Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think if I was given control of star citizen I would do as follows:

- Increase fidelity tenfold, its not 2012 anymore and these graphics aren't cutting it
- Get Sq42 done by doing a fundraiser to raise money to brute force the game to completion with thousands of additional hours of mocap
- replace accurate Newtonian flight model with quantum 12th dimensional flight model
-apply quantum model to all in game physics, no two simulated electrons have exactly the same energy state
-remove unrealistic ftl and only allow travel at 5% of light speed in the fastest ships. At top speeds you must log off to simulate your character going into hibernation to avoid being pulped by g forces
- on top of insurance make players file their taxes, this is a good time to introduce our new ship based around financial gameplay and accounting: £1200
- add sexual assault and slavery as part of Pirate 2.0
- cryengine is too difficult and unsuited for an MMO, switch to Frostbyte
- Promote sandi, she is the best saleswoman and has been since she was a little girl
- fire Erin and replace him with lesnick
- Sq42 complete remaster with 3000 extra pages of script, launched 2 years after chapter 7 completes the septilogy, cliffhanger sets up Star Citizen
- toggle VR to On

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Nicholas posted:

Not sure if your serious but he's been caught doing this with other companies and even his deviant art had clear tracings of reference photos or other peoples art. He's seriously just an untalented, plagerizing con-artist, much like the people he's worked for.

https://www.reddit.com/r/quityourbullshit/comments/4c6spp/boardgame_maker_gets_caught_stealing_art_doubles/

LOL, is he the Ryan playing the game here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hzo5cds5dU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

They spelled marches wrong

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its truly insane how much they continue to promise while considering the ramifications of absolutely none of it. The medical ship just makes no sense. The game where the medical ship makes sense doesn't fit the game where flying into battle and shooting people makes sense.

If they were willing to be like EVE and have NPC "troopers" it'd work, but that's not ~fidelity~ and they've already pre-sold people marine experiences and space photographer experiences and space taxi experiences and...

Its a blatant scam at this point, but since people have been into it for years and thousands of dollars, they won't see it. This is digital scientology.

I believe the gameplay loop for medical ships is you buy them, then you park them in convenient areas and never touch them again, so you can have handy respawn points. Park a medical ship near your favorite cave. Park a medical ship near your favorite prison. Park a medical ship next to the homestead you bought on that one planet. So wherever you die you'll always respawn nearby, rather than in one of the horrible sprawling cities.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I believe the gameplay loop for medical ships is you buy them, then you park them in convenient areas and never touch them again, so you can have handy respawn points. Park a medical ship near your favorite cave. Park a medical ship near your favorite prison. Park a medical ship next to the homestead you bought on that one planet. So wherever you die you'll always respawn nearby, rather than in one of the horrible sprawling cities.

Does your medical ship stay there if you go and get in another one of your ships?

Does it stay there if you log out?

Your medical ship's gonna get blasted pretty quick. Not to mention how useful will they even be in the scale of SPACE ? Flying from Olisar to Space planet X may take longer than flying from the medical ship you parked outside that particular cave on planet X, but when the battle moves over to planet Z it'll take about as long to get from your medical ship to the battle as from Olisar.

And if it takes that long to get back to Planet X then ... yeah.

Like Rotten said, they're imagining this like its Planetside but its not that so the same mechanics don't make sense.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zaphod42 posted:

Does your medical ship stay there if you go and get in another one of your ships?

Does it stay there if you log out?

Your medical ship's gonna get blasted pretty quick. Not to mention how useful will they even be in the scale of SPACE ? Flying from Olisar to Space planet X may take longer than flying from the medical ship you parked outside that particular cave on planet X, but when the battle moves over to planet Z it'll take about as long to get from your medical ship to the battle as from Olisar.

And if it takes that long to get back to Planet X then ... yeah.

Like Rotten said, they're imagining this like its Planetside but its not that so the same mechanics don't make sense.

Oh, I agree. Parking it for future need is just the most useful thing I could think to do with it. The other option is that they are for "orgs" and one guy is stuck flying the respawn ship all the time instead of a combat ship.

But that's stupid. The medical ship isn't a carrier, right? It isn't carrying a dozen fast fighters so your fleet mates can respawn on your ship and get right back into the fighting. So you'd probably be better off respawning at the nearest port where you do have backup ships and the possibility of getting back to the fleet within 20 minutes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
What I'd do is make it so every single ship is a "medical ship" in that there'd be X crew. When you die, you can respawn on that ship and it costs 1 crew respawn. When the number of crew members have all been spawned, no more spawning from that ship until it goes back to port and takes on a new "crew". (or if the ship gets blown up and respawned or whatever)

That would make a certain amount of sense and would allow for people to die in FPS combat and still come back and participate further in the battle, but also have a sensible point where one team has defeated another's resources.

Unfortunately, none of that jives with the idea that you're going to get a Tier 1 headache and need to get your Tier 2 amputation taken care of at a Tier 3 facility or else you get space-tetanus or some loving poo poo. Nor the fact that special purpose medical ships have already been sold for $$$$$

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Right, could be that: http://www.electroluminescent-provider.com/portfolio_page/manned-drone/

That was in Austin, Texas, though, so not sure about Aussie connection...

Wow, it's amazing how Chris and Sandi went from being the non-stop faces of the game/company to completely absent...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

"but that's weeks, not months."

Wow...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

No Mods No Masters posted:

Heartfelt congrats to whoever ran that bill for that up to 100 grand somehow. We call him "the crobbler of cosplay"

Or buy the costume for $2000, charge the company $100,000, pocket $98,000.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Thoatse posted:

They spelled marches wrong

:golfclap:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/1173651713863094272

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1174063851949760516

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Or buy the costume for $2000, charge the company $100,000, pocket $98,000.

I prefer to imagine $98,000 worth of feature creep, delays and missed deadlines, glitches, trying to make the costumes work despite choosing the worst possible materials, and etc.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, that's what the medical ship does? Man, they really are trying to build a space sim and Planetside at the same time. I wonder how exactly they expect that to work with the sparsity of the population all over the universe, even if they eventually do decent numbers on release. They haven't thought about it and will never release.

Is there any kind of ship that they haven't sold a JPEG for yet? Maybe a space ice cream truck?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bubbacub posted:

Is there any kind of ship that they haven't sold a JPEG for yet? Maybe a space ice cream truck?

Mark my words: Space submarine

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Thank god there's an arrow in the thumbnail to show me where the explosion is. I'd never have seen it otherwise. However I feel like I need to see Rexzilla's gurning face on there too to know they're having fun.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Meanwhile over in space games that have been in development for like 2 years with a team of maybe a dozen people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-U2kuJKlak

I just wish those guys understood game development

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
my favourite part of this thread is that the first video in the op is titled 'Imagine: Star Citizen' and that's what backers have been doing for the last 6 years and will still be doing for the foreseeable future. The desire to have the perfect space game will always beat out the reality of whatever CIG could ever possibly make and at some point they realised this and just kept selling dreams. I wonder when that was.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Mark my words: Space submarine

Moray, from the original Elite, was submersible as well as space-faring.

I’m waiting for the space farms for the space claims. The space claim space jumpers space wildcatting space minerals, leading to rootin tootin space cowboys, but in a twilight of the Roman Empire way.

If i was a braver person, I’d have emailed RSI for the price of a license to build a themed mobile game. I cannot fathom why they haven’t grouped off a couple of mobile bullshit games to leverage eyes.

Edit: Yakuza 0: My hot take. The opposite of fidelity is really goddamned entertaining. I will never be good at dancing.

Hav fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 18, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, that's what the medical ship does? Man, they really are trying to build a space sim and Planetside at the same time. I wonder how exactly they expect that to work with the sparsity of the population all over the universe, even if they eventually do decent numbers on release. They haven't thought about it and will never release.

Most of their 'medical ships' (and medical bays in larger ships) dont operate as respawn points, they just cure 'level 1 and level 2' injuries. Basically, limb crits and knockouts. You have to file a beacon and pay someone a missions worth of credits to fly out to you and heal your broken arm, a process that will probably take 15 minutes at a minimum. For a limb crit. In a game with really fast TTKs so odds are you will either win uninjured or die immediately.

People have this vision of swooping into battles and loading up injured players to heal them and it is just insane. Like people are going to wait there on the ground, just lying there for someone to come and medical them. Even in loving ArmA noone sits around for that unless they are on voice with a medic that is trying to get to them in the next few minutes.

The best part is that the initial medical ship, the cutlass..red? got deprecated into being bad so they could add a whizbang new dedicated medical ship the Apollo. Which cures limbcrits *twice* as good! But still isn't a respawn point.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Hav posted:

Moray, from the original Elite, was submersible as well as space-faring.

I’m waiting for the space farms for the space claims. The space claim space jumpers space wildcatting space minerals, leading to rootin tootin space cowboys, but in a twilight of the Roman Empire way.

If i was a braver person, I’d have emailed RSI for the price of a license to build a themed mobile game. I cannot fathom why they haven’t grouped off a couple of mobile bullshit games to leverage eyes.

Edit: Yakuza 0: My hot take. The opposite of fidelity is really goddamned entertaining. I will never be good at dancing.

They did that mobile map app tie-in a while back. Can't remember the name but it was pretty tenuous.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Everything with Star Citizen is "Well, we couldn't figure out how to get ANY of this working in any capacity, so here's fuckloads of art assets that we're going to go ahead and put in anyway. Gamers are so loving stupid they'll see the graphics and assume they imply that obvious poo poo, like an actual game, is a solved problem." World's best scam because it's not hiding how bad it is.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It really is a pity they're not on a real engine, since they could be making GBS threads out hundreds of games worth of drop in assets and making mad bank. Chris would just reject most of it anyway.

Assuming games work like that, which they probably don't?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

No Mods No Masters posted:

I prefer to imagine $98,000 worth of feature creep, delays and missed deadlines, glitches, trying to make the costumes work despite choosing the worst possible materials, and etc.

That actually seems possible- I remember hearing about Chris nitpicking over a character model's shoelaces.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Dyeing all the green pixels blue runs up the tab.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

zcrow posted:

They did that mobile map app tie-in a while back. Can't remember the name but it was pretty tenuous.

I'm pretty sure it was a weather service

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Hav posted:

Yakuza 0 is incredibly good but the final two dance battle substories are nearly impossible and Miracle's second substory is even harder. I somehow managed to beat Isobe by 60 points but resorted to cheat engine after twenty attempts at beating Ogita. Thankfully beating Miracle is not necessary to complete the substory and Kiryu accepted that he'd never beat the king of pop.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spiderdrake posted:

It really is a pity they're not on a real engine, since they could be making GBS threads out hundreds of games worth of drop in assets and making mad bank. Chris would just reject most of it anyway.

Assuming games work like that, which they probably don't?

Imagine if they could sell all the rejected art on the unity store. :monocle:

And then Lord British could buy it and put it in SotA. Suddenly there would be all these NPCs with dozens of jackets and nobody would know why.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Most of their 'medical ships' (and medical bays in larger ships) dont operate as respawn points, they just cure 'level 1 and level 2' injuries. Basically, limb crits and knockouts. You have to file a beacon and pay someone a missions worth of credits to fly out to you and heal your broken arm, a process that will probably take 15 minutes at a minimum. For a limb crit. In a game with really fast TTKs so odds are you will either win uninjured or die immediately.

People have this vision of swooping into battles and loading up injured players to heal them and it is just insane. Like people are going to wait there on the ground, just lying there for someone to come and medical them. Even in loving ArmA noone sits around for that unless they are on voice with a medic that is trying to get to them in the next few minutes.

The best part is that the initial medical ship, the cutlass..red? got deprecated into being bad so they could add a whizbang new dedicated medical ship the Apollo. Which cures limbcrits *twice* as good! But still isn't a respawn point.

Yeah I really struggle to understand those who get all excited about having to lie on the ground for 15 mintues or more waiting to get healed.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Yeah I really struggle to understand those who get all excited about having to lie on the ground for 15 mintues or more waiting to get healed.

Those I understand, those are old-school mmorpg maso-players. It's the ones that want to be infected by exotic alien diseases that have to be slowly treated (over days) at tier 3 medical facilities the ones that worry me.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I don't know why it upsets me so much, but I simply cannot handle 100k USD on outfits... They were not even that good.

At 50 USD an hour that's 2,000 man hours for a couple of single use outfits... I reckon you could get 30-35 top quality hand man's tailored suits for much.

Please bootcha you have to release an episode of sunk cost galaxy or show us some proof.

Unless is the appearance at pax, business / first class flights, nice hotels all expenses paid, the booth and several hemch men to boss around, and some cos play outfits. That I could believe.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

What I'd do is make it so every single ship is a "medical ship" in that there'd be X crew. When you die, you can respawn on that ship and it costs 1 crew respawn. When the number of crew members have all been spawned, no more spawning from that ship until it goes back to port and takes on a new "crew". (or if the ship gets blown up and respawned or whatever)

That would make a certain amount of sense and would allow for people to die in FPS combat and still come back and participate further in the battle, but also have a sensible point where one team has defeated another's resources.

Unfortunately, none of that jives with the idea that you're going to get a Tier 1 headache and need to get your Tier 2 amputation taken care of at a Tier 3 facility or else you get space-tetanus or some loving poo poo. Nor the fact that special purpose medical ships have already been sold for $$$$$

Or possess NPC on your friend's ship. If you died in your fancy ship, you can man those turrets, or frantically mop the floors, or make procedural eggs as the battle unfolds. Suddenly, the space yacht becomes griefing ship as all your friends respawn as waiters and cooks and whatever

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Paradox developers taking shots at CIG https://clips.twitch.tv/ElatedPunchyMochaCclamChamp

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

mp5 posted:

Joke's on them, the spaceland I spacebought already has caves

Have the real super-weirdos started asking when tunneling/digging vehicles will be sold so that they can pay money to imagine making/modifying their own caves? I bet the only thing better than imagining how awesome your planetary base will look is also imagining how safe you'll be deep down in its basement where no one can find you.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ouch.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The chess game loops are... already defined? Is SC the BDChessSE? Why wouldn't you just open chess.com or lichess in other window, man? Will SC have ELO?

Also that chess set is awful and uninspiring.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

The chess game loops are... already defined? Is SC the BDChessSE? Why wouldn't you just open chess.com or lichess in other window, man? Will SC have ELO?

Nothing says luxury like a big chess set though. Apart from a hot tub with a bar obvs. And leather seats. Lots of leather seats.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

It is just awful.

The hill in the board makes my brain itch.

e: on closer examination I guess those are just tray handles on the side of the board. Glad my brain isn't itching any more. I agree the chess set is boring.

Golli fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zeond posted:

Yakuza 0 is incredibly good but the final two dance battle substories are nearly impossible and Miracle's second substory is even harder. I somehow managed to beat Isobe by 60 points but resorted to cheat engine after twenty attempts at beating Ogita. Thankfully beating Miracle is not necessary to complete the substory and Kiryu accepted that he'd never beat the king of pop.

I just resigned myself to the fact I suck at disco. Old age and reflexes I guess combined with tv lag I blame it on. And I suck at mahjong too.

Gotta say, 0 was probably the most awesome/hilarious game I have ever played. The levels of absurdity are just astounding. Slowly working through 2.

But at the end of the day it cannot hold a candle to the AAAA+++ title known as Star Citizen.