Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
IANAL isn't there some kind of supremacy clause equivalent that applies to state authority taking precidence over city/county authority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

klosterdev posted:

IANAL isn't there some kind of supremacy clause equivalent that applies to state authority taking precidence over city/county authority

Apparently in Iowa, the State has to confirm with the county for anything, as the county 'owns' the building.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 19, 2019

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

CommieGIR posted:

Its looks like the Iowa Pen Test gig, they were authorized to be there, they showed the Sheriff their documentation, and he arrested and charged them anyways.

https://twitter.com/cullend/status/1174467927510175745?s=20

oh this is going to be entertaining

mystes
May 31, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Its looks like the Iowa Pen Test gig, they were authorized to be there, they showed the Sheriff their documentation, and he arrested and charged them anyways.

https://twitter.com/cullend/status/1174467927510175745?s=20
If I was a pen tester I would definitely not want to go anywhere near any sort of government building precisely because in the US you know there would be some sort of bullshit jurisdictional issue and an elected sheriff would try to turn it into a test case for local self governance or something. If they're really unlucky the county judge is also elected there and will have similar political motivations to try to grandstand to chuds.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 19, 2019

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

mystes posted:

If I was a pen tester I would definitely not want to go anywhere near any sort of government building precisely because in the US you know there would be some sort of bullshit jurisdictional issue and an elected sheriff would try to turn it into a test case for local self governance or something. If they're really unlucky the county judge is also elected there and will have similar political motivations to try to grandstand to chuds.

Strong Against Hacking, Strong For Our Citizens Privacy

Death penalty.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think it's less about needing a specifically non-secure random number and more about being assured that a random number will be delivered regardless of whether it is secure or not, because if i'm understanding correctly there are scenarios in which the current secure random number generator may fail, timeout, or otherwise be unable to deliver a secure random number.

yeah I got burned by /dev/random literally yesterday, but imo paranoia about /dev/urandom is unwarranted

tom ptacek’s https://sockpuppet.org/blog/2014/02/25/safely-generate-random-numbers/ is pretty positive on urandom and has what I’d consider a pretty good list of reviewers:

quote:

Thanks to Matthew Green, Nate Lawson, Sean Devlin, Coda Hale, and Alex Balducci for reading drafts of this. Fair warning: Matthew only mostly agrees with me.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Lain Iwakura posted:

oh this is going to be entertaining

LOL King George did nothing wrong usa broken irreparably since 1776

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I found the sheriff's website. He has a list of endorsements on it. One endorsement is from former Iowa state rep Ralph Watts, who was apparently the Steve King of the Iowa Legislature:

quote:

A 73-year-old, eight-term incumbent from Adel, Ralph Watts has a reputation for being an unlikeable guy, even among his fellow Republicans, who neglected to give him any committee leadership spots in the House. Recently, Watts has perhaps been best known as the lawmaker who allegedly used a gay slur against a political rival at a public forum in February 2017.

Video footage from the event at the Adel library, recorded by Kale Smith, the husband of Watts’ 2016 Democratic rival Bryce Smith, who didn’t attend, quickly spread on social media. The video showed Watts asking Kale on three occasions, “Where is red rider?” — referring to Bryce, a red-haired man in his mid-20s. The LGBT-rights group One Iowa accused Watts of using “a derogatory term for a gay man,” although if he did, it was apparently uncommon. A New York journalist who is gay expressed doubt that it was a slur on Twitter, and the news site LGBTQ Nation seemed uncertain, too, sourcing “red rider” as a slur to an Urban Dictionary definition referring to a “top in a gay relationship” who “does not wear protection (condoms) and is into rough sex.”

Whatever the case, Watts denied the allegations, telling the Des Moines Register that he was referring to a Red Ryder BB gun. “It’s used to teach kids how to use a weapon and shows them responsibility and shows they’re capable of using something more powerful,” he explained. “With some of the things that have happened, the constant sniping and constant obscure criticism shows me that he hasn’t progressed past the Red Ryder stage.”

The lawmaker then proceeded to shoot himself in the foot, answering a question about the controversy at an event hosted by the Urbandale Chamber of Commerce by saying, “Anything you say to a gay anymore is a gay slur.”

Another endorsement comes from Chris Tjapkes, (former?) pastor at First Baptist Church in Perry, IA. The church's website doesn't give away the game, but if you click through to their Twitter profile, they are following several "fundamental Baptist" accounts. For those who don't know, "fundamental Baptist" churches in America are some of the most extremist of the extreme right-wing Evangelicals. I clicked through to two different organizations the church follows on Twitter in order to verify that they are, indeed, the kind of church that believes the modern state of Israel must exist in order for their Dungeons and Dragons interpretation of the book of Revelation to come true.

the guy is nuts

mystes
May 31, 2006

exmachina posted:

LOL King George did nothing wrong usa broken irreparably since 1776
This but unironically.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
france's political movement in 1789 was probably the best political movement

the united states' move in 1776 was up there, though

monarchies get the guillotine

software should be free

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

software should be free

have you ever given up and apologized for unironically trafficing in the racist and ableist slur of "mongoloid"?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the guy is nuts

lol at “i wasn’t sure what this meant so i looked it up in urban dictionary which said it was a slur” not only being taken seriously but actually getting printed in a news article

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

software should be free

1789 was just liberal nobles and the new rich commoners trying to emulate Britain and American revolutions.

Seriously everything up to and including 1917 started with the English Civil War. Read the Putney debates, and even some more extreme poo poo like the Diggers (aka the True Levelers) ignore the Puritan stuff (which I believe was a reaction to the church protecting the nobility against the 3rd estate) and you basically get liberal democracies from 1776 to the great depression. And most of the changes were positive, they were just able to kick some economic/social cans down the road as life got better for everyone as the old feudal inefficiencies got scrapped.

After Cromwells Commonwealth fell apart, parliament set the precedent of inviting Charles II to establish parliamentary supremacy over the king. The Glorious Revolution and the crowning of George I meant the King of England has pretty much only one power, to dissolve parliament and call for elections. This power protects the people against corrupt or dysfunctional parliament and has been used once in the last few centuries, in Australia of all places. The king must lobby no one, owes nobody any favours for their position and the upkeep paid by the UK is actually a lease of huge amounts of land now used for the public good.

To conflate a limited, constitutional monarchy with ancien regime France is stupid.

Edit: Monarchy, the true secfuck

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

exmachina posted:

Read the Putney debates

I have never heard of this, so I will read it.

You a history major or what?

Sometimes I think I can answer jeopardy questions and get poo poo right but history majors always blow my mind.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
No I read a lot. But Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast is really good. Also a dead podcast called Binge Thinking History had an episode on the Putney debates and a two parter on the South Sea Bubble (early 18th century) that I recommend.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
God I wish I could read like I used to. College absolutely obliterated my desire to read recreationally and it's only been the past year or so that I've been able to consistently do it.

I'll check those podcasts out, though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Same. These days I listen to podcasts or audiobooks while driving or running so I can at least pretend to be well read.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

God I wish I could read like I used to. College absolutely obliterated my desire to read recreationally and it's only been the past year or so that I've been able to consistently do it.

I'll check those podcasts out, though.

Binge thinking actually starts with a 3 parter on the links between the Civil War and the founding fathers.

Here is the Putney debate episode. I found it easier to download the MP3, cos it is not optimised for modern podcatchers http://bingethinkinghistory.blogspot.com/2011/04/19-putney-debates.html

exmachina fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 19, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

suffix posted:

python had to deal with this and tediously hashed out exactly what required blocking on entropy (anything that users in turn will be relying on to be secure) and what didn't (hash table randomization)

https://bugs.python.org/issue26839

note that they spotted hangs of 90 seconds in the wild
in all that time /dev/urandom on linux would have been happily pouring out faux randomness, which is why relying on secure numbers from /dev/urandom any time other people will be running your code in unpredictable circumstances is computer malpractice
So far as I understand it, which is admittedly not perfect, Yarrow previously, and now Fortuna, are able to provide a /dev/random that doesn't ever block on FreeBSD once it's well-seeded (and the system won't start up until it is), and the idea that /dev/urandom on Linux is bad to draw too much randomness from changed when the code was changed to ChaCha20 in 2016.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 19, 2019

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
the problem isn't drawing "too much randomness", the problem is that on linux reading urandom before it is well-seeded will not block, but instead give you nonrandom, predictable data

we know this is a real world problem https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/usenixsecurity12/sec12-final228.pdf but somehow there's still a "just use urandom" meme going around and you get garbage articles like

tpacek can bloviate as much as he wants but anyone can read the kernel source and verify that if your code relies on urandom being random it is catastrophically broken if someone calls it early enough after boot, where early enough can sometimes be within a minute

if you make sure your code won't compile on linux or if you're only ever running it yourself and have hardware rng then sure but why risk it, just use getrandom(), unless linus fucks that up too

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
maybe you should accept that the idea of computer security is a fever dream and abandon the concept of electronic computation

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

suffix posted:

the problem isn't drawing "too much randomness", the problem is that on linux reading urandom before it is well-seeded will not block, but instead give you nonrandom, predictable data

we know this is a real world problem https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/usenixsecurity12/sec12-final228.pdf but somehow there's still a "just use urandom" meme going around and you get garbage articles like

tpacek can bloviate as much as he wants but anyone can read the kernel source and verify that if your code relies on urandom being random it is catastrophically broken if someone calls it early enough after boot, where early enough can sometimes be within a minute

if you make sure your code won't compile on linux or if you're only ever running it yourself and have hardware rng then sure but why risk it, just use getrandom(), unless linus fucks that up too
Ensuring that /dev/urandom is well-seeded before other applications can use it is a startup-problem, I wonder why that hasn't been fixed.
Oh, right.

redleader posted:

maybe you should accept that the idea of computer security is a fever dream and abandon the concept of electronic computation
This here is the right answer.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Maybe I'm loving dumb, but why not just make a Linux kernel compile flag to toggle /dev/urandom behavior between "don't start launching non-kernel code until '/dev/urandom' is seeded" (ALA BSD) and the more traditional "just boot that poo poo up and gently caress userspace, make userspace deal with it". Y'know, let people decide whether they want their OS boots to take longer in order to secure their god-drat entropy pool.

Like everything I ever read about Linux Torvalds technical decisions is him basically saying "this is someone else's problem".

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Half-wit posted:

Y'know, let people decide whether they want their OS boots to take longer in order to secure their god-drat entropy pool.

yeah just give the user that prompt every time they reboot

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Half-wit posted:

Maybe I'm loving dumb, but why not just make a Linux kernel compile flag to toggle /dev/urandom behavior between "don't start launching non-kernel code until '/dev/urandom' is seeded" (ALA BSD) and the more traditional "just boot that poo poo up and gently caress userspace, make userspace deal with it". Y'know, let people decide whether they want their OS boots to take longer in order to secure their god-drat entropy pool.

Like everything I ever read about Linux Torvalds technical decisions is him basically saying "this is someone else's problem".

Because a whole load of your user space will fail horribly and unpredictably. I’m paranoid enough that tests for code I’ve written do statistical tests on things that should be pseudo random, most of the code your’re relying on doesn’t.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Hexyflexy posted:

Because a whole load of your user space will fail horribly and unpredictably. I’m paranoid enough that tests for code I’ve written do statistical tests on things that should be pseudo random, most of the code your’re relying on doesn’t.

Half-wit posted:

"don't start launching non-kernel code until '/dev/urandom' is seeded" (ALA BSD)

How is computer getting to userspace if userspace isn't launched yet?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
the idea is that the kernel should handle preparing kernel services instead of userspace, but because it's a thing that would make security people happy linux torvalds is against it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Hexyflexy posted:

statistical tests won’t help you if the problem is that you’re using a good prng but with a predictable seed.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the idea is that the kernel should handle preparing kernel services instead of userspace, but because it's a thing that would make security people happy linux torvalds is against it

lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

linus can never fail, he can only be failed

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

You and me both. It's two years since I finished my PhD. I still can't put a dent in a novel. I really hope this gets better.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

yoloer420 posted:

You and me both. It's two years since I finished my PhD. I still can't put a dent in a novel. I really hope this gets better.

Takes about a decade after you leave uni.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Half-wit posted:

How about this except rather than a kernel parameter we just make another version of /dev/urandom that blocks so programs can choose which one they want to read from? We can call it /dev/urandom2 or something.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

urandom-er_final_v2

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

mystes posted:

How about this except rather than a kernel parameter we just make another version of /dev/urandom that blocks so programs can choose which one they want to read from? We can call it /dev/urandom2 or something.

/dev/random
/dev/urandom
/dev/arandom
/dev/srandom

I hate computers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
urandom/morerandom

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

infernal machines posted:

urandom/morerandom

mo random mo problems

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

/dev/aynrandom, the objective-oriented rng

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/asluhn/status/1172433125432942592?s=12

Сраные мусора!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

flakeloaf posted:

/dev/aynrandom, the objective-oriented rng

is a man not entitled to the seed of his prng?