Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Netflix and Hulu are pretty entrenched. Apple and Amazon and bundling their services with their other products. The rest are a tossup at best as far as I'm concerned.

It's so easy to hop into a service for a few months and then cancel when you've gotten what you wanted from it, compared to the bad old days of having to call the cable co and get the AOL treatment when you try to cancel anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Quibi is the only one not owned by a billion (or trillion) dollar corporation, so I don't see how it lasts too long. Every other one can be either a) a loss leader for years or b) small enough to survive on niche programming.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I've never even heard of Quibi but according to wikipedia Meg Whitman is the CEO. Real aura of success about it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

tweet my meat posted:

The Spy was some really good spy drama. Doesn't wear out it's welcome on a binge watch either at a lean 6 episodes.

Yeah I just finished this last night and thought it was pretty drat good. Last couple episodes felt a bit rushed to me and some parts were a little telegraphed (haha!) but overall a very solid show!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I figure Netflix, Hulu and Prime are untouchable, Disney will probably do well, beyond that ?

CBS All Access may be in trouble, do they have anything beyond their originals? Like the popular CBS shows are all on other sites.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There may not be any "untouchable" if people who have been content to stay on Netflix start hopping between services each month.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I thought nothing could be worse for Star Trek then Into Darkness or like those last two TNG movies but HERE WE ARE.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

I thought nothing could be worse for Star Trek then Into Darkness or like those last two TNG movies but HERE WE ARE.

I've never been a big Star Trek fan, but Discovery is by far my favorite Trek ever. Season 2 is going to be my top show of 2019 when we all make our lists in TVIV at the end of the year. My wife, who had only ever seen the first Abrams movie and no other Trek ever, also loved it.

I honestly think Discovery was meant for the most casual viewers like me and brand-new audiences like her. Then again, my best friend is a lifelong Trekkie, and he loved it too.

It's a shame it's on a streaming service most people won't subscribe to, because it was so good, and I think it could be an even bigger crossover hit.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm on season four of Deep Space 9 and it's probably my favorite Trek now. Sisko rules

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I figure Netflix, Hulu and Prime are untouchable, Disney will probably do well, beyond that ?

CBS All Access may be in trouble, do they have anything beyond their originals? Like the popular CBS shows are all on other sites.

I'm looking forward to Picard. I'll probably subscribe long enough to check it out (and probably watch Discovery while I'm at it).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm on season four of Deep Space 9 and it's probably my favorite Trek now. Sisko rules

Sisko indeed rules.

I wanna watch Discovery sometime but I wasn't sold on the idea of more prequel. That's why Picard excites me. Yeah, it's going back to the TNG era well, but at least it's moving forward.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Was there a deal for Apple TV + Apple Arcade? If so I can see myself getting that because so far Arcade has surpassed my expectations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've never been a big Star Trek fan, but Discovery is by far my favorite Trek ever. Season 2 is going to be my top show of 2019 when we all make our lists in TVIV at the end of the year. My wife, who had only ever seen the first Abrams movie and no other Trek ever, also loved it.

I honestly think Discovery was meant for the most casual viewers like me and brand-new audiences like her. Then again, my best friend is a lifelong Trekkie, and he loved it too.

It's a shame it's on a streaming service most people won't subscribe to, because it was so good, and I think it could be an even bigger crossover hit.

ST:Disco does not come from the same place that the TNG universe does. And TNG/DS9/VOY didn't come from the same era as 60s Trek, which are good things. Klingon makeup isn't the only thing that changes over decades.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I might be interested enough in The Stand to get CBS for a month or two

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sisko indeed rules.

I wanna watch Discovery sometime but I wasn't sold on the idea of more prequel. That's why Picard excites me. Yeah, it's going back to the TNG era well, but at least it's moving forward.

Sounds like season 3 of Discovery may be for you.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

mystes posted:

There may not be any "untouchable" if people who have been content to stay on Netflix start hopping between services each month.

For me at least, someone who doesn't care about watching old shows that much, it comes down to original programming. It seems like every month there is at least one or two new things on Netflix I need to binge (honestly Netflix has the largest quantity of both good and bad shows right now). So as long as Netflix keeps that up I will continue subscribing monthly. The question is can that continue that into the future? Netflix also would be smart to try some lock in pricing like they did many years ago.

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1174061375825432576

I think the network streaming services like CBS and Peacock are gonna fold first.

Outside of the Ronald Moore show, AppleTV+ looks unappealing. Still Apple did a smart thing by including a year free with new iPhones. Their first year numbers are going to be super inflated even if no one is watching. Still I just don't see how Apple can keep people subscribed to a streaming service with just their originals. Yes Netflix could do it, but they had a 6 year head-start (going by House of Cards release date). Maybe they are hoping people will just forget they are subscribed and they don't pay enough attention to their credit card statement to see that $5 monthly charge.

HBO Max is a curious one. Given how much just HBO cost now, adding Warner (which includes DC stuff) and Cinemax for same price seems like a good deal. Also they have come out guns a blazing with getting Friends and BBT (which I think both are pure trash, but the public disagrees). So I will be switching my HBO Now sub to HBO Max once released for sure.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 19, 2019

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1174061375825432576

I think the network streaming services like CBS and Peacock are gonna fold first.

Second Golden Age of Piracy came sooner into the decline of civilization than I expected

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

nate fisher posted:

For me at least, someone who doesn't care about watching old shows that much, it comes down to original programming. It seems like every month there is at least one or two new things on Netflix I need to binge (honestly Netflix has the largest quantity of both good and bad shows right now). So as long as Netflix keeps that up I will continue subscribing monthly. The question is can that continue that into the future? Netflix also would be smart to try some lock in pricing like they did many years ago.

Outside of the Ronald Moore show, AppleTV+ looks unappealing. Still Apple did a smart thing by including a year free with new iPhones. Their first year numbers are going to be super inflated even if no one is watching. Still I just don't see how Apple can keep people subscribed to a streaming service with just their originals. Yes Netflix could do it, but they had a 6 year head-start (going by House of Cards release date). Maybe they are hoping people will just forget they are subscribed and they don't pay enough attention to their credit card statement to see that $5 monthly charge.

HBO Max is a curious one. Given how much just HBO cost now, adding Warner (which includes DC stuff) and Cinemax for same price seems like a good deal. Also they have come out guns a blazing with getting Friends and BBT (which I think both are pure trash, but the public disagrees). So I will be switching my HBO Now sub to HBO Max once released for sure.

Apple is giving a free year to everyone who buys not just iPhones, but Macs, iPads, AppleTV, etc. I don’t know how many millions of devices Apple sells every year, but if just a fraction of them keep their subscription it will be a pretty large paying user base.

Also, next year I bet they come out with some sort of package deal for Apple Music, Arcade, News and TV.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TheManWithNoName posted:

Apple is giving a free year to everyone who buys not just iPhones, but Macs, iPads, AppleTV, etc. I don’t know how many millions of devices Apple sells every year, but if just a fraction of them keep their subscription it will be a pretty large paying user base.

Also, next year I bet they come out with some sort of package deal for Apple Music, Arcade, News and TV.

That is a good point. I really enjoyed Apple News for a few months (it is a great edition for anyone with an iPad), but given how often I used it I found the $9.99 price point slightly high for me. I do subscribe to Apple Music family plan at $15 a month. So if they did like $25-$30 for Music, Arcade, News, and TV+ I would be into. Actually please do this Apple.

Also just found out you can't stack the free years (was curious since I have 2 iPhones coming tomorrow). It is only once per lifetime of single or family account.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

nate fisher posted:

I'm almost certain HBO Max will be a combined HBO Now and HBO Go, given reports. It's just that it will now have a zillion new shows.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I started using Tubi the other night since it has an XB1 app and it seems... fine? The ads every 20 minutes are irritating and the quality on some titles is spotty, but the selection is pretty great.

It desperately needs a better search interface though. It reminds me of a worse version of the Prime app.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Since the old 90s Marvel cartoons are gonna be on Disney+, I hope they give you an option to toggle on the Fox Kids logo.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I hope that HBO Max has old Loony Tunes and gives them a really nice presentation/curation.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sisko indeed rules.

Big Discovery spoiler, it eventually goes REALLY forward in time, and that's what the third season is going to be about.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Timeless Appeal posted:

I hope that HBO Max has old Loony Tunes and gives them a really nice presentation/curation.

I really wish Warner and NBCU would fully utilize their massive film/tv library for their services but you know they won’t.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timeless Appeal posted:

Big Discovery spoiler, it eventually goes REALLY forward in time, and that's what the third season is going to be about.
Now I really want to watch Discovery

What is it that people don’t like about it? Are characters not as impossibly goody two-
shoes as in the old shows?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

david_a posted:

What is it that people don’t like about it? Are characters not as impossibly goody two-

It would be nice if nearly every character didn't act like an emotionally overwrought teenager or if it had any particular interest in any of its many sci-fi conceits. Imagine JJ Trek as a CW TV show and that's basically the pitch it's at. That said, it's fast and flashy and can be a lot of fun, and the hook for the next season is pretty compelling.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Churning through writing teams doesn't help the show either.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anybody watched Aniara? Goddamn

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

david_a posted:

The big problem is that the show is supposed be about humanity's brightest, but while watching it you constantly feel like screaming at most of them for being dumb, because the show doesn't allow any of them to voice obvious ideas or possibilities that somebody really should be raising in whatever situation they find themselves in. It makes you root for their well-deserved misfortune rather than cheer for their success.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm watching The Spy. Is it supposed to have a slight blurring effect around the edges of the picture?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm watching The Spy. Is it supposed to have a slight blurring effect around the edges of the picture?

You are having a stroke

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Oh hey, Bandersnatch just won Outstanding Television Film at the Emmys.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

You know that Boomerang has all of these for $4 a month, yeah?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
If anyone else here is in to weird, insanely bad movies, "was this a rifftrax?" bad, I want to recommend "Agent of Influence" (2002). I slurred at my Alexa and this movie started playing. I think that is the only way this movie can be summoned.

Edit: I posted this an hour in, it gets almost decent in the second half :confused:

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 23, 2019

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My wife, Jodie Comer, just won an Emmy for Killing Eve, which if you have Hulu and aren’t watching, you’re loving dead to me! Who fuckin knows when season 2 is coming though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Alec Eiffel posted:

My wife, Jodie Comer, just won an Emmy for Killing Eve, which if you have Hulu and aren’t watching, you’re loving dead to me! Who fuckin knows when season 2 is coming though.

This is well deserved. Everyone talks about Sandra Oh in it but Comer just blows everyone away zing

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Watched The Apple on Amazon Prime again this weekend with a group of people and it is a magical experience. It was part of a bad movie night but I absolutely don't agree with calling The Apple a bad movie, the story is pretty dumb but the musical numbers, the choreography, and the set and costume designs are out of control. As for the movie itself, well, it's a musical from 1980 about the dark future of 1994 where an evil corporation named BIM controls the music industry and kind of everything else. A couple of up and coming musicians get brought into the BIM Empire (Bimpire? wait... vampire?) and from there the movie just goes. There's hardly ever more than 5 minutes without another musical number. I highly recommend it, especially with a group of friends.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Watched Wu-Tang An American Saga on Hulu. This show is pretty amazing. It's only 5 episodes right now. I couldn't binge it because it's so heavy. It's a lot to take in. I barely know who Wu-Tang are/were, and I've never listened to their music and I'm not familiar with their story. I don't even know if this is a biopic thing or not. But, the characters are what it's about. I'd hate to invoke the Wire, but you get the same reaction here. You both want to cheer and scream at the decisions people are making.

I was confused when I finished episode 5 and there weren't any more. Who is dumb enough to only do 5 episodes of this? Looks like they're released weekly.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 23, 2019

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Medullah posted:

This is well deserved. Everyone talks about Sandra Oh in it but Comer just blows everyone away zing

I heard about this show on a recc from a Grey's Anatomy fan and honestly everything sucks about Killing Eve.

The assassin woman manages to have the least empathetic character of all crazy murderers.

I blame Joss Whedon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Oh hey, Bandersnatch just won Outstanding Television Film at the Emmys.

Should've been Deadwood.