Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm enjoying this so far because Chris never made it through any of the games hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Skanker posted:

The RE book is something I've heard people talk about fondly (in a so-bad-it's-good way) and it sure seems it holds up? This episode got me determined to look up what Perry is all about.

Well, her dad wrote Shadows of the Empire

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Dash Rendar

oh my God he's so cool

he did so much cool stuff, like

uh

like that one time!!! Yeah.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Oh man her dad wrote SHEEEEEE-zor? Galaxy-class sexhaver and hot lizardman who's smart and hot and has sex stink???

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Djeser posted:

Oh man her dad wrote SHEEEEEE-zor? Galaxy-class sexhaver and hot lizardman who's smart and hot and has sex stink???

And magic sexy fruit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

And magic sexy fruit.

Magic DEADLY sexy fruit!

:eng101:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Magic DEADLY sexy fruit!

:eng101:

Like a pufferfish, but it's different cuz it's FROOT.

As a child, I reread the part where Leia kicks Xizor in the dick a lot because lol

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Dash Rendar

oh my God he's so cool

he did so much cool stuff, like

uh

like that one time!!! Yeah.

And then he gets completely mercked by a rock at the end of the book to get him out of continuity. (He got better)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The "five people you meet in heaven" was covered by Worst Bestsellers today. I guess one of the people I meet is a blue guy who I get killed?

Edit: This sounds like a slog of a book. Eddie is racking up a kill count too.

Edit 2: How was this a book???

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 21, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why I listen to this podcast when so many of the books they review are painful to listen about. Does anyone else do this?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

RandomPauI posted:

I don't know why I listen to this podcast when so many of the books they review are painful to listen about. Does anyone else do this?

Some of them are fun to make fun of though. Like the recent Ace Frehley one. Autobiographies of stupid musicians tend to be funny because they're just so sincere in their stupidity.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah, that was a good one. Is there anyone under 60 that likes Kiss?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

I use it as a reading recommendation list. Now I own Scruples, Twoples, AND Thruples!

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

AstroWhale posted:

Yeah, that was a good one. Is there anyone under 60 that likes Kiss?

Creatures of the Night is some pretty good music.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The debut is solid, when they were underdogs and still a band instead of a toy franchise.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The debut is solid, when they were underdogs and still a band instead of a toy franchise.

And coffin provider for dead musicians.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Speaking of, now everything that I personally know about gene simmons comes from the radio call-in that chris linked in the show notes; it's absolutely bonkers, a huge recommend. I'm glad I listened to it at home by myself instead of out in public somewhere due to the range of facial expressions I unconsciously made in response to it

RandomPauI posted:

Whenever the book at hand is an action/thriller starring Tough White Male Variant I've gotten to the point of just skipping them, they're all samey and I just kind of drift off and stop paying attention

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

flesh dance posted:

Speaking of, now everything that I personally know about gene simmons comes from the radio call-in that chris linked in the show notes; it's absolutely bonkers, a huge recommend. I'm glad I listened to it at home by myself instead of out in public somewhere due to the range of facial expressions I unconsciously made in response to it
If you aren't already a Best Show listener, you're seriously missing out.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

flesh dance posted:

Whenever the book at hand is an action/thriller starring Tough White Male Variant I've gotten to the point of just skipping them, they're all samey and I just kind of drift off and stop paying attention

I can think of some of the thrillers that were fun, but after two cozy mysteries I just started skipping them. They just aren't interesting enough even in bad way to make for good riffing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, we need more variety.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I would be fine if there were just Music biographies. This is why I started to listen to And Introducing..., which covers just these and music in general. J.W. Friedman was on the Sebastian Bach episode.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

there wolf posted:

I can think of some of the thrillers that were fun, but after two cozy mysteries I just started skipping them. They just aren't interesting enough even in bad way to make for good riffing.

And there are totally bad and infuriating cozy mysteries! Teen Creeps just did the first Joanne Fluke cookie baking mystery for an Outside Genre and it was my favorite episode of theirs in months.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Semi-related I liked Teen Creeps while they were going through all the Fear Street and RL Stein I remembered avidly reading as a teen, but stopped listening when it went all modern-ish YA.

Is there a good book podcast that focuses on trashy TSR fantasy books? One of my favourite IDEOAT was "Dragons of Autumn Twilight" and I'd love more stuff like that.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Snuffman posted:

Is there a good book podcast that focuses on trashy TSR fantasy books? One of my favourite IDEOAT was "Dragons of Autumn Twilight" and I'd love more stuff like that.
No idea if it's good, but I found a podcast called Reading the Realms that's going through all of the Forgotten Realms novels chronologically.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I used to love the podcast but I haven't listened to a new episode since around when they started doing the cozy mysteries. :shrug:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Cozy mysteries are much less interesting than dick-swinging early 20th century adventure novels, and there has been too much of both lately.

Give me another goddamn reality show lady book.

Give me another video game book.

Give me another Pregnesia. (Which Smart Bitches, Trashy Books covered yeeeears ago, tbh.)

GIVE ME MODELLAND, YOU AWESOME GENTLEMEN.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The best podcast about Modelland wasn't even a book podcast, it was just drunk Sydnee McElroy explaining the plot to her increasingly baffled husband. It was 2013 or something so good luck digging that one up.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

YggiDee posted:

The best podcast about Modelland wasn't even a book podcast, it was just drunk Sydnee McElroy explaining the plot to her increasingly baffled husband. It was 2013 or something so good luck digging that one up.

I cried laughing.

goon librarian loves you

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I sent them several pages of an incredible Scruples-y Hollywood trash book ages ago and still haven't seen any sign of it. They (kinda) took me up on my Joan Collins recommendation, so I don't know what the deal is. :sigh:

Edit: Might as well share a bit.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 20, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't care what book they do, I just want them to have guests again. The episodes with guests are consistently and significantly better than the episodes where it's just the two of them, and they almost never have them any more.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Are there any essential premium episodes?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Cool Cat Saves the Kids

I also really enjoyed the hard passes episode and wish they'd do more episodes like that where they just chat about books in general.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I refuse to believe that Skillset Magazine is not satire.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Parts two and three for your convenience:
http://satellitedish.libsyn.com/a-satellite-dish-special-modeland-part-2
http://satellitedish.libsyn.com/a-satellite-dish-special-modelland-part-3

Listened to this at work. I had gotten used to the weird fantasy world and its Metalocalypse-esque obsession with a single activity. The part that broke me was the lesson of the first major test at the academy. I thought the hallucinations of their faces melting off was going to give some trite lesson about identity, so “Don’t share makeup. That’s unsanitary,” hit me like a truck.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Youth Decay posted:

I refuse to believe that Skillset Magazine is not satire.

This was the best episode in a long time, it turns out you don't have to have a bunch of forced games and activities to fill time when the thing you're talking about is actually interesting enough to support an episode on its own. Honestly like a lot of people in this thread I've been losing a lot of interest in the show and it feels like the recent focus on cozy mysteries and disposable manly adventure books is them coping with running out of actually interesting or provacative titles by choosing books that are quick and easy to read because they have to get through something for the show.

I would be happy if the show expanded its breadth to include things other than books or they moved on to a different project rather than getting diminishing returns out of some sense of inertia or obligation.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

All their patreon episodes are in this vein, just playing fast & loose with something strange or goofy, and a lot of the time it makes for far better listening imo. They did an old High Times, an Air Guitar handbook, f-ing Cool Cat Saves the Kids, a bunch of great stuff. I ended all my patreon pledges a year ago when money was tight and never resubbed to IDEOTV because I'd lost a lot of interest in the main show. If they split their 2 episodes a month between one book and one "book-like object" such as Skillset they'd be less stressed for time and possibly put out a better product, but then I dunno what special sauce they'd do for patreon people. Right now a lot of their funniest content is paywalled :/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
CRABS!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CRABS THAT gently caress!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand, there's a king crab but a lady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
New episode about Pokémon: Detective Pikachu: The Story of the Movie featuring Kotaku’s Gita Jackson. Surprisingly, the guest’s Plot in 60 Seconds is very good even if she runs way over, and it’s fun hearing her and J geek out for Pokémon.