacement for CUDA, it's more like a driver and runtime API (but not kernel driver except in some cases!) that includes an OpenCL implementation. I think there was something called HCC, which was a portable CUDA-like. There's also HIP, which is a CUDA-to-HCC translator (although I heard that HCC by itself was deprecated so who knows). Finally (not really, there's always more), there is SYCL, which is somewhat like CUDA but for OpenCL, but which I think has only been implemented fully by Codeplay. It's a super confusing mess of acronyms. AMD isn't doing itself any favours here, and seems to be spreading its already scarce resources super thin.

Exercise for the reader: where does the HSA Runtime fit in?

I did a literal PhD on GPU computing and I can't figure out wtf is going on with AMD.

quote from way back, but re: cuda on amd

HIPCL Lets CUDA Run On OpenCL+SPIR-V

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
current year of linux on the desktop status

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i haven't used kde in so long that it surprises me to hear they still have releases

is it Good Enough to Try? i ask as an XFCE dork, a child baby, a dingdong

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

psiox posted:

i haven't used kde in so long that it surprises me to hear they still have releases

is it Good Enough to Try? i ask as an XFCE dork, a child baby, a dingdong

kde works fine

it took many years for kde 4 to reach feature parity with kde 3, but since then, they have been careful not to break poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Kde is ugly and terrible. Gnome 3 is vastly superior.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kde works fine

it took many years for kde 4 to reach feature parity with kde 3, but since then, they have been careful not to break poo poo

the kde5 migration to qt5 was a clusterfuck for the first few point releases, mostly plasma making GBS threads itself in various ways
even today i get the occasional hosed up start menu or plasma randomly thrashing the cpu as in the pic i posted above

its only been a smooth ride when compared to kde4

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Smythe posted:

Kde is ugly and terrible. Gnome 3 is vastly superior.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
gently caress yeah lets do a windows manager wars, even better than file manager wars

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i remember being younger and getting really into blackbox

then shifted to a fork (?) called waimea

then shifted to a fork of /that/ called kahakai

man that was a lot of bullshit

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Total Commander is great and I won't have anyone talking me out of that

shame there's nothing quite like it on linux, midnight commander is alright but a bit bare

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
last time I seriously used linux as my main desktop I wound up with a frankenvironment with xfce panel and fvwm2 and good ol’ xterm. so that probably tells you everything you should know about how seriously to take my opinions on ux

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kde 3 + keramik supremecy

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Last Chance posted:

kde 3 + keramik supremecy

Ban for OS-tan.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
How come those late 90s and early 2000s Linux desktops (like that KDE) wasted so much space, given that monitors and resolutions were smaller in those days? GNOME didn't have those garish window decorations IIRC, but it did have strangely huge desktop icons.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Private Speech posted:

Total Commander is great and I won't have anyone talking me out of that

shame there's nothing quite like it on linux, midnight commander is alright but a bit bare

kde has krusader

if you dont like that you can use total commander in wine or something

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Athas posted:

How come those late 90s and early 2000s Linux desktops (like that KDE) wasted so much space, given that monitors and resolutions were smaller in those days? GNOME didn't have those garish window decorations IIRC, but it did have strangely huge desktop icons.

They were copying Windows.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Athas posted:

most people don't need to display a ton of files/windows/icons at the same time so you may as well use more space to make things "pretty"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

also screen real estate being at a premium meant that you spent more time interacting with the window manager chrome, so it made a perverse kind of sense for it to be more obtrusive