Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ungratek posted:

I'm beginning to think I'm the only person who enjoyed the Tony B plot.

Just wanna stress that as others have mentioned, I quite enjoy the Tony B plot but it's still distracting how he just kind of appears out of thin air with this supposed massive importance to Tony's entire life.

In regards to Adriana, I think the wives would have loving lost their minds if Adriana admitted she was talking to the FBI, thrown her out of the house and immediately told their husbands. It's not nice to think about, but all their talk of love and the bond between them is completely conditional, as demonstrated by Rosalie's complete contempt for Angie when - even if you take the Pussy story at face value - Angie did absolutely nothing wrong apart from be married to a guy who was now persona non grata.

Of course they would have justified it to themselves as protecting their families, blamed Adriana and been disgusted by HER betrayal without ever examining (consciously) themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Fantastic writeup. Did anyone else think that the painting might have been bugged??

The FBI probably didn't think it was worth the effort. Remember Tony only ever talks business - and that's if he really has to - in the basement when he's at home. And I'm sure they're aware Tony has the Bing (and probably Satriale's) swept for bugs regularly.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

JethroMcB posted:

Babish is on the Sopranos kick this week. I made baked ziti (well, penne) last night and it sure as hell didn't look as good as Carm's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_BGPTK3GQk

I'm rewatching season 1 and I don't think any murder affected me as much as seeing Carmella dump an entire dish of pasta into the trash.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Just wanna stress that as others have mentioned, I quite enjoy the Tony B plot but it's still distracting how he just kind of appears out of thin air with this supposed massive importance to Tony's entire life.

I'm not apologising for bad writing or anything but I've always enjoyed the contradiction of Tony being mad that nobody can do prison time anymore and Tony/the mafia doing an utterly poo poo job looking after people who are doing prison time. For all the talk of "if something happens to you, you will be looked after", in reality it's all bullshit because once you go away you become persona non grata. And considering how much of a habitual user and abuser of people Tony is, I think it's narratively consistent that even someone as close as Tony B can be held in such disregard until he reappears.

Ercole DiMeo is mentioned in like the first episode and it's assumed for the whole 6 seasons he's still in prison. But nobody ever mentions him or talks about visiting him... the founder of the NJ family and nobody even mentions in passing "I went up to see the old man" or "I gave the old man's wife her package".

Paulie does some small time and we see first hand his mistreatment was enough to get him to betray the family to Johnny Sack.

Then Johnny Sack himself goes away and we also see how badly someone doing time is treated.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

The FBI probably didn't think it was worth the effort. Remember Tony only ever talks business - and that's if he really has to - in the basement when he's at home. And I'm sure they're aware Tony has the Bing (and probably Satriale's) swept for bugs regularly.

Yeah, finding a bug in the painting would ruin Massarone as an asset, and despite Castleman's boring voice making GBS threads all over him Cubitoso was right to be excited about the potential to tie Tony to massive fraud and extortion.

Bedshaped posted:

For all the talk of "if something happens to you, you will be looked after", in reality it's all bullshit because once you go away you become persona non grata. And considering how much of a habitual user and abuser of people Tony is, I think it's narratively consistent that even someone as close as Tony B can be held in such disregard until he reappears.

And of course you see that Tony simultaneously has disdain for those who want to get out of the life like Tony B and Angelo, but also those who are straight back into the life like Feech. There is no "winning" because the mob is full of self-interested con-men and scumbags looking to take advantage for their own benefit, and your value to them extends only so far as to how useful they are.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 18, 2019

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bedshaped posted:

Then Johnny Sack himself goes away and we also see how badly someone doing time is treated.

To be fair, Johnny does take a deal where violates omerta and confesses to being involved with organized crime. That's why everybody turns on him with such disdain (or at least, has an excuse to.)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

JethroMcB posted:

To be fair, Johnny does take a deal where violates omerta and confesses to being involved with organized crime. That's why everybody turns on him with such disdain (or at least, has an excuse to.)

But even before that you had poo poo like Carmela trying to "cheer Ginny up" by showing up with the new Porsche Tony bought for her. Meanwhile the feds are seizing poo poo out of the house left and right, and Ginny won't even come to the door because of bill collectors.

Also, Chris lowballing Ginny for Johnny's Maserati and Tony demanding they give the house to Janice and Bobby happen before Johnny's allocution.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Of course they would have justified it to themselves as protecting their families, blamed Adriana and been disgusted by HER betrayal without ever examining (consciously) themselves.

It is tragic how naive Adi is about the whole thing though. She never fully appreciates the danger she is in while being an informant.

I think someone like Carmela or Rosalie if they were in the same boat would be more cognizant of the dangers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

And of course you see that Tony simultaneously has disdain for those who want to get out of the life like Tony B and Angelo, but also those who are straight back into the life like Feech. There is no "winning" because the mob is full of self-interested con-men and scumbags looking to take advantage for their own benefit, and your value to them extends only so far as to how useful they are.

Tony's reaction to those who are trying to go straight has an air of jealously to it in my opinion. I think he's gained enough insight from therapy to realize on some level that a lot of his issues would go away if he wasn't living such a high stakes criminal lifestyle, but that's a sacrifice he's simply not willing to make. He'd rather be miserable all the time than be Henry Hill at the end of Goodfellas. A nobody, a schnook. So when he sees someone that has an honest desire to break free and go straight, at least part of him wishes that he could be happy doing the same, but he can't.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Along with Tony B showing up out of the blue, I still find it weird how naïve Ade can be considering her uncles were Jackie and Ritchie, so Rosalie is even her aunt (and almost Janice)!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Basebf555 posted:

Tony's reaction to those who are trying to go straight has an air of jealously to it in my opinion. I think he's gained enough insight from therapy to realize on some level that a lot of his issues would go away if he wasn't living such a high stakes criminal lifestyle, but that's a sacrifice he's simply not willing to make. He'd rather be miserable all the time than be Henry Hill at the end of Goodfellas. A nobody, a schnook. So when he sees someone that has an honest desire to break free and go straight, at least part of him wishes that he could be happy doing the same, but he can't.

True but I think it's also mistrust in a way. Like, if those guys aren't dirty he has nothing to hang over them. Also, it's kind of like when a drug using or a drinking person gets clean or stops dealing and none of the people he hung out with anymore really come around or call.

Also, how the hell is Chris considered "handsome" or am I missing something?

Thanks again for doing these write ups. I really enjoy reading them.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

BiggerBoat posted:

True but I think it's also mistrust in a way. Like, if those guys aren't dirty he has nothing to hang over them. Also, it's kind of like when a drug using or a drinking person gets clean or stops dealing and none of the people he hung out with anymore really come around or call.

Rank Your Top 5 Most Handsome Mobsters in the Soprano's

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Jackie Jr, Furio, aaaand I'm out I can't think of anyone else.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wouldn’t mind loving Patsy in the rear end.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

BiggerBoat posted:

I always thought it was partially jealousy and mistrust, but also that Tony B was acting "too good" to get his hands dirty. Tony knows deep down that he's a lovely person and a criminal, and here comes his cousin saying "No sir, I'm staying clean, none of that horrible mob business for me." To Tony, Tony B's declaring that he's a better person than he is, and that there's shame in the family business to the point that Tony B is willing to distance himself from his family rather than get involved. I think that goes into the drinking/drugs thing you mentioned too -- if you're not going to do drugs or commit crimes, then I don't really want you around reminding me that I'm a lovely person for doing drugs or committing crimes.

And Chris isn't handsome unless you know that he's a made man and want to ride those coattails. (Or have been born into the life like poor Adrianna and everyone around you keeps reinforcing what a catch he is.) I thought that was kind of an ongoing joke throughout the series, it kinda emphasized what a dirtbag he is for the way he treated Adrianna, he's just this ignorant, below-average-looking dude who's somehow convinced he deserves his supermodel girlfriend and everything else life could possibly give him.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Sean Gismonte or should I say Sean Jizzmonte!!!

Jackie Jr and his friend who got shot in the middle of the road after the failed card game robbery. They could have thrown in a j/o scene when they were watching Basic Instinct if they had wanted to imo :colbert:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I wouldn’t mind loving Patsy in the rear end.

I prefer his brother 'Spoons' tbh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phenotype posted:

he's just this ignorant, below-average-looking dude who's somehow convinced he deserves his supermodel girlfriend and everything else life could possibly give him.

I love when Chrstopher is considering dumping her because they might not be able to have kids, and Tony basically out-and-out tells him,"She's WAAAAAY out of your league already are you really sure you want to dump her?"

Of course it's an ongoing thing in the series that these fat, balding, middle-aged mobsters genuinely think they have some kind of sex appeal or that it radiates out from them along with their power, and only ever seem to grasp when it is some other fat balding mobster that the hot young women chasing after them are either out for money, have severe emotional/mental trauma they're dealing with, or both.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I think Tony takes going straight as yet another thing that someone can hold over him. Like Tony B going straight could be construed as Tony B being better than Tony S because he's freed himself from their immoral life. To Tony, that's another way of showing him up, and Tony can't stand the thought that someone might be better (or think they are better) than him.

e: You know I've been thinking about the whole informant-FBI deal in the series and I think it's fair to ask: Are the FBI being pieces of poo poo by pushing these informants into increasingly dangerous situations? Sure Pussy and Massarone at least aren't good people and have committed big crimes, but the FBI handlers for them seem to hold little regard for their safety and keep pressing them to get more information even at the risk of their lives. And poor Adi does not have anywhere near the subtlety or cleverness required to be a good informant. It feels inevitable that she will get caught.

I guess you can say Ray Curto is successful throughout the series and goes to his grave not being caught, but most informants aren't so lucky.

I dunno it just feels like the FBI is more concerned with nabbing Tony et al than they are with their informants' safety and that always rubbed me the wrong way. They're asking people to be spies who have no training at being that at all, and the penalty for failure is almost invariably death.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 19, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does anyone know where one could find the A&E versions of Sopranos episodes? I never watched them when they were airing because it seemed pointless, but now I'm so goddamn curious about how they edited episodes like "Boca" where the two major plotlines are eating pussy and child molestation.

It reminds me of when TBS (I think) had edited versions of Sex & the City and they entirely removed Charlotte from the episode where she gets addicted to a vibrator, taking it from twenty-two minutes down to like fourteen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

e: You know I've been thinking about the whole informant-FBI deal in the series and I think it's fair to ask: Are the FBI being pieces of poo poo by pushing these informants into increasingly dangerous situations? Sure Pussy and Massarone at least aren't good people and have committed big crimes, but the FBI handlers for them seem to hold little regard for their safety and keep pressing them to get more information even at the risk of their lives. And poor Adi does not have anywhere near the subtlety or cleverness required to be a good informant. It feels inevitable that she will get caught.

I guess you can say Ray Curto is successful throughout the series and goes to his grave not being caught, but most informants aren't so lucky.

I dunno it just feels like the FBI is more concerned with nabbing Tony et al than they are with their informants' safety and that always rubbed me the wrong way. They're asking people to be spies who have no training at being that at all, and the penalty for failure is almost invariably death.

Absolutely it's something that has a hosed up history and you definitely can't trust cops to protect you as an informant. It's a little more palatable I guess in a series that constantly showcases how terrible all of the characters are, but yea in real life I've read many a story about law enforcement pressuring someone into being an informant and then riding them as far as they without any regard for their safety and getting people killed as a result.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jerusalem posted:

I love when Chrstopher is considering dumping her because they might not be able to have kids, and Tony basically out-and-out tells him,"She's WAAAAAY out of your league already are you really sure you want to dump her?"

Of course it's an ongoing thing in the series that these fat, balding, middle-aged mobsters genuinely think they have some kind of sex appeal or that it radiates out from them along with their power, and only ever seem to grasp when it is some other fat balding mobster that the hot young women chasing after them are either out for money, have severe emotional/mental trauma they're dealing with, or both.

There's another scene where Adrianna is consoling him (I think after the movie deal goes bad?) and says "you could always be a male model" and Chris is like yeah, I'd kick rear end at it too, I just don't want to be around all the gays. He has always been one of the most infuriating characters on this show for me, because he genuinely seems to believe his own bullshit -- he's super-handsome, super-smart, and the mob (and life in general) owes him big for everything he does. He's got no conception that everything only comes to him because he's a mob captain and the boss's favorite. Or if he did, it's because he earned it rather than just because Tony was close with his father and needs a close relation to shield him from crimes.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Contrarily, you'll find the Christopher is the best character.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ungratek posted:

Contrarily, you'll find the Christopher is the best character.

He's really the only one of the main crew that I could see being decent company to have a beer with or whatever. This is of course based on personality alone, I'm going with the premise that I wouldn't know about all the horrific murders and whatnot. I guess Sil could be ok. Paulie is just insufferable though, I doubt I could spend 10 minutes with the guy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Basebf555 posted:

He's really the only one of the main crew that I could see being decent company to have a beer with or whatever. This is of course based on personality alone, I'm going with the premise that I wouldn't know about all the horrific murders and whatnot. I guess Sil could be ok. Paulie is just insufferable though, I doubt I could spend 10 minutes with the guy.

Pussy would probably be alright, too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phenotype posted:

There's another scene where Adrianna is consoling him (I think after the movie deal goes bad?) and says "you could always be a male model" and Chris is like yeah, I'd kick rear end at it too, I just don't want to be around all the gays. He has always been one of the most infuriating characters on this show for me, because he genuinely seems to believe his own bullshit -- he's super-handsome, super-smart, and the mob (and life in general) owes him big for everything he does. He's got no conception that everything only comes to him because he's a mob captain and the boss's favorite. Or if he did, it's because he earned it rather than just because Tony was close with his father and needs a close relation to shield him from crimes.

Chris is the most ... what's the opposite of disillusioned? illusioned?

He's younger and sees all these rich established guys and wants to be them. He's Ray Liotta in the beginning of Goodfellas looking out his window at all the tough gangsters and wanting the prestige.

But as a result he also overcompensates the most and overreacts the most when he doesn't get what he expects.

Like when the mob life isn't glitzy enough, he starts getting dreams of writing a movie script. Another glamorous, celebrity lifestyle. But of course he's never written anything in his life and isn't remotely qualified, but like you said he's used to having things given to him so he doesn't even realize how much he sucks.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I'd hang out with Bobby.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'd hang with Eugene.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

I'd hang with Eugene.

He actually pissed his pants as he dies, as if the scene wasn't hard enough to watch without that detail.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bedshaped posted:

Ercole DiMeo is mentioned in like the first episode and it's assumed for the whole 6 seasons he's still in prison. But nobody ever mentions him or talks about visiting him... the founder of the NJ family and nobody even mentions in passing "I went up to see the old man" or "I gave the old man's wife her package".

Not that theres a lot to go on in terms of the show explaining things but I always thought Jackie Sr was made acting boss because DiMeo prob knew Tony and Junior were opportunistic fucks who would abandon him if put in charge. Then all the old guard guys get arrested in s1 and anyone still loyal to DiMeo is prob long gone.

Anyway I thought it was kinda odd for Carmines wife to be a part of Carmelas movie club.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Anyway I thought it was kinda odd for Carmines wife to be a part of Carmelas movie club.

Carmine Sr.? Because it definitely wasn’t Carmine Jr.’s wife. I always assumed it was Patsy’s wife. You don’t see her again until the last episode, so they could have just recast her. Although, if they were supposed to be wives (and widows) of the higher ups, that also could have been Vito’s wife, who they may also have recast when she became a much bigger character in the next season.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Carmine Srs wife according to the credits.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I'd hang with Eugene.

Hesh

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They probably didn't visit DiMeo because he was in Springfield, and Missouri's a fair piece from New Jersey.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carmine Srs wife according to the credits.

Weird, I'm positive it was supposed to be Donna Parisi. Are you sure the listing for Carmine Sr's wife in the credits isn't from the funeral?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Weird, I'm positive it was supposed to be Donna Parisi. Are you sure the listing for Carmine Sr's wife in the credits isn't from the funeral?

Yeah its Carmines wife. I was kinda shocked too and thought maybe Amazon was wrong with their overlay but IMDB confirms it. mmmmm nooope

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1409003/

the only women with speaking lines at the funeral are Carmine jrs wife, Lorraine Calluzzo, Ginny Sac, and the old lady Tony talks to.

Edit Edit actually Donna Parisi is also listed in this episode but i cant find any scene with her.....shes listed as being in Stage 5 too in s6 with the same actress [Anna Mancini] ill try to get to the bottom of this and find her pic

edit edit edit: gently caress it I guess it is Patsis wife. Amazons overlay guy hosed up for the movie night scene and put the wrong names. I cant even find a listing for Violet Lupertazi in any other episode. So it looks like she was credited as being in the funeral scene and then got cut out. Donna Parisi is in a few blink and you'll miss her scenes and she does look a lot like the movie night chick so its prob her.

Donna Parisi - Mob wife
Alias: Violet Lupertazi

Agent Sanseverino considers this matter officially... [Case Closed]

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 20, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Agent Sanseverino considers this matter officially... [Case Closed]

Thank you for the leg work :patriot:

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

Pussy would probably be alright, too.

I got Pussy on the brain. I always do

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I got Pussy on the brain. I always do

I can't find Pussy anywhere! D:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Just like his character in the Big Lebowski, I don’t think Tony B ever wears a shirt/uniform with his actual name on it, they’re all secondhand lol