Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All the comments are people talking about how MTGO is so much better than Arena so I guess that solves the r/magicarena question

Those rare lands ain't legendary folks

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jarvisi posted:

Is golos gates still a good bet for the event? Or has the meta moved on?

I was doing fine with it last night

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

zoux posted:

All the comments are people talking about how MTGO is so much better than Arena so I guess that solves the r/magicarena question
Well, sunk cost is a thing. Just look at the Star Citizen thread, you can watch spending a thousand dollars turn a Crysis hack into a Jesus experience.

MTGO is in massive decline, set values crater the minute you can't redeem cards.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Well, sunk cost is a thing. Just look at the Star Citizen thread, you can watch spending a thousand dollars turn a Crysis hack into a Jesus experience.

MTGO is in massive decline, set values crater the minute you can't redeem cards.

But it has chat and a friends list.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sinteres posted:

They changed the catch up event:

Up to 3 wins. 2 losses allowed.
50xp
150xp
250xp

As someone at level 95 now, who should be able to hit 100 by the end, this poo poo kind of sucks and I think this is the last time I buy the pass unless they revamp it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

As someone at level 95 now, who should be able to hit 100 by the end, this poo poo kind of sucks and I think this is the last time I buy the pass unless they revamp it

I think the pass was mostly fine but honestly after the free rewards ran out at 72 it's been kind of boring. Grinding all the way to the 90's on a pass to get 500 gold or a mastery orb is kinda lame.

The event is fine though, give everyone a chance to get as much XP as they possibly can before the end.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

they've already said things are changing with the next one, having acknowledged that buying levels was a mistake and that their original intent to not have the average player max out was way off base

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

At 95 you can just casually roll through to the end. There's another 8k xp or so remaining.

I think after the weekly change the mastery pass was fine, though it is kinda weird the last few levels are a pair of mythics, some orbs and several cosmetics you would only use in limited. Level 88 or w/e being Herald of the Sun just screams "we seriously didn't think that hard about this"

I literally got the Benthic rear end mythic this week and was like hm fitting

zoux posted:

But it has chat and a friends list.
Yeah, you've never lived until you've been told to die via wood chipper for having a removal spell you held back in hand til they played their bomb. It's true.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The only advantage mtgo has is being able to play legacy and modern. Make it happen wotc

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm genuinely looking forward to the day that MTGO dies to see if they feel pressure to add more of its features to Arena to make it up to the three people still playing there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Time posted:

The only advantage mtgo has is being able to play cube draft. Make it happen wotc

Agreed

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Oh yeah that too

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sinteres posted:

I'm genuinely looking forward to the day that MTGO dies to see if they feel pressure to add more of its features to Arena to make it up to the three people still playing there.

The absolute poo poo storm caused by people losing their "value" is imo the only reason they keep it running. Also, it'll be glorious when it finally happens

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't understand why you would derive pleasure from that, ofc it would be nice if baghodlers got some sort of compensation in MTGA.

Like people paid a lot of money into MTGO and wotc turned off card redemption, they should be unhappy if it just gets turned off.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 17, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I feel like they almost have to find some way to give MTGO players some kind of compensation in Arena just so Arena players don't freak out about how their cards are going to go away when Arena's the old game and they have some hot new client to replace it with. Most people aren't really thinking about the 10-15 year value of their cards in Arena, but raising the concern still isn't ideal for WotC. Of course any kind of compensation couldn't be 1:1, but a token nod to preserving equity is better than nothing, and presumably better than keeping a dead game alive just to avoid the issue entirely.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

zoux posted:

Here you go

tdlr: 217 packs should, on average, get you a complete set of rares, another 101 will get you a full set of MRs. Now do you need a full set? No.

Thanks a bunch. Eerh.. I may just burn some wild cards on it. I have this hoarder syndrome with almost anything digital. It's like potions in an RPG, you never know when they'll come in handy, so I never ever use them.

I also like seeing numbers go up, and seeing how my real money never moves anywhere.. :shrug:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The last few levels in the mastery pass should be packs in the next set.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What’s the best deck to grind this out that isn’t cavalcade? I’m gonna sip lean and play MtG until I max my pass.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

GrandpaPants posted:

The last few levels in the mastery pass should be packs in the next set.

That'd be nice. As someone said earlier, other than making the numbers go up and the cardback, the post 72 rewards are kinda meh. When you were also getting the free track, you'd get a pack basically every level. Now its level up for 500 gold, yay.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Magic players don't really understand why cards are expensive and are angry at other Magic players because they think it is their fault. That's why they wish ill on them.

Anyone with a collection on mtgo already got hosed. Teferi, Hero of Dominaria's value looks like a sick rear end waterslide

Wheeeeeeeee right into the shitter

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

fadam posted:

What’s the best deck to grind this out that isn’t cavalcade? I’m gonna sip lean and play MtG until I max my pass.

Probably U/W Fliers. I've been using something close to this, don't craft anything specific for it. Just use the main tools and throw in whatever blue/white flying dudes.

It's stress-free because if you lose it's usually not because you misplayed, b/c you can't really misplay with it. Just ram birds into their face and if you win you win, lose you lose.

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/Public/141730

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tom Gorman posted:

Probably U/W Fliers. I've been using something close to this, don't craft anything specific for it. Just use the main tools and throw in whatever blue/white flying dudes.

It's stress-free because if you lose it's usually not because you misplayed, b/c you can't really misplay with it. Just ram birds into their face and if you win you win, lose you lose.

This deck can absolutely clock as fast as Cavalcade when it goes off.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

They confirmed this again:

Arena patch notes posted:

*Weekly Wins and Daily Quests will reset with the release of Throne of Eldraine (Weekly Wins will be set to 0/15 and all players will have three quests to complete).
So don't store quests (or save wins, which would be incredibly stupid anyway)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Tbh given the setting of the new set it would be incredibly inappropriate not to give players quests.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Spiderdrake posted:

But wait! The value of any new rare and mythic has skyrocketed, because people aren't opening enough packs of the new sets, which is how you get Wrenn and Six being around $90 in paper and over 140 tix on MTGO

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Modern+Horizons/Wrenn+and+Six#online

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tom Gorman posted:

bless

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Having been very critical of the mastery pass before the change to weekly and then eventually buying it here's what they could easily do to make it seem better without really changing anything and forcing them to alter the price:

-Make all cosmetic rewards orbs instead of a specific card
-Get rid of the Planeswalker deck planeswalker card rewards
-Maybe consider having less levels? Everything after 90 is pretty meh

Re: MTGO, they should just port everyone's collection into Arena. They might scream about how they could've sold their collections for value but officially WOTC says that every card of the same rarity is worth the same value so I imagine they'd be fine doing this, even if some people might get upset.

If they really wanna do something fun, they could give the MTGO players the same number of wild cards as they have commons/uncommons/rares/mythic rares.

Of course to do this at all they'd first need to code in every card that's in MTGO right now.

MikeCrotch posted:

But wait! The value of any new rare and mythic has skyrocketed, because people aren't opening enough packs of the new sets, which is how you get Wrenn and Six being around $90 in paper and over 140 tix on MTGO

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Modern+Horizons/Wrenn+and+Six#online

What's the cash equivalent value for a ticket?

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 17, 2019

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

axeil posted:

Used to be around 90 cents when I was playing

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Buy a ticket for $1 from the store but they have a grey market rate of uhhh, 80-90 cents?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

axeil posted:

Of course to do this at all they'd first need to code in every card that's in MTGO right now.

About a dollar. They're a dollar on the MTGO store.

And rumor is they can whenever they want. They're just going to pad it out, though, the game already adds a ton of cards a year.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

About a dollar. They're a dollar on the MTGO store.

And rumor is they can whenever they want. They're just going to pad it out, though, the game already adds a ton of cards a year.

I really think they'd find a lot of success if they added sets in backwards order starting with Hour of Devastation/Amonkhet and working their way back to 7th edition or so. Then they can announce Vintage Horizons or whatever with new Ultra Mythic Rare for the Power 9 (1:90, guaranteed 1 if you do the Arena Buy a Box and non-craftable) and people can go bonkers.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Chadzok posted:

That's when you roll up an Agent of Treachery for 7. Jeez people, this is basic, basic stuff.

also meteor golem. I won a game against blazing archon by just rolling 7's over and over again instead of maxing out at 8 or 9 or whatever

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

There's an 8 drop that bounces two creatures. I'm guessing the chance of hitting that is better than hitting a 7 drop removal.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

fadam posted:

I like Goloscopy a lot. It's a very chill deck, you mostly just sit back and play lands (while simultaneously drawing your entire deck and creating fucktons of zombies).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is this event bo1 or 3

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

That Lucky Clover is totally not busted in any way whatsoever and will not piss me off when this and Murderous Rider or Bonecrusher Giant wreck my poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Waffleopolis posted:

That Lucky Clover is totally not busted in any way whatsoever and will not piss me off when this and Murderous Rider or Bonecrusher Giant wreck my poo poo.

I was gonna say, a colorless two drop with that effect sounds kind of insane.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Waffleopolis posted:

It's an okay effect, unless your deck is like, entirely adventure creatures. Are you really going to devote 1+ slots in your deck to Lucky Clover, which does nothing on its own and only benefits maybe 4-8 other cards in your deck?

I can totally see it being decent in Limited, though, where adventure cards all seem pretty good in general.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Can't wait for Lucky Clover jund to take over. Fork your giant footsteps, fork your bonecrusher giant, fork order of midnight to uh I'm not sure exactly, hell yea