Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I've only worked one place that did bonuses.

w/r/t interviewing: pretty bummed, this place I have been going back and forth with for like, 3 weeks (because they are so slow to respond) isn't willing to move at all on total comp, so even though the job looks dope I am going to have to reject the offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Comradephate posted:

I've only worked one place that did bonuses.

w/r/t interviewing: pretty bummed, this place I have been going back and forth with for like, 3 weeks (because they are so slow to respond) isn't willing to move at all on total comp, so even though the job looks dope I am going to have to reject the offer.

could ask for better benefits maybe if it's not too terrible?

dunno

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'd like to start going on the conference circuit giving talks about the work I've done over the past few years, but a lot of it isn't public yet. This is infrastructure engineering stuff at BigCo, though it would obviously affect the product too.

I'd need to go through various pre-clearance approvals and stuff to make it happen, as well as actual executives deciding "yeah whatever."

Any tips on navigating that particular can of worms?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if you have a good manager they can endorse it to whatever director or vp needs to sign off. for any bigco going on talks makes the manager look good and helps the director/vp with visibility and recruiting so it's win/win/win really

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
From what I hear, if you are working for Apple you will "enjoy" the process of getting it cleared, but other Big tech cos send people out to conferences quite easily (as long as you are careful not to talk about confidential stuff).

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
i used to do a lot of recruiting at universities and would occasionally gives talks about relevant tech stuff. one time during q&a some kid started a reddit thread "documenting" what i was saying.

only he was just making stuff up whole cloth, saying we were gonna cancel this and that feature or whatever, etc.

about 30 minutes afterwards i got a call from the director who was like "WTF YOU IDIOT WHY DID YOU SAY ALL THIS STUFF?" which obvs had me really confused until i figured out what had happened.

we didn't hire that particular kid.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the only thing better would have been if that kid wasn't even at the q&a

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

I'd like to start going on the conference circuit giving talks about the work I've done over the past few years, but a lot of it isn't public yet. This is infrastructure engineering stuff at BigCo, though it would obviously affect the product too.

I'd need to go through various pre-clearance approvals and stuff to make it happen, as well as actual executives deciding "yeah whatever."

Any tips on navigating that particular can of worms?

my last two attempts to speak at conferences, in two different jobs, involved getting my talk boiled down to literally nothing, and i ultimately did not speak at all

if you want to have cool poo poo to present at conferences, work on open sores

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

i’m working with them right now. did the meet in person thing, wasn’t a huge deal and took like 45 mins. got two upcoming interviews from them so far. i haven’t interviewed since 2014 so we will see what happens if i whiff lol.

my last boss really hated one of their recruiters though. my boss thought he was too pushy. it was pretty funny because when I met them in person said recruiter was like “yeah your last boss told me to gently caress off but no hard feelings, it’s a pretty competitive market. maybe you can put in a good word for me” and honestly i kinda liked the no-bs way they presented themselves to me

update: they are pushy as fuuuuuck. idk how different they are from other recruiters in this respect but the first job i did well on an interview with (out of only two) they are all up on my rear end about taking it even though i have reservations about office location and want to take time to think about it.

the company hasn't even produced an offer yet and i've been totally honest that i
1) don't shop offers around
2) won't drag it out because i've been on the interviewer side and understand with smaller companies an open offer means recruitment efforts have to pause

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cold on a Cob posted:

1) don't shop offers around

y tho

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

because i'm too nice :canada:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

this will cost you, over your career, hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars

this is comparable to giving away your house to a homeless person, except that most homeless people are better people than the executive you are giving money to

it is your moral imperative to extract as much money from your corporate overlords as possible. give it to charity if you want but get it away from rich people

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 16, 2019

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you don't flay those bastards for all they are worth then you are an enabler

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
also: i thought i was doing a final round today of combined technical and behavioural but i was wrong and it was just 2 hours of behavioural :negative:

i was not ready and whiffed on at least one of the questions but i don't think i blew it completely. and of course now that i'm home and calmer i'm thinking of better answers to many of their questions.

assuming they liked me, hopefully they'll have me back for the technical portion very soon so i can get an offer/pfo quickly since i'll have that other offer within a few days.

Arcsech posted:

this will cost you, over your career, hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars

living in canada? completely agreed :smith:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cold on a Cob posted:

Last shopping around I did, I squeezed out a 30k raise total comp

"I don't want this car I could have for 25 mins work. Or a year of loving around"

I was getting paid about 50k / hour for the negotiating I was doing, effectively

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

also: i thought i was doing a final round today of combined technical and behavioural but i was wrong and it was just 2 hours of behavioural :negative:

was this like a 2 hour personality test or what? Do they ask you specific team/workplace scenarios for the job or is it some abstract bullshit

I can't figure out how I'd respond to hear a company wanted to give me a personality test or behavioral interview

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

was this like a 2 hour personality test or what? Do they ask you specific team/workplace scenarios for the job or is it some abstract bullshit

I can't figure out how I'd respond to hear a company wanted to give me a personality test or behavioral interview

there are companies that don't use behavioral interviewing?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

My first job out of plutocrat school I got with a firm handshake and forthrightness like a drat Boomer caricature

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
it was pretty standard stuff you'd get in non-tech interviewing like "Tell me about a time in which you had a conflict and how it was resolved"

i hate those questions because sometimes they don't apply (i haven't had any memorable interpersonal conflict at work since, no joke, 2010)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

I get lots of questions about how I work and how I deal with challenging scenarios, etc. is that what you're talking about? because if someone asked me to take a MMPI I'd walk out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

I get lots of questions about how I work and how I deal with challenging scenarios, etc. is that what you're talking about?

that is what behavioral interview questions are. see: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/behavioral-job-interview-questions-2059620

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have literally never heard it called that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

it was pretty standard stuff you'd get in non-tech interviewing like "Tell me about a time in which you had a conflict and how it was resolved"

i hate those questions because sometimes they don't apply (i haven't had any memorable interpersonal conflict at work since, no joke, 2010)

is an acceptable answer “buddy, this is Canada”?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

is an acceptable answer “buddy, this is Canada”?

but then you have be prepared to answer whether you settled it over curling or hockey

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you either tell the 2010 story, you go "I tend to de-escalate things before then" with an example of it, or you invent a story (where people stand up and clap)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

but then you have be prepared to answer whether you settled it over curling or hockey

i actually pulled the back of the interviewers shirt over their head and started wailing on them while a ref watched until the interviewer fell down, then broke it up

MononcQc posted:

you either tell the 2010 story, you go "I tend to de-escalate things before then" with an example of it, or you invent a story (where people stand up and clap)

yeah i don't even remember what i said tbh. it's gone from my head, memento style

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
the "tell me about a time when" questions are only really useful for determining whether the candidate is sufficiently industrious and organized as to practice answers to those questions beforehand. i hate it, especially in the context of hiring computer touchers.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

My first job out of plutocrat school I got with a firm handshake and forthrightness like a drat Boomer caricature

see i always feel like a failure because i had to go thru technical sessions like some normie and the only pluting i did was talking to a fraternity alumni who worked at the same company and explained how the behavioral side was judged

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Fiedler posted:

the "tell me about a time when" questions are only really useful for determining whether the candidate is sufficiently industrious and organized as to practice answers to those questions beforehand. i hate it, especially in the context of hiring computer touchers.

i for one am shocked employers look for industrious and organized candidates

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pie Colony posted:

i for one am shocked employers look for industrious and organized candidates
selecting for people who demonstrate that they understand the unstated and implicit norms of behavior in corporate america? no wonder this country is going straight to hell

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

since I'm not a developer most of my time is "behavioral" questions when I interview, it's a good chance to ask them about their teams and process and look for red flags. also many people will think you're a great candidate if you ask 2 good questions then nod and say platitudes like "I've been there" while they talk about themselves for the whole 30 minute slot

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

qirex posted:

since I'm not a developer most of my time is "behavioral" questions when I interview, it's a good chance to ask them about their teams and process and look for red flags. also many people will think you're a great candidate if you ask 2 good questions then nod and say platitudes like "I've been there" while they talk about themselves for the whole 30 minute slot

I've been there

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

see i always feel like a failure because i had to go thru technical sessions like some normie and the only pluting i did was talking to a fraternity alumni who worked at the same company and explained how the behavioral side was judged

The tech majors have learned their lesson with plutocrat idiots

I like to think I am not an idiot but lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think it was here I learned the tip, but I had an interview today and they asked me for my salary and I hit them with the “I’d like to wait to talk salary until after there is an offer” and I didn’t immediately get thrown out!

hooray?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

no no shush don't give up my secret

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i know damnit, a knowing smirk and a slow, sad nod is like 90% of my technique :mad:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
workbridge update: continue to be too pushy. if i don't take this offer that i've been interviewing through them, i'm gonna tell them to take a hike.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

tak posted:

Interesting. We're a pretty small company in a small city in the Canadian prairies with some huge global customers, and our cloud costs are surprisingly low (to me anyway). And no IT other than the guy who fixes the sales and support phones, everything is managed (gcp)

What part of the prairies? I've been trying to find a way to get to Saskatchewan that doesn't involve hiding out in day old timbits deliveries.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rex-Goliath posted:

no no shush don't give up my secret
"how does the team avoid project priority conflicts and how do they handle them when they do happen?" is a great way to eat up at least 15 minutes

also ask about upstream managers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
why do recruiters give me no information on what the company is or does and a paragraph about investors and where they used to work. what the hell do I care about any of that?