Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

AceOfFlames posted:

Different Piccolo.

Red Metal posted:

that was his dad

I meant the dog. I thought the dog used to be the King and not just the President.
Probably remembering that wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

christmas boots posted:

Piccolo was a plant
I mean, he was a demon-plant,
Or maybe he was just a demon…
Oh right I forgot he was the negative essence of Kami, who cast all that off and maybe puked his own egg or just plant-divided himself and them Kami and Piccolo fuse so it's like his son-nephew came home again.

What I'm saying is Piccolo for Kingdom Hearts 4.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Ok, so there are actually 5 Piccolos: Master Piccolo, Young Piccolo, Nail-Piccolo, Kami and Xamik...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FilthyImp posted:

Oh right I forgot he was the negative essence of Kami, who cast all that off and maybe puked his own egg or just plant-divided himself and them Kami and Piccolo fuse so it's like his son-nephew came home again.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Krispy Wafer posted:

I enjoyed Never Say Never Again. It wasn't an 'official' Bond movie and could only be made because of a loophole with Thunderball. Connery was supposed to be an old past his prime James Bond, but he was younger than Roger Moore.

I watched it a billion times as a kid because we had it recorded off the TV.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Octopussy is my go to "worst James Bond" movie. It's just so loving boring. Pretty much all the Roger Moore ones are bad but at least Live and Let Die and Moonraker are bonkers

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

DBZ is two shows, a fighting show and a slice of life anime, and I very much prefer when it does the latter

I like the crazy training sequences.

The fighting would be better if every fight didn't last about five times longer than it does. When they redo the movie fights in Super they wreck the pacing by making them way too long.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Octopussy is my go to "worst James Bond" movie. It's just so loving boring. Pretty much all the Roger Moore ones are bad but at least Live and Let Die and Moonraker are bonkers

Octopussy has Roger Moore dressed as a clown.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

All I remember about Octopussy is that it features Indian professional Tennis player Vijay Armitraj in it, and in one scene he hits someone with a tennis racket.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

octopussy got the yo yo-wielding indigenous assassins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JqcDOr7kPQ&t=62s

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AFewBricksShy posted:

I believe the shaving thing was Moneypenny.

I was going to say that that was one of the most erotic scenes in any Bond film, and then I came to the sad conclusion that it was the only actually erotic scene in any Bond film.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Shoe throwing guy from Austin Powers is serving a life sentence for torture.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sweet geek swag posted:

Octopussy has Roger Moore dressed as a clown.

Where Agent 47 got the idea?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

rodbeard posted:

Shoe throwing guy from Austin Powers is serving a life sentence for torture.

Don't forget the vandalism! He also got his dick punched over and over and over and over......and over and over and over and over.....and over and over and over and over and over again in the UFC by Keith "PreCog" Hackney.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Where Agent 47 got the idea?

Nah, from Diana's reaction in the tutorial mission in the new ones, nobody ever even imagined using a disguise in that universe before 47 invented doing so.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

BrigadierSensible posted:

All I remember about Octopussy is that it features Indian professional Tennis player Vijay Armitraj in it, and in one scene he hits someone with a tennis racket.

With a boing sound effect and a crowd of Indians watching it like he's a wimbledon. Then bond hands him a stack of rupees and says "that'll keep you in curry."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ms Adequate posted:

Nah, from Diana's reaction in the tutorial mission in the new ones, nobody ever even imagined using a disguise in that universe before 47 invented doing so.
That would explain why no one is able to recognise him. The idea to doubt someone's apparent identity either doesn't occur to them at all or seems so ridiculous that they can't imagine it actually happening.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
re: bond, this is a pretty entertaining thread: No, Mr. Bond, I Expect You To Read - Let's Read James Bond

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dragon Ball gets a lot of mileage about how the idea of action heroes having to go through normal everyday activities between adventures has incredible comedy potential, especially taking the piss out of how their personalities are usually hilariously ill-suited for life outside death-defying hijinx, or just intense enough to make them fun to watch doing pretty much anything. Or both.

My favorite part is how Chichi insists that their children get a good education so that when they grow up they have opportunities to do things other than fighting. Unlike, you know, her illiterate husband.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hyperhazard posted:

My favorite part is how Chichi insists that their children get a good education so that when they grow up they have opportunities to do things other than fighting. Unlike, you know, her illiterate husband.

Hey, Goku was only illiterate until Master Roshi's training! Where he was taught to read from the articles in dirty magazines.

Funny thing is that Master Roshi's training regimen is actually rounded and well thought out for the most part despite its ridiculous intensity, and it becomes a plot point that the Crane Hermit in contrast taught Tien and Chiaotzu advanced techniques but they still needed to count their fingers to do basic math.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey, Goku was only illiterate until Master Roshi's training! Where he was taught to read from the articles in dirty magazines.

Funny thing is that Master Roshi's training regimen is actually rounded and well thought out for the most part despite its ridiculous intensity, and it becomes a plot point that the Crane Hermit in contrast taught Tien and Chiaotzu advanced techniques but they still needed to count their fingers to do basic math.

Dragon Ball has a weirdly realistic approach to training that I don't think I've seen in really any other anime. I mean yeah, they're obviously doing things that are completely impossible in reality but there's still times where they make a point of showing how it's just as important to rest your body too instead of constantly overtraining it, the Cell saga being the big one there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean DBs main training regiment is strapping heavy poo poo on you, which you uh should never do

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean DBs main training regiment is strapping heavy poo poo on you, which you uh should never do

Pssh, just eat a magic bean and quit yer bitching

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That's true, but considering in real life people wear weighted cuffs etc. for fitness that falls under 'Real techniques being amazingly effective' rather than straight-up magic.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
My favourite part of the weighted clothes is in DB Abridged when Picollo boasts that he's been fighting with a handicap and takes them off, and Cell asks him how much it weighs

'100 KILOS!!!...yeah that concept kind of lost meaning after a while didn't it'

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

CityMidnightJunky posted:

My favourite part of the weighted clothes is in DB Abridged when Picollo boasts that he's been fighting with a handicap and takes them off, and Cell asks him how much it weighs

In comparison, it was hilarious in the Buu saga where Vegeta is teleported to a dimension with 10x gravity and his opponent is acting all smug, and Vegeta is like, "Nah, I don't even feel it." And then he just kills the guy without even trying.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Weights on your wrists/ankles for general training or alternatively holding a dumbbell while practicing punches is a thing so at least it draws a little from reality.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Just to reiterate I was more talking about the attitude towards rest being an important part of training and not so much about whether or not the training itself was realistic

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It will always be hilarious when Piccolo casually hands the guy his hat and the guy immediately plummets to the ground.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It will always be hilarious when Piccolo casually hands the guy his hat and the guy immediately plummets to the ground.

One of the series's greatest strengths was being made by a dude known for gag comics.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Detective No. 27 posted:

One of the series's greatest strengths was being made by a dude known for gag comics.

So one of his proteges has been in charge of the Dragon Ball Super manga, and apparently Toriyama would supervise and micromanage, but only about the jokes and never anything else.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I like him doing the dramatised version of the Cell games but making it look like he was the big hero saving Goku, and everyone else is really offended but Goku is just loving the show finding it hilarious. :3:.

I am disappointed they recorded, but didn't go through with airing, the team4star dub of the fake cell games

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You guys are almost making me wanna watch Dragonball Z. Realistically at best I'll just watch a cut of the best jokes on YouTube but I like what I'm hearing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The anime is so loving slow you're better off doing that, to be honest.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Pay two of your friends pizza and beer to just stand in your back yard and scream at each other for half an hour. It's about the same experience.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Dragonball Kai does all the way up to finishing the Cell Saga by 98 episodes when that was 194 episodes originally in Z.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm pretty sure Goku Vs. Freiza in Z still holds the world record for longest single fight in a visual medium or something like that. You cut it together and that poo poo's over five hours.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty sure Goku Vs. Freiza in Z still holds the world record for longest single fight in a visual medium or something like that. You cut it together and that poo poo's over five hours.

Doesn’t that fight also take place against a backdrop of “The planet is going to explode in only 10 minutes!!!”, which really highlights how long it’s taking?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Kai cuts out a lot of poo poo, like a lot. It could cut out more but that would require a ground up remake which is not what they wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

You guys are almost making me wanna watch Dragonball Z. Realistically at best I'll just watch a cut of the best jokes on YouTube but I like what I'm hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6EC7B047181AD013

Ask and ye shall receive