Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A question. Is the game going to be 3D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

colonelwest posted:

The Citizens always block those early days out of their mind with the mantra of “Chris was just building a company, development really didn’t start until 3 years ago.” They will never admit that a lot of work was being done by Chris’ early team of industry pros and even more was being outsourced to third party studios; most of which was never used. All the while millions of dollars were being blown.

I've been "arguing" with a guy that they already had hundreds of developers a year or two after the Kickstarter. Got called a liar. Linked CIG's own promotional videos where they explicitely gave the numbers ( hint: 110 devs at Citcon 2013 and 268 devs in June 2014 ).

His answer ? ".. but but but... they started with 12 developers !".

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Agony Aunt posted:

Yeah I really struggle to understand those who get all excited about having to lie on the ground for 15 mintues or more waiting to get healed.

My immersion will not be complete until dying in the game means dying in real life

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Golli posted:

It is just awful.

The hill in the board makes my brain itch.

e: on closer examination I guess those are just tray handles on the side of the board. Glad my brain isn't itching any more. I agree the chess set is boring.

Here's a better quality:

It's not handles, it's some display thing, maybe for time control games? They seem differently curved at each side (mirrored, that is), so it's likely it's something like the left one is for you, the right one for your opponent.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

There's a moment in a documentary where one of the subjects is showing the crew around his home and it's perfect Star Citizen for how these luxury ships have been designed and this is the obligatory chess set moment (7mins7secs in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5lgH4CxMGM&t=427s

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Scruffpuff posted:

All 3 of those comments are absolutely perfect. I particularly like the one about if the judge were a "gamer" which carries in it two implications, which I suspect are being projected by the poster:

1) As a gamer, a US judge will render a judgement based on that fact and not based on the case, sacrificing her career in order to defend a cult. Because "game."
2) The comment about the "space connection" is dipping deep into the well the entire project springs from: if you keep saying it's a space game, it somehow becomes a space game, despite being pure poo poo and literally the worst "space game" ever devised by man, to the point where it's pretty much not even qualified to be called such.

This is the poo poo right here. This is where the years and years of Mirifibot are going to start paying off very heavy dividends, as the waveform collapses and the walls of reality are closing in on the cult, each thing that happens will come with a fully curated set of original backer defenses courtesy of Mirificus.

To be fair, the same thing happened here. Did you forget the "Skadden will crush CIG ?" and "it's Skadden we're talking about here, not some amateurs" and "Skadden wouldn't touch a case they weren't 100% sure to win".

Result: Skadden got replaced and half of the claims are out of the picture.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

chaosapiant posted:

This thread made me curious and so I followed up to see what Dual Universe and Battlescape Infinity was like, but both look to be kinda just multiplayer games with a few other bells and whistles? B:I at least has some kind of offline exploratory mode. My dream game is one that combines the procgen base building poo poo and space legs with literally everything else in Elite: Dangerous.

Yeah yeah, you got baited by Chris's "dream" just like everybody. Procgen base building, space legs and an entire sandbox galaxy ? You don't get that in an indy game like I:B's. In fact you don't even get it with a $250M budget.

Go play and support real indies that make real games, even if they're less ambitious, than pledge into this black hole sucking your money and dreams that is called Star Citizen.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Okay, does anyone remember there was a dude who made a bunch of Twitter posts about how CI¿¿¿G??? had an obligation to make an "adult," "mature" game that was really just code for "my weird fetish" and had a gif of a woman tied to a chair getting hit by a bucket of water in all of his posts? Assuming this is something that actually happened or if I ate a bunch of expired meat and hallucinated in my fevered delirium, whatever happened to that guy? Is he still posting his weird nonsense? Did he get bored and move on to trying to get his rocks off to a different space game?

DID THIS ACTUALLY EVEN HAPPEN AT ALL??

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nyast posted:

Yeah yeah, you got baited by Chris's "dream" just like everybody. Procgen base building, space legs and an entire sandbox galaxy ? You don't get that in an indy game like I:B's. In fact you don't even get it with a $250M budget.

Go play and support real indies that make real games, even if they're less ambitious, than pledge into this black hole sucking your money and dreams that is called Star Citizen.

Well, tbh, Elite is getting space legs and procgen building - supposedly, by leaks - the next year, so maybe he'll get what he wants in some form. I'd say Elite's budget by this point is roughly around $80 M(?), probably slightly above, though it's hard to say with all the other games in their mix.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Time_pants posted:

Okay, does anyone remember there was a dude who made a bunch of Twitter posts about how CI¿¿¿G??? had an obligation to make an "adult," "mature" game that was really just code for "my weird fetish" and had a gif of a woman tied to a chair getting hit by a bucket of water in all of his posts? Assuming this is something that actually happened or if I ate a bunch of expired meat and hallucinated in my fevered delirium, whatever happened to that guy? Is he still posting his weird nonsense? Did he get bored and move on to trying to get his rocks off to a different space game?

Yes. Yes it did.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Time_pants posted:

Yes this happened but for whatever reason I can't find it again. I don't see it in my retweets or recaps. I probably threw it a heart but good luck scrolling those.

Speaking of Recaps you can find September 2019 Set 1 here: https://pricelesstrainwreck.github.io/post/20190917/

I haven't decided where to post them on SA yet. MMOHMO probably.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Soricidus posted:

My immersion will not be complete until dying in the game means dying in real life

But dying in real life means dying in the game. It's tier 0 immersion

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

commando in tophat posted:

But dying in real life means dying in the game. It's tier 0 immersion

Death Of A Pre-Alpha Chad

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

zcrow posted:

They did that mobile map app tie-in a while back. Can't remember the name but it was pretty tenuous.

Weather radar. That’s why i can’t fathom them not licensing.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The big reveal at CitCon will be a mobile game.

When the citizens get enraged, they will answer "Don't you all have phones?"

Why would CI!G do this?

Because Blizzard.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nyast posted:

His answer ? ".. but but but... they started with 12 developers !".

+ Crytek GMBH.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

So the medical ship is just a purchasable spawn point? How much is that, 10 bux?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

$10? Bwahahhaha.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How long till Chris demands ray tracing

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Here's a better quality:

It's not handles, it's some display thing, maybe for time control games? They seem differently curved at each side (mirrored, that is), so it's likely it's something like the left one is for you, the right one for your opponent.

i'm the two small tables that are floating

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

iospace posted:

How long till Chris demands ray tracing

two weeks

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

i'm the two small tables that are floating
If crappy 80s TV taught me anything it's that mundane poo poo needs to be floating or it isn't proper sci-fi.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hav posted:

Weather radar. That’s why i can’t fathom them not licensing.

I actually had that app installed. I removed it immediately when the tie-in happened.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

DigitalPenny posted:

I don't know why it upsets me so much, but I simply cannot handle 100k USD on outfits... They were not even that good.

At 50 USD an hour that's 2,000 man hours for a couple of single use outfits... I reckon you could get 30-35 top quality hand man's tailored suits for much.

Please bootcha you have to release an episode of sunk cost galaxy or show us some proof.

Unless is the appearance at pax, business / first class flights, nice hotels all expenses paid, the booth and several hemch men to boss around, and some cos play outfits. That I could believe.

I'm solidly with you on this.

If the cosplay outfits at the Aussie con cost $100,000 USD, then something is terribly wrong. Looking at the construction, I'd estimate maybe $2,000 USD to make (including props). This leaves one hell of a shortfall.

Compare this to dresses worn by actresses attending the Oscars. These are dresses designed and made by the world's most premier designers. These dresses are literal works of art and appreciate in value over time. Recent dresses have been estimated to cost $100,000 USD but these are red carpet event dresses that often set some fashion standards that last decades.

Even a generous $5,000 USD on the Aussie event cosplay leaves one hell of a shortfall and I'm curious where the remaining dollars went.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

r/spaceshipinstagram :yarg:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Golli posted:

The big reveal at CitCon will be a mobile game.

When the citizens get enraged, they will answer "Don't you all have phones?"

Why would CI!G do this?

Because Blizzard.

Mobile app, so you can answer the call

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

quote:

/r/spaceshipinstagram

:five:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Which of the world's great chess players will they have to mocap?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Dooguk posted:

Asking the real questions :discourse:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWr7_pILjM

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dooguk posted:

I offer myself for any rubbing mocap they may need. Just make sure they have sc reddit open on a "concern" or "drama" post.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nyast posted:

Nothing I said had anything to do with me backing or checking out Star Citizen, so I'm not sure what "baited by Chris's dream" means? I've never pledged or given any money to CIG, so I'm not sure if you're actually answering my post or someone else's by mistake?

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

jarlywarly posted:

quote:

/r/spaceshipinstagram

New thread title

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I just resigned myself to the fact I suck at disco. Old age and reflexes I guess combined with tv lag I blame it on. And I suck at mahjong too.

Gotta say, 0 was probably the most awesome/hilarious game I have ever played. The levels of absurdity are just astounding. Slowly working through 2.

But at the end of the day it cannot hold a candle to the AAAA+++ title known as Star Citizen.

This game taught me what was happening just off-camera in the clip of Thriller: an angry japanese man beating zombies with a motorcycle.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

boviscopophobic posted:

New thread title

r/spaceshipinstagram doesn't exist
CREATE COMMUNITY
GO HOME

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Nyast posted:

To be fair, the same thing happened here. Did you forget the "Skadden will crush CIG ?" and "it's Skadden we're talking about here, not some amateurs" and "Skadden wouldn't touch a case they weren't 100% sure to win".

Result: Skadden got replaced and half of the claims are out of the picture.

True, and I was one of the “doubt Skadden would touch this unless it was super strong” but to be fair that was based on actually being familiar with Skadden’s reputation and its big win in the ZeniMax v. Oculus matter, not just fanfic about how some 60-year-old judge might secretly be “a gamer.”

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

True, and I was one of the “doubt Skadden would touch this unless it was super strong” but to be fair that was based on actually being familiar with Skadden’s reputation and its big win in the ZeniMax v. Oculus matter, not just fanfic about how some 60-year-old judge might secretly be “a gamer.”

drat, that's close to my 'this game is going to be heavily compromised if it ever gets released' reasoning. We're obviously the problem.

tooterfish posted:

If crappy 80s TV taught me anything it's that mundane poo poo needs to be floating or it isn't proper sci-fi.

It's not the future if you can't send a coffee table careening around the room. A future of cats and floating furniture will be amazing and now I want to live in that reality...

Corzen posted:

Even a generous $5,000 USD on the Aussie event cosplay leaves one hell of a shortfall and I'm curious where the remaining dollars went.

Well, I keep telling people to look at Chris' wrist in that skit, because it's the only thing that suggests 'money' to my inner Guttersnipe, Pickpocket and Ne'er Do well. It's like the only thing that fits.

Unless they went and 3D-printed every gee-gaw rather than get a hold of a vacuum-fab bed. Strangli's belt has those plastic utility boxes on it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jarlywarly posted:

r/spaceshipinstagram doesn't exist
CREATE COMMUNITY
GO HOME

1) Fill it with pics from Elite: Dangerous.*
2) Agressively delete any posts of images from SC and ban the posters.
3) ?
4) Profit!

* Initially wrote ED pics, but didn't want there to be any confusion i was talking about the ability of male genitalia to become tumescent, or lack thereof.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Or buy the costume for $2000, charge the company $100,000, pocket $98,000.

I have experienced this exact poo poo in a job long ago, where someone was (allegedly) systematically draining the company's cash by pulling this same scam. The scam even involved coffee machines at one point.

This is EXACTLY what's happening at CIG. Remember that very expensive space door? Same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Space Court isn't entirely boring. My favorite part was when the cult theorycrafted whether or not the judge would compromise her work ethic because her dad something something space, therefore she'd see the incredible things CIG was trying to do. The arrogance was staggering - the fact that they equate Chris Roberts's brain-fart with some kind of monumental advancement in our understanding and appreciation of space exploration - and that their failed-model viewer is so incredible that a US judge would literally sacrifice her job to defend it.

I would think the judge would have been more likely to order a psychological evaluation of Chris Roberts and his weird handwaving, assuming he ever showed up in court, rather than compromise her legal neutrality because a has-been who doesn't understand space is trying to make a terrible space game and selling JPEGs in advance.