Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I mean between Bulma, Ox King, and Mr Satan, that's probably like 70% of the planet's wealth right there.

There's one line of dialogue early in Super where Chichi says the Ox King's mountain caught fire again and destroyed their family wealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fact that Goku farms radishes is such a dumb gag but I can't help liking it anyway.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

RFC2324 posted:

It just occurred to me that there is no reason for any of the z fighters to work, even tho they do. Mr Satan is one of the richest people on Earth in part because of them letting him keep his reputation as champ. Why is he not paying for their modest lives?

Didn't he give Goku a bunch of money in like the first few episodes of Super?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kazy posted:

Didn't he give Goku a bunch of money in like the first few episodes of Super?

Yeah but ChiChi told him they spent it all really quick because she didn't want her layabout husband laying about

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gripweed posted:

Yeah but ChiChi told him they spent it all really quick because she didn't want her layabout husband laying about

Okay can we talk about this for minute? Because yeah I know it's for a joke and everything but lying to your spouse about finances is really not okay. In fact the whole way ChiChi treats Goku like he's her third child who needs to be scolded and disciplined seems like a really unhealthy relationship to me.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

yamcha plays baseball and tien runs a dojo

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Okay can we talk about this for minute? Because yeah I know it's for a joke and everything but lying to your spouse about finances is really not okay. In fact the whole way ChiChi treats Goku like he's her third child who needs to be scolded and disciplined seems like a really unhealthy relationship to me.

Lol

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
ChiChi and Goku need to see a marriage counselor right away. That's a fact.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Your unhealthy might be someone else's perfect.

Goku is a pretty broken individual by any real metric

And do you think she can really make him do anything he doesn't want to?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Oh yeah it's not good. They decided to get married when they were 12, actually got married when they were 18, and had a kid almost immediately. That's not a recipe for a good marriage. Especially when one of them is a socially stunted martial artist who spoke to literally one person for the entire first 12 years of his life and has the power of a god in his fists. ChiChi does her best to keep their family functional and provide a stable and supportive home for their sons. Which is very hard to do when your spouse spends a good amount of time voluntarily dead or in space, and you can't get a full time job yourself because you A: have no formal education and B: have to basically work a full time job already cooking for the hyperactive alien metabolisms of your spouse and children.

Are ChiChi's methods(primarily hectoring and guilt) healthy? No. But do they work? Kinda.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I'm being completely real, I just hate the way ChiChi was written as this nagging housewife when there was nothing in her characterization in Dragonball that implied she was going to turn out like that. It turned her and Goku's relationship into this stale joke of "Oh god the wife is on my case again."

edit: And the explanation that Goku's likes fighting too much to bring home the bacon doesn't even make sense. Mr. Satan became one of the richest people on Earth through his fighting career. You'd think the strongest guy in the universe could at least manage to live comfortably.

IWW Online Branch fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 19, 2019

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think she was written that way to be a stereotyped pushy mum and then as with a lot of things it hasnt aged well

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They got married after meeting literally twice. Once when they were 12 and again at the World Martial Arts Tournament when they were 18. ChiChi had no idea how nonfunctional Goku was when she married him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TrilliontonNixon posted:

If I'm being completely real, I just hate the way ChiChi was written as this nagging housewife when there was nothing in her characterization in Dragonball that implied she was going to turn out like that. It turned her and Goku's relationship into this stale joke of "Oh god the wife is on my case again."

You know, I rarely get that impression from Goku. He seems afraid of angering her, which most husbands are(reality isn't so over the top, obviously), but generally just seems to feel kinda bad when he disappoints her.

Gotta be a frustrating as hell husband, too, but she clearly loves him

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean all the wives outside like Videl are mostly naggy with occasional tender moments

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
TBF Bulma is housebreaking a murderous, genocidal alien overlord.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's a moment in an early episode of Gilmore Ball Z where Paige is like, "And suddenly there's this giant man with a cartoon voice and a viking helmet? Who is he? Why is he in their house?" and Grant says "Oh that's ChiChi's dad. He's called The Ox King" and Paige just quietly says "ok that explains a lot..."

ChiChi married a superstrong buffoon like her dad, but she still didn't know quite the extent to which Goku was a superstrong buffoon.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean all the wives outside like Videl are mostly naggy with occasional tender moments

18 isn't really, except that one weird moment where she basically said that Krillin had no balls because he didn't want to train with a guy about ten trillion times stronger than him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TrilliontonNixon posted:

18 isn't really, except that one weird moment where she basically said that Krillin had no balls because he didn't want to train with a guy about ten trillion times stronger than him.

I remember her basically strong arming him into the tournament for prize money

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

I remember her basically strong arming him into the tournament for prize money

That's just being savvy about money opportunities.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wasn't chichi marrying goku specifically because toriyama didn't like writing her and wanted to force himself to keep her around

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Manatee Cannon posted:

wasn't chichi marrying goku specifically because toriyama didn't like writing her and wanted to force himself to keep her around

Yeah, that's literally it, he did it to punish himself. It's not surprising that he wrote her that negatively afterwards.

Like, for all Toriyama is just Not Good at writing relationships (something he's been fully honest about), Chi-chi is the only one that's portrayed that negatively. 18 is still a badass and clearly holds the pants in her family plus is clearly a very loving wife in a super happy marriage, Bulma is still the world's most competent person while also having sweet moments with Vegeta, and Videl lost all personality so she can't ever be either good or bad. To be fair, we do get some cute Goku/Chi-chi moments, but overall she comes across much worse than the other wives.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kanzaka was sorta similar in Slayers in that he didn't intend for Lina and Gourry to become a couple initially but after realizing that he liked the two little twerps interacting, he sorta went "Huh, well what the hell! :3:" going forward in the following novels.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think it was also because he thought he sucked at writing romance and didn’t want to drag Bulma and Goku into that

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

re: finances

wasn't it stated that goku and chi chi live off money goku won in the martial arts tournaments growing up?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Goku is basically Homer Simpson who's also kung fu Superman.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

wasn't it stated that goku and chi chi live off money goku won in the martial arts tournaments growing up?

I think goku only ever one the one with piccolo, and I kinda doubt it would be enough for him anyway since 12 year old goku are his way through Roshi’s prize money abs all

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TrilliontonNixon posted:

To be fair to Chi-Chi, the reason she's done this is to save the money for Goten's education, or help buy supplies for baby Pan. That, and she knows Goku would use the money as an excuse to ditch work and go train again.

RFC2324 posted:

You know, I rarely get that impression from Goku. He seems afraid of angering her, which most husbands are(reality isn't so over the top, obviously), but generally just seems to feel kinda bad when he disappoints her.

Gotta be a frustrating as hell husband, too, but she clearly loves him

Yeah, by Super, Chi-Chi seems to have accepted that Goku would always go off for weeks or months to train. The only times she gets mad is when he ditches work or damages their home.

Mr Interweb posted:

It's not stated but the implication is that they lived off by selling Ox King's treasures throughout the years, since feeding Saiyans costs a fortune. They point out around the start of Super that Ox King's flat-out broke.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I want to see the version of Dragonball where Goku has to get a job working on some cargo ship loading dock and Chi-chi has to work at a diner just to help make ends meet. There could be a subplot about the union being on strike and Goku being down on his luck. It would be tough for them.. so tough.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

New Leaf posted:

I want to see the version of Dragonball where Goku has to get a job working on some cargo ship loading dock and Chi-chi has to work at a diner just to help make ends meet. There could be a subplot about the union being on strike and Goku being down on his luck. It would be tough for them.. so tough.

pretty sure that would be the best episode because we would get to see Goku punch capitalism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I don't think it's necessarily deliberate, but I actually think a big part of the charm of Dragon Ball's slice of life parts is how different and messy a lot of the relationships are; there's no storybook marriages and perfect picket fence lives, while also not being constant drama; Goku and Chi-Chi don't have an ideal relationship but they seem comfortable in it anyway, while Bulma and Vegeta seemingly started as basically a fling and have gotten a lot more comfortable with each other over the years. There's friends who drift apart, friends who stick around after years even though you don't have a lot in common anymore because you still get along fine, friends who drift back... it comes off as rather real and also makes sense for a big and informal clan of sorts whose bonds were forged in battle both against and alongside each other.

Seems like if there's any overarching theme with Super, if also possibly accidental, it's that everyone's trying to find a balance of work, life and training that works for them.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

pretty sure that would be the best episode because we would get to see Goku punch capitalism

Wouldn't this mean that Goku would try and punch Bulma?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I know Bulma is a billionaire but Capsule doesn't seem seedy and underhanded. It's like they're billionaires because people essentially have no other options so they're presumably reasonably priced and highly affordable. It's not like you see some corporate struggle between Capsule Corp and Pellet Co. batting it out for "fitting large things inside a portable pill-sized container" supremacy.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

A big thing about DBZ's relationship stuff is how much of it is off-screen. Think about how often Vegeta and Bulma actually interact in DBZ - in Super they spend a lot of time together, but before that we basically just have to take characters' at their word or make assumptions based on their current situation. This actually works to its benefit - DBZ was a weekly punchfight manga, and the tone/content makes it very difficult to include real relationship building in a way that doesn't interfere with the pacing. In an anime, dedicating an episode to goofier low-key stuff isn't that big a deal, but in a manga a LOT less ground is covered per week, so it's a lot more important to consider priorities. This ALSO has the advantage of letting the reader make assumptions about the relationship and how it progressed rather than simply have it described or shown to them - which might help quite a bit, since what the reader makes up is probably something they like a lot more than what would be shown. Obviously, this is an absolutely terrible way to write a story where such relationships are more important to the plot, but in a story like DBZ where they mostly exist to facilitate some superpowered action punchfights, it ends up working out okay.

Dragon Ball Super, on the other hand, makes these relationships much more relevant and thus dedicates more screentime to it, and I think it does a surprisingly okay job (the anime, at least. I didn't start reading the manga before Moro and while I like that arc so far I head it was pretty bad before that).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean they do have a monopoly on some of the most important tech in that world.

That they spend on lavish parties where they literally raffle the dragon balls away.

The main cast are not everyday people in more ways than one

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I know Bulma is a billionaire but Capsule doesn't seem seedy and underhanded. It's like they're billionaires because people essentially have no other options so they're presumably reasonably priced and highly affordable. It's not like you see some corporate struggle between Capsule Corp and Pellet Co. batting it out for "fitting large things inside a portable pill-sized container" supremacy.

a monopoly causes prices to inflate because you have nowhere else to go and the company knows it

I wouldn't think about capsule corp that hard tho. it's just an excuse for why bulma's smart and has money

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Right I know how capitalism works in our world, but in Dragonball world there doesn't seem to be a reason to inflate prices because it's almost a utopian society... you know, except for Uub's tribe and that guy from the old tournaments. It feels like everyone has capsules for everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Capsule Corp is leaving even more money on the table considering no one else seems to have Capsule technology up to and including the gods.

I get the impression you don't see them more widely used because there's hilarious potential for the technology to cause injury when in the wrong hands. You saw a lot more casual use of it in Dragon Ball, mainly to facilitate Bulma's life on the road.

New Leaf posted:

Right I know how capitalism works in our world, but in Dragonball world there doesn't seem to be a reason to inflate prices because it's almost a utopian society... you know, except for Uub's tribe and that guy from the old tournaments. It feels like everyone has capsules for everything.

I remember the Arab dude, the main issue was that his people lived in a hardscrabble desert and had their regular water supply suddenly dry up. Kinda get the impression there's a lot more untamed wilderness in Dragon Ball Earth.

We're probably in U6.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we know basically nothing about society in dragon ball land outside of the fact that you can store anything in a capsule and that a dog is world president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was curious after finding out about Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans so I looked it up, there is a ton of Dragon Ball Z content that never got released in America! On top of both versions of Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans, there's also Yo Son Goku And His Friends Return and Episode of Bardock. That's four OVAs, over two hours of content! Why have they never seen an English dub or American release?