Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Wafflecopper posted:

feather is a deck that promotes my opponents itching their balls for 2 minutes every single turn while they decide "should I remove my opponent's creature with a spell I get back for free with no downside and swing in against his now-empty board"

Well they do have to figure out how many times they need to cast Gods Willing before their next untap so they can be sure you can't meaningfully interact with them while they kill all your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Chadzok posted:

I think feather is a pretty unique and cool deck which promotes the use of otherwise completely unplayable trash cards?
i felt that way pre-gods willing.

Now it's just some dev's obnoxious pushed pet deck that makes me roll my eyes.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

God's Willing is a cool and good card that really, really, really should not have been printed while a method to make it something you can do every. single. turn. exists.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wafflecopper posted:

feather is a deck that promotes my opponents itching their balls for 2 minutes every single turn while they decide "should I remove my opponent's creature with a spell I get back for free with no downside and swing in against his now-empty board"

This

I would be more willing to accept it if people played it as fast as RDW but it's silly how slow those games get

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

No Wave posted:

i felt that way pre-gods willing.

Now it's just some dev's obnoxious pushed pet deck that makes me roll my eyes.

No, they’ve been trying to give Boros design space that isn’t just “turn ‘em sideways for years and Feather is a great card for that. She enables a completely new archetype for a color combination that hasn’t had a good card advantage engine since... uh basically ever.

It’s also the straight up easier deck to beat ever, sure sometimes they just HAVE IT like Simic Flash and you were always going to die, but the deck won’t have the infinite free removal engine that gave it true gas vs Vamps/WW

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i love getting counterspelled seven turns in a row

cool game

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

God's Willing is a cool and good card that really, really, really should not have been printed while a method to make it something you can do every. single. turn. exists.

I don't think the combo is breaking standard lol, it's a neat interaction but not impossible to beat

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Generally if a deck isn't doing something kinda busted, it's not going to be a good constructed deck.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The big problem with the Feather deck is that it's half creatures and half pump spells and the deck folds if it draws one without the other. You can win a lot of games against Feather by removing their one creature because they never end up drawing another one and sit with a Gird for Battle and 2 Defiant Strikes in hand.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Feather pilots on Arena are notoriously terrible, they almost always play poo poo non-stop in hope of a goldfish but scoop when opponent shows bare minimum of early interaction.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Feather pilots on Arena are notoriously terrible, they almost always play poo poo non-stop in hope of a goldfish but scoop when opponent shows bare minimum of early interaction.

They also seem to take ages to do their turns.

I wish they'd put the chess clock in bo1

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Feather is a midrange deck that requires a skilled pilot, it’s not an aggro deck and if you play it like one you lose a lot.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Equally playing against it rewards holding up removal if they tap out to play a creature, I got burned last night playing mono-red when I chose to run out Viashino Pyromancer instead of holding up Shock which could have gotten a 10th District Legionnaire

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I cant see how holding the shock up works in you favor unless opponent plays a pump into empty mana or only has gird (sorcery speed).... maybe I'm misunderstanding it.

(And if they tapped out you can just shock it next turn.)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MikeCrotch posted:

The big problem with the Feather deck is that it's half creatures and half pump spells and the deck folds if it draws one without the other. You can win a lot of games against Feather by removing their one creature because they never end up drawing another one and sit with a Gird for Battle and 2 Defiant Strikes in hand.

I was using Squee to get around this. Always a creature available in that case. Made the deck pretty consistent.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how Naya Feather would be. I'd be worried about losing consistency a bit but replace the reckless rage with Domri's Ambush, and putting in Seasons of Growth. It seems like the support for a tri-color deck will be weaker come Eldraine, but maybe?? Gargos and Feather in the same deck seems like it would own even if it would never, ever work out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kashuno posted:

I wonder how Naya Feather would be. I'd be worried about losing consistency a bit but replace the reckless rage with Domri's Ambush, and putting in Seasons of Growth. It seems like the support for a tri-color deck will be weaker come Eldraine, but maybe?? Gargos and Feather in the same deck seems like it would own even if it would never, ever work out

This took second in that weekly pro streamer tourney this week

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Naya Feather rules you dinguses. You complete buffoons.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I really enjoy my Naya Feather deck. It's inconsistent and could probably use some work, especially because a few of its cards are rotating, but I learned to appreciate the split cards from the Guilds block.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Naya Feather's mana is going to stink like hot garbage without checklands though.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I was very happy and winning consistently with my Boros Feather deck. Naya Feather deck has been garbage for me though. I think the deck is too fragile for three colors.

I found Seasons of Growth to be a win-more condition rather than an actual help to set up Feather. And as cool as Domri's Raid seems, that two mana cost really messes up the Dreadhorde Arcanists. Overall, it's too hard to put an early threat on the board, and by the time Feather comes out, the opponent has too many answers left in their hand.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Human Crouton posted:

I was very happy and winning consistently with my Boros Feather deck. Naya Feather deck has been garbage for me though. I think the deck is too fragile for three colors.

I found Seasons of Growth to be a win-more condition rather than an actual help to set up Feather. And as cool as Domri's Raid seems, that two mana cost really messes up the Dreadhorde Arcanists. Overall, it's too hard to put an early threat on the board, and by the time Feather comes out, the opponent has too many answers left in their hand.

My use case for domri's ambush with arcanist is usually to use it on turn 3 to pump the arcanist, which lets me use it again when he attacks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only 3 color deck in Standard is going to be Knights unless the format really slows down.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

The only 3 color deck in Standard is going to be Knights unless the format really slows down.

the standard 2020 with cavalcade and rakdos is consistently fast- change my mind

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cheen posted:

the standard 2020 with cavalcade and rakdos is consistently fast- change my mind

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Bust Rodd posted:

Nah there will be 3 colour decks but they will be more midrangey/controlly and more likely to be wedges than shards (because wedges can play 8 temples)

Also the top mono coloured aggro decks are losing a ton (mono red, mono white and mono blue) so it remains to be seen how fast the format will really be. I suspect some form of knight deck will be the top aggro deck though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We don't know what the meta helldeck is going to be because it hasn't yet been invented by Strassky and StanCifka two weeks after release.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cheen posted:

There's an entire set of cards that aren't in the event

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I hope the Sultai Yarok shell will work in some form in standard. Rising Reef really helps smooth things out even without checklands

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotta "Draw your second card" effects

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mono-G Henge Stompy? Jam in Kiora there too

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hope the Sultai Yarok shell will work in some form in standard. Rising Reef really helps smooth things out even without checklands
Sultai Yarok, Simic Flash, some form of aggro knights and jeskai walkers will probably all be around in the first month and good.

Mono-black definitely looks like a deck you can roll your face on the keyboard on and win with, but I'm not sure it will be "good" so much as having a bonkers goldfish.

Oh and yeah Gruul or Kiora Henge is probably real. Having ramp that draws cards and gains life while also having a land ramp you for 0 cost is pretty bonkers.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Why the heck is the boomerang fairy mythic?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Mono-G Henge Stompy? Jam in Kiora there too

Def. where it seems to fit best. At least Ghalta and Steelleaf Champ are loving off

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Why the heck is the boomerang fairy mythic?
Sometimes in testing a mythic will prove unfortunate in some capacity and get sent back to the files. They then have the option of putting in a "safe" Mythic - Archangel's Light is the usual example - or bumping a rare. In this case it looks entirely like they bumped a rare.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Sometimes in testing a mythic will prove unfortunate in some capacity and get sent back to the files. They then have the option of putting in a "safe" Mythic - Archangel's Light is the usual example - or bumping a rare. In this case it looks entirely like they bumped a rare.

Can't wait to open a 4-of in my first ten packs

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
spoilers: it's mythic because of lucky clover shenanigans

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

zoux posted:

Can't wait to open a 4-of in my first ten packs

There are a bunch of mythics in this set that I'm gonna be real mad I opened

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't know, at least half of them look fun to try out. Other than cauldron and mirror, the artifact cycle does look a little winmore. Mirror just looks like hot poo poo.

Control looks a lot better with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

not gonna lie i had to read that about four times