Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Gripweed posted:

I was curious after finding out about Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans so I looked it up, there is a ton of Dragon Ball Z content that never got released in America! On top of both versions of Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans, there's also Yo Son Goku And His Friends Return and Episode of Bardock. That's four OVAs, over two hours of content! Why have they never seen an English dub or American release?

You do not want a dub of Episode of Bardock. TFS did a way better job with it than Funimation ever could.

It's REALLY REALLY bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Some Numbers posted:

You do not want a dub of Episode of Bardock. TFS did a way better job with it than Funimation ever could.

It's REALLY REALLY bad.

Any Bardock is good Bardock. I still think he had the coolest armor design and he got shafted when they changed it for the Broly movie. I used it for my Saiyan in Xenoverse 2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Some Numbers posted:

It's REALLY REALLY bad.

I want it all. I want all the content. I read That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha, however bad Episode of Bardock is, I can take it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I want it all. I want all the content. I read That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha, however bad Episode of Bardock is, I can take it.

When Freeza destroyed Vegeta, Bardock got sent back in time to a time when Vegeta was still called Plant, encountered proto-Saiyans (that don't look anything like Saiyans), fought Freeza's ancestor Chilled and became the first Super Saiyan.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Goku is basically Homer Simpson who's also kung fu Superman.

Dental Plan!

Goten needs braces.

Dental Plan!

Goten needs braces.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Like, as much as people complain about Dragonball Minus (justifiably), it's an order of magnitude better than Episode of Bardock.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Some Numbers posted:

When Freeza destroyed Vegeta, Bardock got sent back in time to a time when Vegeta was still called Plant, encountered proto-Saiyans (that don't look anything like Saiyans), fought Freeza's ancestor Chilled and became the first Super Saiyan.

Yeah sounds fine

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Them being proto-saiyans was a DBZA joke. It takes place on planet Plant/Vegeta, which was conquered by Saiyans and wasn't their native planet. Episode of Bardock is insanely dumb, but it's not that dumb, sadly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zinkraptor posted:

Them being proto-saiyans was a DBZA joke. It takes place on planet Plant/Vegeta, which was conquered by Saiyans and wasn't their native planet. Episode of Bardock is insanely dumb, but it's not that dumb, sadly.

Okay, so they were proto-Tuffles.

That actually makes it worse, because then Bardock defended the race that the Saiyans eventually went to war with because....reasons?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Some Numbers posted:

Okay, so they were proto-Tuffles.

That actually makes it worse, because then Bardock defended the race that the Saiyans eventually went to war with because....reasons?

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that Saiyans could fight somebody and then later on be friends with them and fight for them.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I like to imagine they were still around on the planet when the Saiyans attack (sorta like how DB Earth still occasionally has animal people and such) and were very confused when people fitting the description of their legendary savior from so many years ago just show up and murder them all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that Saiyans could fight somebody and then later on be friends with them and fight for them.

Yeah that is literally the opposite of how the saiyan operate, retcons aside

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Manatee Cannon posted:

we know basically nothing about society in dragon ball land outside of the fact that you can store anything in a capsule and that a dog is world president

I like to split the difference and figure he's an elected monarch. I think that's DBZA canon.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I like to split the difference and figure he's an elected monarch. I think that's DBZA canon.

The running theory is that it's hereditary, since there is a pic of him standing in front of a portraits of previous king dogs, and the first wish made was to be king.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gripweed posted:

I was curious after finding out about Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans so I looked it up, there is a ton of Dragon Ball Z content that never got released in America! On top of both versions of Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans, there's also Yo Son Goku And His Friends Return and Episode of Bardock. That's four OVAs, over two hours of content! Why have they never seen an English dub or American release?

Yo son Goku and Friends Return ---> Not missing much

Episode of Bardock ----> Dumpster Fire

Plan to Eradicte the Sayians ----> The remade OVA was a bonus for buying Dragonball Raging Blast 2

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't have a PS3, apparently Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 was a very bad game, and I can't find any evidence that they even dubbed it so that doesn't count

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
It's on YouTube I think.. or at least I saw it there. My main problem with it is that it shows Goku figuring out something that clearly should have been noticed by Piccolo or Gohan.

Edit: Yep.. quality isn't great but I didn't exactly look hard for it. Edit2: Better version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrexKzUhagw

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 19, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RFC2324 posted:

The running theory is that it's hereditary, since there is a pic of him standing in front of a portraits of previous king dogs, and the first wish made was to be king.

That might actually explain a lot, and is funny if the dog who wished to be king has so far done a good enough job at it no one's overthrown them.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Covok posted:

Yo son Goku and Friends Return ---> Not missing much

Except the first canon appearance of Tarble :colbert:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That might actually explain a lot, and is funny if the dog who wished to be king has so far done a good enough job at it no one's overthrown them.

Well, except for King Piccolo, but no one remembers him.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Fuego Fish posted:

NOT.

MISSING.

MUCH.

:colbert:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Gripweed posted:

I don't have a PS3, apparently Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 was a very bad game, and I can't find any evidence that they even dubbed it so that doesn't count

I dont remember it being THAT bad(it was pretty bad if you dont like dbz), but it was definitely part of the natural evolution that the tenkaichi budokai games were heading towards xenoverse with. The roster in the game was impressive though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Fuego Fish posted:

The first, and last.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

look, quality doesn't matter. I want all of Dragon Ball dubbed in English, on bluray

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fuego Fish posted:

Vegeta was very clear on Broly that he does not care, and neither do I.

That said, that special is probably noteworthy just because it's actually canon and referenced afterwards by BoG and Broly, unlike the rest.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

goku loves his wife

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fuego Fish posted:

It just occurred to me that Tarble is now most likely the last saiyan in existence who still has their tail. Everyone else is either an amputee, dead, or a tailless freak from universe 6.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fereydun posted:

goku loves his wife

don't project human emotions onto goku

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

New Leaf posted:

Any Bardock is good Bardock. I still think he had the coolest armor design and he got shafted when they changed it for the Broly movie. I used it for my Saiyan in Xenoverse 2.

Bardock has gotten less and less cool everytime he shows up. Best thing he was ever in was the first ova special .

I can tolerate him in the broly movie, but they lost the biggest thing that made his character appealing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monaghan posted:

Bardock has gotten less and less cool everytime he shows up. Best thing he was ever in was the first ova special .

I can tolerate him in the broly movie, but they lost the biggest thing that made his character appealing.

OVA > Broly > Minus > Episode of Bardock

I'll ignore game interpretations because otherwise I'll be here forever, but points to Supersonic Warriors for having Bardock want to conquer Heaven, very Saiyan of him.

Consider the gap between Broly and Minus as the difference between good and bad Bardock.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bardock has only really been good in the original special. Everything else outside some games has been shockingly bad

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I don't get what's the deal with Americans having this huge boner for rear end in a top hat-Bardock.
At least in the Spanish speaking communities I know (that haven't been contaminated by the American overmind, you can tell when this happens), Bardock Is considered a better character on Broly because it gave him depth, Vegeta is a jackass for like 90% of Z, and Goku Nº1 always.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Because being an rear end in a top hat who was just a dude made him interesting. He wasn’t a hero or an antagonist just like a lovely dude in a lovely situation. Now they are desperately trying to graft really lame and in my opinion half assed poo poo to try and give him depth but it never really works. He is still really shallow but in a boring way

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I dunno, imo assholes are boring. My opinion about Bardock pre-minus Is the same as my opinion on Saiyan Saga Vegeta: rear end in a top hat who kills entire planets for profit. Scum.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh he wasn’t a good person but that’s what made him interesting, he was basically the typical Saiyan and was a good window into how hosed up they are. Trying to make him a father figure kind of goes against what his purpose was which if they leaned into it could work but for the most part it’s just there.

They should just use a Bardock as a way to see Saiyan society but minus goes the complete opposite direction by making him unique to other saiyan, but not like that unique as a character

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

sassassin posted:

don't project human emotions onto goku

goku LOVES his WIFE

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goku would never in a million years willingly wear those kind of clothes.

ChiChi is clearly cheating on him with Goku Black in this image.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Impossible

Goku Black is Zamsusexual

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goku canonically sucks at driving so I'm just going to assume that's Black again.