Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Alrighty folks, the moment we've been waiting 20 years for has finally arrived,

They're actually filming another Mortal Kombat movie.

And god bless them for it, because it looks like they're approaching this from a fairly decent direction. James Wan (Saw, The Conjuring, Aquaman) is the lead producer on the movie, and he's hired Simon McQuoid to direct. McQuoid has no film direction experience, but if you click on his name you can see some of the commercials he's directed, many of which are directly gaming related (Halo, CoD, that PS3 commercial where all of the character are in a bar). The main writer is similarly fresh into the industry; Greg Russo (not one of those Russos) has literally no film credits to his name, but off of his work on the MK script he got hired to write a Resident Evil reboot and a loving Space Invaders movie, so obviously someone is investing in his success, and the fact that no cowriters have been hired is very interesting for a first time writer making a franchise movie, even if it's a franchise where WB isn't exactly breaking out the Batman Bucks to get it done. They're filming in Australia, with a cast of names who seem like a collection of actors who will make you go "oh yeah, i've seen them before", so this could be the sort of movie that makes some big profits even if it doesn't set the world on fire. It helps that the cast and crew is truly cross-Pacific, with representation from the US, Australia, Japan, China, Indonesia and Singapore.

Ludi Lin is playing Liu Kang. His most notable American role was as the Black Ranger in the live-action Power Rangers movie from a few years back, but he's also shown up in Wan's Aquaman and the newest season of Black Mirror.

Tadanobu Asano is playing Raiden. Americans will recognize him from his role as Hogun in the Thor movies, but he's a prolific actor in Japan, having worked with names film nerds will recognize like Takashi Miike, Beat Takeshi and Hideaki Anno.

The Twilight Samurai himself, Hiroyuki Sanada is playing Scorpion. Sanada was the main villain in The Wolverine as well as getting shot to death by Hawkeye in Avengers Endgame, but has had a long and illustrious career both in Japan and the US.

Joe Taslim is playing Sub-Zero. He did appear briefly in Star Trek Beyond and Fast 6, but he's most well known for his incredibly brutal fight scenes in movies like The Raid: Redemption and The Night Comes For Us, as well as the Netflix series Warrior. (honestly, the entire movie is really well cast, but this is probably the best casting of all; if the fight scenes are anything like The Raid we will be in for a treat)

Chin Han is playing Shang Tsung. While some may recognize him from roles in Captain America: The Winter Soldier or the live-action Ghost in the Shell, the two things he's most famous for are Netflix's big budget international series Marco Polo and The Dark Knight, in which he got Bat-jacked by Bruce Wayne in Hong Kong.

Jessica McNamee is playing Sonya. She cut her chops in Australian television, but in the last couple years has appeared in films like The Meg, CHIPS and Battle of the Sexes, but MK is primed to be her big breakout.

Mehcad Brooks is playing Jax. He left his role as Hot Jimmy Olsen in Supergirl to film MK, but he's been a television regular for two decades, appearing in shows like Unnecessary Roughness, The Game, True Blood, Desperate Housewives and Boston Public.

Josh Lawson is playing Kano. Another veteran of Australian television, Lawson has had recurring roles on Superstore and House of Lies, and will be appearing as another evil Australian, James Murdoch, in Bombshell (coming this December!)

Max Huang is playing Kung Lao. Huang is a stuntman by trade, doing work for the first Kingsman movie as well as being a member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team, so he's definitely going to be able to pull off the cool hat tricks necessary to play Kung. Plus, tell me that picture of him doesn't have exactly the right attitude.

Sisi Stringer is playing Mileena. This will be Stringer's first real acting role. No one really knows that much about her, but that doesn't stop content farms making articles about her that have such enlightening facts as "she likes music maybe?"

Finally, Lewis Tan has been cast in an as-yet-unnamed lead role, but i want you to look at these pictures, look at which incredibly notable Mortal Kombat character is missing, and tell me you don't know exactly who this big handsome man is playing.

The movie is set for release in March 2021, but production began today! (September 16th, for those of you in the future) We should be seeing a lot of coverage of the filming soon, with any luck. Greg Russo (writer of the film) is apparently at the production site and looks like he'll be tweeting what he can, so you can follow him for updates and set pics (plus dude has only 3500 followers, which is pretty sad for a big Hollywood screenwriter)

https://twitter.com/TheLewisTan/status/1172867114019037185?s=20
https://twitter.com/WriterRusso/status/1173380438586318849?s=20

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I clicked reply but am genuinely having difficulty putting into words how hype I am for this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Like this cast fuckin' rules, I hope they don't get TOO out there with it and just have a lot of good gory fights.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope the new Mortal Kombat is just a direct film adaptation of this stage play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpf0wxJk75E

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

is this a joke?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

I hope the new Mortal Kombat is just a direct film adaptation of this stage play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PUmBe3xV4o

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Peanut President posted:

is this a joke?

it better not be because jesus christ

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I really like how non-white that cast is. Hope the actor playing Raiden is practicing his best hehehe though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa and Christopher Lambert should get a cameos as elder gods.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

calling it now: this movie is going to own

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...Sanada's a little old for Scorpion, no?

e: Like I don't think Scorp should be a kid or anything, but Sanada's pushing 60. Taslim is like 20 years younger than him and more-or-less in the age group I would have shot for

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Out of all the casting choices he is probably the most accurate one in matching the character in the new games.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I loving love the Mortal Kombat theme song so much.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is one of those movies where it's gonna be just as important to nail the soundtrack on as the film itself.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: Like I don't think Scorp should be a kid or anything, but Sanada's pushing 60. Taslim is like 20 years younger than him and more-or-less in the age group I would have shot for

honestly i think the character of Scorpion works better as a slightly older man (well, i mean dude is immortal but the actor isn't), especially because he and Sub-Zero had a tendency to be incredibly similar (like in the first movie, where they were essentially creepy ninja body-guards).

also if you can cast Hiroyuki Sanada in your movie, you find a place for him. He probably would have made a good Shang Tsung also

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

At least in Mortal Kombat XI we get a older Scorpian in the story mode.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Okay, but who's playing Kobra?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The new mortal kombat game owned and was a huge success

I am hoping that this movie will also "own" and be a "huge success"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I seriously doubt this movie will be as risky and interesting as the original. It'll probably just have a lot of terrible-looking CG blood.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Lurdiak posted:

I seriously doubt this movie will be as risky and interesting as the original. It'll probably just have a lot of terrible-looking CG blood.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Well the original is basically an Enter the Dragon ripoff with horribly dated CGI, an awesome but also very dated soundtrack and just enough self awareness of its own ridiculousness to make it all work. Still the best videogame movie IMO but not a piece of high art by any means.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cacator posted:

Well the original is basically an Enter the Dragon ripoff with horribly dated CGI, an awesome but also very dated soundtrack and just enough self awareness of its own ridiculousness to make it all work. Still the best videogame movie IMO but not a piece of high art by any means.

No, but it's unique and weird. They went all out with the sets and the Goro muppet, they correctly identified what the games were ripping off and ripped it off more, they leaned into the camp without just making it a comedy or an embarrassing disaster like Street Fighter, and they cast some really good c-tier actors to chew the scenery.

It'd be pretty easy to make a "better" movie than Mortal Kombat, but I just expect it to be Grey Action Movie #2076450, with the stylistic confidence and cultural impact of that A-team movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wondering if I'm going to recognise the scenery given iirc they're filming in Adelaide. Still hoping there's a Fatality with the Mall's Balls.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The A-Team movie was actually good though.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
They should hire just one actor to play Scorpion, Sub Zero, Reptile, Ermac, Noob Saibot, Smoke and Rain so this movie's already off to a bad start IMO.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm ready for Uncle Iroh-spitting-fire-all-day-Scorpion dunking on younger Sub-Zero all day and constantly pointing out what a dumbass his older brother was.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't really know anything about Mehcad Brooks, but I did a google image search and the dude has a 12 year old's head on a giant beefy body and I can't stop cracking up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You need two things to be mortal kombat, tournament arcs and rap tracks. Ideally if MK11 is anything to go off of a rap track about a tournament arc.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Aw man. They're gonna try to make this a serious movie instead of a proper movie about Johnny Cage nutpunching his way across Outworld, aren't they?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Minus the 2011 reboot, Mortal Kombat's story in the games hasn't had an actual tournament arc since MK2 over 25 years ago.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The games have a story?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yes, an incredibly convoluted and stupid one in fact. It's glorious.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
but who will play Future Raiden and Future Past Raiden

edit: and Evil Future Raiden

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The modern Mortal Kombat games, at least, know full well that they're stupid as hell in story, and lean into that hammy, not terribly serious direction. I'm not sure if I hope this movie will follow suit or not.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Is the Mortal Kombat Legacy series from a few years ago worth tracking down?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

peer posted:

but who will play Future Raiden and Future Past Raiden

edit: and Evil Future Raiden

Christopher Lambert should cameo as future Raiden.

EDIT:

hehehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FswhQmILLU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The new one is about how much Raiden sucks across two time lines, a ton of character development, using time travel to defeat racism in america, and how punching people in the balls can be a family bonding moment. Also an excellent use of a rap tracks.

In summary MK11 gave its devs PTSD to design the fatalities but Id say the majority of people playing gave way more of a poo poo about what happened to your boy Liu Kang and how they made up for doing him dirty.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The games have a story?

I feel like this is a joke you make about street fighter. Mortal Kombat has always been a thing where it alternates between making up whatever silly thing they want on the fly then making that silly thing have deep and important lore in the next game. It's one of the most charming things about mortal kombat. I feel like plenty of people play the modern games just for the story even. For the extremely good mix of "this is stupid as hell but we made our bed and have to lay in it so we are playing this joke character 1000000% straight but also we know how dumb this is and know what to ratchet up"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MK9's story mode was revolutionary because it was the first fighting game since Art of Fighting where you knew 100% what had happened in the story and didn't have to wait until the next game tells you which of the 40 contradictory arcade endings were canon.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yeah, it's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

AFewBricksShy posted:

A chunk of the first season is on YouTube to get started.

Lurdiak posted:

MK9's story mode was revolutionary because it was the first fighting game since Art of Fighting where you knew 100% what had happened in the story and didn't have to wait until the next game tells you which of the 40 contradictory arcade endings were canon.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 19, 2019