Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Simic flash is currently missing a 3 drop slot and players are filling it with Whisper Agent so I can definitely see that fairy being played if Simic flash continues to be a thing.

Mad Ratter looks like it could have some insane synergy in a Rakdos aristocrats deck if it didn't cost 4 mana. Not needing double red is great though, loving Chandra is basically a turn four drop anyway because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Rats off to ya

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Abzan wolf tribal is gonna be the first deck I make and I don't even care if it's gonna be good, it's gonna be super fun for sure.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

The lands seem good for the most part, which kinda sucks because imo it doesn't feel fun to spend a rare on a land.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Dracula Factory posted:

The lands seem good for the most part, which kinda sucks because imo it doesn't feel fun to spend a rare on a land.

Feel the same way with Once Upon a Time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't know, at least half of them look fun to try out. Other than cauldron and mirror, the artifact cycle does look a little winmore. Mirror just looks like hot poo poo.

Control looks a lot better with

I still regularly see evolving wilds played so welp.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I assume someone has done the math on deck thinning, is it actually relevant?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, it's better to have fewer cards in your deck

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

zoux posted:

I mean, it's better to have fewer cards in your deck

Sorry, I guess I should have said "statistically significant"

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It can also be a free shuffle if you're putting bad things back on top your deck.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The math has been done and the short answer is “it rarely matters”

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sorry, I guess I should have said "statistically significant"

That doesn't mean anything.

Deck thinning is a very slim advantage but it's nonetheless an advantage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Time posted:

The math has been done and the short answer is “it rarely matters”

Then why is it so verboten to play 61 card decks

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

zoux posted:

Sometimes it’s ok

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You astonish me

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
My dirty secret is every 10-15 matches I’ll submit 61 for a game because I’m waffling on a cut. That’s probably too much.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Other people playing that Azorious Fliers deck from a page or two ago in the Standard 2020 event:

Are you getting your money's worth from those pteramanders? I've never been able to Adapt one in the games I've played. There's not enough instant/sorc spells to make it much cheaper and a game that has let me drop 8 mana on the field is a game that I've lost. My typical win is playing a surprise Rally of Wings to swing for an unexpected 8 or 10 damage or my opponent snap conceding when they don't have removal for Sephara.

I don't know what I'd replace them with though. Maybe Faerie Miscreants? It loses the adapt threat, but I might get another couple of card draws out of it?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

it's relevant in the sense that it will make you slightly less likely to draw a land off the top of your deck, but it's a very small percentage that doesn't outweigh the cost of having lands that cost you life or enter the battlefield tapped or whatever.

zoux posted:

because it does not cost you life or tempo to remove the 61st card out of your deck.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bedurndurn posted:

Other people playing that Azorious Fliers deck from a page or two ago in the Standard 2020 event:

Are you getting your money's worth from those pteramanders? I've never been able to Adapt one in the games I've played. There's not enough instant/sorc spells to make it much cheaper and a game that has let me drop 8 mana on the field is a game that I've lost. My typical win is playing a surprise Rally of Wings to swing for an unexpected 8 or 10 damage or my opponent snap conceding when they don't have removal for Sephara.

I don't know what I'd replace them with though. Maybe Faerie Miscreants? It loses the adapt threat, but I might get another couple of card draws out of it?

play those 2/1 pegasi imo

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Its been a while since Ive read anything on it, but the math was you need to get turn 20+ after fetching 4 times to equal drawing a card.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Deck thinning does matter, in that the improvement in your odds of drawing a spell is not zero. It also works in the reverse way, in that if you really want to draw a land you may choose to hold off on using a fetchland until after you've drawn for the turn.

It does not matter enough for you to put fetchlands or Street Wraith in your deck "for thinning", because those cards cost you in other ways that have a far bigger impact on your odds of winning the game.

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed
I was considering jumping back in after about 8 months so I took a look at the current meta snapshot which appears to have changed very little. Does RDW just eternally dominate?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

graveportents posted:

I was considering jumping back in after about 8 months so I took a look at the current meta snapshot which appears to have changed very little. Does RDW just eternally dominate?

it is literally changing next week with the set rotations

edit: also what meta snapshot are you even talking about

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also the RDW you were familiar with is very different from the Cavalcade builds that are now popular

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed

flatluigi posted:

edit: also what meta snapshot are you even talking about

https://mtgarena.pro/

I assume it's accurate?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

rdw only has the 6th highest winrate according to that

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nope

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

that website is ranking it by number of games played across all ranked and unranked games, bo1 and bo3

it also hasn't updated its autodetected archetypes in forever and doesn't have any scapeshift decks listed, for example

so, no

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed

Wafflecopper posted:

rdw only has the 6th highest winrate according to that

Yeah you're right. I was being a dumb wiener and sorting by Win%.

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed

flatluigi posted:

that website is ranking it by number of games played across all ranked and unranked games, bo1 and bo3

it also hasn't updated its autodetected archetypes in forever and doesn't have any scapeshift decks listed, for example

so, no

Are there any reliable snapshots? Sorry for double post.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

graveportents posted:

Are there any reliable snapshots? Sorry for double post.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, for now you should look at paper statistics for what's actually Good. I have high hopes for untapped.gg when they get established enough to spin up their data collection for Arena (they're the people behind HSReplay for hearthstone), but just about everything out there you see for arena specifically is going to be pretty flawed from a combination of lack of data and lack of analysis

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

flatluigi posted:

yeah, for now you should look at paper statistics for what's actually Good. I have high hopes for untapped.gg when they get established enough to spin up their data collection for Arena (they're the people behind HSReplay for hearthstone), but just about everything out there you see for arena specifically is going to be pretty flawed from a combination of lack of data and lack of analysis

You've seen their collection site?

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1174390596942946306
lol

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
MTGO adding a load of quality-of-life poo poo that's already proven in Arena. Baby steps to merging the two.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Isn't the MTGO menu now just "MTGA but if it were in Windows 95"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok since I think we're pretty much waiting for dump day tomorrow I think I can officially say: gently caress all the lovely equipment in this set and in this standard.
Syr Gwyn really needed to come out when Dominaria was legal.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm at the bottom of Diamond 4 and just played the #17 ranked mythic player. This is similar to my post from the other day when I got matched against another high ranked mythic player despite being way down here. I've been losing all night so I don't know why the matchmaker is trying to gently caress with me so much.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't the MTGO menu now just "MTGA but if it were in Windows 95"

MTGA doesn't have Cube!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Momir's basically Cube except the game decides what you drafted